Just got off Radiance this morning

Well after a long nap-im calm now. I wasnt ragging on Royal. I will cruise with them again in the future. I was complaining about not having enough food to accommodate the guests at dinner and my flooded room.I have always felt that Royal crew members give the best service. Our room attendant went above and beyond her duty. She sanitized our room so well, it smelled like bleach. All the crew members went out of their way to help. In fact, we tipped everyone above and beyond their customary tips. My husband and I were with each other most of the time. We did not travel with a group. A friend of ours organized a group. We ate dinner with them. So as one poster says-I probably caught it from one of the group. Only one person I knew had it when I got it. And she was 5 floors away. At any rate, all that matters is the medical care was quick, compassionite and helpful. As far as saying they refused me milk for my tea, I simply meant-they monitored what you ate for your own good. When I was released-I actually put my self on the brat diet so see if I could hold down my food. It wasnt part of my vacation plan to miss Cozumel and I felt horrible for my husband because he refused to get off the boat without me. Me-I slept for 24 hours and then I was fine. The problem most people had was everybody was dropping like flies and your got so paranoid-you were afraid to be with people for fear you would get if you didnt have it. Who knew how many people were stupid enough to not seek medical care for fear of being quaranteened.On another note-I might add I had a fantastic dinner at chops the nite before. So would definitely recommend it. The bottom line is when Im ready to cruise again-it will be on Royal because I still think they are the best.:p

Naps always help when you are stressed. You wake up with a sound mind and are able to think clearly about the situation.

I was on two fantastic cruises with RCL and really hoping this 3rd one is fantastic too. If I were you I would use this as an excuse to go on another cruise! lol

Good to hear she cleaned your room and it smelled like bleach. She probably used bleach which kills viruses the best! I found bleach wipes at work last night and tonight I have plans to clean the handrails in hallway and other objects that are wipable with bleach. Get the flu-virus on its merry way before it infects anymore of my patients. Royal Carribean has the same theory when they told you the dining room was closed. They want to clean before any more people get sick.

I think if I had just had noro (or even just an upset stomach) the last thing I would care about was whether or not there was lobster on the menu; as I would want to steer clear of any seafood just in case it was a little off :rolleyes:

Independence had delayed boarding in Southampton yesterday due to the ship being cleansed.

My compassion is extended to each of you, for your personal experience with technical & medical problems.

IMHO, if you cruise enough times, eventually you are going to be inconvenienced by a host of "issues". Broken thermostats, smelly vents & drains, mystery food, rude passengers, etc.

What I wish to share (to the lurkers and posters), is that any Medical Facility should be congratulated on How they respond to the multitude of various medical-emergencies. The newer and bigger ships have floating hospitals - the older and smaller ships have a corresponding facility.

The Cruise Line takes responsibility when it is theirs - and even if someone else is responsible - TRIP PROTECTION INSURANCE is essential if you want to avoid an even bigger bill, because those visits to the Medical Facility aren't cheap.

You are accepting a Risk if you opt not to purchase insurance.

My experience with any Medical Facility has consistently been a positive experience. If and When you need them, know you will be getting Good Care. I might have complaints with any cruise-experience, but I have never had a complaint concerning the Medical Facilty (any cruise line).

I applaud the Medical Facility(s) and their Staff.

I'm a veteran travel agent and was on the New Year's cruise on the Radiance that returned January 3rd. It is a beautiful and comfortable ship and my group of 17 throughly enjoyed our experience. While your situation is regrettable, I agree with the others here that RCCL did all the right things in regards to handling the guests that were ill. They have to look at the bigger picture and I hope you can appreciate that.

On our cruise there was no lack of lobster, in fact, we had as many as we could stomach (2 for me).

The ship was late returning to Tampa on the 3rd because we sailed in fog all night and Tampa was thick with it when the ship arrived. RCCL did a "GREAT" job keeping the guests informed about the situation and making everyone comfortable. We were allowed to stay in our cabins, they kept the Windjammer open for an extended breakfast and provided lunch and free internet and phone access so people could notify family, and make alternative travel arrangements.

In this life things don't always go as planned but if we keep a positive attitude and consider other's feelings things usally work out just fine.

I am surprise why they delay the lobster until the last day of the cruise. It was the same for us on the Jewel. Surely, it is more difficult the keep the seafood fresh?

It's frozen.

If they serve it on the last night, maybe some people will actually show up and tip their servers.

Gina

This is what I was thinking. It sounds like fun. Can I tell them I'm sick but I don't want to go to the doctor because of the bill? I have a bad cough and I don't want to cough on everyone. :D

Gina

Oh yeah it is alot of fun....watch 10 minutes of movies and then spend 5 minutes throwing up and pooping in the bathroom..Oh yeah don't forgot the nice odor in your room.....I did not mean to make it sound like it is fun, just that they don't charge you for the movies or refridgerator food and drinks...(not that eating is something my son was going to do)...This was the first and hopefully last time anyone in our family gets that sick on a cruise....My husband and I were allowed to leave room, my son was not...

Oh yeah it is alot of fun....watch 10 minutes of movies and then spend 5 minutes throwing up and pooping in the bathroom..Oh yeah don't forgot the nice odor in your room.....I did not mean to make it sound like it is fun, just that they don't charge you for the movies or refridgerator food and drinks...(not that eating is something my son was going to do)...This was the first and hopefully last time anyone in our family gets that sick on a cruise....My husband and I were allowed to leave room, my son was not...

I wasn't talking about THAT!

It's the free all you can drink bottled water and minibar that I'm talking about. I can skip the movies, too.

I haven't bought anything out of the minibar yet. It would be fun to raid it just once. :p

Gina

That is one very good reason to have travel insurance. You still have to pay your medical bill up front (it will be on your SeaPass), but if your own medical insurance won't reimburse you, travel insurance will.

When my son was young he would get ear infections all the time, I believe he went to the ship doctor for 2 ear infections...I was billed by the doctor and when I got home I submitted the bill to my insurance coming and they reimbursed me.

They don't want to be quarantined. It's not a fear of doctors! :rolleyes:

I understand that they don't want to be quarantined, but I do not understand this mindset...

1. doctor will give you pills to try to stop the nausea

2. when you are so sick that the bathroom needs to be close by, why would anyone want to leave their room...

Here is hoping that this sailing goes smooth and no more virus......

2. when you are so sick that the bathroom needs to be close by, why would anyone want to leave their room...

On a Med cruise a couple years ago, I picked up a bit of food poisoning after eating at a buffet on an excursion in Turkey. It would not have been possible to visit the doctor without leaving a trail.

Good thing about this, though, nausea only lasted 24 hrs.

We were also aboard the Radiance of the Sea last week for the trip with the noro virus. We did not become sick, thank goodness. The Captain kept telling everyone that the hand sanitzers worked much better when used in conjunction with hand washing with hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds. One of the crew members indicated that as many as 500 people were sick but the news here in Orlando this morning said 150 crew and passengers became ill. One of our tablemates who did visit the doctor's, said the medical staff indicated they traced the cause back to one of the excersions to the ruins where lunch was included in the excersion. Everyone of the passengers who took that tour became ill. Even the customs people did not want to touch anything we had touched. They did not even look at our passports and only took the customs forms by the corners and put them in a file.

Someone mentioned earlier that it appeared two people were "kicked" off the ship in Cozumel. I believe they asked to leave the ship. The lady seemed to have some problems from the start of the cruise. We saw her in the hallway with security on the first night of the cruise. In addition, neither seemed upset about leaving the ship in Cozumel. They were talking with both ship and dock personnel and everything was friendly.

I think the fact that RCCL is going to give you a credit is more then they need to do. RCCL did not get y ou sick, 50 pax who did not report it did. The cruiseline is the one taking the bigger hit, not you. You lost what, maybe $300.00? Think about the cruiseline here.. they lost $300.00 X pax, plus lost rev from bar, plus bad press.. plus plus plus.. I am sorry you got ill on your cruise. I am sorry you did not get the "full cruise" that you paid for, but I do think that RCCL did a good job inlight of what happened.

T

Some one becomes sick on a cruise, and has to deal with a flooded cabin as well and, somehow, they should be thinking about what the cost of all of this was to the cruise line?:confused:

I am surprise why they delay the lobster until the last day of the cruise. It was the same for us on the Jewel. Surely, it is more difficult the keep the seafood fresh?
It probably doesn't matter much which day you thaw it out.

Archived