Carnival to base vessel in Australia in 2012

woodscruise

I agree with most posts re overcrowding and am not a big fan of P&O, however if someone has enjoyed their cruise with P&O and they say so, it's a bit over the top to call them " stooges".

You are enjoying your roomy cabin on Rapshody, does that make you an Rcl stooge?

Yatchet, anyone who admits to enjoying a cruise on a P&O ship and says so, is called a P&O stooge or asked if they work for P&O. :D Bit of a joke really, as it seems to me there are just as many 'stooges' for other lines who feel compelled to bash P&O at every opportunity.

Why can't everyone live and let live? The fact that we all enjoy our cruises, is the important thing. :)

I don't care how super you call the Pacific Sun, it is an OLD SHIP.

There is a tendency on this forum to back P&O no matter what. This forum should be just that, a FORUM for debate and I think with the view to improving our cruise experiences that we pay a lot of money for here in Australia. There are obvious stooges for P&O that frequent this site but the bottom line is unless you complain and discuss in this world you get what you are given.

IF P&O watch this site and enough people complain about the fact that they overfill the old unwanted cruise ships that are sent here, they will be disinclined to carry out these "IMPROVEMENTS" and "UPGRADES" in the guise of whacking a few more bunks in to get a few hundred more passengers.

Paul

Wow Paul, I think inadvertently struck a nerve.

I merely gave you the definition of 'Superliner' and said that all of today's ships could be defined as such. (TRUE Statement)

I also mentioned that P&O ships have large cabins compared with the industry average and Rhapsody of the Seas (as nice as she is) has very small cabins compared with the industry average. (TRUE Statement)

I said that large cabins suit me better as I travel with my family and that I had a great time on Pacific Sun. (True statement)

I also that Pacific Dawn (even with extra capacity added) has a better passenger ratio than Rhapsody of the Seas. (True statement)

Judging by your previous negative comments regarding P&O and anyone who enjoyed their P&O cruising experience I think you must have had a very bad experience, sorry but not my fault or problem.

Suddenly I have been labeled a P&O stooge, thanks a lot Paul. (and before you ask I DO NOT work for P&O)

:)However, good news every body, the smallest cabins on Carnival Spirit are nice and roomy at 185 sq ft and she's going to be using Aussie $.:)

Jenny

Yatchet, anyone who admits to enjoying a cruise on a P&O ship and says so, is called a P&O stooge or asked if they work for P&O. :D Bit of a joke really, as it seems to me there are just as many 'stooges' for other lines who feel compelled to bash P&O at every opportunity.

Why can't everyone live and let live? The fact that we all enjoy our cruises, is the important thing. :)

I agree.

It's our choice with whom we cruise and we are lucky to be able to cruise, we either enjoy it or we don't and we are entitled to express our views.

Our favorite was pacific princess, except for our first, the old Fair princess,built 1956, the first always has the best memories. :)

Carnival Spirit could be base as floater like the Pacific Sun is as They have not said where she be base yet.

The more ships they base here the better but I do wich another cruise line would move here just to shack them up a little.

Love Thied

The problem with Melb is, where do you go to from melb, to many sea days to sth pacific.

A 10 day cruise from Sydney turns into 14 days from melb, making the cruise more expensive.

The other option is NZ but they can't go there every cruise.

Same goes for Tas.

For me a great part of the cruise is flying to the departure point.

Maybe they could have cruises from Station pier to Geelong and Pt lonsdale. lol.

carnival are due to get there new ship in march 2011, The 130,000 ton Carnival Magic.

and in Spring 2012 carnival due to recieve The 130,000 ton carival Breeze

When this ship is permanently based in Australia will it be part of this forum or still part of Carnival :)

Discussions about this ship will appear on both boards. This board is not only P&O but also any cruises in the Australian/New Zealand market. Please see this "sticky" - This Board covers more than just P&O Australia Cruising.

The Carnival board is primarily US based (as is Carnival) so it's unlikely that US CC members will look to the P&O Aus board for any discussions of this ship.

However the Roll Calls for this ship will be located only in the Carnival Roll Call section.

Carnival Cruise Lines announced today that Carnival Spirit will abandon the U.S.'s West Coast for Australia in late 2012, continuing the surge in Down Under cruising -- and the steady decline of California-based cruising...

Get the full story here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4311

I guess this answers the question about passenger numbers.

Quote: USA Today

"The world's largest cruise operator says the 2,124-passenger Carnival Spirit will reposition to Sydney, Australia in October, 2012 and begin offering 8- to 12-night voyages to the Pacific Islands as well as 13-night sailings to New Zealand."

Quote: Ann Sherry (Official press release)

Carrying 2,667 passengers and approximately 930 crew, Ms Sherry said, “the Carnival Spirit adds another dimension to cruising in Australia.”

Carnival Cruise Lines announced today that Carnival Spirit will abandon the U.S.'s West Coast for Australia in late 2012, continuing the surge in Down Under cruising -- and the steady decline of California-based cruising...

Get the full story here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4311

we found out about that yesterday, thats old news now

Steve Garrod with his Ship Cafe website has a photolouge of Carnival Spirit.

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/cs/csp_intro.htm

He gives the pax capacity as 2,680,

However if you check out the sister ship Carnival Pride,

the capacity is given as 2,124.

Carnival Spirit began a new class of vessels for Carnival Cruise Line when she entered service in 2001. She preceded three sisters Carnival Pride, Legend, and Miracle.

Carnival Spirit Vital StatisticsGuest Capacity : 2,680

Crew : 961

Gross Tonnage : 85,900

Length : 963 ft.

Width : 106 ft.

Draft : 26 ft.

Built : 2001

Maximum Speed : 22 knots

Carnival Pride Vital Statistics

Guest Capacity : 2,124 GuestsCrew : 930

Gross Tonnage : 88,500

Length : 960 ft.

Beam : 105.7 ft.

Draft : 25.7 ft.

Dedication : December, 2001

Maximum Speed : 22 knots

The Carnival Pride is the second of Carnival Cruise Line's successful Spirit Class of ships. The Spirit class of ships was somewhat of a departure from most of Carnival's ships given that they are not only a variance from the other classes of ships but also having been constructed in Helsinki, Finland at Kværner Masa Yards.

Heres more info I found on a google search.

Its dated 2003 and shows her having 2,680 pax as of that date.

SHIP'S HISTORY

Ordered - 24 February 1998

Keel laid - 16 November 1999

Launched - 7 July 2000

Delivered - 11 April 2001

Construction cost - US $375 million

(a) Carnival Spirit - Panama

As of December 2003 Carnival Spirit was still in service

PARTICULARS

Ship type - Cruise ship

Gross tonnage - 85,920

Net tonnage - 53,613

Deadweight tonnage - 7,200

L.O.A. - 292.56 meters (959'0")

L.B.P. - 260.60 meters (854'3")

Width overall - 32.20 meters (105'7")

Width moulded - 32.00 meters (104'11")

Draught - 8.018 meters (26'3.5")

Depth - 13.60 meters (44'7")

Number of passengers - 2,680

Number of berths - 2,680

Number of cabins - 1,057

CONSTRUCTION

Builder - Kvaerner Masa-Yards Inc.

Country - Helsinki, Finland

Hull number - 499

Engine builder - Wartsila Finland Oy

Country - Turku, Finland

Number of engines - 6

Engine type - Wartsila 9R46 diesels

Horsepower (each) - unknown

Horsepower (total) - 84,792 bhp or 62,370 kW

Fuel - Heavy fuel oil & diesel oil

Speed - 22 knots

Propeller - 2 variable pitch

Bow thusters - 3 ? hp

Stern thusters - 2 ? hp

Steering gear - 2 azimuthing pods

Totally agree, I was on last cruise of Regal Princess LA to Sydney, when we left NZ they put 100 carpenters on board and were doing construction work on cabins and public areas on the ship before we even got to Sydney! Ships are designed to carry a defined number of pax, increasing pax numbers must impact on entertainment/dining areas.

Remember..P&O, Carnival, Princess, HAL, Cunard, Costa are all owned by Carnival Corp, they can do what they want to their fleet, including increased pax, I just hope they do not build all those 'friendly four cabins' on Spirit and increase pax capacity to say 3000! but they might !

Further to this I am pasting this direct from the cruise critic news section:

This will be Carnival Cruise Lines' first foray into the region -- and Spirit will become the largest ship ever to cruise full-time in Australia -- although parent company Carnival Corp. also owns the rapidly expanding P&O Australia, which has a four-ship fleet made up of hand-me-downs from Carnival, Princess and others.

And this:

According to Torrent, Spirit will go into dry dock before heading to Australia.

I would guess this is when they put in the extra few hundred berths (Friendly Fours?????)

Carnival SpiritOwner/Operator:Carnival Cruise LinesYear built:2001Rebuilt:-Builder:Kvaerner MASA Yards, Helsinki, FinlandFormer names:-Gross Tonnage85,920Length:292.5 m (959.6 ft)Beam:32.2 m (105.6 ft)Passengers (normal):2,142Passengers (maximum):2,680Crew:902Service speed:22.0 knSister Ships:Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle

According to Ship Parade this is the passenger count.Not sure what they mean by normal and maximum !!!!

Carnival SpiritOwner/Operator:Carnival Cruise LinesYear built:2001Rebuilt:-Builder:Kvaerner MASA Yards, Helsinki, FinlandFormer names:-Gross Tonnage85,920Length:292.5 m (959.6 ft)Beam:32.2 m (105.6 ft)Passengers (normal):2,142Passengers (maximum):2,680Crew:902Service speed:22.0 knSister Ships:Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle

According to Ship Parade this is the passenger count.Not sure what they mean by normal and maximum !!!!

Berlitz lists it as (lower berths/all berths): 2124/2680. So, they will have 2124 on the floor, but once you start adding the 3/4 passenger, it could go up to 2680. EM

Ship head count is often quoted on a twin share basis i.e. every cabin only holds 2 people. However, all mainstream lines have cabins allowing more than 2 passengers, so they can get up to their maximum rated capacity (this does not mean every cabin allowing more is filled with more than two - both fire and safety regulations come into play as well as the practicality that people choose cabins and a group of 3 or even 2 may occupy a 4 share rated cabin, for example).

Archived