Traditional, nautical feel or mall at sea?

Shep_Proudfoot

I realize that. I just don't agree with it.

By the way, I would cruise HAL in a heartbeat, only because I never have and it intrigues me. I'm a cruise lover who loves all types of cruise ships for different reasons.

I don't agree either. Just because RCI puts their 3 stores and a couple bars on one level where Princess and Carnival puts them on 3 levels in the atrium doesn't make RCI a mall.

I don't agree either. Just because RCI puts their 3 stores and a couple bars on one level where Princess and Carnival puts them on 3 levels in the atrium doesn't make RCI a mall.

I also don't agree with the mall comparison. The largest ships out there of the major lines don't have any more shopping on board than the small ships, including HAL. I've cruised on the smallest and largest of cruise ships and never have I felt I wasn't on a cruise ship.

I also don't agree with the mall comparison. The largest ships out there of the major lines don't have any more shopping on board than the small ships, including HAL. I've cruised on the smallest and largest of cruise ships and never have I felt I wasn't on a cruise ship.

Maybe an "Amusement Park" is a more apt description than a shopping mall. But whatever you call them, anything over 100,000 GT isn't for me. I don't need Central Park, Johnny Rockets, Rock Climbing Walls, Water Shows, Water slides, Ice Skating rinks, nor even pay restaurants. I don't usually participate in much on-board anyway, maybe a session of bingo, but that's about it.

I go on a cruise to enjoy being at sea and visiting various ports, not be entertained non-stop.

Me too, Eleanore! No desire to climb a rock wall or go ice skating or bowling or any of that other amusement park atmosphere. Different strokes for different folks (shrugs....) I prefer the smaller vessels where I feel like I'm on a ship, where the ports are the destination, not the ship. Yup, I'm a HAL girl, and don't see that changing anytime soon. The rest of you can have the big bohemoths and all that goes with it. Give me the Amsterdam or the Volendam anytime, thanx very much. ;) Good thing there are so many choices out there to fit everyone's idea of crusing and vacation.

We agree with the OP. You might want to try some so-called small ship cruising. When we started crusing (nearly forty years ago) a typical cruise ship was about 20,000 tons. In fact our first cruise was on the 14,500 ton Sunward II. Today the small ships are somewhat larger (usually 30 - 50,000 tons). The Prinsendam has the old small ship feel (the ship is more then 20 years old). We also love the old Renaissance ships (8 were built) of which Oceania has 3, Azamara 2, and Princess 2 (soon to be 1). All of these ships are about 700 passenger. You will not find shopping malls on any of these ships, no rock climbing walls, no water slides, no diving for spoons, very few annoying PA annoucements, and very few lines.

Hank

Wow Hank,

I thought the old Noordam at 50,000 tons was small. But we did love her. 20,000 GT is a yacht!

But alas, times are a changing. Wish I could afford the Prinsendam. Almost made it on the Maasdam but they wanted $500 more per person for almost the same Canada/New England cruise as Celebrity, so we opted for the savings.

I did the Grand Princess for the Med and although she was only 110,000 GT she sure seemed a lot larger than Zuiderdam at 91,000 GT. As a matter of fact, our cabin was aft and we only walked to the showroom once, as it was just too far for us to make the return trip. We didn't do a lot of wandering on that baby!

We just got off the Oceania Marina ..it has some glitz but overall it is a very nice ship

The small Oceania ships are very much traditional to my thinking

The entertainment is not a priority nor are the shore excursions so if you need those features it may not be for you

We agree with the OP. You might want to try some so-called small ship cruising. When we started crusing (nearly forty years ago) a typical cruise ship was about 20,000 tons. In fact our first cruise was on the 14,500 ton Sunward II. Today the small ships are somewhat larger (usually 30 - 50,000 tons). The Prinsendam has the old small ship feel (the ship is more then 20 years old). We also love the old Renaissance ships (8 were built) of which Oceania has 3, Azamara 2, and Princess 2 (soon to be 1). All of these ships are about 700 passenger. You will not find shopping malls on any of these ships, no rock climbing walls, no water slides, no diving for spoons, very few annoying PA annoucements, and very few lines.

Hank

Princess currently has 3: Royal Princess, Pacific Princess, Ocean Princess. they will ahve two when royal P. leaves the fleet. EM

Wow Hank,

I did the Grand Princess for the Med and although she was only 110,000 GT she sure seemed a lot larger than Zuiderdam at 91,000 GT. As a matter of fact, our cabin was aft and we only walked to the showroom once, as it was just too far for us to make the return trip. We didn't do a lot of wandering on that baby!

That's funny because the Grand Princess and Zuiderdam are the same length. The Grand gains it's tonnage in width, and some smaller partial decks up top.

That's funny because the Grand Princess and Zuiderdam are the same length. The Grand gains it's tonnage in width, and some smaller partial decks up top.

Yup, I know that. I guess it was because our room on Zuiderdam was mid-ship whereas we were all the way aft on the Grand.

But even when we pulled into port, the Grand always dwarfed any of the other ships. In Naples, we even docked way at the opposite end of the pier (the Captain said because we were so large)???

BUT WHATEVER THE REASON, I KNOW I DON'T EVEN WANT TO CONTEMPLATE THE NEW BEHEMOTHS THAT ARE BEING MADE NOW:eek:

I really prefer a more traditional, nautical feel on a ship rather than glitz, glam or the feeling that I am in a floating mall. For an example of the former I think of the Celebrity Millenium, for the latter in my personal experience the Carnival Conquest felt somewhat mall-like but likely would seem relatively traditional in comparison to the new Oasis of the Seas and Epic class ships from RCCL and NCL, respectively. (ships I likely would never book, save an amazing deal)

So, what ships or lines do you feel are most "ship-like" and "nautical feeling" and can be recommended to someone like me who doesn't like the concept of a mega mall at sea?

If you like small ships, then perhaps you should look into Seabourn. The Seabourn ships carry less than 500 passengers each.

As some others have said, HAL seems to have the most traditional-looking ships of the more mass-market lines today. I've sailed on two of her 80,000 ton ships (Zuiderdam and Westerdam) and if you don't want a really small ship, this size is a nice compromise.

For me, I see myself moving more toward the smaller ships now that I will cruise solo more often. (My son likes a few more bells and whistles, though not as many as found on the huge ships of the last couple of years....) I sailed with Voyages to Antiquity last year, a ship that carries about 350 passengers tops, and it reminded me of all the things I liked about cruising when I first started back in the 1970s on the Sitmar Fairwind (about 24,000 tons).

HAL certainly has the most nautical ambiance on board. And it is descended from an over-a-century old ocean liner heritage.

That said, for nautical appearance on the outside, the Disney ships are retro styled to look the most like old liners. Long bows, twin 'funnels', traditional stern, etc. However, it doesn't follow through that way aboard.

The Disney ships are a horrible pastiche of "Ocean Liner" Why not actually sail on an ocean liner - Cunard's Queen Mary 2? (Not that I'd want to cruise on her, but crossing the North Atlantic is quite something....)

Both Cunard and P&O are the possessors of a history going back to the first part of the nineteenth century.

WD

The Disney ships are a horrible pastiche of "Ocean Liner" Why not actually sail on an ocean liner - Cunard's Queen Mary 2? (Not that I'd want to cruise on her, but crossing the North Atlantic is quite something....)

Both Cunard and P&O are the possessors of a history going back to the first part of the nineteenth century.

WD

Yup William Dean,

Those were the days, P&O in 1837, Cunard in 1840 and HAL in 1873.

It's too bad all those old liners couldn't manage to stay in business and had to be bought out by CARNIVAL (1972) of all things. Can you imagine the indignation!

I would love to sail Cunard just to see what's it's like. I hate TAs though, and Cunard is a little rich for my blood, so don't ever see that happening.

I'll have to settle for whichever cruise my pocketbook can afford.

To me the Radiance class on RC is great. I love the look of some of the Princess and Celebrity ships, but havn't tried them yet. I can go to the Mall when I'm home(and still don't) The Freedom will be our largest yet and I doubt we would ever book Oasis except a super deal or itinerary.

• 4 weeks later...
:)We like a ship to look and feel like a ship, not like a small town made to float. We favor two cruise lines at present; Princess and HAL, although all lines are starting to build these huge monstrosities which just don't fit our bill. We also like the time at sea which is, in reality, the most relaxing part of a cruise. A lot of ports mean a lot of hustle and bustle which is fine if you want to visit exotic and interesting places, but it does mean less relaxation. Huge doesn't mean the best, and that's why there are still smaller ships getting fully booked.:D

I agree, we feel the same, days at sea are valued and I like to know I am on a ship. Have not sailed HAL yet but have only heard positive comments, it is on the Bucket List :). I love being at sea, ports are great as long as there are not too many of them. Just love cruising.

Archived