Key West at 7 am - What's open?

In a few weeks my husband and I will be on our first cruise. Day one is Key West from 7 am to 3 pm. I am excited and want to start exploring right away, but what will be open at 7 am??

We are not paying for any excursions. The plan is just to walk down Duval Street and check out a beach or two (Zachary Taylor Historic Park & Higgs Beach)

Will the park be open at 7 am? How about restaurants (to at least look around) like Sloppy Joes and Margaritaville?

Thanks.

In a few weeks my husband and I will be on our first cruise. Day one is Key West from 7 am to 3 pm. I am excited and want to start exploring right away, but what will be open at 7 am??

We are not paying for any excursions. The plan is just to walk down Duval Street and check out a beach or two (Zachary Taylor Historic Park & Higgs Beach)

Will the park be open at 7 am? How about restaurants (to at least look around) like Sloppy Joes and Margaritaville?

Thanks.

:cool:most places are not open at 7:00. Have breakfast, then go ashore. All major bars, Sloppy's, Hog's Breath, Green Parrott, Captain Tony's (the original Sloppy Joe), Fogarty's and Margaritaville have their own wesbites. Check out their opening times. I like the Conch Train, end of Duval St. Take a ride, hear the history of Key West and then hit the bars. You have the Treasure Musuem, which all of these things you can do your self. Also have Hemmingways house, which no big deal. One block east of Sloppy's is a bar called Fogarty's. If you turn left, there, there is a fantastic Bed and Breakfast, Curry Mansion Inn. Stop in and look around and get a brochure. If you ever come back on your own, you will want to stay there. One of top 10 in country. Remember - "Hogs breath is better than no breath at all" LOL:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN.

P.S. Sloppy's and Hogs Breath have webcams. We had co-workers put there websites on favorites list. When we got to bars, we called them on cell phones, stood in front of webcams, and they got to see us live on vacation. Did with Kids also

If so inclined to not deal with the "breakfast crunch" for breakfast, another phenomenal choice is to go do Blue Heaven at the corner of Thomas and Petronia. AWESOME Benedicts, and other breakfast items. They open at 8, and there's often a wait...but definitely worth it. Leisurely breakfast, then you're good to go for the wander along Duval.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could rent a moped and kill an hour or two tooling around the island. This would be a good time to visit the Southernmost Point marker, as it's not likely to be as crowded so early in the morning. By the time you've seen enough and are ready to start exploring Duval Street in-depth, things should be opening up.

we were there in Oct and docked at 7am so we went on the conch train right when we got off the ship, and then did our Duval St walk after the tour. It was a good way to see alot, and know where you might want to go back to.

Enjoy!

Thanks.

Technically it will be Day Two and now tell me is it a sunday. It was for us both times we pulled in and had to be on board by 1 pm. Florida is one of those blue law states = no booze sales until after 1pm on sundays. Fort Lauderdale JUST lifted this ban in Feburary, maybe Key West did also - you need to check. We slept in till 8, had breakfast inthe WJ and just took the bike company shuttle to a bike rental placed (i read reviews - a couple of blocks away). We really enjoyed riding around Key West. We hit all the hotspots. when we were done, we had them drop us (it was really too hot to walk). We've been there before many times, so the bike excursion on our own was fun. We stopped at Hogs breath and that is when we found out no sunday booze sales. grrrrrrrrr

Considering Key West is all about partying, it was just a weird hour to be there.

Another time we did the Parasail - they will be open for the cruise ships.

If you are so inclined there will be some bars open at 7am:eek::p

not if its a sunday, unless they lifted the ban in Feb. like Lauderdale has

If so inclined to not deal with the "breakfast crunch" for breakfast, another phenomenal choice is to go do Blue Heaven at the corner of Thomas and Petronia. AWESOME Benedicts, and other breakfast items. They open at 8, and there's often a wait...but definitely worth it. Leisurely breakfast, then you're good to go for the wander along Duval.

Blue Heaven gets my vote too! Its only a short walk from the ship and it is just an awesome place to have breakfast. By the time you walk there and eat, places will be opening up.

Aquahound's house should be open by then too! :p If not just bang on the door and sooner or later Mrs. Aquahound will throw a pot of coffee on for you!:)

BTW, stop by the Blonde Giraffe for some chocolate dipped frozen key lime pie on a stick at some point while you are there.

Another vote for Blue Heaven. Great for breakfast. If you are so inclined, you might want to check out the Butterfly Conservatory while there. It's pretty amazing. I do have to admit, though, I've been there four times in the last 12 years for vacations and there is not a lot to do but walk or bike around at 7 am!

we were there in Oct and docked at 7am so we went on the conch train right when we got off the ship, and then did our Duval St walk after the tour. It was a good way to see alot, and know where you might want to go back to.

Enjoy!

We did this too! We took the tour offered in Key West, not the one offered throught the ship. We could get on and off this way to explore (and pick up the next "train"). Enjoyed lunch at "Red fish, Blue fish". They we walked a few blocks to a small store which we were told on the "train" had great key lime pie. (It was great! Wish I remembered the name of the place)

I went to a coffee shop which has internet (not free), but they told me the library had free internet, but it wasnt open yet. I did get another 30 minutes free internet at the library in Key West and then walked to the souternmost rock and past hemingways and saw the cats for about 20 feet away in the yard etc.

... we walked a few blocks to a small store which we were told on the "train" had great key lime pie. (It was great! Wish I remembered the name of the place)

You will find great Key Lime pie at "Kermit's", and the "Blond Giraffe". As mentioned above check out the frozen chocolate dipped Key Lime Pie on a stick!

not if its a sunday, unless they lifted the ban in Feb. like Lauderdale has

If there was ever a Sunday ban in Key West, it was prior to me moving here 14 years ago.

Aquahound's house should be open by then too! :p If not just bang on the door and sooner or later Mrs. Aquahound will throw a pot of coffee on for you!:)

BTW, stop by the Blonde Giraffe for some chocolate dipped frozen key lime pie on a stick at some point while you are there.

Sam, you are going to get me in trouble. Mrs. A has a hard enough time dealing with me on early pre-coffee Sundays. ;)

BTW, Blonde Giraffe went out of business. Bummer. Kermits is still there, though.

Rent an electric car and tour the island when it is early. It would be a great time to ride all over and then stop when places open. Use a search engine to find a company that will accomodate you by picking you up at the ship and take you to their rental place. It really gives you mobility and fun. We loved it:)

• 3 years later...

We slept in, went to breakfast a little later when the crowds were less, then went ashore. Took the Conch Train around town while waiting for the shops, etc to open, then we went to The Mel Fisher museum and pirate display! It was fabulous. By the time we finished all the shops were open and we did Duval Street, got a "roadie" margarita at the flying monkey and finished at the harbor.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We slept in, went to breakfast a little later when the crowds were less, then went ashore. Took the Conch Train around town while waiting for the shops, etc to open, then we went to The Mel Fisher museum and pirate display! It was fabulous. By the time we finished all the shops were open and we did Duval Street, got a "roadie" margarita at the flying monkey and finished at the harbor.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

This thread is over 3 years old lol. Looks like Blondgiraffe just wanted to let people know their business would be reopening. Tavernier doesnt look anywhere close to Key West though so Im not sure how they would think posting this on a cruise forum would help?

Edited by ryano

This thread is over 3 years old lol. Looks like Blondgiraffe just wanted to let people know their business would be reopening. Tavernier doesnt look anywhere close to Key West though so Im not sure how they would think posting this on a cruise forum would help?
So far 45 posts all the same.