Princess Denali Lodge to Tundra Wilderness Tour

charlielinda

We will be staying at the Princess Denali Lodge and on September 2 I would like to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Princess offers the tour for $145 and from the Denali website I see that you can book yourself for $107.50. That is a huge price difference. My question for those who know -- how would I get from the Lodge to wherever I need to go for the TWT. Also, what, if any are the differences between the Princess TWT tour and the Park Service TWT tour? Thanks!

I'm confused over what Princess is offering as there is only one operator for the Tundra Wilderness Tour - Aramark - the contractor for the National Park Service. The TWT picks up at the Denali Princess Lodge. I booked the TWT directly with Aramark and was picked up at the lodge.

We will be staying at the Princess Denali Lodge and on September 2 I would like to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Princess offers the tour for $145 and from the Denali website I see that you can book yourself for $107.50. That is a huge price difference. My question for those who know -- how would I get from the Lodge to wherever I need to go for the TWT. Also, what, if any are the differences between the Princess TWT tour and the Park Service TWT tour? Thanks!

Tillie has it right....

1. No difference except the price.

2. The TWT picks up at the lodges along the hiway, including the Denali Prindess. When we went in 07 we had to walk to the McKinley Chalet..about 1/4 mile from the Denali Princess. Things have changed since then.

I would not hesitate to book on my own. Just be sure that your tour fits into your Princess bus or train schedule.

The FACTS, Princess IS the booking agent for the Tundra Wilderness tour. There is ONLY one. These can be booked direct, BUT you need to verify the pick up. Most TWT pick up at lodges, only a few pick up at the Access Center, which is a mile + away.

Other FACTS. There are SHUTTLE buses that go into Denali Park, these are 1/3 the price of the TOUR buses and go farther. What people do not realize- is, Denali park is all about access- the farther you go, the more you see.

Princess Lodge WILL also run their OWN shuttle bus, that goes back and forth to/from the lodge/access center/visitor center. If you have two nights at Denali Park- it is a NO brainer, to just pick up an Eielson shuttle bus leaving about 9am, and you will be taken to/from the access center by the lodge shuttle. If you have a NHT with your cruisetour, all you do is request a refund, and you would have NO additional funds required to get to Eielson.

• 2 weeks later...
I"m confused now. For our booking it says that the TWT is sold out. I was going to book it through aramark, which is available. Can I still request a refund from Princess for the NHT? Also, what is the Eielson tour?

Eielson is not a "tour" it is the "shuttle bus." Same road, just goes 13 miles further...for 1/3 of the price.

Try to get a refund for the NHT from Princess but even if you can't, the shuttle to Eielson costs you about $40, the TWT would have cost over $100. You are still ahead of the game in more ways than one. And that time of year, the colors in Denali will be fabulous. Plus, you get more chances to see wildlife the further into the park you go.

Eielson is not a "tour" it is the "shuttle bus." Same road, just goes 13 miles further...for 1/3 of the price.

Try to get a refund for the NHT from Princess but even if you can't, the shuttle to Eielson costs you about $40, the TWT would have cost over $100. You are still ahead of the game in more ways than one. And that time of year, the colors in Denali will be fabulous. Plus, you get more chances to see wildlife the further into the park you go.

What time do the shuttles from the Princess lodge to the WAC begin in the morning and what is the latest shuttle to return to the lodge? Do they reallly stick to a schedule or is it a schedule in name only? TIA

What time do the shuttles from the Princess lodge to the WAC begin in the morning and what is the latest shuttle to return to the lodge? Do they reallly stick to a schedule or is it a schedule in name only? TIA

In the past they have been running at 8am. I would book a 9am shuttle bus, if you can not confirm the times. The lodge is open in May. Don't bother trying to find out prior to getting a hold of them DIRECT, the general princess phone number, isn't going to be able to tell you anything. At this point, just get the Natural History tour refund. You can then just purchase anything you want, either a shuttle or tour bus. Aramark does hold back some shuttle bus seats until 7am 2 days prior. I have picked up any bus I want doing this.

In the past they have been running at 8am. I would book a 9am shuttle bus, if you can not confirm the times. The lodge is open in May. Don't bother trying to find out prior to getting a hold of them DIRECT, the general princess phone number, isn't going to be able to tell you anything. At this point, just get the Natural History tour refund. You can then just purchase anything you want, either a shuttle or tour bus. Aramark does hold back some shuttle bus seats until 7am 2 days prior. I have picked up any bus I want doing this.

Thanks. We are doing an "on your own" cruisetour so we are not bound to any excursion. We can pick and choose or do none at all and not have to bother with any refund process.

Thanks. We are doing an "on your own" cruisetour so we are not bound to any excursion. We can pick and choose or do none at all and not have to bother with any refund process.

So long as you have two nights, you can book the shuttle bus at reservedenali.com. I personally always try to book my shuttles well in advance. I know my itinerary and no need then to be on the phone right at 7am 2 days prior. Just book in advance (online or call) and it is done. Booking after you verify in May the shuttle bus times should be fine.

After June 8 I suggest booking to Wonder Lake (can always get off at Eielson and get another bus back to the entrance). There are fewer buses to Wonder Lake than Eielson and if the weather is nice, you might have to wait for a shuttle bus with an empty seat to Wonder. Then again, you might get a seat right away. But you never know.

TWT leaves at 6AM, Eileson at 9AM. Which is better the first week in August.....Earlier but not as far (TWT) or farther, but later in the morning.(Eileson). (We have several nights in Denali so we could actually book 1 with the last minute two day widow if the first was a bust.) However, given one choice the first week in August, which would you choose?

TWT leaves at 6AM, Eileson at 9AM. Which is better the first week in August.....Earlier but not as far (TWT) or farther, but later in the morning.(Eileson). (We have several nights in Denali so we could actually book 1 with the last minute two day widow if the first was a bust.) However, given one choice the first week in August, which would you choose?

For me it would be a no brainer. I would choose Eielson (actually I would choose Wonder Lake just in case the Mountain is visible). But even with Eielson, you go at least 5 more miles than the TWT, which is prime bear and wolf habitat, not to mention you can get off the bus if you want.

Some people talk about the wildlife sightings decrease with later buses. The only time I find that might be true is on truly warm days - very rare actually in Denali NP.

I am assuming you will not have your own transportation?? You do know about buy two get third day fee on the shuttle buses??

What do YOU want to do here??????

Early August I would be out on a first shuttle bus.

I don't know if anyone has tried this, BUT your TWT ticket is good on any shuttle. So theoretically, you could take the early TWT from the lodge and then when you stop at a rest stop or the overlook where the TWT turns around, just walk over to one of the shuttles and get on it to Eielson or Wonder Lake (be sure to tell your TWT driver what you're doing).

I don't know if anyone has tried this, BUT your TWT ticket is good on any shuttle. So theoretically, you could take the early TWT from the lodge and then when you stop at a rest stop or the overlook where the TWT turns around, just walk over to one of the shuttles and get on it to Eielson or Wonder Lake (be sure to tell your TWT driver what you're doing).

It is very rare that anyone does this, but I posted this a couple of years ago, along with the fact that a shuttle bus ticket is valid on camper buses (and got shot down on that one too!).

I guess if you look at a TWT ticket as your "taxi" to the park one could justify the extreme cost difference between the TWT and the shuttle price. But otherwise, one would be a fool to buy a TWT ticket if they really wanted to get further into the park!

And for others' info, a Disco Hike bus ticket is in reality an Eielson shuttle bus ticket that allows you to go as far as Eielson after your Disco hike.

• 1 year later...

:D Boy what a wealth of information you guys are! I'm basically making a post so I can find this thread again without too much hunt/pecking! I just EM'd my TA and told her to cx us on the NHT and I had booked the TWT independently. Now it looks like I should've done the shuttle but oh well....I'm OK with that. At least saved $32 from Princess' pocket!! THANKS AGAIN!!!;)

Archived