Self-embarkation

mamoune

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as self-embarkation on the Solstice? My sister just came back from a Carnival cruise and did self-embarkation and just loved it because the luggage came early to the cabin :-) I was thinking of doing just that if it available because on our last cruise, my DH's suitcase arrived very late, close to midnight!!!

Thanks!

Generally, no. The luggage screening equipment at the entryway is only big enough to accommodate the standard, rollaboard suitcase, the size you would carry on an airplane. Large suitcases must be checked at the entrance to the terminal. I know that there are some cruisers who can manage with only one small carry=on suitcase (how do they do it?) but most of the rest of us have suitcases which are too big to fit through the machines.

If you're standing in line with large pieces of luggage, security will tell you to leave the line and give those bags to a porter. All luggage is security screened and unless all your bags are the small carry on size, you won't be allowed to carry them on board.

Oh well, guess I will have to cruise with Carnival next time as my sister was able to self-embark. I guess the scanners are bigger than the Celebrity ones :)

Now that's a reason to go with Carnival......allow anybody to bring anything on board without any security check.....NOT !!

Brian

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as self-embarkation on the Solstice? My sister just came back from a Carnival cruise and did self-embarkation and just loved it because the luggage came early to the cabin :-) I was thinking of doing just that if it available because on our last cruise, my DH's suitcase arrived very late, close to midnight!!!

Thanks!

You said she did self-embark, but you also said the luggage came to the cabin early. Do you just mean because she brought it on herself?

Oh well, guess I will have to cruise with Carnival next time as my sister was able to self-embark. I guess the scanners are bigger than the Celebrity ones :)

If carrying your full sized suitcases on is that important, do it.

Personally and from general observation, luggage is delivered before dinner in almost all cases. We always bring a roll on that has changes of clothes, meds, general stuff we need that day. Just as suggestion.

Den

And I hope you cruise from that particular port and terminal since I doubt Carnival does this for all their cruises. Cruised Carnival last year and it was handled as does All other Lines.

You also might double-check that your sister is actually talking about embarkation and not debark. Many ports/terminals have their own security req that aren't Cruise Line controlled.

Den

Den

And you might check what size suitcase your sister used. Carnival's guidelines are 16x24x30 for carryon...A big duffelbag would fit. I did carryon only last week, but my case was a well stuffed full size carryon bag. But the cruise was only 5 days. EM

Now that's a reason to go with Carnival......allow anybody to bring anything on board without any security check.....NOT !!

Brian

Who said anything about bags not being checked? They go through the x-ray scanner like every other cruiseline and airline does. If your bag can fit through the scanner, doesn't matter what cruiseline you are on, you can carry it aboard yourself. And it is not Carnival that decides on size of scanners. That is what the port has, and it's a standard just like at the airports.

A person wants to go with Carnival just because they want to schlep bags on a ship? So what if bags show up a couple hours after dinner. It's not the end of the world. And Carnival does x ray bags and they don't have larger scanners, from my experience. The OP's sister must have small luggage.

Thanks!

Yes, we did this on the Solstice E. Med last year and planning on doing same on Solsticve W. Med this June.However we packed only a 21" roll-on and a small tote . Had plenty of clothes for the entire trip inc extra time in Rome. I've posted on this this previously. It does give you a sense of freedom(no sitting waiting/wodnering where the bags are etc)

Carole

And you might check what size suitcase your sister used. Carnival's guidelines are 16x24x30 for carryon...
In that case, most regular full-sized suitcases would fit very easily.

Actually, the physical restrictions for the scanner would be the height and width because the length of the suitcase really should not matter.

Yes, we did this on the Solstice E. Med last year and planning on doing same on Solsticve W. Med this June.However we packed only a 21" roll-on and a small tote . Had plenty of clothes for the entire trip inc extra time in Rome. I've posted on this this previously. It does give you a sense of freedom(no sitting waiting/wodnering where the bags are etc)

Carole

Wow you are good. I am not sure a 21" would fit our formal attire and personal item let alone a whole cruise. I am impressed:D:D

Wow you are good. I am not sure a 21" would fit our formal attire and personal item let alone a whole cruise. I am impressed:D:D

I'm a bit obsessive about carrying on(OK I'm nuts) but having traveled solo for many yrs & knowing that I was the only one to lift & carry I learned to plan a wardrobe. I don't want to stress over the "will my suitcase get on the same plane I'm on" factor- as I'm way too busy flying the plane :)

I use space bags & or my Flt Pack from Flt 001 and plan out/lay out what I need. I have a list for DH & myself. Remember its a vacation so I budget for one load of ship laundry.

DH only brought the tux when we sailed on the Crown & departed from Brooklyn(car no flight) & then the ship tipped over & we had to fly home-long story but I'm famous for it on CC. Now he packs the Blue Blazer & looks fine.

Carole

I am sure my sister meant self embarkation and she said both her suitcase and carry on fit into the scanner. She has a husband and two teens travelling with her and I am sure her suitcase is bigger than a carry on. Since they got on the ship about the same time the cabins were ready, she brought her suitcases to the cabin and un packed, before going back to the Lido deck for lunch.

We cruised twice with Celebrity and I guess we were just very unlucky but our suitcases always arrived very late. In fact, once, we even had to wait for my husband's suitcase to arrive before going to bed, and we choose late seating for dinner, so I guess it must have been after 11 when the suitcase arrived. Which is why, if I could carry my suitcase myself on board, I would.

It is only the width and the height that matters, not the length of the suitcase. It does not matter which cruiseline it is as it depends on port authority and the size of the scanners. I have carried my suitcases on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL and HAL. The only place where I could not get through was Dover, England.

Cruiselines take very little responsibility for lost suitcases...

Archived