footwear??

mamoune

I don't think that is a strange question at all! The cobblestone streets and uneven surfaces present a challenge. We found some steep streets have flat, smooth stones that are slick, too.

Tennis shoes are good if you like them. My feet get too hot, so I prefer a good pair of walking sandals. I found some made by Ecco. If there is a Walking Store in your mall, go check them out.

http://www.eccousa.com

I think the best place to find the information you are looking for is the section on Cruise Critic called Cruise Fashions and Beauty:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Good luck!

I have 2 pairs of SAS walking shoes,summer and winter and 1 pair of their sandals. I have been wearing them all over Europe for the last 8 years.They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned and they last forever.I have tried others like Ecco and Clarks but for me the SAS shoes are the most comfortable.

Everyone's feet are different and how we walk is different too sooooo any good pair of walking shoes/sandals will work. I tend to wear Clarks andof course at this moment I cannot think of the name:rolleyes: of the other brand I like!

Go to the shoe store and enjoy trying them on!!

Be sure to get something with support and cushion. Not only are the streets and ruins uneven, but many of the floors are marble, such as in the Vatican. I can still remember from years ago that the only day my feet hurt was on the Vatican tour due to the hard marble.

And please get something other than tennis shoes. There are many alternatives out there these days. I like the Merrill's that have the tennis shoe type bottom but the tops are mesh and criss-cross like mary janes.

Whatever you wear, make sure that the shoes are well broken-in and not new out of the box.

This is not a time to skimp on quantity or quality. I buy the most comfortable and supportive, yet fashionable, sandals and "mary janes" that I can find and then gradually break them in before my trip. I take 2 -3 pairs so that I can rotate for daytime and another 2 - 3 pairs to rotate as well for night time. Yes, they take up a lot room in my suitcase but comfortable shoes are really important to me.

If you're going this summer, try on some different brands now. I like Clarks, Mephisto, Merrills, and I am going to try out my first pair of cork bottom Naots this summer that I bought at the end of last season. If you're going to Pompeii you'll need a pair of closed shoes. Open sandals with a really supportive sole should be good anyplace else. I don't recommend sneakers per se, they're just too hot in the Med. in the summer.

Don't forget Tevas - those sandals are very comfortable and most of the time adjustible across the toes and upper foot. Tevas are also waterproof in case you want to wade or get stuck in any rain. I take two pair of everyday walking shoes (that way your feet get a break from the same pair of shoes all week) and a very lightweight flat for evenings. If you have an REI or Dicks in your area (or online), those stores carry a lot of walking shoes or sandals.

Whatever you wear, make sure that the shoes are well broken-in and not new out of the box.

I totally agree with this statement from baggal. Buy your shoes a few weeks prior to your trip and wear them around the house until you are completely comfortable wearing them all day. The trick is to "wear them in" without "wearing them out" !!!!

A second pair (so that you can wear them on alternate days) is also a good idea.

You will do a lot of walking in Europe - definitely the best way to see the "sights".

Comfortable shoes are the most important thing in your suitcase IMO.

I like "Sketchers".

I took a pair of Clark's sandals and a wonderful pair of Rockport flip-flops (adjustable band across foot for good support and very thick sole) and they carried me over miles of cobblestones all over the Baltic ports. Even with good shoes your legs may be sore just because you use different muscles on those big cobblestones. Also, if you are going to Venice I recommend something waterproof...I have ruined two great pairs of shoes in downpours in my last two visits there and next time I will take something that won't be ruined in the water.

I love my Merrills, but on a recent trip to Kauai, Keens became my new favorite. I recently found some really cute new ones for the Med on Sierra Trading Post dot com. Their prices just can't be beat for many of the major brands already mentioned on this thread. It's easy to return too if you change your mind.

If you have poor or older feet (I have both!) you want lace up shoes that give full support. This is no time for vanity. However, avoid the tennis shoes. Get plain black, beige, etc. walkers.

For my flat feet with orthotics, I swear by my Merril hiking shoes (boots). They are plain dark brown and look fine with pants. I wear them on the plane.

For our upcoming trip to China including over two weeks on our own, I will have the Merrils and a great pair of Rockport walkers in navy blue.

I like Easy Comfort. They look sort of like a tennis shoe, but they have good support and don't look as "old" as SAS. I got them in beige and black.

I don't wear sandals, so can't say whether those would be comfortable or not.

As others suggest, try them on, then walk in them for a few hours each day to get used to them and know if they are going to be comfortable, BEFORE you go.

Have a great trip!

It may not be for everyone style-wise or function-wise, but I won't travel without my ShapeUps from Sketchers. Not because I want to get in shape when I walk, but because they help a LOT with my achy feet and knees (getting old ain't fun!). And I don't feel cobble stones under my feet when I walk with them because of their thick and cushy soles.

On my Do Not Wear list are flip flops! I've seen people fall on their face, badly cracked heels, grimy feet that would likely cause an infection if they accidentally got a cut, band-aids between their toes....and for some reason, they still kept on wearing them. Go figure. Comfort and Safety are my #1 concerns.

I was also looking for some more comfortable and fashionable shoes to tour on our upcoming cruise. The last trip to the Med. I ended up wearing my tennis shoes in Rome and anywhere else that had uneven cobblestone pathways. The tennis shoes were great, but looked so chunky with my Capri's. :D

For this upcoming trip, I have order and sent back - to Sketcher's and Zappo's - four pairs of shoes. They were all Sketcher brands. None seemed to fit right after wearing them around the house for a few days.

Last weekend, I was shopping out-of-town with a friend who had recently been to Italy. She told me that she wore Keens and they were wonderful. We happened by an REI store, so I went in and tried on two different styles of Keens and walked out with both! Wore them around the house this week and think they are keepers! They both have a solid toe (I am a tripper and want to protect my toes) and open sides for venting. Solid soles with good arch support. Also a small heel which is a must for my back. See links:

Both of these styles look so much better in person. For instance, the colors are not so intense on the stitching. I didn't know that the tan/brown had aqua stitching until I saw it on this website and then went to check out my shoes. :o Barely shows! On the black gray, the gray isn't as prominent as it seems in the photo.

http://www.zappos.com/keen-whisper-black-gargoyle - These are this years model. They are more streamlined, and I had to go a half size up.

http://www.rei.com/product/732898 - Last years model are a bit larger and true to size.

Good luck!

I love Keen's since discovering them a couple of years ago.

Some Privos (by Clark) also have worked well for me -- just ordered my second pair of these for my upcoming trip; they are comfortable, easy to get on and off, and the pewter color goes with just about anything:

http://www.zappos.com/privo-sparkler-pewter

Cynthia - I had a look via the link you provided and really like them.

They are a bit similar to my Sketchers that I like, but the pewter colour looks even more practical. I will now check out whether they are available in Australia. Hope so, but haven't seen the brand here before.

I love Keen's since discovering them a couple of years ago.

Some Privos (by Clark) also have worked well for me -- just ordered my second pair of these for my upcoming trip; they are comfortable, easy to get on and off, and the pewter color goes with just about anything:

http://www.zappos.com/privo-sparkler-pewter

Those are attractive! And I love Zappo's because you can try them and return them if they don't work.

Cynthia - I had a look via the link you provided and really like them.

They are a bit similar to my Sketchers that I like, but the pewter colour looks even more practical. I will now check out whether they are available in Australia. Hope so, but haven't seen the brand here before.

Hope you have luck; they are a relatively new (within the last few years) line from Clark's.

Those are attractive! And I love Zappo's because you can try them and return them if they don't work.

Yes, they are extemely comfortable for me -- clearly, since I just ordered a second pair. :) But everyone's feet are different. I have tried several pairs of Merrell's and they just aren't comfortable on my feet, for example, but others love them.

Im a big fan of comfort..and i dont mind paying for it...although I try to not pay so much lol. I am bringing a pair of tennis shoes, a pair of dansko clogs, and two pair of taos sandals. I went to a local store and tried them on and then found them cheaper on the internet..these shoes really need to be tried on first..but they are by far the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.great arch support..which I find very important. They are made for comfort. I know not everyone likes to pay that much for shoes, but for a trip like this I wanted to make sure I had the right shoes with me. I was the same way last time I went to italy and didnt regret it.

Archived