Master Chef Dinner and offensive boors

SAN415

Joanie,

...We gave it a shot, and did not much care for it, so we have sought other places to eat since then ... We choose to abstain from the MCD,...

Dave

Oh, the wild hyperbole!! The extreme language!!! The almost bulllying tactics (not to be confused with tictacs:rolleyes:)!!!!? Sorry for offending anyone reading this thread :p.

The simple answer is, we do not like the MCD and will avoid it. Not at all sorry if that offends you ... TDB!

Dave

Hoping not to offend anyone, but I've been out on the road (perish the thought, but yes 3400 miles in a land vehicle :eek:) and find it hard to believe that this thread is still at the top of the postings.

Just for my two cents, one more time, it's not a comfortable way to end a cruise for us, this MCD dinner. However, if others enjoy it, more power to them.

Don't know what else to say except the old "different strokes for different strokes" or perhaps "live and let live." And then there is always "you can please all of the people some of the time, but none of the people all of the time."

'scuse me if I've misquoted anyone in my mini-tirade here, but just find it fascinating that folks can get so carried away over a IMHO simple issue.....

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Isn't it interesting how, in general, those who come out in support of the MCD do so in a calm and friendly manner. While those who are against it use hyperbole, extreme language, and almost bullying tactics to get their point across?

It certainly is interesting to me.

Seems to me you say this on every MCD thread....although I really don't find it interesting at all.

I think the reason the MCD is such a "hot button" topic is because it is almost always on the last night of a cruise.

I would like to eat in the dining room on the last night and say a proper goodbye to our servers and wine steward, but I won't do another MCD. I think many others here feel the same way, and that it is even more bothersome to those who wish to share their "last" meal with tablemates that some have grown very fond of.

Just returned from the Westerdam.... Did not enjoy this dinner theme. We did any time dinning and the table of 5 they gave us was at the base of the stairs between the upper and lower dinning room where the staff seemed to assemble in a large mass. Most of the waiters did not seem to be enjoying this. It was a distraction to our last night on board... We bolted as soon as our baked Alaska was served!

Our first HAL cruise did not have this. Our next one did and we wondered why, especially since Carnival does the song and dance routines better. Food was fine but once was enough. So we opted to make a PG reservation for MCD night for our next cruise. Loved it so much that that's our new routine for the MCD night. In fact on our upcoming cruise we've got so many PG dinners scheduled we probably won't even set foot in the MDR except for lunch.

We have only done the MCD once and that was enough. We now go to the Lido so we can enjoy our meal at our pace not that of the song and dance routine.

If you enjoy this that is fine I am just stating "different strokes for different folks"

I've probably missed some of the posts, but I haven't seen any comments regarding the worst part of the MCD, at least for me.

I find the volume of it intolerable. While I admit I've been blessed with good hearing, I think that you'd have to be deaf as a stone not to want them to turn it down. The MC literally screams into the microphone, resulting in a screechy, distorted, feedback ridden cacophony through the dining room PA system. "Let's hear it for..."..."and now another round of applause for...", etc., etc. Maybe we were sitting directly under a speaker or the PA system was malfunctioning, but my ears were ringing when they brought the soup.

Um...does this qualify as "hyperbole, extreme language and bullying"? :rolleyes:

If we are with people who have never cruised on HAL, then we will go to the MCD. As many of you have previously said, we like to end the cruise with a nice quiet dinner and prefer the Canaletto or Pinnacle. I have noticed that several people who posted about their enjoyment of the MCD are not frequent cruisers. We have been fortunate enough to take three cruises a year for the past few years, and find the MCD to be too much (for all the reasons previously given). I have noticed however, that many of the waiters seem to enjoy themselves while they are attempting to both serve and entertain us.

Another vote here for alternative dining arrangements on MCD night. It was one of those experiences that I did once, and didn't feel the need to repeat it the next time around. No offense to those who enjoy it -- Whatever floats your boat (or ship)!

(Hope that wasn't too hyperbolic or extreme.):o

If we are with people who have never cruised on HAL, then we will go to the MCD. I have noticed that several people who posted about their enjoyment of the MCD are not frequent cruisers. We have been fortunate enough to take three cruises a year for the past few years, and find the MCD to be too much (for all the reasons previously given). I have noticed however, that many of the waiters seem to enjoy themselves while they are attempting to both serve and entertain us.

I'm just curious - what is your definition of a frequent cruiser and how do you know that the MCD fans are not frequent cruisers? :confused: Lots of people don't list all their cruises in their signatures. There were several who posted who are quite well known on cc and I do know they cruise often.

Our last three MCD's have been very toned down (to the point that I don't know if you would call one an MCD but it had the same type of menu) and quite nice actually. depends upon the ship and the week apparently.

Like you, if we are travelling with people who have not been on HAL, we always go to the MCD with them. They always seem to enjoy it.

We don't list our cruises. We don't like MCD so we do not attend. HAL provides us with other dining options so this is not a big deal for us. I feel sorry for the staff. I am certain that they are 'directed' to have a good time.

Come on folks, you KNOW whether you're offering a constructive opinion or are just trying to stir the pot. Of a course a post along the lines of "We've tried the MCD and really don't enjoy it, so we choose to dine elsewhere that night," is not hyperbole or over-the-top.

My point was that you don't see supporters of the MCD saying things like, "The MCD is the best dinner I've ever had! And the singing and dancing alone were worth the price of the cruise! Seriously, I don't see how anyone can't absolutely love this amazing experience. You'd have to be a total redneck hick or a nose-in-the-air snob among snobs to not understand and appreciate the grandeur and absolute FUN of this dinner!"

But I do see opponents of the MCD using terms like "tragic", "horrible", "abomination", etc. I guess what I'm saying is that if you have to resort to emotional arguments then perhaps your logic doesn't hold up on its own.

Come on folks, you KNOW whether you're offering a constructive opinion or are just trying to stir the pot. Of a course a post along the lines of "We've tried the MCD and really don't enjoy it, so we choose to dine elsewhere that night," is not hyperbole or over-the-top.

My point was that you don't see supporters of the MCD saying things like, "The MCD is the best dinner I've ever had! And the singing and dancing alone were worth the price of the cruise! Seriously, I don't see how anyone can't absolutely love this amazing experience. You'd have to be a total redneck hick or a nose-in-the-air snob among snobs to not understand and appreciate the grandeur and absolute FUN of this dinner!"

But I do see opponents of the MCD using terms like "tragic", "horrible", "abomination", etc. I guess what I'm saying is that if you have to resort to emotional arguments then perhaps your logic doesn't hold up on its own.

so, folks...if you think the MCD is "horrible", you are emotional and illogical.

We've always gone to the MCD but the most recent one on the Maasdam will be the last. We've done it mainly because that's when we give our dining steward their envelopes...and because I like to support them for being stuck doing this silly affair.

Actually, we did have reservations at the Canaletto that our table mates made, and I encouraged them to cancel and go to the MCD.

Big mistake on my part!

My Mother In law and I were on a cruise and she (and I) were looking forward to the master chefs dinner. Now I know many of us have been away from our parents for a long time so I guess some refresher courses are needed on how to conduct our self in public.

If you don't want to eat at the master chefs dinner, then Do Not eat there. Maybe eat in the buffet? Or order room service?

If you are going to eat at the master chefs dinner then mind your manners. This would mean if you have nothing nice to say then you should have nothing to say. That if you do not like the food just do not eat it. You do not need to let every one with in 50 feet know this. Do not insult the wait staff, or the entertainment they are trying to provide.

When you vent on here, I understand , its your opinion, and I actually like to read opinions of other people. And often a lively opinionated conversation is nice, in the right setting.

Being conceitedly assertive about your views on the faults of the dinner and the staff is just boorish and insensitive to the enjoyment the dinners at your table and others with in hearing distance want to receive from the evening. Your opinions at that time are unwelcome and unpleasant.

I have read through this entire posting 3 times and am still not sure what instigated the original post. Is this perhaps a continuation of a previous thread? If not I am assuming that the OP and mother-in-law experienced an evening with crude diners. Whether at a master chefs dinner or not, rude behavior makes for an unpleasant evening.

That being said, I too prefer not to attend the MCD if possible. In the 80's and 90's, if memory serves me right, the final night had the formal introduction of the chefs and the farewell song followed by the baked Alaska parade. Simple, sweet, and effective.

Most of the new inovations I like but some of the "old ways" are sorely missed.

I have read through this entire posting 3 times and am still not sure what instigated the original post. Is this perhaps a continuation of a previous thread? If not I am assuming that the OP and mother-in-law experienced an evening with crude diners. Whether at a master chefs dinner or not, rude behavior makes for an unpleasant evening.

That being said, I too prefer not to attend the MCD if possible. In the 80's and 90's, if memory serves me right, the final night had the formal introduction of the chefs and the farewell song followed by the baked Alaska parade. Simple, sweet, and effective.

Most of the new inovations I like but some of the "old ways" are sorely missed.

I've always defended the MCD but I have to admit that I much preferred the final night dinner you describe. It was always very well done though still had the limited menu, and I don't like baked Alaska but very much enjoyed the parade.

I'm just curious - what is your definition of a frequent cruiser and how do you know that the MCD fans are not frequent cruisers? :confused: Lots of people don't list all their cruises in their signatures. There were several who posted who are quite well known on cc and I do know they cruise often.

Our last three MCD's have been very toned down (to the point that I don't know if you would call one an MCD but it had the same type of menu) and quite nice actually. depends upon the ship and the week apparently.

Like you, if we are travelling with people who have not been on HAL, we always go to the MCD with them. They always seem to enjoy it.

I have read all 147 posts on this thread as well as many other threads about the MCD. Frequently, posters make comments such as: "two years ago, the last time we cruised...". I know there are many people who cruise far more frquently than we do; I was just emphasizing the point that it is easier to smile and pretend you are enjoying something you haven't experienced in a year or more, than it is to force yourself to sit through something you didn't enjoy three months ago, as well as six months ago.

We find it infinately more pleasureable to skip it altogether-and we see absolutely no reason why we should even bother sitting through it when HAL gives us some great (to our taste) alternatives.

It does not really matter to us if it has changed in the last six months or so or within the last month. Nothing to do with being rude, just a personal preference.

I have read all 147 posts on this thread as well as many other threads about the MCD. Frequently, posters make comments such as: "two years ago, the last time we cruised...". I know there are many people who cruise far more frquently than we do; I was just emphasizing the point that it is easier to smile and pretend you are enjoying something you haven't experienced in a year or more, than it is to force yourself to sit through something you didn't enjoy three months ago, as well as six months ago.

Karen, I wasn't offended nor trying to imply that you were offensive, nor questioning how often you cruise. You had made a general statement and, as i said, I was just curious as to it.

Myself, I haven't noticed the frequent cruisers making statements like 'when we cruise two months ago', but what do I know?

I don't think it makes much difference if you cruise 4 times a year, three, two or even one - you either like it or you don't, or you luck out and get the 'toned down' ones:) and then go again.

In any case, there was no offense taken by your post and none meant by my reply :) Jacqui

Archived