Secrets of the sun . . .

steve4031

Unless it changed since the drydock the Seven Seas MDR was the more formal in that you couldn't wear t-shirts, shorts or sandals (men) as was Le Bistro. All of the restaurants allowed nice jeans, and shorts were allowed in all but the 2 mentioned above.

We ate early most nights (5:30pm) so didn't wait in any lines. After around 6pm there were lines in the MDR's but I heard they weren't long waits. We always went to the early shows which began at 7:30 with seating beginning at around 7pm.

The pizza/pasta served at lunch in the old Pacific Heights now Moderno was very good and it wasn't very crowded in there. The Market Cafe buffet and Great Outdoors do serve some different items. Pizza wasn't available at the Market Cafe but we stumbled across it one day at the Great Outdoors. I liked the Great Outdoors but got soot on my clothing a couple of times before I got smarter and checked the chairs before sitting down.:rolleyes:

The crew was fantastic but I realize that some of them may have changed after the drydock. The Sun is a wonderful ship, just the right size and you will have a great time on her. Enjoy!

From what I've been told she has the largest cabins of any NCL ship. The mini-suites are wonderful!

I believe it. The inside cabin we booked is about 30 sqft larger than the inside we had on the Sky. Figures we'd get a bigger cabin when it's just DW and I:rolleyes:.

You may sit in the Spa area, nice chairs BIG WINDOWS to enjoy the view or read without having to have any spa service. There are also juice and cookies there for a snack. You can use the steam rooms and showers there as well for no charge. The shower stalls were nice a big and if you are there early enough in the cruise there were some product samples for use as well as shower caps for the taking.

1133815102_spaseatingSUN.jpg.835093ba346dbd57b87f5a82844396b1.jpg

You may sit in the Spa area, nice chairs BIG WINDOWS to enjoy the view or read without having to have any spa service. There are also juice and cookies there for a snack. You can use the steam rooms and showers there as well for no charge. The shower stalls were nice a big and if you are there early enough in the cruise there were some product samples for use as well as shower caps for the taking.

For what it's worth, last time we were aboard, there was a table sign in this area saying the chairs and snacks were reserved for customers awaiting their spa appointment. Never really saw a crowd so doubt anyone would say anything....especially since its on the way to the shower, steam and sauna.

For what it's worth, last time we were aboard, there was a table sign in this area saying the chairs and snacks were reserved for customers awaiting their spa appointment. Never really saw a crowd so doubt anyone would say anything....especially since its on the way to the shower, steam and sauna.

Oh, I didn't see that on my sailing, I guess I'll stop posting this information. It was mentioned during my spa tour that the area was available to all even without a 'treatment'. Oh well, perhaps things have changed. :)

• 11 months later...

We just got off a 7-day cruise on the Sun. Here's the secrets we found as first time cruisers.

BEST BREAKFAST: Moderno; Both waffles and omletts/eggs made to order and a much smaller crowd!

BEST DRINK DEAL: The Long Island Ice Tea; only $6 and gets you pretty buzzed!

BEST DRINK "ACTIVITY": definitely the two martini tastings at the Windjammer Bar. For $15 per person, we got 5 almost full size martinis. The second tasting was a Kettle One tasting and again, $15 and we got 5 almost full size Kettle One drinks!

BEST TIME TO DINE: We would go a little late, say 7:30 around when the first show would start. Always got into either dining room right away.

BEST "EXTRA COST" DINING ROOM: Il Adagio Italian restaurant. The extra $10 was worth the anti-pasta and bread alone!

NOT WORTH THE "EXTRA COST": East Meets West Steakhouse. Was worth extra, but not the $25 they charge.

Thanks for the tips. What is a Kettle One tasting?

Its Ketel One, a vodka from Holland.

Ketel One Vodka is distilled from 100% wheat in copper pot stills, filtered over loose charcoal, and rests in tile lined tanks until ready. Ketel One Vodka is named after the original copper pot still, “Distilleerketel #1” and is handcrafted in small batches. The alcohol content of this spirit is 40% (80 proof). The Nolet Distillery also makes Ketel One Citroen, Ketel One Oranje and Ketel 1 Jenever.

We just got off a 7-day cruise on the Sun. Here's the secrets we found as first time cruisers.

BEST BREAKFAST: Moderno; Both waffles and omletts/eggs made to order and a much smaller crowd!

BEST DRINK DEAL: The Long Island Ice Tea; only $6 and gets you pretty buzzed!

BEST DRINK "ACTIVITY": definitely the two martini tastings at the Windjammer Bar. For $15 per person, we got 5 almost full size martinis. The second tasting was a Kettle One tasting and again, $15 and we got 5 almost full size Kettle One drinks!

BEST TIME TO DINE: We would go a little late, say 7:30 around when the first show would start. Always got into either dining room right away.

BEST "EXTRA COST" DINING ROOM: Il Adagio Italian restaurant. The extra $10 was worth the anti-pasta and bread alone!

NOT WORTH THE "EXTRA COST": East Meets West Steakhouse. Was worth extra, but not the $25 they charge.

Ooh! Thanks for the tips. Two months to go!

I want to hear what you love about it! I also want to know if you find the overall ship in good repair and if the bathrooms are clean. Do you like the food and entertainment, and how is your room. What is the coffee like, and how are the pool areas..... Are you having great fun...

Thanks for any input,

Cherie

my countdown to the SUN..we will be cruising next Saturday..love the tips..I am keeping a growing list..keep them tips coming

I'm so jealous! Take lots of pics, have a fantastic time, and come back and tell us all about it! :)

I love the Sun - sailed her twice :)

If you like soft serve ice cream, and there's a line at the ice cream stand in the buffet, instead go out to the Great Outdoors (towards the back), and go past the bar to the right of the Sports Bar doors - there is a small buffet section and a self-serve ice cream machine. I found it on our second trip, and was so excited - my husband and I made it a habit to go get an afternoon coffee and treat each day.

I second using the steam and sauna - very relaxing.

Sports bar has popcorn if you like that.

Archived