Positano, Sorrento and Pompei Tour

cleobella

Hi

We are booking a tour of Positano, Sorrento and Pompei through Carnival. I have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer. 1) The tour description says they give you time to explore Positano but I saw a post that says tour buses don't usually have access into the village? Does anyone know about that? 2) This is a long tour-9hours-is it going to be worth it? We did Road to Hana in Maui and though the scenery was beautiful we found 8 hours to be a bit long. Will I feel the same about this tour or is it worth the time and money?

Thanks cruise buddies!

I suggest you carefully read your ships tour description. Unless they use a mini-bus, getting into Positano could be difficult. The large tour buses don't go into Positano.

Check the CC thread for your cruise to see if someone might be forming small group excursions.

We will be in Naples in late May and have formed a small group van for eight passengers going to Positano, Ravello and Pompeii, at much less expense than ships tours.

It's worth doing the research. Cheers, --Don

That Carnival excursion is with a minivan. It's also quite expensive at $245 per person, especially for a tour in which they don't even include a licensed guide at Pompeii (they give you headphones for recorded audio tour :mad:) You could do a private tour for two people with AP Tours for much less than that Carnival excursion. With the savings, you could even hire a licensed guide at Pompeii. Add another couple and you'll save even more.

Hi. We are booking a tour of Positano, Sorrento and Pompei through Carnival. I have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer. 1) The tour description says they give you time to explore Positano but I saw a post that says tour buses don't usually have access into the village? Does anyone know about that? 2) This is a long tour-9hours-is it going to be worth it? We did Road to Hana in Maui and though the scenery was beautiful we found 8 hours to be a bit long. Will I feel the same about this tour or is it worth the time and money? Thanks cruise buddies!

Here's the "deal" on wonderful Positano. No bus or car can take you "into" this mountainside village. You will park or be dropped along the main road at the "TOP". Then you walk down, down to the shore/beach/lower area. As the below visual shows, the various houses and buildings are constructed "hugging" this hillside. That's part of what makes Positano so interesting and unique.

This is a long tour because there is so, so much great and spectacular to see and do in this area. This is not a "one-trick pony" port stop. You need that much time to see everything (or a part of it). You'll love. This is a world-class place.

Pompeii is super awesome. Why??? It is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked what caused that. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here.

Visiting the brothel house was also super interesting. Our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provide "customers" a choice on what position they wished to choose. They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language. Our guide in 1999 said on one of the wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.

It-Positano.jpg

Here are some samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and super historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

PompeiiThree.jpg

An example of the art on the walls within a residence in Pompeii. Amazing sites and sights in this historic area.:

PompeiWallRedArtDesign.jpg

Please please please don't take a ship tour in the port of Naples. The Amalfi Coast and Pompeii are so incredible. A ship tour cannot do it justice. There are many reputable tour companies out there that can show you an amazing day for similar pricing. We toured with Romeinlimo on several occasions and we had a large enough group (6) to make it even cheaper than a ship tour. It really is the way to see these incredible places!

Please please please don't take a ship tour in the port of Naples. The Amalfi Coast and Pompeii are so incredible. A ship tour cannot do it justice. There are many reputable tour companies out there that can show you an amazing day for similar pricing. We toured with Romeinlimo on several occasions and we had a large enough group (6) to make it even cheaper than a ship tour. It really is the way to see these incredible places!

Haven't been there yet (in the planning stages), but do know that private tours can offer so much more. In addition to Romeinlimo, there are other very highly regarded private companies. We are going with Simply Amalfi, rated #1 on the TripAdvisor web site. Do your homework so you won't be disappointed.

We did a private tour with Marcello the day we docked in Naples, and 3 years later this is still the day we all remember as one of our best vacation experiences ever. We gave the trip to my parents for their 50th anniversary (and two of us tagged along with them), and Marcello made it a memorable experience. The Amalfi coast drive and the stop in Amalfi were beautiful, but the most memorable was that he stopped in a very tiny hillside town and arranged for a private, home-cooked luncheon for their anniversary, on a terrace with a beautiful view. The vistas were amazing and the authentic Italian farmhouse cuisine was scrumptious and plentiful, all we could eat and drink including wine. As I recall we paid an extra 10 Euro pp for the meal, and it was well worth it. This was not a tourist town - no souvenier shops, no cars - just donkeys and villagers working in and around their homes. We had to walk up several stairs to come into the village - can't remember the name of it - and it was well worth the walk. After lunch we had a couple of hours at Pompeii on our own and then made it back to the ship with a bit of time to spare. Not inexpensive, but it was the highlight of our trip and highly recommended.

look on your roll call. Someone is probably putting a group together. I went last year with aptours it weas 55 euros with our group including a private guide of Pompeii. One of the best days ever. Going back in March with same company.

look on your roll call. Someone is probably putting a group together. I went last year with aptours it weas 55 euros with our group including a private guide of Pompeii. One of the best days ever. Going back in March with same company.

Yup, we did the same, booked with a group we met on the Roll Call, and had a an outstanding day with Raffaelo of Romeinlimo, touring Pompeii, Amalfi, and Positano and Sorrento. We then decided to take the ferry back, (so we had more time to tour) which our driver arranged for us. Just a great day!

Thanks everyone for this thread! I am booked on our cruise's tour and am seriously considering going with a private guide now for the two of us - slightly cheaper and a more intimate experience i'm sure. We are really looking forward to it!

Regardless of which you choose, you will thoroughly enjoy it.

I would not be so quick to poo poo the tour that the ship offers. I have posted this before and believe the ships tours have a lot to offer and surprisingly, some of the guides and even tour operators offer tour privately (?) as well as to the ships. The drive down the coast can be long, can be hot , can be slow. In the summer and on weekends the traffic is utterly absurd and being stuck in a car or minivan is not the same as being in a tour bus. On the bus, you can get up and stretch your legs, go to the bathroom, and even recline your seat and have a nap on the way back.

Both options have their pitfalls and advantages. You need to decide what is best for you. We took the ships tour for taste of Sorrento and Pompeii. It was perfect for us (sit on the right side as the views are best seen from there. On the way back it does not matter LOL). We took private tours elsewhere and it was right for us there too. Bottom line is that once you get there (wherever that may be) you will still be in a crowd of tourists, regardless whether you arrived by bus or by car.

The thing about cruise line tours is whether they are on a typical large tour bus (most tours use this method) or whether they are one of the deluxe tours that uses vans or private cars. As Terry mentioned, there is no way any tour bus can go into Positano. There is only a single road that snakes its way through the town (its one-way) and no large buses are allowed. We have never seen a ship's tour bus allow their charges enough time to walk down into the city from the Amalfi Drive (above the city) and we are not sure many cruise ship passengers would even want to do this walk since its pretty steep. This is why we have urged cruisers to either book a private tour (in a van or car) or do this on their own (only for the more adventurious). We have often posted how much we love the Amalfi Coast (have spent two extended vacations on the coast in Praiano) and hope that others get the chance to also discover the charm and beauty of this region. A large tour bus is just not the appropriate way to see this part of Italy. Ideally you would be driven along the Amalfi Drive to Positano, then futher on to Amalfi and finally up to the hilltop town of Ravello (one of the more romantic cities in the region). As to Sorrento, if you have the extra time its OK, but generally not considered a highlight on the coast.

Hank

We are currently booked on the ship's elite tour. The tour has 14 people so it seems to be in a smaller mini van. It includes a private guide at Pompeii, an hour on our own in Positano, lunch, and an hour in Sorrento on our own, etc. so I think they will be driving into Positano as it's a smaller van. The larger groups don't get into Positano from what i've read.

I've been weighing out my options and am still leaning toward the ship's elite tour now because it's a smaller group and includes a guide in Pompeii. I was comparing and a private driver with a private company, plus lunch, plus a tour guide would cost us the same or more for 2 of us - and i'm not interested in organizing with other members from our cruise. I figure we'll either go with the ship's tour or organize our own 2 person tour.

We are currently booked on the ship's elite tour. The tour has 14 people so it seems to be in a smaller mini van. It includes a private guide at Pompeii, an hour on our own in Positano, lunch, and an hour in Sorrento on our own, etc. so I think they will be driving into Positano as it's a smaller van. The larger groups don't get into Positano from what i've read.

I've been weighing out my options and am still leaning toward the ship's elite tour now because it's a smaller group and includes a guide in Pompeii. I was comparing and a private driver with a private company, plus lunch, plus a tour guide would cost us the same or more for 2 of us - and i'm not interested in organizing with other members from our cruise. I figure we'll either go with the ship's tour or organize our own 2 person tour.

Sounds like a great idea. We did share a few tours with others on our roll call, and while it was cheaper, we were crammed into a small vehicle, and the gal that arranged the tour chose the places we went. As we joined them, we didn't feel we could direct where we went. In Naples, we had planned to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento (and unlike Hank, we loved it). I wasn't interested in Positano as I have a fear of heights and didn't want to do that coast road. Unfortunately the Grand Princess docked at the opposite end of the pier from the hydrofoil, and the shuttle wasn't running until 9:00 which is when the first hydrofoil left. So we hired a taxi (for 200 EUR) at the pier (Plan B) and had the best day of our entire 21 day trip. It was like watching the lives of the rich and famous, only we were living it. He was at our beck and call, carried our packages, stopped where WE wanted TO stop, and he was so concerned that two older ladies were traveling in Europe ALONE! We left the ship at about 8:30 and returned at 4:30. We wanted Pompeii and Sorrento, and he even threw in a mini-tour of Naples before returning us to the ship.

Everyone travels differently and enjoys different things, so do what you feel is right for you. Have a great cruise.

We used Aldo Monti's company, Your Tour In Italy, in July of 2010 for 6 of us. Our guide was Dominico. He picked us up at the ship at 8:00 and off we went to Sorrento where we had plenty of time to walk around and explore. Then we were off to Positano, where we also had plenty of time to walk around and explore. Dominico took us to a quaint little italian restaurant way up at the top of the mountain overlooking Positano and the coast. The views were unbelievable! The food was the best italian food we ever had -- all served family style. We had an assortment of antipasto dishes, then several different entrees, then various desserts with lemoncello. It was wonderful at 25 euros per person. We ended our day at Pompeii, where YTII had arranged for a private guide at a very reasonable price. This day was the highlight of our cruise. The drive along the Amalfi coast is a must do.

The cost of using a private tour company vs. the ship's excursions is much less expensive, more comfortable, and you get to see as much as you wish to see at your own pace.

Since there are only 2 of you, I would suggest looking at the roll calls for your ship to see if there are any others who wish to join you in order to bring the cost down even more. There may even be others on your ship who are already putting together a group.

We used Aldo Monti's company, Your Tour In Italy, in July of 2010 for 6 of us. Our guide was Dominico. He picked us up at the ship at 8:00 and off we went to Sorrento where we had plenty of time to walk around and explore. Then we were off to Positano, where we also had plenty of time to walk around and explore. Dominico took us to a quaint little italian restaurant way up at the top of the mountain overlooking Positano and the coast. The views were unbelievable! The food was the best italian food we ever had -- all served family style. We had an assortment of antipasto dishes, then several different entrees, then various desserts with lemoncello. It was wonderful at 25 euros per person. We ended our day at Pompeii, where YTII had arranged for a private guide at a very reasonable price. This day was the highlight of our cruise. The drive along the Amalfi coast is a must do.

The cost of using a private tour company vs. the ship's excursions is much less expensive, more comfortable, and you get to see as much as you wish to see at your own pace.

Since there are only 2 of you, I would suggest looking at the roll calls for your ship to see if there are any others who wish to join you in order to bring the cost down even more. There may even be others on your ship who are already putting together a group.

Sounds great. We are going again in Sept this year with two other couples and it is about what we want to do too.

Thing is, everyone says it costs less but no one ever provides the cost. Lots of claims of being so much cheaper but never any proof. May I ask what you paid? For the six of you is was 150 euros for lunch, but what was the cost of the trip, the guide and, the entrances to Pompeii? Still less than the about $150 per person range the ship offers (Celebrity Pompeii and Taste of Sorrento tour)?

Hi, Pete Coach. I did not post how much, because the cost would depend on the type of vehicle, number of people, itinerary, etc. I also had to pull out my paperwork. We paid 530 euros for the 6 of us plus the 25 euros each for lunch, 11 euros each for entrance fee to Pompeii, and 125 euros total for the private tour guide of Pompeii (optional but recommended). Total was 871 euros. i don't know what that equates to in USD today. We traveled in a new Mercedes minivan, which was air conditioned. Since we were there in July, that was very important. It was also important to me to have our own vehicle because we had my parents with us who are in the mid-70's. They are still in pretty good shape, but I needed to know that they could escape the heat and rest when they needed to.

You said that your ship's excursion is about $150 pp, but it only goes to Pompeii and Sorrento? We went to Positano as well and had a beautiful drive along the Amalfi coast. The views from the restaurant alone were worth the price of the lunch in my opinion.

If you haven't ever done an excursion through the ship, you should know that you will probably be traveling in a tour bus. My guess is that it holds at least 80 people (20 rows X 4 seats per row). Do you agree? Well, my experience with that scenario is that the entire tour will only move as quickly as the slowest person on the tour. Also, when the tour company takes you to Sorrento, your group will stop at a particular souvenier shop for about an hour or so. Most of the tour companies do this because they have relationships with certain shops and get commissions based on what everyone purchases while on your tour. When we did a Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii tour through RCI some years ago (before I wised up and did my homework), we did this and we all had to wait while everyone visited the cameo shop in Pompeii as well. Also, Do you know if the ship's tour will provide you with a knowledgeable guide for Pompeii or just use the guide from the bus? Since our group was only 6 people, we were able to see and hear everything the guide in Pompeii was saying and we could ask all kinds of questions. All of these things can make a big difference in your experience.

So, in response to your question about whether the price will still be less than the $150 the ship offers, I would say that even if it is a little bit more per person, you will have a better experience. It will be more intimate and more productive, especially since you already have a group of 6 and don't need to have any additional people with you. Of course, if you pick up 2 more people on your roll call, the price is that much less.

Yup, we did the same, booked with a group we met on the Roll Call, and had a an outstanding day with Raffaelo of Romeinlimo, touring Pompeii, Amalfi, and Positano and Sorrento. We then decided to take the ferry back, (so we had more time to tour) which our driver arranged for us. Just a great day!

Did you take the 4:30 ferry and did you have plenty of time to get back to your ship?

phillygirl63, thanks for your response. We did the tour the ship offered and it was very good. Yes, it was on a bus (air conditioned and only 40 people) and yes, we did not go to Positano but I did not miss not going there. Yes we stopped at a Cameo manufacturer but I found it quite interesting. I specifically chose that tour but there were ones that included Positano but we did not choose that tour. there were many options.

871 Euros is almost $1200. A lot, but as you said, that was worth it for you folks. It is a little steep for me, Mercedes or not.

I also have said that we have taken private tours as well. I think they are great too. It really depends on what you want.

All I am saying is that there seems to be so much negativity to the tours the ship offers and, in my opinion, that is not fair. Both types of tours have their good and bad points. Some people on these forums who instantly claim the ships tour is inferior or poor or of bad value are, again in my opinion, single minded and unfair. Sorry, I have done both and see value in both.:)

Hi, PeteCoach. Sorry, if I sounded negative about the ship's tours. We have done both -- ship's tours and private guides. Even on this last cruise, we mixed it up a bit, but for the big cities (Rome and Naples), I would have to go with the private tours in the future. On our first cruise, we did all of our excursions through the ship. In Rome, we did the Vatican (which included the museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica) and then the Colisseum (sp?), but that was all we got to see the entire day. I remember it being $350 per person, and we were a group of 4 at that time. It was very expensive, but it did include lunch. This last time, we did Rome with Your Tour In Italy. The cost was 330 euros ($870 USD) for the 6 of us, plus the cost of entry to Colisseum and Roman Forum, the cost of which was minimal. I had made a reservation in advance for the scavi tour below St. Peter's Basilica, which I think was 13 euros per person. With our private tour, we got to see so much more than the time before and the cost was, in fact, so much cheaper than the ship's tour we had taken before. It was also much more productive. So, you can see why I would recommend doing a private tour, especially in Rome. However, this last time, we did book some excursions through the ship. One was the Cinque Terre, which was wonderful. Private guides do not usually go there because it is mainly a walking tour with ferry boat rides from one village to the other. It made sense to go through the ship for this one. The others that we did through the ship in Mallorca and Monte Carlo were also pretty good, and the price through the ship was very reasonable. I guess you have to do a little planning and see what and how many sites you wish to see and make a determination on the price factor then. This last cruise, we had my parents with us. They are in their mid-70's and had never been to Europe before, so it was very important to me that they got to see as much as possible in just one day, which is a very short amount of time for Rome and Naples. The cost was secondary.

In short, I too have done both and see value in both.

All I am saying is that there seems to be so much negativity to the tours the ship offers and, in my opinion, that is not fair. Both types of tours have their good and bad points. Some people on these forums who instantly claim the ships tour is inferior or poor or of bad value are, again in my opinion, single minded and unfair. Sorry, I have done both and see value in both.:)

I've done ship tours, and private tours, and (mostly) DIY -- sometimes have done more than one mode in a single port at various times. I have yet to take a ship excursion that is the equal to a private excursion.

Some examples: The first time I cruised the Mediterranean was with my mother in 2005. I had traveled a fair amount in Europe in the past; I had visited some of the places before, and some were new to me. My mother is a very seasoned cruiser and has cruised the Med many times with my father, but has never gotten over her fear of being left by the ship. Despite a lot of research I put together on private tours, I could not convince her to try even one, so we used the ship excursions at every port. I tried to choose the best ones (generally Princess has some "Elite" tours that use a smaller vehicle). Our excursions, on average, were about $200 per person; our Egypt overnight was around $800 per person, maybe even more).

To me, it was a total disaster. Unlike you, I completely dislike forced shopping stops and hated the time we wasted at the "cameo factory" in Naples. In Istanbul, we were held captive at a long buffet lunch and a carpet demo -- in fact it was so long that at the end of the day we only had about 20 minutes in Haghia Sophia, and it was already getting dark. I nearly cried. In Egypt, we were herded around all day in huge groups (not just one busful but about 20 would all descend on a site in tandem) and saw far less than the private tour that had been arranged on our roll call -- for less than half the price. In Athens, we were again shorted on our allotted time in the Archaeological Museum because SOME people returned 20+ minutes late to the meeting spot in the Plaka beforehand -- tardiness of others being another of the things I really hate about the ship excursions, incidentally.

I vowed never again to take a ships tour if there was any alternative. I came on these boards and picked the brains of posters like Hank and others that don't post as much any more. As I said, I was already somewhat used to travel on my own in Europe so it wasn't a big deal. It just involved some research.

What a big difference on my second cruise. I did things on my own in every port save one, where I took a private tour (Ephesus). Oh, did I mention that the ship's tours do not visit the wonderful Terrace Houses there, which many people say is THE highlight of the site? So I missed them the first time around. :rolleyes:

By my third Med cruise I was venturing to some ports where DIY was more of a challenge, so I arranged a couple of private tours -- Israel (2 days) and Egypt again (1 day). These were completely wonderful experiences. As a comparison, HAL charges $1400 (yes, that's correct) for a solo traveler to do their Israel overnight. For about half of that price, I was able to arrange a private tour for one person for a full day to see some of the most interesting ancient sites in Northern Israel, AND a private tour for a full day in Jerusalem (shared with two others). You can go to the Africa/Middle East boards and read my full review of these tours. Given how crowded the streets of Jerusalem are, and the difficulty of keeping even our small group of 4 together, I cannot imagine the quality of a walking tour of 40+ people in Jerusalem....

Because of all my research and the help of wonderful CC posters, I was able to find a guide whose interest in Roman history in Israel matched my own perfectly, and it was one of only two tours I've ever done where the guide really gave me a lot of information that I didn't already know from my own research. In fact, I am returning to Israel in March and have made plans to spend another full day with this guide. The guide I had in Egypt was like my long-lost sister, and she even made a special trip to see me at my hotel when I was back in Egypt again a couple of months later.

For the record, on that HAL cruise in September, I did try one ship's tour again as there was no good alternative for this port (Iskenderun, Turkey). The tour was a farce; the guide gave us little information about the sites we visited, instead, she spent her time telling questionable ethnic jokes and hawking products that we should buy at the -- you guessed it -- shopping stop.

I also took a Voyages to Antiquity cruise in November for which all shorex are included. It is a bit difficult to arrange private tours or DIY in places like Lebanon and Syria. But the only real gripe I had about the whole cruise was that the size of the tours (and the physical condition of some of those on the tours, who really shouldn't have been allowed to book them) came close to spoiling the experience for me -- and I wasn't the only one to voice this.

Of course, YMMV. :cool: Ships tours are great for the timid and for those with mobility limitations. However, I don't intend to stop trying to help people do these ports on their own, when possible, or through private tours. They get plenty of encouragement to take the ship excursions elsewhere. These boards are where people come for practical advice on doing something other than just the ships tours, for the most part. And most who try DIY, armed with the advice from posters here, come back really happy that they did it that way.

Part II (:D).....

In case you think I'm unduly critical of cruise tours and perhaps too far off the bell curve, here are some posts from a young couple that did their first Med cruise this summer on Ruby Princess, having booked most of their tours through the ship. Although they are extremely upbeat people, I think you can clearly read their frustrations with the limitations of ship tours:

Athens: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25102071&postcount=59

Istanbul (very similar to my own experience): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25102071&postcount=59

Florence On Your Own (ship's transportation; here's a hint -- you actually get MORE time on your own if you take the train and DIY....): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25197084&postcount=185

We have never been fans of cruise line excursions, but do think they fill a valuable niche for those that prefer to see the world from buses. We have met many fellow Americans who only feel comfortable on buses and following guides (with little signs) and cruise ship excursions are perfect for that segment. Some folks love going to jewelry, Cameo, and other shopping places even though most of those are there primarily for large tour groups (and the merchants pay or kick-back a % to the tour companies). However, if you want to really discover a place beyond the so-called tourist sites you need to be on your own or part of a private excursion. Its all about personal choice.

That being said, we would find it very difficult to give-up spending some time walking around Positano to go to a cameo factory (many of these are there just for the tour groups). And to visit the Amalfi Coast without getting some time in Ravello is a crime (some bus tours do get to this town).

Hank

Archived