Princess Cays Simulated Skydiving?

coops

I just read the patters from the Crown and in it they had Simulated Skydiving at Princess Cays has any one done this or heard about it?

I'm sure it must be a new thing.

Thanks,

Dawn

Don't think its a joke, just checked again and it says experience the thrill of flying in controlled wind tunnel. So it must be a new thing they are doing. I hope so as I would love to try it out.

Dawn

It's there, and there is no escaping it on Princess Cays. When they operate it, it sounds like a jet taking off from anywhere you might be on the beach. I don't know who's brainchild this is, but we commented loud and long about it on the survey we returned. The funny thing is that it is down past the cabanas, so those paying extra get the most noise.

As for what it is- it's basically the same as indoor skydiving you might have near where you live, but without the building to contain the noise.

I chose the two minute option over the four minute. I "take off" on March 9th. This will be totally new to me and I admit mid-life crisis may be a factor. I'm excited about it but also apprehensive.

I understand that I will be assisted in the tunnel but I'd really like to know if it's like flopping onto my bed or like flying a remote helicoptor for the first time. Straight into the trees !

Its really fun! I did it in Vegas recently and it is just like floating in the air (with wind rushing at you!). It is short and you don't move much. You do have to "dive in" though, which takes a leap of faith, but there are staff to assist you. Kudos for trying it- I am sure you will have a blast!

It's not showing up on the excursion choices on the Princess Web site.

Skydiving Experience (2 Minute Flight) - New Approximately 1.5 hours

Experience the thrill of sky diving in a vertical wind tunnel! There's no jumping or falling involved - just floating on a column of air. Your package includes a training class plus all the necessary flight equipment you need for a two-minute gravity defying adventure.

Take flight in the world of skydiving without ever having to jump out of an airplane. The smooth, wall-to-wall, constant stream of air in a vertical wind tunnel allows you to soar in a controlled environment and experience the power of human flight. Vertical wind tunnel flying involves no jumping or falling because you're just floating on a column of air. Before your two-minute flight a team of knowledgeable and professional instructors will demonstrate safety procedures, important hand signals, and how different body positions control your flight. Once you finish your flight training, you'll gear up in a flight suit, helmet, and goggles and be lead to the wind tunnel.

Once you step inside the flight chamber, just lean forward in the open doorway and your instructor will guide you in, assist you into a neutral flying position, and help you with a few basic maneuvers. You'll immediately feel the wind support your body and soon you'll master your flight skills and flip, roll, and fly through the air with the greatest of ease. This adrenaline-pumping, smile-inducing adventure is not a ride or a simulation - you're actually flying! Fun for all ages, vertical wind tunnel flying is safe for kids (aged five and up). During your flight, members of the Princess staff will be on hand to record your experience. A souvenir DVD of your flight will be made available for purchase.

SPECIAL NOTES

The minimum age required to participate is 5 years old and the child must be able to fit into the flight gear. Participants must wear shorts, T-shirt, socks and tennis shoes. Flip flops, sandals, or any open-toed shoes will not be permitted in the wind tunnel. Clothing requirements will be strictly enforced. Participants must also wear the supplied safety equipment: flight suit, helmet, ear plugs, protective goggles and knee pads. The maximum weight limit is 250 pounds. Passengers who are pregnant, have suffered from a prior shoulder dislocation, or passengers suffering from neck and back problems may not participate. Participants may not be under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs during this activity.

DVDs will only be available for pick-up on Princess Cays. Inquire with your flight crew for more details.

A complimentary tram will transport passengers to the SkyDiving Experience. Participants should plan to meet at the tram station prior to the departure time on their tickets to ensure an on-time departure of the tram.

------

And:

Skydiving Experience (4 Minute Flight) - New Approximately 1.5 hours

Experience the thrill of sky diving in a vertical wind tunnel! There's no jumping or falling involved - just floating on a column of air. Your package includes a training class plus all the necessary flight equipment you need for a four-minute gravity defying adventure.

Take flight in the world of skydiving without ever having to jump out of an airplane. The smooth, wall-to-wall, constant stream of air in a vertical wind tunnel allows you to soar in a controlled environment and experience the power of human flight. Vertical wind tunnel flying involves no jumping or falling because you're just floating on a column of air. Before your four-minute flight a team of knowledgeable and professional instructors will demonstrate safety procedures, important hand signals, and how different body positions control your flight. Once you finish your flight training, you'll gear up in a flight suit, helmet, and goggles and be lead to the wind tunnel.

Once you step inside the flight chamber, just lean forward in the open doorway and your instructor will guide you in, assist you into a neutral flying position, and help you with a few basic maneuvers. You'll immediately feel the wind support your body and soon you'll master your flight skills and flip, roll, and fly through the air with the greatest of ease. This adrenaline-pumping, smile-inducing adventure is not a ride or a simulation - you're actually flying! Fun for all ages, vertical wind tunnel flying is safe for kids (aged five and up).

During your flight, members of the Princess staff will be on hand to record your experience. For those passengers that purchase the four-minute flight, a souvenir DVD of your flight is included in the tour price.

SPECIAL NOTES

The minimum age required to participate is 5 years old and the child must be able to fit into the flight gear. Participants must wear shorts, T-shirt, socks and tennis shoes. Flip flops, sandals, or any open-toed shoes will not be permitted in the wind tunnel. Clothing requirements will be strictly enforced. Participants must also wear the supplied safety equipment: flight suit, helmet, ear plugs, protective goggles and knee pads. The maximum weight limit is 250 pounds. Passengers who are pregnant, have suffered from a prior shoulder dislocation, or passengers suffering from neck and back problems may not participate. Participants may not be under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs during this activity.

A souvenir DVD is included for passengers who purchase the 4-minute flight. DVDs will only be available for pick-up on Princess Cays. Inquire with your flight crew for more details.

A complimentary tram will transport passengers to the SkyDiving Experience. Participants should plan to meet at the tram station prior to the departure time on their tickets to ensure an on-time departure of the tram.

Its not listed in the excursions-they will leave you a form in your stateroom the day before you arrive there- I know there were people who signed up for it snd we did not hear any noise from it

Thanks for the info, glad you posted Caribill as I would not have known to bring tennis shoes and socks with me on the cruise. Now I am very excited and scared but always wanted to try this can't wait till then.

Dawn

Skydiving Experience (2 Minute Flight) - New Approximately 1.5 hours

Experience the thrill of sky diving in a vertical wind tunnel! There's no jumping or falling involved - just floating on a column of air. Your package includes a training class plus all the necessary flight equipment you need for a two-minute gravity defying adventure.

Take flight in the world of skydiving without ever having to jump out of an airplane. The smooth, wall-to-wall, constant stream of air in a vertical wind tunnel allows you to soar in a controlled environment and experience the power of human flight. Vertical wind tunnel flying involves no jumping or falling because you're just floating on a column of air. Before your two-minute flight a team of knowledgeable and professional instructors will demonstrate safety procedures, important hand signals, and how different body positions control your flight. Once you finish your flight training, you'll gear up in a flight suit, helmet, and goggles and be lead to the wind tunnel.

Once you step inside the flight chamber, just lean forward in the open doorway and your instructor will guide you in, assist you into a neutral flying position, and help you with a few basic maneuvers. You'll immediately feel the wind support your body and soon you'll master your flight skills and flip, roll, and fly through the air with the greatest of ease. This adrenaline-pumping, smile-inducing adventure is not a ride or a simulation - you're actually flying! Fun for all ages, vertical wind tunnel flying is safe for kids (aged five and up). During your flight, members of the Princess staff will be on hand to record your experience. A souvenir DVD of your flight will be made available for purchase.

SPECIAL NOTES

DVDs will only be available for pick-up on Princess Cays. Inquire with your flight crew for more details.

------

And:

Skydiving Experience (4 Minute Flight) - New Approximately 1.5 hours

Experience the thrill of sky diving in a vertical wind tunnel! There's no jumping or falling involved - just floating on a column of air. Your package includes a training class plus all the necessary flight equipment you need for a four-minute gravity defying adventure.

Take flight in the world of skydiving without ever having to jump out of an airplane. The smooth, wall-to-wall, constant stream of air in a vertical wind tunnel allows you to soar in a controlled environment and experience the power of human flight. Vertical wind tunnel flying involves no jumping or falling because you're just floating on a column of air. Before your four-minute flight a team of knowledgeable and professional instructors will demonstrate safety procedures, important hand signals, and how different body positions control your flight. Once you finish your flight training, you'll gear up in a flight suit, helmet, and goggles and be lead to the wind tunnel.

Once you step inside the flight chamber, just lean forward in the open doorway and your instructor will guide you in, assist you into a neutral flying position, and help you with a few basic maneuvers. You'll immediately feel the wind support your body and soon you'll master your flight skills and flip, roll, and fly through the air with the greatest of ease. This adrenaline-pumping, smile-inducing adventure is not a ride or a simulation - you're actually flying! Fun for all ages, vertical wind tunnel flying is safe for kids (aged five and up).

During your flight, members of the Princess staff will be on hand to record your experience. For those passengers that purchase the four-minute flight, a souvenir DVD of your flight is included in the tour price.

SPECIAL NOTES

A souvenir DVD is included for passengers who purchase the 4-minute flight. DVDs will only be available for pick-up on Princess Cays. Inquire with your flight crew for more details.

Sounds fun. When looking at the Princess web site under cruise personalizer for our April 2 cruise - it's not showing up. We might give it a try.

I’ve done this in Vegas as well. You will walk into a round chamber with a grill floor, under the grill is a high powered fan. The sides of the chamber have a ring of padding about 3 feet high and three feet from the sides of the chamber, with the grill and fan in the center. You are suited up in a jump suit and given a short lesson on what positions you should hold your body.

You lie down on the grill and they turn on the fan, as the wind speed increases you will be lifted off the grill, if you twist out of position you will fall back to the ground/grill, this is where the handlers come in they will “push” you so that you will fall into the padding on the sides of the tunnel.

If you have no experience you will fall a few times but the handlers will do their best to ensure you don’t fall on the grill. The more experience you have the more fun you will have.

I watched one guy who had tons of experience and he was doing all kinds of things, he’d fly to the top of the chamber and twist and fall then open up to the correct position and the air would catch him, and take him back up to the top, it was very impressive, my experience was not like his though as I had never skydived before. I had fun, but doubt I’d do it again.

Edited to add that it appears they do it slightly different, the fan is on when you enter, in Vegas the fan was off and they set you on the grill and turn in on.

I just read the patters from the Crown and in it they had Simulated Skydiving at Princess Cays has any one done this or heard about it?

I'm sure it must be a new thing.

Thanks,

Dawn

I've booked the 4 minute version. I've always wanted to skydive but DH really doesn't want me to. I've wanted to do this for years, so now I am going to have the chance:D. You also get a DVD of the event at no extra charge if you are booking 4 minute version. I can't wait. We are leaving Sunday on the Ruby.:D:D

I've changed my 2 minute ride for the 4 minute because it includes the DVD. I've google video'd "vertical wind tunnel" to get an idea of what I'm in for but most of what I saw were the experienced and it looks absolutely CRAZY !

gotta jump into this conversation... as a (lapsed) skydiver who has, like many others, used wind tunnels to train in ... it is just SO much fun :) ...my non-skydiver husband and daughter have also done some tunnel flying and loved it ...

there are a number of permanent wind tunnels around the US where you can do this too - for coops and others who want to try and the availability with cruises doesn't work - heartily recommended as it is really is a lot of fun. google ifly or wind tunnel to find locations (the one we used is in orlando)

(warning: you may have so much fun that you get the urge to jump out a plane and try it for real too :D)

Archived