All Things Mediterranean Thread

wantocruisemore

Search the treads lots of opinions on each of your questions

1) Passports: LOL, much debated. I personally didn't take them. Others say a must, enough said! All you need in ports is the cruisecard to get back on.

2) Dress, people in Europe don't wear tennis shoes. Is the ship or on shore a requirement to dress differently? Others may disagree but be respectful and use common sense and you'll be fine.

3) As to formal night, just like anywhere else, everythign from jeans to tuxs can be found. I'd say as a rule less fat Europeans than Americans :D

4) 5am dock 11am depature is tight, 1pm is smarter.

5) Embarkation, I assume you are flying in the same day? I recommend spending a few extra days in Rome, then why worry about when and how long? No different than any other cruise IMHO.

Thought I would start a thread devoted to everything for those who are cruising or have cruised the Mediterranean. I figured there's some unique issues and questions with Med cruises and it would be helpful to have a source to go to. The ports of call are great for the individual ports, but this is meant to sort of encompass questions about Med cruises in general.

I'll go first. Lots of questions.

Do people dress more formally on Med cruises? Are the formal nights more formal or will a suit and cocktail dress be fine? What about for the casual nights? Could I get away with a skort for dinner (shorts that have a skirt completely going around so that to someone looking it appears to be a skirt)?

What about in the ports? Do people dress up more?

Embarkation - I know that each port offers it's own challenges, but any particular advice for Civitavecchia would be helpful. Such as how early to port, best boarding time, etc. Description of process would be helpful.

For Debarkation, if ship docks at 5am what is the best time to arrange for private transport to pick up to head to airport. Is 11:05 am too early for flight out of Rome on debarkation day?

What type of documentation is required to go off ship? Necessary to always carry passports? Anyplace to get them stamped for each country you visit or do they do that anyway when you get off at each country?

I understand menus are the same as other 7 day cruises. Any special food recommendations?

It's been a long time since I was in the Mediterranean and we are really looking forward to this trip. Have private tours arranged for all stops so far but one.

Any replies would be helpful. With spring approaching hopefully we will get alot of information on those going.

Thanks for the passport information! I will tell you that my DH is really leery about leaving the ship without his passport in a foreign country. It's not so much that we're afraid of missing the ship, but what if you get stopped for some reason?

All of the countries that we're visiting are EU so I'm guessing that the LOS will just hold on to the passports.

I guess we'll just have to make a copy and be on our best behavior!;)

Search the treads lots of opinions on each of your questions

1) Passports: LOL, much debated. I personally didn't take them. Others say a must, enough said! All you need in ports is the cruisecard to get back on.

2) Dress, people in Europe don't wear tennis shoes. Is the ship or on shore a requirement to dress differently? Others may disagree but be respectful and use common sense and you'll be fine.

3) As to formal night, just like anywhere else, everythign from jeans to tuxs can be found. I'd say as a rule less fat Europeans than Americans :D

4) 5am dock 11am depature is tight, 1pm is smarter.

5) Embarkation, I assume you are flying in the same day? I recommend spending a few extra days in Rome, then why worry about when and how long? No different than any other cruise IMHO.

Thanks, actually we already are spending a few days in Rome pre-cruise. I was just concerned about prepping my DD, who has autistic tendancies, as to what to expect for Civitavecchia. She did fine this past fall embarking in New Orleans but I've heard Civitavecchia can be a zoo.

Thanks for the advice on flights. I'm beginning to lean against the 11:05am flight out the day we disembark. We've arranged RomeinLimo to pick us up at the port to go to the airport, but even then it may be cutting it too close. Think I will try to find a later flight. Unfortunately can't stay another night, DH has a work obligation the next day that's unavoidable.

I am adding my experience here. A couple of years ago we did a 10 night Eastern Med cruise as part of a B2B with a T/A on NOS. There were a lot of European passengers. To the point an English man commented to me on being surprised at the number of US passengers on board. Also, WJ had a number of Engliish and German foods. Indeed , I asked one of the officers in WJ about this and he replied that they knew the nationalities of the passengers and adjusted the menus accordingly. I didn't notice this in the MDR though.

I might add that this cruise was heavily discounted shortly before we were to leave, and we could have upgraded to a GS for less than what we had originally paid for our standard balcony. That could have been the reason for the number of Europeans on board.

If the ship keeps your passport, they "may" stamp them, but otherwise, they don't do passport stamps anymore.

I don't know when you last went on a MED cruise, or what ship you were on, to say they don't stamp the passport anymore. We did 2 MED cruises on RCCL in 2008/2009 and our passports were returned with stamps of the countries we visited!

I don't know when you last went on a MED cruise, or what ship you were on, to say they don't stamp the passport anymore. We did 2 MED cruises on RCCL in 2008/2009 and our passports were returned with stamps of the countries we visited!

I've done four Med cruises in the last seven years, and have never had my passport stamped on any of them, and this includes, Italy, France, Spain, Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Monaco and Turkey; all on Windstar. No idea why your passports were stamped, but I do not think this is the norm.

Thanks for starting this thread great idea for all us Med cruise newbies

Can someone tell me whether our port stops can be reached by walking into the city & doing our own thing or are organized tours the way to go we stop at

Dubrovnik Croatia 8 hrs in port

Piraeus (Athens) Greece 10 hrs in port at this port I know we will be doing an organized tour just researching local tour companies now to compare prices with Norwegian

Izmer (Ephesus) Turkey 9hrs in port

Split Croatia 7 hrs in port

Would like to find some beach time also which of these Dubrovnik, Split or Izmer would be the best for this

thank you in advance

Brent

If you are going to visit Jewish religious sites in Israel, some of them insist on a skirt, preferably below the knees. Mosques and Churches are okay with pants if they don't outline everything.

The Jewish religious sites in Israel that insist on a skirt will give you a kind of wrap around apron thing to wear over the offending garment.

Can someone tell me whether our port stops can be reached by walking into the city & doing our own thing or are organized tours the way to go we stop at

Piraeus (Athens) Greece 10 hrs in port at this port I know we will be doing an organized tour just researching local tour companies now to compare prices with Norwegian

Would like to find some beach time also which of these Dubrovnik, Split or Izmer would be the best for this

thank you in advance

Brent

I know that you can walk around the port area at Kusadasi but not as sure about Izmer. Ephesus is the place to visit there. We're booked on a private tour with Kosagan tours and Yelda as our guide. Lots of info on the Other Mediterranean Ports section. Just search for each of the ports you're interested in. That's how I found out. Lots of other companies that are highly recommended, Hello Ephesus, EKOL tours etc.

For Piraeus you can do ship's tours (not recommended unless you like crowded group cattle call tours); a private company (we're booked with Nikos and Private Greece Tours) or fairly easy to get to metro and take it to Acropolis. Again there's lots of advice in the Ports section, look under Greece and just search Athens.

Sorry I can't help directly with other ports.

Have fun planning. I've made private tour reservations for almost all our stops as well as our pre-cruise transportation/tours for Rome. I was able to find everything by going through the Ports sections and then also check Tripadvisor for back-up. The companies are pretty prompt about emailing you back. You can arrange tours for 4 or larger and get the prices lower by utilizing your roll call.

Hope this helps. This board has been invaluable to me.:)

thank you in advance

Brent

This kind of broad question is really best asked on the Med ports of call boards where you have numerous people who have been to these ports not just once but often several times (and even some locals). You'll get much more specific and accurate info. ;)

This kind of broad question is really best asked on the Med ports of call boards where you have numerous people who have been to these ports not just once but often several times (and even some locals). You'll get much more specific and accurate info. ;)

Certainly, you give much of that great information.

The Med boards are great and people are very helpful, whether you want to do ports on your own or if you are looking for advice on driver guides. You will also learn about the best way to get money in the Med and even great places to get a good lunch. My first stop on Cruise Critic is always the Med boards.

I've done four Med cruises in the last seven years, and have never had my passport stamped on any of them, and this includes, Italy, France, Spain, Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Monaco and Turkey; all on Windstar. No idea why your passports were stamped, but I do not think this is the norm.

Could this be a Windstar thing? Our passport came back with stamps from Egypt, Croatia, Cyprus, Greece and Italy. :)

Could this be a Windstar thing? Our passport came back with stamps from Egypt, Croatia, Cyprus, Greece and Italy. :)

No, it has nothing to do with the cruiseline. Probably due to your routing, entering and leaving non Schengen countries.

Archived