Update on Christchurch

kiwigirl1972

After every major aftershock the tunnel is automatically closed and inspected by engineers. It certainly was this week and reopened within a couple of hours. it's alignment is checked with lasers and they know with a few millimetres if it's shifted.

The drive over the hill adds about 30 min to the trip but is absolutely lovely, I'd suggest taking that one way as it gives you a great view of the city.

There's a lot happening in Lyttleton as the port had a lot of damage. They are also bring forward a lot of the planned upgrades for ships and the new yacht marina. so it'll be better then ever and the big trucks will be diverted away from the Lyttleton streets.

The ship that was in port during the Feb quake did a mamoth effort of finding all the passengers and getting them back to the ship, it wasn't going to leave without anyone.

I'll be home in Chch then so I hope you enjoy your stay and let me know if you need anything else

Here are some news shots from the latest quake.

All thats left of the historic Time Ball Station which stood above the port.

christchurch9timeball_16vdl16-16vdl8d.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=WS0.VT5C9y8c_7Re7mQhSA--

The Cathedral.

christchurch12cathedral_16vdl16-16vdl8d.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=3NX7qAEQueIIR6Yh6ROIzw--

Link to a photo gallery .....

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/news-gallery/a/-/article/9637507/image/12/new-photos-from-the-christchurch-earthquake/

Thanks Jen

Yes, she is doing well and recovering at home now with the others. Schools are still shut so she has plenty of company.

I am so looking forward to my trip - I have 5 weeks in the States including the 7 night Western Caribbean cruise but am only taking my 11 year old son. My teenage daughters are staying home due to university and high school exams and they cruised with me last year so feeling a bit nervous about leaving them with things the way they are here.

Hope you enjoy your trip here in November. At the moment the coastal road out of Lyttelton is blocked by a large boulder and the area has really suffered badly again. If you need any help or information while you are here just let me know I will be back from the States by then.

Sherie

Sherie,

What a typical Kiwi you are.......still offering help and advice, when there is soooo much going on over there for you. I think you all need some tourists over there, shouting you out to a nice dinner! Glad daughter is home again, family is all that matters. Will be looking forward to hearing about your W Caribbean cruise, as we are looking at one too.

Jen:)

David, thanks for the pics. I can't believe the Time Ball...just completely gone. Such a shame for the city losing huge historic buildings. Bit like in aussie, we don't have a huge historic past in terms of years, compared to other parts of the world. I am just glad I have seen these places, and can remember them.

Thanks again.....good pics.

Jen

Hi all - kiwigirl signing in! I think kiwiatchch has said it all about what it's like here right now. I'm also on the East side and living on a street covered in liquefaction. We are just so tired of this and the constant frightening aftershocks. Kiwiatchch - I hope you enjoy your cruise. I got back on 16 May from a Western Caribbean Cruise on the Carnival Dream. It was fantastic but feels so long ago now! I am now looking forward to moving to London on August 14th - most likely a permanent or long term move.

I see where you guys in ChCh were rattled yet again last night. Hoping all is ok.Jen

It must be a very stressful time for all concerned.

The Govt have just made the long waited announcement that they will announce tomorrow which parts of the City will have to be abandoned.

• 2 months later...

The following is a link to the 'stuff' website which has three videos of inside the Red Zone in August.

Quite staggering. Give a perspective of what has happened, what work has been done, and what is still to be done

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5554056/Street-level-red-zone-video-tours

They are about 5 - 6 mins each

The following is a link to the 'stuff' website which has three videos of inside the Red Zone in August.

Quite staggering. Give a perspective of what has happened, what work has been done, and what is still to be done

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5554056/Street-level-red-zone-video-tours

They are about 5 - 6 mins each

What a sad indictment on society when the media voyeuristically can't get enough of a tragic crisis when it's taking place, rushing in to use much needed resources so they can broadcast their pictures, & then when the "crisis" is over they retreat back to their bases & the public is given no further information about the ongoing plight of the victims, or whether there's anything we could do to help. My heart is breaking for Christchurch all over again :(

What a sad indictment on society when the media voyeuristically can't get enough of a tragic crisis when it's taking place, rushing in to use much needed resources so they can broadcast their pictures, & then when the "crisis" is over they retreat back to their bases & the public is given no further information about the ongoing plight of the victims, or whether there's anything we could do to help. My heart is breaking for Christchurch all over again :(

There's little that's happening day by day that the international media can report on, it's a slow and grueling process to recover from these quakes and the local papers are full of the local issues that need to be attended to, but there's little that needs international attention. Cantabrians want to get on with their lives and get back to normal as quickly as possible, but normality is going to look quite different to before the quakes, and it's really only up to those that live there as to what that will look like.

I think the cruise ships that usually would have gone to Lyttleton, and are now going to Akaroa, should have a donation box onboard. If everyone placed in say $5, and it was delivered to an official at Akaroa, then the money could build up and be sooo very useful to the Cantabrians. Cash is what they need badly I would assume. After all, they must be missing out big time on tourism dollars.

Jen

True, there's a lot of businesses that are struggling, that flows onto many families that are struggling. There's a Mayoral fund that is helping out those who fall though the cracks of the insurance and central government help, and also the Salvation Army who do a great job all the time but are helping even more people who are finding it hard to get by because of the quake.

www.salvationarmy.org.nz

http://christchurchappealtrust.org.nz/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The NZ Herald is live streaming the memorial services today from Christchurch.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10786975

The reports on the radio today started early (our local time in Oz) and are at times hard to listen to but worth it to hear the resiliance and hope. Our thoughts are with all in Christchurch today.

Colleen

The reports on the radio today started early (our local time in Oz) and are at times hard to listen to but worth it to hear the resiliance and hope. Our thoughts are with all in Christchurch today.

Colleen

I cried all through the first memorial service. No way I could contemplate logging on at work and watching. I would be a mess.

Luckily none of my partner's family or friends were injured, or even suffered any damage worth bothering about. Many were not so lucky.

We just hope that the plains eventually settle down (and those damn faults under them) and Chrischurch can start rebuilding

Colleen

Unfortunately, it has ended now (2.00 pm local time), as I'd have liked to have watched it. We should get more NZ news and TV here.

• 1 year later...

A target date and time have been announced for the final lifting of the red zone cordon in Christchurch's CBD:-

Cantabs get their city back next month

Mark the date: Friday, June 28, at 3pm.

That is when Cantabrians should have their city back.

The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) has released its red-zone cordon-reduction plan, and at that time, on that date, the final fences are set to be removed.

Every Friday from June 7 another portion of the red zone will reopen, culminating with the last section, around Cathederal Square, on June 28.

Cera cordon manager Brenden Winder said the dates were targets and could change.

This seems to firm up (to an extent) a date which had already been mooted.

Archived