Maasdam, pre-drydock...

Cinder Again

Just departed the ms. Maadam Friday, after a 25 day Collector's cruise, and I am pleased to say she is in great shape!

The staff on board is happy and productive, definitely one of the happiest crew's I've seen recently. From the Captain on down, everyone seemed to work together. The cruise director, Linda Minnikin, seemed to be everywhere on the ship, and I never saw her that she wasn't actively speaking to guests and smiling and laughing with them. Trivia was well attended under her guidance, and we averaged about 10% of the people on board, which is pretty good for any single activity not involving food:D

For those who are worried about the A/C issues of the past, I can honestly say I didn't hear one complaint from anyone about serious physical plant issues on board. Yes, you would hear about a plumbing problem, but not a chronic one.

I did not think my thermostat worked at all, but in general, the cabin was cool enough and it seemed to work. I actually had to ask for a blanket at night. We had two days where the ship was sailing along, and our side of the ship (starboard) was the "sunny" side of the ship and the cabin got a bit stuffy, but always cooled down, after the sun set. Rugs, and other soft goods while definitely older, seemed well cared for. I'll be curious to see her after her drydock.

As always, the staff makes the ship, so it was nice to make some new friends on board, and to meet/renew friendships with staff and all the CC folks that sailed all, or part of the Collector's cruise with us.

Hi Kathi,

We did have a wonderful cruise, didn't we?

As far as air conditioning issues, we had none. Our thermostat worked very well and sometimes at night we had to make it warmer. We were also starboard. I agree the ship was in very good condition, but our cabin carpet was stained and the veranda cushions were worn, so I can understand the need for some updating on the dry goods.

It was great meeting you, and thanks again for arranging that wonderful luncheon after our meet and greet.

Just departed the ms. Maadam Friday, after a 25 day Collector's cruise, and I am pleased to say she is in great shape!

The staff on board is happy and productive, definitely one of the happiest crew's I've seen recently. From the Captain on down, everyone seemed to work together. The cruise director, Linda Minnikin, seemed to be everywhere on the ship, and I never saw her that she wasn't actively speaking to guests and smiling and laughing with them. Trivia was well attended under her guidance, and we averaged about 10% of the people on board, which is pretty good for any single activity not involving food:D

For those who are worried about the A/C issues of the past, I can honestly say I didn't hear one complaint from anyone about serious physical plant issues on board. Yes, you would hear about a plumbing problem, but not a chronic one.

I did not think my thermostat worked at all, but in general, the cabin was cool enough and it seemed to work. I actually had to ask for a blanket at night. We had two days where the ship was sailing along, and our side of the ship (starboard) was the "sunny" side of the ship and the cabin got a bit stuffy, but always cooled down, after the sun set. Rugs, and other soft goods while definitely older, seemed well cared for. I'll be curious to see her after her drydock.

As always, the staff makes the ship, so it was nice to make some new friends on board, and to meet/renew friendships with staff and all the CC folks that sailed all, or part of the Collector's cruise with us.

Kathi,

Having been on the first segment of your cruise, I concur with your report. It was a great cruise, the ship was wonderful, and I too was glad to make new friends. I'm just sorry we couldn't stay on for the entire 25 days.

Terri

With just 42 days, at least as I post this, to the Maasdam this is really good to hear. While we're big R and S class ship fans we've never caught a cruise on the Maasdam and really wanted to add her to our list of HAL ships. If I had a concern it was that our cruise was the last before the Maasdam goes into dry dock but your reports really help. Thanks! :)

Thanks for the review. We sailed on her in Oct. also for the Collecters Cruise and had a wonderful time We did have an air conditioning problem, Way to cold. It was fixed as soon as we reported it but not before we both got colds. It didn't ruin our cruise though. We are planning to sail her again next year. How did you find the food. We did not think it was to good, but again it did not ruin our cruise. Goodto hear from ou again. Gayle

We're really looking forward to cruising Maasdam again in June. We were aboard in December and I'm eager to compare the new soft goods in our (same) cabin and throughout. Hope they have a smooth, 'bump free' dry dock but I doubt that happens very often. :)

It will be fun to see MIX added but I'm disappointed they are removing all that gorgeous delft from the show lounge. It breaks my heart to see it gone and so wish I had a big cardboard box of those tiles to collect some of them. :D Beats me why the lounge needs redoing but what do I know? :o I'd sure love one or two of those cocktails tables in the show lounge - just the tops. My contractor could make gorgeous tables for us if we had those tops.

I agree with Kathi, and will add that any pre-drydock happenings seemed to be totally behind the scenes and had no impact at all on the cruise. There was one morning when the water system was shut off for a few hours, but they gave us about 36 hours warning and the inconvenience was minimal. I heard no complaints at all.

I did think some areas were beginning to look worn, but that amazing crew continued cleaning and polishing so that I had to really LOOK to find those worn areas. Even pre-drydock, I felt that the Maasdam was the same fine lady she's always been. I'll be anxious to sail her with the Mix installed.

Sail - it seems like someone with 30 cruises on the same ship ought to have some pull with Seattle. I'll bet you could get what you're wishing for. Can't hurt to try. :)

Judy, I agree that you should ask for the things you want. They will probably all hit the garbage somewhere. I am surprised they are redoing the lounge. I didn't see any problems there at all. You should certainly put in your request. Good luck.

First, it was great to meet and chat with you every now and then while out and about on the ship! I, too, thank you for arranging the wonderful Indonesian lunch for us following the M & G...and thanks for the bling! :)

We truly enjoyed the Maasdam...having only sailed the Noordam, which we love, I thought I'd find the Maasdam "just OK." Not so...the staff throughout the line is outstanding, but there was something extra special about the crew on the Maasdam...so many happy folks; and, many who remembered our names...not just the dining and room stewards! Our dining steward was on the Noordam when it sailed out of NYC so it was fun to have him again.

This all starts at the top. We really enjoyed the Captain and it was nice to see him throughout the cruise, and in the ports with his wife, enjoying the ship, too! Same for Linda...I've never seen a CD as visible and involved as she.

And, of course, many of us from the Roll Call really, really enjoyed Mark in the Piano Bar. I just had an email this morning from the woman from Holland who sang one night (a pax)...she must have seen my comment and email address on Mark's website so emailed me! It was fun to meet there each night, enjoy his fabulous music, and chat with each other about our day.

I booked this cruise mainly for the itinerary and was expecting the ship to be in much worse shape than it is. Yes, the soft goods are tired, but the ship is clean as can be...and the wonderful crew and nice passengers more than make up for it. I also loved the artwork on the ship.

The plumbing issue the day we were in Curacao was a non-issue for us. We left the ship for the beach; then came back to drop our stuff off before heading out again...and the water was already turned on. I, too, had to ask for an extra blanket but I'd rather it too cool than too hot! So, we had no A/C issues either.

Sail...I agree on the Rembrandt. I thought that space was particularly elegant with the delft and all the wood, and am sorry to hear that it's going.

I'm going to have to book our next cruise on the Maasdam just so I can see what they've done after drydock. ;)

What makes it so possible if someone from Seattle was to agree we could have a table top or two or a few tiles is we board in Boston in June and we disembark in Boston. It would be a snap for us to get it home. Our car company would send a van to pick us, load it on and off we go.

I can't bear thinking those gorgeous tiles and tables are going to some landfill. What a waste if that is the case.

Thanks for the review. We sailed on her in Oct. also for the Collecters Cruise and had a wonderful time We did have an air conditioning problem, Way to cold. It was fixed as soon as we reported it but not before we both got colds. It didn't ruin our cruise though. We are planning to sail her again next year. How did you find the food. We did not think it was to good, but again it did not ruin our cruise. Goodto hear from ou again. Gayle

Hey Gayle, nice to hear from you too. My email remains the same, kathimathughesdotnet, if you get a chance to drop a line.

Food is subjective, but I thought it was pretty good. I mostly eat fish, so I'm not the best at eating a variety of meats. We had some problems in that at one point we had a new assistant dining room steward and he dropped our entire tables dinners not once, but two nights in a row. He was replaced (moved to the Lido where we teased him unmercifully) but on the whole, our food was plentiful,hot and flavorful. Better than my cooking, anyday! They've added some Indonesian girls to the Lido crew, one in particular was making the omelets and her smiling face is really what I remember. They've got some female room steward (esses?) It seems like there have been cutbacks in staff over the years, but that doesn't surprise me since cruising hasn't really gotten much more expensive, and that's true of all the lines' I've cruised.

The Captain was English, James-Dunsford-something:D (You'd think I'd remember after 25 days, but then again, he didn't remember mine;)) He was extremely friendly and informative, and Linda Minniken was the CD. She too, was excellent. Over all, the Maasdam seems like a happy ship with an excellent staff. I have seen a better group of performers on board other ships, but I thought they tried, I just didn't care for their voices. They had that very good ventriliquest (Mike?, an African American guy) who is really excellent and funny. He was my favorite entertainer, by far. I've seen him before, and laughed just as hard this time.

As far as the A/C was concerned, I don't believe my thermostat worked, but the temp was ok, that's what matters to me. I'd rather be cold than hot, especially since I was in a cabin without a balcony this time, so that was good.

Joanie, I took some "before" pics that I will send along soon. I'm having some problems loading photos on this computer, so once I buy a new one, I'll send them to you for your Maasdam records.

I did not know that in the creation of the Showroom at Sea the Delft decorations were going to be removed. Why in the world do that! Among the HAL ships on which I have sailed, that type of decor for the show lounge is unique.

Another peculiar decision by someone in Seattle.

Archived