Concierge offerings drink/food

pandi77

We booked a GS on Radiance in March and were wondering what food and drink offerings the CL provides? I have searched some threads but would love to know some specifics as we are getting closer to sail date!

What types of alcohol do they offer during happy hour and what time(s) is happy hr? We are vodka fans and wondering what brands are available.

I have heard many say the breakfast is the best..what do they serve? It seems like continental style but is it very different from anywhere else on the ship?

It has been mentioned that there are snacks and lunch etc..we are foodies and are wondering if they put something together that is unique to the CL and worth going there vs another venue on board.

Thanks!

Happy hour is from 5:00 to 8:30. Drinks offered include wine (La Terre is the house brand that they pour), gin, vodka, scotch, bourbon & beer. Soft drinks, too. Mixers are pretty basic. You can get a cosmo, though.

In my experience the vodka has been Absolut or Finlandia, Smirnoff once in a blue moon. The cocktail hour spread usually consists of a hot tray (chicken wings, mini-quiches, shrimp, mini hot dogs, etc.) plus cold offerings - cheese, veggies & dip, canapes, etc.

Breakfast is indeed continental - bagels, fruit, smoked salmon & trimmings, english muffins. I had cereal in there once, but I don't remember whether that's a regular offering. I wouldn't call it the best, but it's nice if you just want a light breakfast and don't want to deal with a full service breakfast in the main dining room or the buffet madness of the Windjammer.But if you're in a suite, you can order room service off the full dining room menu for breakfast, lunch (sea days only) and dinner.

I've never seen lunch in there, just cookies in the afternoon. There may have been sandwiches on the sea days, but I didn't go in. I've been on other ships that had them and they weren't special.

Happy hour is from 5:00 to 8:30. Drinks offered include wine (La Terre is the house brand that they pour), gin, vodka, scotch, bourbon & beer. Soft drinks, too. Mixers are pretty basic. You can get a cosmo, though.

In my experience the vodka has been Absolut or Finlandia, Smirnoff once in a blue moon. The cocktail hour spread usually consists of a hot tray (chicken wings, mini-quiches, shrimp, mini hot dogs, etc.) plus cold offerings - cheese, veggies & dip, canapes, etc.

Breakfast is indeed continental - bagels, fruit, smoked salmon & trimmings, english muffins. I had cereal in there once, but I don't remember whether that's a regular offering. I wouldn't call it the best, but it's nice if you just want a light breakfast and don't want to deal with a full service breakfast in the main dining room or the buffet madness of the Windjammer.But if you're in a suite, you can order room service off the full dining room menu for breakfast, lunch (sea days only) and dinner.

I've never seen lunch in there, just cookies in the afternoon. There may have been sandwiches on the sea days, but I didn't go in. I've been on other ships that had them and they weren't special.

Thanks critterchick! We're staying in one of your rooms FYI! 1600 aft. We're not vodka snobs and just enjoy a vc or three before dinner :). We're they good cookies?lol? Hubby LOVES choco chip cookies..

I haved searched the boards enought that I have read many of your threads as they were relevant to my info needs and they have been super helpful! I love animals too and will probably change my profile photo to my kitty soon..lol.

Was the tub jetted in the aft gs suite? Did you ever have a full service dinner brought in to the suite one course at a time? I heard another poster mention that and it sounds cool but i'm reluctant to put the wait staff to work so hard! Any other remarkable thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks critterchick! We're staying in one of your rooms FYI! 1600 aft. We're not vodka snobs and just enjoy a vc or three before dinner :). We're they good cookies?lol? Hubby LOVES choco chip cookies..

I haved searched the boards enought that I have read many of your threads as they were relevant to my info needs and they have been super helpful! I love animals too and will probably change my profile photo to my kitty soon..lol.

Was the tub jetted in the aft gs suite? Did you ever have a full service dinner brought in to the suite one course at a time? I heard another poster mention that and it sounds cool but i'm reluctant to put the wait staff to work so hard! Any other remarkable thoughts would be appreciated!

When ordering room service while staying in a GS or above, your entire dinner is delivered to you at one time. It's called serve yourself.:D Well, that was our experience when we stayed in an OS on Radiance, though we had a dining table in the cabin. 1600 does not have a dining table, though it has the new balcony furniture with a small higher table.

For lunch you will see small sandwiches and cookies and possibly some fruit like bananas, apples, etc. No one is in there to serve you, it's more like help yourself.

When ordering room service while staying in a GS or above, your entire dinner is delivered to you at one time. It's called serve yourself.:D Well, that was our experience when we stayed in an OS on Radiance, though we had a dining table in the cabin. 1600 does not have a dining table, though it has the new balcony furniture with a small higher table.

For lunch you will see small sandwiches and cookies and possibly some fruit like bananas, apples, etc. No one is in there to serve you, it's more like help yourself.

Thanks cruisinfever...I could think of alot of worse scenarios than having a full spread of food from the mdr scattered on the bed, patio table, and bathroom counters..lol. Especially when i'm not doing dishes!

The nice part of the CL breakfast (not counting Oasis class) is the quiet, relaxing atmosphere. Take what you want, slowly enjoy, go back again if you like. There may be another 3 or 4 couples there, at the most.

You can enjoy your breakfast and your Cruise Compass at the same time. Even though the self-serve menu is limited (different coffees/teas, bagels, toast, rolls, butters, meats and cheeses, fruits, juices, cereals {is that not enough?}) you will be OK until the next lunch or two.

We really enjoyed our quiet, relaxing breakfasts in the CL. Especially the CL's with the ocean view! (as in Radiance!)

R&D

I prefer a HOT breakfast...not "continental"....we enjoy the dining room for breakfast..full menu, hot food and it's SERVED to you on a table with tablecothes!!! Very nice!

There is a toaster on the counter for fresh toast, bagels, english muffins.

Hot enough for me. :rolleyes:

Are the alcoholic drinks "free" in the concierge lounge? I just discovered the JS's don't get the concierge benefits, and I am trying to convince my dh that we need to upgrade. Just trying to get a "handle" on the perks that are offered by moving up a grade. Thank you!

Are the alcoholic drinks "free" in the concierge lounge? I just discovered the JS's don't get the concierge benefits, and I am trying to convince my dh that we need to upgrade. Just trying to get a "handle" on the perks that are offered by moving up a grade. Thank you!

Drinks in the concierge lounge are free. However, before you upgrade to a grand suite, consider how many drinks you would have to consume to make up the difference in the cabin price between a JS and a GS. It is almost certainly not worth upgrading if you are only doing it to get the free drinks and mediocre-at-best hors d'oeuvres in the CL.

They're free from 5-8:30

Drinks in the concierge lounge are free. However, before you upgrade to a grand suite, consider how many drinks you would have to consume to make up the difference in the cabin price between a JS and a GS. It is almost certainly not worth upgrading if you are only doing it to get the free drinks and mediocre-at-best hors d'oeuvres in the CL.

I agree, LOL! Thank you for the information. If we upgraded, it would be for other benefits as well. We enjoy priority embarkation and there are other perks that we didn't get when we sailed with Carnival. We are still undecided.

Another aspect of the CL is the social aspect, you come in contact with your fellow CLlers more quickly then in the other venues of the ship. So even when the difference in cost for drinks etc. does not justify an upgrade the additional social contacts may.

Are you allowed to go get a glass of wine (or a drink) and carry it out to enjoy on your balcony? We sure would like to do that if you're allowed to take it out.

I know when we got our wine at the Diamond Event they would let us take it out.

Are you allowed to go get a glass of wine (or a drink) and carry it out to enjoy on your balcony? We sure would like to do that if you're allowed to take it out.

No, you are not permitted to take drinks out as a rule but YMMV depending on the concierge.

Sounds like a great way to stretch your legs first thing and grab a Danish or some other snack. Will check it out for sure and just get some ot breakfast served on the balcony after we a little more awake!

thnx all

The CL on the radiance is on the the same floor as the GS. In the mornings it is a quiet place to start the day. The evening are a bit more lively. It is a small lounge, but a good concierage makes all the difference.

I hope you have Juan Diego Miranda. A true gentleman and good conversationalist. jdc2204

No, you are not permitted to take drinks out as a rule but YMMV depending on the concierge.

And the few who will permit it will require you to put that "glass of wine" in a cardboard coffee cup if you want to walk out with it.

:)

We are probably going to upgrade from a JS to GS, with another room, that is a balcony on the same floor. Our kids will stay in the other room. Question is this...will the kids (24 y/o) be allowed to enter the CL with us? What about my 15 y/o? Or do their names have to be in our rooms? Also, does anyone know if the JS's are allowed to order meals off of the main menu for room service, or is that only GS and above? This whole separation of suites is confusing....to me a "suite is a suite" and the JS's should be included in the suite amenities. JMHO :o

JS will have the regular room service menu and not the same one that you get in GS and above.

I think the only ones allowed in the CL are the ones who are actually staying in the GS but I'm not certain.

Hope you have a great cruise!

We are probably going to upgrade from a JS to GS, with another room, that is a balcony on the same floor. Our kids will stay in the other room. Question is this...will the kids (24 y/o) be allowed to enter the CL with us? What about my 15 y/o? Or do their names have to be in our rooms? Also, does anyone know if the JS's are allowed to order meals off of the main menu for room service, or is that only GS and above? This whole separation of suites is confusing....to me a "suite is a suite" and the JS's should be included in the suite amenities. JMHO :o

Only those folks that occupy a GS or high cabin category are allowed access to the CL and your SeaPass will be programmed for entry. Unfortunately your children will not be allowed in.

Yes, you can order room service staying in a JS cabin, but you do not get the special menu that is left in GS cabins and above.

JS cabins are not considered "full suites" therefore they don't get the amenities that a GS cabin or above gets. They really should be called "Balcony Enhanced Cabins" but with the cost of a JS nobody would book them if they changed the name. The only advantage is that JS cabins and above earn you double points.

Here is what you can expect from a GS and a JS cabin in the form of special amenities..........

Suite Enhancements (complete):

Royal Suite,Royal Family Suite, Presidential Family Suite,Owner’s Suite,Grand Suite

Oasis Class: Royal Loft Suite, Sky Loft Suite, AquaTheater Suite&Crown Loft Suite

• Priority check-in

• Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service

• Complimentary luggage valet service

• Complimentary pressing service on formal night

• Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows (where available)

• VIP pool deck seating (Voyager and Freedom Class)

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

• Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

• Priority tender tickets (where available)

• Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurant (Voyager and Freedom Class)

• Priority departure with exclusive suite departure lounge - includes continental breakfast

• Luxury spa bathrobes (for use onboard)

• Gold SeaPass® Card for recognition

Junior Suite Enhancements

• Tea and coffee service ensuite

• Terry bathrobes (for use onboard)

• Bathroom amenities

• Silver SeaPass® card for recognition

Cruisinfever, thank you SO much for the amenity explanation! I agree, the JS's should be called enhanced balcony rooms, and it would certainly cut down on the confusion, but the price would be prohibitive. Well, maybe not allowing my kids into the CL would be a "good" thing ;), except my 24 y/o might wish she could go! I don't know how everyone makes up their minds with all of the choices to make!

And the addtional recommended gratuity -- only a few bucks per day but still it adds up.

Another aspect of the CL is the social aspect, you come in contact with your fellow CLlers more quickly then in the other venues of the ship. So even when the difference in cost for drinks etc. does not justify an upgrade the additional social contacts may.

I definitely agree with this. We were in the CL for the first time on our December Explorer cruise and made friends with two other couples that we would not have otherwise met.

The free drinks and apps are nice too, though - as well as the services of the concierge. He helped us with a couple of things that we didn't have to aggravate ourselves over. :)

Archived