Would you pay more to bring back some old features?

This would be the right time to bring back a REALLLLLLLLY old poll I did.

How much are you willing to pay for that privilege that you miss so much?

If you want them to bring it back, you have to make it WELL worth their while.

So, on top of the duty-free price in the shop, how much are you willing to pay for the ability to buy it on Day 1 and take it back to your cabin with you?

They gave us chocolates on the pillows every night last week on Allure. We were in an oceanview balcony. We did not eat them.

Yes, you will still get a turn-down chocolate on your pillow:

In any cabin on the Oasis.

In any cabin on the Allure.

In any "real" suite (GS and above) on every other ship.

If I remember correctly, a bottle of Jack Daniels was just about what you pay on land.....not the discounted price for "no tax".....but I would be willing to pay another $5.00 or so just to be able to bring the bottle to my room.

Barb

And, THERE YOU GO!

The first person to answer..................

BOOM!

So, on top of the duty-free price in the shop, how much are you willing to pay for the ability to buy it on Day 1 and take it back to your cabin with you?

I would pay 10$ a bottle, no problem - that's about double the price on a regular bottle of rum, unless you get the really fancy stuff or the large bottles. Actually, I would pay double the regular price to get it 'to go'.

I miss the homemade salad dressing in the MDR. The 'Florida Orange' was my favorite.

I miss having smoking areas in most of the bars, the Schooner Bar in particular.

I really, really miss the smaller ships and longer Caribbean trips (particularly from Florida) that have gotten pushed out by the 7-day monsters doing the same old, same old - Sovereign, Empress, Zenith, Galaxy.

I swore I was never going to fly to San Juan again, or getting on a Voyager class or larger ship, but am eating my words now, as fly out next Friday, and get on the Adventure of the Seas on Sunday. We had to get to Curacao and Dominica somehow (but we're doing it B2B with the Carnival Victory to get to St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados).

Wendy

I haven't been on RCL for about 2 years and didn't know they stopped the pillow choclate. When did that start? As far as wanting more, I'd suggest the complainers try Crystal or Seaborne. At about $4500 a person I'll bet you get a better menu.
4500.00 per person as opposed to 650.00 per person for an inside stateroom on RCI...I think I'll stay with RCI, thank you

I would pay 10$ a bottle, no problem - that's about double the price on a regular bottle of rum, unless you get the really fancy stuff or the large bottles. Actually, I would pay double the regular price to get it 'to go'.

I miss the homemade salad dressing in the MDR. The 'Florida Orange' was my favorite.

I miss having smoking areas in most of the bars, the Schooner Bar in particular.

I really, really miss the smaller ships and longer Caribbean trips (particularly from Florida) that have gotten pushed out by the 7-day monsters doing the same old, same old - Sovereign, Empress, Zenith, Galaxy.

I swore I was never going to fly to San Juan again, or getting on a Voyager class or larger ship, but am eating my words now, as fly out next Friday, and get on the Adventure of the Seas on Sunday. We had to get to Curacao and Dominica somehow (but we're doing it B2B with the Carnival Victory to get to St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados).

Wendy

Was truly my favorite salad dressing "florida Orange" Haven't seen that in a few years on RCI:(

food always has been, and will continue to be, a major focus of cruising. Anyone who says different is really just lieing to themselves.That said I do not agree that RC can not produce good quality food in mass quantites. if they can't then they are in the wrong business. And buying through the bulk quantites that they are should still ensure quality food at a fair price. Ask yourself this for the number of people who opt for the specialty dining is it that they can not provide the same quality in the MDR or is it really just about the extra profit with the specialty dining????

I posted something similar to this a while back. I was looking at some old cruise memoribilia I had in the attic. I found a cruise ticket from a 1981 for an 11 day winter cruise on Home Line's "Oceanic". We were on EOS last month for 12 days, and that cruise cost $30 more than the 1981 cruise for a comparable cabin. Yes, things were a LOT different on the Oceanic than they were on EOS, but with inflation, what would a 1981 dollar be equal to now? And if the cost went up comparatively, what would be a "equal" price for the cruise. My guess is that $830 1981 dollars would be at least 3 grand, now. And ya, if I paid 3 grand pp for a 12 day cruise, I'd be expecting a lot more! If we are paying less, we have to expect less.

This would be the right time to bring back a REALLLLLLLLY old poll I did.

How much are you willing to pay for that privilege that you miss so much?

If you want them to bring it back, you have to make it WELL worth their while.

I remember that poll. I remember saying I'd pay over $50 or so back then. I think now I'd go more. If you can find that poll, wasn't your highest choice something like $58?

If I remember correctly, a bottle of Jack Daniels was just about what you pay on land.....not the discounted price for "no tax".....but I would be willing to pay another $5.00 or so just to be able to bring the bottle to my room.

Barb

I'm pretty sure the price used to be $9 extra for the privilege of taking it back to your room. $5 would never tempt them now.

I remember that poll. I remember saying I'd pay over $50 or so back then. I think now I'd go more. If you can find that poll, wasn't your highest choice something like $58?

Hello Lady,

I have seen your posts from time to time. Just wanted to say happy sailing to you both.

Carol

Hello Lady,

I have seen your posts from time to time. Just wanted to say happy sailing to you both.

Carol

Thanks Carol! Happy sailing to you and Mr C. as well. Let's cruise together again! :) Ugh, I see I'd have to come up with more money to go with you guys. Have a great Crystal Symphony cruise!

Bring back the corkage fees for private wine.

I would be willing to pay $10 or 15 corkage for the privilege of bringing my wine into the dining room. (That is the standard charge for corkage fees where I live.) Heck – I might even pay that just to get it on the ship to enjoy on the balcony.

We don’t find the dining room food bad, but after many curses the menu does “get old”. We dine at the specialty restaurants for something different as well as perhaps something better.

We have sailed RCCL for the past 20+ years. Some changes are better than others. Like those long time cruisers, I paid more money 20 years ago for an inside cabin than I pay for a balcony today ( and that does not take inflation into consideration.). Sometimes the good old days – were not that good after all!

M

food always has been, and will continue to be, a major focus of cruising. Anyone who says different is really just lieing to themselves.That said I do not agree that RC can not produce good quality food in mass quantites. if they can't then they are in the wrong business. And buying through the bulk quantites that they are should still ensure quality food at a fair price. Ask yourself this for the number of people who opt for the specialty dining is it that they can not provide the same quality in the MDR or is it really just about the extra profit with the specialty dining????
Have no problem with the MDR Food or the food in the specialty restaurants, never have. And as far as RCI being in the "wrong" business have you looked at the stock price lately;)

"Would you pay more to bring back some old features?"

Well, I know some men and women that have paid to have their old features removed. :D

But, no, there are no old features I truly miss. Well, maybe the ribs and corn-on-the-cob at lunch.

I really don't even miss the Captain's party that much -- the free drinks were only fair and the appetizers so-so.

I just don't want to see any decrease in what is being offered now.

Airlines have pratically no service at all today when once they had great service and some even pretty decent food.

I don't think ships will go that direction, but who knows?

I still choose RCCL over Carnival when both are sailing from Galveston because I prefer the elegance of RCCL.

I say to RCCL: Please keep the elegance.

Would I pay for something better? Probably. Will I have the opportunity (save for specialty resataurants)? Nope. The cruise lines (all of them) are after the 85% of the folks who have never sailed (just a few years back it was 95%, so it's obviously working). They already have us ... and as long as we continue to book, there's no reason to "upgrade." How about us oldtimers boycotting RCI? Ain't gonna happen.

The point is always emphasized, but it's the absolute truth: we're paying about half of what we were (or even less), and sailing on much nicer ships (or at least newer and bigger ones) ... simply put, something's gotta give. We paid over $900/pp for a Mexican Riviera cruise in '96 aboard Carnival's Jubilee ... and the ship was old even then. At that time, it was a deal. Last March (same time of year, right before spring break) the trip was just over $425 on the Sapphire Princess.

Would you like those past amenities? Silversea, Oceana and Seabourn would love to have you aboard. The food thing ... it is what it is, and isn't likely to get much better. Somehow, we've always found something to satisfy our appetites, and have never left a dining room hungry. Want something a bit more upscale? Your table at the specialty restaurant awaits.

Thanks for your posts everyone, they're really interesting to read.

It seems like I am in a very very small minority, but I personally would be prepared to pay a little bit more to get some of these things, and I think it would be great if Royal Caribbean offered them as an optional extra.

It's not that I really miss the chocolates, or have any issues with the food in the dining room, but if I could pay a small amount extra (probably $5 - $10 per day) to bring back some of the nice extras that made my cruise even more special, then I probably would do. Most important to me would be a different menu to choose from in the MDR. I know the speciality restaurants are available, and I like to go to them once or twice during the cruise, but not every night.

You call it the same old crap, but from your cruise history you keep coming back, so it can not be all bad, can it??

I agree. It is not "that" bad. In fact, I have never had issues finding food that I enjoy eating on the ships. If anything, I am not sure that I have ever experienced the sensation of hunger when I have been on a cruise. And I never could understand why someone would want to eat a piece of candy before going to bed or why it is made such a big deal out of.

Archived