Likes, Dislikes, Eurodam

oshawa

We will be taking the Northern Baltics cruise on May 22/2011. I have sailed on other HAL ships (Westerdam, Noordam) but just wanted some comments on the Eurodam prior to our sailing.

My travelling companion absolutely hated the Westerdam so I am hoping that I can provide her with some positives about the Eurodam.We will be in the category VE cabins, verandah, midship.

Same here--love Tamarind and Silk Den--hate the cabanas around the pool. The only Vista we have not been on is the Oosterdam. Our Fav is the Noordam. We like the Nieuw Amsterdam better than Eurodam. We found nothing wrong with Westerdam but that was a few years ago. Lots of walking on those ships although they are considered midsize by Royal Caribbean megaship's size..

I've been on the Eurodam in both the Carribbean and the Baltic. Its like being on two different ships. For one, I also think the cabanas around the pool are ridiculous and make the pool seem very claustrophobic. I would probably never sail on the Eurodam or the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Carribbean because of them.

On the other hand, our itinerary in the Baltics was amazing. First of all, for a baby boomer who remembers the threat of nuclear war with the USSR (yes, I hid under my desk during drills) the opportunity to visit both Berlin and Russia on one trip was unbelievable. We went in the end of June and while the weather was beautiful in every port, we never used the main pool on sea days, so never had to deal with the cabana crowding issue. Overall the food was better on the Baltics cruise (more varied - more interesting selections) but the service was about the same.

I would strongly recommend the Eurodam for a Baltic cruise.

Weigh the benefit to you against how it diminished the Lido pool area for everyone else.

igraf

We had one of the cabanas around the pool and thought it was one of the best parts of the cruise.

I agree with KK and will add that Tamarind is free for lunch and yummy.You do need reservations there for lunch and dinner.:)

Is it free for Lunch or only if you have paid to have dinner there?

I was under the impression you could only have the free lunch in Tamarind, if you had completed a dinner reservation.

Is it free for Lunch or only if you have paid to have dinner there?

I was under the impression you could only have the free lunch in Tamarind, if you had completed a dinner reservation.

Not true. We had an enjoyable lunch at the Tamarind last may. We did not ever eat dinner there or make reservations, nor was that ever suggested.

Diane

We have never sailed on the larger HAL ships. I am curious if they still have the same feel the smaller ships do. I know they are not huge, but do they loose the intimate feel?

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

We've sailed on some of the 'larger' ones. We enjoyed the Ooesterdam & the Zuiderdam. Quite nice but not quite as intimate as our Rotterdam sailing. Found the NA nearly cold. JMO though - please no flames ;)

Personally, I do find the smaller ships more intimate - some of the larger ones can come close and others (depending on the cruise, the staff, etc.) will not seem nearly as intimate. Part of the reason I've headed back to the 'smaller' ships.:)

Jacqui

I agree with Kazu about the NA, my least favorite HAL ship so far followed by the Oosterdam. The Eurodam was fine for the Baltic Cruise that is very port intensive. My very favorite large ship is the Noordam. She retains the elegant small ship feel. I just wish she had the Tamarind.

Not true. We had an enjoyable lunch at the Tamarind last may. We did not ever eat dinner there or make reservations, nor was that ever suggested.

Diane

Amazing! Thanks. We sail saturday, and I'll be sure to take in the free lunch. I can't recall where i'd heard otherwise. Do you need to make a reservation?

Editted because I re-read your post and see that you did not make reservations! thanks again.

Amazing! Thanks. We sail saturday, and I'll be sure to take in the free lunch. I can't recall where i'd heard otherwise. Do you need to make a reservation?

Editted because I re-read your post and see that you did not make reservations! thanks again.

Thanks to all for your interesting responses. What my friend did not like on the Westerdam was the size and layout of the ship and the Lido dining which was too much back and forth to get your food. I realize the Eurodam is as large as the Westerdam but perhaps with the port intensive cruise my friend won't notice hopefully the actual size??

Archived