"LIVE" from Oasis of the Seas / Jan 22, 2011

Radio

Radio,

Please know that all of your hard work is greatly appreciated by many who read these board. Your postings will help me in planning for a wonderful cruise on the Oasis. Many of my questions were answered just by reading about your journey. Again, thanks for taking the time to put together an outstanding review of the Oasis.

I love to take the AutoTrain, and I usually try to go down to Floriday a day or 2 before the Cruise.

When I take my car on the Autotrain, I can go to wherever I need to go with a Rental Car.

The AutoTrain is very comfortable, and the meals are always very good.

I plan on taking the Autitrain again when I cruise on Allure of the Seas in May!

Here are a few pics. . .

Radio

Auto Train Station in Lorton, VA

A8.jpg

Auto Train Facts. . .

A10.jpg

Passenger Boarding Platform

A2.jpg

AutoTrain Roomette

A5.jpg

Yes, it's small, but at night the chairs fold down to a comfortable bed.

A3.jpg

Auto Train Passageway / Upper Level

A14.jpg

I have never taken the Auto Train before. Actually I had never heard of it. I grew up taking train vacations a ton because my parents were both retired from the RR.

If you don't mind me asking what does it cost to take the Auto train from where you are to Ft Lauderdale

Radio- When I lived "up north", we frequently used Auto Train and also the regular trains from Boson/New York to Florida. I loved the Auto Train and really appreciate your pics, as Amtrak has updated their cars. Maybe an Auto Train posting in the future? There are towns and areas you never get to see otherwise! I loved the observation car and the dinners and the total relaxation the train provided :)

It takes these 2 General Electric P42 Locomotives to haul the AutoTrain for her 995 Mile non-stop Journey to Florida.

Radio

;);)

PC1.JPG

Thank you Radio for your review of the Auto Train. Now if the weather holds up for us to get to Lorton on Feb. 22!!!

Radio, your pictures brought back fun family memories for us. It wasn't often (like not at all) that our girls were allowed to stay up until 1:00 am with new friends they met on the Auto Train.

Do you know if they still have those lower-level compartments?

I have never taken the Auto Train before. Actually I had never heard of it. I grew up taking train vacations a ton because my parents were both retired from the RR.

If you don't mind me asking what does it cost to take the Auto train from where you are to Ft Lauderdale

Radio- When I lived "up north", we frequently used Auto Train and also the regular trains from Boson/New York to Florida. I loved the Auto Train and really appreciate your pics, as Amtrak has updated their cars. Maybe an Auto Train posting in the future? There are towns and areas you never get to see otherwise! I loved the observation car and the dinners and the total relaxation the train provided :)

A couple things to keep in mind about the Auto Train...

It's a point-to-point, non-stop train. (Not literally non-stop as they have to switch crews along the way, but there are no passenger stops.)

Everyone always gets on at Lorton, Virginia, about 20 minutes south of DC and everyone always gets off in Sanford, Florida, a few miles outside Orlando.

The train always leaves in the afternoon, runs overnight and arrives the next morning... and that's in both directions. In that respect, it is much like a night on a cruise ship I suppose! :)

Depending on the time of year, you may have as few as only 2 or 3 hours of daylight during the trip, so you don't get to see a lot of the countryside.

The big advantage is that you get your car in Florida, and the trip is about 8 or 9 hours faster than the "regular" train would be. The non-stop does save a bit of time!

Strictly speaking cost-wise, especially with car rentals in Florida so cheap, it's not usually the cheapest way to get to Florida for a cruise, unless there are other particular reasons involved, such as you plan to stay for a while, or you just really don't like to fly.

I've never done it but I would like to some day. As with so many other aspects of cruising, sometimes we have to live vicariously through Radio! ;)

Theron

Hi Bonnie,

Posted you on another thread as well. Trying to decide between cabin 10729 & 11729 on Allure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris:o

Both are great. I guess I'd lean toward 11729 because of it's proximity to the infamous public area right next door that has nice lounge chairs available.

Thank you so much for your postings. I can't believe how much information you included and the pictures were wonderful! I know this took a lot of time and I for one really appreciate it!

We've cruised a little bit but looking so forward to checking out the Oasis in May...expecially since we've gotten such a great look at the ship thru your pictures!

Gwen

>SNIP<

Strictly speaking cost-wise, especially with car rentals in Florida so cheap, it's not usually the cheapest way to get to Florida for a cruise, unless there are other particular reasons involved, such as you plan to stay for a while, or you just really don't like to fly.

I've never done it but I would like to some day. As with so many other aspects of cruising, sometimes we have to live vicariously through Radio!

Theron

Yes, you are correct. . . It is not the cheapest way to go to Florida.:o

The Fare for me and my Car is about $240 each way. . . If Mrs Radio goes. . .The fare would be about $80 more. . . But I usually get a Sleeper which costs a little more. . .

It is perfect for me, because I dont have to fly :eek:

The price includes unlimited bottled water, and coffee. They also serve complimentary wine, cheese, and snacks when you leave Lorton, VA.

Oh yeah, you also get Dinner, and breakfast (included). . .

They show a different movie for the Northbound and southbound run. . .

Radio

;);)

Outside of the Auto Train Station in Lorton, VA

PC3.JPG

Inside of the Auto Train Station in Lorton, VA

PC4.JPG

Thank you so much for your postings. I can't believe how much information you included and the pictures were wonderful! I know this took a lot of time and I for one really appreciate it!

We've cruised a little bit but looking so forward to checking out the Oasis in May...expecially since we've gotten such a great look at the ship thru your pictures!

Gwen

Thanks Gwen. . . Your comments are very nice. I can't imagine going on a cruise withour posting "LIVE". . .

Stay tuned. . . there will be more "LIVE" posts this year. . .

Radio

;);)

Oasis of the Seas

DSC09411.JPG

Our group of 8 enjoyed this cruise as well....just curious, did anyone hear the outcome of the crew member who was injured in Cozumel during the safety drill......we think of him and his family?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Gwen. . . Your comments are very nice. I can't imagine going on a cruise withour posting "LIVE". . .

Stay tuned. . . there will be more "LIVE" posts this year. . .

Radio

;);)

I see you are looking to do the Western on Allure in May, does that one stop at Falmouth? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that port.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. . . I was able to finish my new Oasis of the Seas / January 2011 Video.

I had fun making it, and it include many Video clips from my "LIVE" posts on Oasis.

Just Click HERE to view it. . . . I hope you enjoy it ;)

Below are a few stills from the Video. . .

Radio

*NEW* Oasis of the Seas Video / January 2011

OAV3.jpg

OAV4.jpg

OAV5.jpg

OAV7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Radio-

Like you, my family and I will be taking the Auto Train to Orlando, from there we plan to drive to Universal Orlando, drop our stuff in the Royal Pacific onsite hotel, and plan to hit Universal Studios park. The next day we plan to visit Islands of Adventure, and afterwards we are moving our stuff to the Doubletree hotel (We are boarding AllureOTS the next day, so we didn't feel the need to pay the extra money to stay onsite when we are allowed to use the Express Pass during our IOA check out day, and won't be using it the next day when we leave for Allure). Anyway this question is a little off topic for this website, but do you think we will be able to get through both parks in the 1.5 days we have? Keep in mind we have the Express Pass, and we are not concerned with shows and eating at gourmet restaurants, my kids just want to hit the big rides. My real concern is that we won't have enough time for Universal Studios, because by the time we leave the Auto Train and check into the Royal Pacific, it may not be enough time to hit all of the big rides. Thanks! Hope you had fun on your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived