Whither Hondorner?

StanandJim

I'm resigned to the fact that my good buddy Hondorner is not going to post unless there is one heck of an Internet sale on the good ship Marina.

;)

However, I would love to know if he and Betsy made it to Spain safely and are presently enjoying the zillion diversions of the Maiden Voyage.

Has anybody seen "the silver fox"? :D

I hope he is just busy checking all the nooks & crannies of the new ship;)

I was not worried about him until you posted I do hope all is well with him

Lyn

It's funny how we all think alike. We too are wondering if they made it safely.

We were on the Mar10 T/A and looking so forward to meeting the CC legend, Hondorner and Betsy. We did not have our hosted "O" meet & greet until 5 days into the cruise so for the first part of the week we all looked for the man with the white beard from the pic he posted, to no avail. It was at the M&G that someone said that they did not make the ship due to Don's health. It was amazing how many people were stunned and worried about someone they never met. Fortunately Don's health improved and they are now sailing on the Maiden Marina.

And yes we know you will not be posting until Mar 2 when you return but we want to know if you are now happily ensconced on this beautiful new ship:p

Sources at Oceania confirm that Don & Betsy made it safe and sound to their Barcelona Hotel.

Hopefully, we'll hear from them directly, soon. :)

I also had checked on Don and Bestys arrival and know they made it safe and sound..

Jancruz1

I also had checked on Don and Bestys arrival and know they made it safe and sound..

Jancruz1

Yes Jan, everybody seems to concur that the Horners got to Barcelona, ship shape and in Bristol fashion. It is odd, however, that nobody has mentioned either of them on the maiden voyage. Not one word.

While I can certainly relate to their being so thrilled with the new ship that they simply haven't gotten around to the INTERNET, I cannot picture them going unnoticed.

I'm sure that everything is fine, but it is odd.

Yes Jan, everybody seems to concur that the Horners got to Barcelona, ship shape and in Bristol fashion. It is odd, however, that nobody has mentioned either of them on the maiden voyage. Not one word.

While I can certainly relate to their being so thrilled with the new ship that they simply haven't gotten around to the INTERNET, I cannot picture them going unnoticed.

I'm sure that everything is fine, but it is odd.

I hope all is well, too, and have been hoping to find that his Flipcorder has been put to good use. Plus, there are folks who very much want to read and see details of that special verandah cabin, (the first of the aft, larger verandah cabins on Deck 7) he was looking forward to so much, as well as pictures of the aft wake area of Deck 7 in the vicinity of the PH3 staterooms. :)

I hope all is well, too, and have been hoping to find that his Flipcorder has been put to good use. Plus, there are folks who very much want to read and see details of that special verandah cabin, (the first of the aft, larger verandah cabins on Deck 7) he was looking forward to so much, as well as pictures of the aft wake area of Deck 7 in the vicinity of the PH3 staterooms. :)

I am one of those folks that is very interested in hearing about his room because we have one of those rooms on our June 11 Baltic cruise. I forgot about the great Flipcorder pictures he took at the float out of the Marina. I hope he does that! :D

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but maybe someone who is on board could call reception and ask to be connected to his room ... and tell him that CC members are concerned! He doesn't have to write back but then we'd know he's there, safe and sound.

Finding an internet cafe on a TA can be a little tricky ...

Somewhere he posted that he would not be posting until he returned home, unless he happened upon a really cheap internet cafe.

I have searched but can't seem to find it.

Mo

Here it is:

"You're going to have to wait for my detailed notes until after March 2, because Betsy and I will be on the Maiden Voyage, on the 3 day with Jim and Stan and Jan and the others, and on the Inaugural Canal crossing with Jim and Stan -- 34 days total -- then staying in San Francisco for a few days with Betsy's sister before flying home to Florida on March 2. We're leaving Florida for Barcelona on Tues, Jan 18. I may post a couple of short notes along the way, but I'm too frugal to buy much internet time."

Okay, this has gone on long enough. I don't care that they made it to Barcelona. I don't care that Don will not post until after March 2. What we all want to know is that Don & Betsy Horner are safe on Marina. That's it. So could someone on board please reassure the rest of us who care? Maybe Mr. Binder, Mr. Del Rio, someone who swabs the deck, could you please give us a confirmation? Thanking you in advance!

Okay, this has gone on long enough. I don't care that they made it to Barcelona. I don't care that Don will not post until after March 2. What we all want to know is that Don & Betsy Horner are safe on Marina. That's it. So could someone on board please reassure the rest of us who care? Maybe Mr. Binder, Mr. Del Rio, someone who swabs the deck, could you please give us a confirmation? Thanking you in advance!

They are fine and on the ship and do not want to take the time to post as Don stated before he left.

Jancruz1

They are fine and on the ship and do not want to take the time to post as Don stated before he left.

Jancruz1

So glad to hear that the mystery has been solved. Hondorner may have decided to spend his travel funds on more worthwhile endeavors than Internet connections ....

Incidentally, the original title of this thread was "Wither Hondorner" - I didn't know that this was his first name, I always thought it was Don!

:D

Yes! We're here, and then some. Arrived in Barcelona early on the 19th, hotel room was ready, napped for 4 hours, and ventured out in afternoon. Went to bed about 9 PM, and slept -- wait for it -- until 2 PM the next day! We never do that -- at least, Betsy never does -- this is a new way to cope with jet lag. Ventured out again about 4 PM, got a quick snack (trying to create empty bellies ready for Marina!

Friday morning, Oceania arranged for a bus tour of Barcelona for those staying in the "company" hotel, Condes de Barcelona. Very nicely done, about 20 people. The last stop was Sagrada Familia, where the guide took us around the exterior. We elected to go inside (to see the changes since 2007), so left the bus and eventually walked back to the hotel, about 10 blocks.

Friday evening was the Cruise Critic pre-cruise dinner at Taller de Tapas on Rambla Catalumya, about 3-1/2 blocks from the hotel and about 8 blocks from the Plaza Catalonia end of Las Rambas. About 40 had signed up, and all showed up. It was brilliantly organized by Mark M. (YoHoHo), and was highly successful.

Saturday was the big day -- the Oceania bus arrived back to take us to the pier, where we arrived about 11:30 AM. Just as we got to check-in, the shore power to the ship failed and all the computers went down. It took about 20 minutes to reboot everything, we got our World Cards, went aboard -- and the computer at the gangplank was down. They wrote down our cabin number and we boarded.

We went right up to the Terrace for lunch. It's great. Much larger than the "R" ships with about double the outside tables -- all Corian or similar solid surface. Then, we started exploring. The cabins weren't ready yet, but we snuck down for a glimpse, anyway. We hid a few things in the closet so they wouldn't know we'd been there, and continued exploring. We ran into Bob Binder, and he showed us a few nooks and crannys and described some coming ideas. For example, the perfectionist, Mr. Del Rio, did not like the dark red color of a few of the landscape urns in the atrium, and plans to replace them with black in Miami...

Dinner that first night inthe GRAND Grand Dining Room, then a surprise -- a letter from Bob Binder stating that as a celebration of the Maiden Voyage, all wines and liquors would be complimentary for the duration of the voyage! Joy!

Lunch next day at the Terrace with Frank and Marsha Del Rio, who recommended I try the new Surf & Turf open face sandwich at Waves, consisting of half a hamburger bun, a small filet and a small lobster tail. It arrived with the lobster tail still in the shell, and he called the chef to say that he wanted it shelled and sliced thin before serving, so the diner could place the lobster slices on top of the open face "sandwich". Betsy wanted a milk shake, and he asked for one from the server who he had taught to make an American Milk shake -- at least 3 scoops of ice cream, thick enough to be certain the straw sticks straight up by itself. I've seen several of the milk shakes since, and the straws are indeed straight up!

We were invited that evening to dine with Captain and Denise Flokos, along with several other guests. Mrs. Flokos is gorgeous, smart, witty, outgoing and charming -- really special. As usual, everyone thinks that they should meet me because I write sort of good, but they end up being charmed by Betsy! It was no different that evening.

Sadly, the next morning the seas were too rough to safely dock in Malaga. The pilot boat was flipping around like a rubber duck in a whirlpool. If there was any doubt that we might have been able to make it, the proof was that Mr. Del Rio was due to disembark in Malaga -- and he had to stay aboard until Casablanca. Also, the seamstresses for the costumes for that evening's show were waiting at the Malaga dock -- and the Gary Musick singers and dancers had to substitute their second show, for which the costumes were ready, at the last moment. More about them later, but they are phenomenal!

We proceeded slowly on to Casablanca, Marion Paris had organized a tour with Omar, one of the top guises in the area. 14 of us were comfortable in a Mercedes Sprinter tour van, and were in time to make the 9:00 AM tour of the Hassan II Mosque. Then, it was on to Rabat -- but the van blew a tire on the highway! It was changed quickly enough, and we had plenty of time to visit a Kasbah (a walled fortress) which also contained 4th Century Roman ruins, then a walking tour of a Medina (a larger, walled, old section of the city), and finally the original Hassan Mosque (unfinished since the 12th century), with a final stop in a handicrafts shop back in Casablanca in good time to return to the ship.

We had a really rough sea day going to Tenerife. The Cruise Critic meet and greet was scheduled for 10 AM in Horizons Lounge. The staff set aside a section with "private function" signs, and perhaps 80 or so of the 94 that we expected braved the rough ride to get together. An Assistant Cruise Director greeted us with the message that the Captain had wanted to come say hello, but was staying on the bridge due to the weather. We saw a couple of waves high enough to splash on the windows in front of us on deck 15!

Many of us ended up Queezy; I missed my first pasta cooking course at 1 PM, and we ate very little that evening.

What have I missed? The deck is indeed wide at our balcony at 7108 and there is a railing both at the outside and wrapping around the front side, allowing a view all the way down the side of the ship. It also allows a view into 7106 if we turn around, and anyone in that cabin would be well advised to keep their curtains pulled... There are doors at the aft end of the hallways on deck 7, and there is is a small aft deck between the doors. However, it is not intended for public use, and might normally be kept locked. There are air condition vents along the entire wall between the doors, and the deck is not deep enough for a chair. It would be uncomfortable to go out there, and might even be a little scary when the ship is moving. The primary function is that it contains the base of the aft flag staff carrying the ship's colors.

We have not yet dined in any of the specialty restaurants, but did enjoy La Reserve a couple of nights ago. This was a very special event, and I recommend it to anyone, even those who are much of a tightwad as me. We dined in the Terrace buffet tonight and it was very, very good, but otherwise we have enjoyed the GDR.

I was apparently one of the last ones aboard to get the message that due to the intermittent service and some other factors, the internet would also be complimentary. Once I learned this, I tried for three days in the rough weather to log on, and finally succeeded this evening, with this long-winded result. I have not checked it closely for typos, so forgive me.

The biggest problem with the internet was that MTN, the new provider, did not install a large enough router to provide IP addresses to everyone who wanted or needed to sign on. The had ordered a new router to be flown into Tenerife, and I have not heard if they got it installed, but this evening after Tenerife was the first I have been successful in getting on.

I hope to log on a couple of more times, and may be able to include some pictures.

So reassuring to hear that you are there safe and sound!

What's this??!! Free booze AND free internet??!! I should have booked this cruise, yes indeed-y.

Instead I've cancelled our Jewels of the Aegean on Marina in September and we'll go to Alaska on Regatta ... Well, the rationale is that we have plenty of time to find a Marina cruise to our liking (and truth to tell I wasn't really enthralled with this itinerary) AND it looks like do Alaska this summer or don't do it.

So we'll do it! Besides, our TA made us an offer we couldn't refuse ...

But I am really lusting after the new food venues on Marina. Oh well, you can't have everything!

It's good to hear from you, and thank you for your descriptions of certain areas of Deck 7. Can you describe the aft-most PH cabin balconies on Deck 7? Do they wrap around, as some have stated?

If you were inclined to book a PH category—and you have stated you don't care about interior space, so likely would not—where would those particular PH's rank for you among other Penthouses?

Like Mura, we cancelled our Marina cruises and will go to Alaska and New England this year instead, while the ships are based closer to home, and then will decide whether a Marina or Riviera cruise is in our future for 2012.

I'm curious what you think of the huge putting area by the forward wind screens, and how other passengers feel, too. From a picture I have seen, it looks like it will restrict forward viewing for Panama Canal transits every bit as much as any cabana would. And it doesn't look it is a place to relax, but just to well, putt.....

From pictures, the pool deck looks absolutely gorgeous, especially at night. Will you have some Movies under the Stars?

Thanks again for checking in and I hope you all have smoother seas as you head back home to the USA.

Archived