Why are there foreign transaction charges when booking a cruise on Oceania

decodiane

Azamara, here I come.

Are you so sure Azamara is a U.S. company banking in the U.S.? It might pay to check first. If not, you might find yourself faced with that nasty reality again.

I may have been wrong about Canada CC not incurring FX fees. Any of our friends to the north who can provide more detailed info on CC and Bank ATM fees, please do so, as others would benefit greatly I am sure.

See my message above #11

We have never been charged the FTF even with our Canadian USD account when booking Oceania cruises

we have stiff regulations for the banking industry in Canada ;)

Lyn

Not everyone is a frequent cruiser or world traveler. It must be a surprise to many to see these fees for the first time. If someone were on their first cruise where these fees were charged, or if it were their first large charge to a foreign bank it would come as a shock through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. They no doubt would be doubly surprised as they would have thought they were doing business with an American company located in the USA.

I repeat, how difficult would it be for Oceania to have an account at a US Bank in Florida? If the American banks are all in bad shape, then RBC and TD Bank both have Florida subsidiaries and would be happy to help.

I repeat, how difficult would it be for Oceania to have an account at a US Bank in Florida? If the American banks are all in bad shape, then RBC and TD Bank both have Florida subsidiaries and would be happy to help.

Maybe they get a better deal outside North America:confused:

People & businesses are still free to bank where they choose, unless that government is changing that rule also:rolleyes:

People that are affected should be writing & calling their banking institution or government representative

It is gouging by the CC companies

They see the charge in USD but processed through an offshore bank so add the fees as revenge

as I said I have no dog in this fight but some people are misinformed

Lyn

I may have been wrong about Canada CC not incurring FX fees. Any of our friends to the north who can provide more detailed info on CC and Bank ATM fees, please do so, as others would benefit greatly I am sure.

What led me to this realization was another list that I found. While it is US centric, it does provide a little bit of information on Canada and UK CCs.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

I am from Canada and in the last several months have paid my deposit to Oceania through my TA as well as my air deviation and have not been charged any fee of any kind. The only difference is that I pay the exchange rate at the time for that particular charge. I used a BMO Mastercard to make my payments. I also have paid for my pre and post hotels through my TA and no fees were charged. I am about to pay my cruise in full shortly and do not expect a foreign transaction fee. Hope that helps.

Happy Travels,

Tropiclady

I will repeat from my earlier post, it's none of our business who any company, including O, chooses to bank with.

O will provide a refund for fees they did not charge, thereby reducing the amount they obtain for each passenger who requests a refund. They have no way of knowning up front who will be charged, and who will not, so that is simply money off the top for them. I, personally, think that's a pretty generous business practice. They could simply say "it's not our problem, talk to your credit card company."

Look at it this way. O pays the credit card company for allowing us to book with our credit card, and they then pay again when passengers request a refund of CC FTF fees. They could simply require a certified check and avoid all those fees (and all the nasty innuendos on CC every time a new passenger misunderstands, or doesn't read all their documents).

We've all become spoiled by the convenience of CC's, and banks are capitalizing on that dependence by adding fees and charges. I applaud Canada if they have stricter banking rules than we do! Recent U.S. legislation attempted to help the U.S. consumer, but it plugged only a few of the loopholes.

We, individually, have to take responsibility for ourselves, including when dealing with CC companies (and when doing any kind of business, for that matter). Let the CC companies know if you object to their fees. Nothing will change until banks know we have the choice to vote by sending our business elsewhere if they become too abusive.

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine! I'll now descend my soapbox and say no more on this thread.

Oceania is not doing anything with regard to FX fees. CC companies are. That 1/2 million dollars (if everyone has CC that charge this fee) goes to CC companies. FWIW, my CC doesn't charge FX fees.

I noticed you are from Canada, so you have no worries. CC in Canada do not charge FX fees TTBOMK. However, in the US some do.

For those who aren't aware of the fees charged by their CC company, that is your own shortcoming. Yes, it is your fault, not Oceania's or any other vendor for that matter. Now it would be nice if Oceania made it more prominent when making your payments that they use a foreign bank and that you may incur a FX fee from your CC company. It is also nice of them to give an onboard credit to those who complain, something akin to going above and beyond IMO as this is the CC holder's responsibility, not Oceania's. Frankly these people should complain to their CC companies first and get the fee refunded. Sorry if you do not like the answer, but all of us have learned this lesson at some point in time. Yeah, FX fees happened to me once too. It wasn't anybody's fault but my own for not being aware of the fees my card charged. There are a few out there that actually do their own due diligence and avoid these fees by investigating before hand, or perhaps for those who have yet to travel on Oceania, or otherwise deal with foreign transactions, will benefit from this thread and check there CC and ATM cards.

Whether from research or personal experience, if you do a good bit of International travel you are eventually fully aware of these type of fees and avoid them by getting a CC that does not charge them: CapOne CCs, Schwab Visa (also includes 2% cash back, but this card may no longer be available because they outsource it to FIA/BA - FX fee free is grandfathered), and Marriott Rewards Premier Chase Visa (after tomorrow March 31, 2011).

Also beware that many ATM cards charge both ATM and FX fees. Schwab Bank ATM card charges no ATM and no FX fees anywhere.

The cards I quoted above are the ones I use with the exception of CapOne CCs with which I just happen to be aware of.

For a fairly comprehensive list of CC and ATM cards and their fees see the info at this link: http://money.wikia.com/wiki/Foreign_Exchange_fees_on_bank_cards_and_credit_cards

While this info may not help those who have already encountered these fees, it may help some to avoid them in the future.

I am fully aware of foreign transaction fees. However when I'm dealing with a company that is based in the United States and I make a payment in the US...I don't expect my payment by my credit card to be processed in a foreign country. In all my years of travel I've never had this occur. Sure, when outside the US this is expected and understood, but in the US?

Oceania and Regent will either issue you a check or a credit to your credit card if you are charged a foreign transaction fee which is the fair thing to do.

We've always paid Oceania through our TA with AMEX and have never been charged an extra fee. That said, last year we chose an Azamara cruise from Athens to Istanbul--the Azamara Quest. It was our first time on Azamara. The food was really disappointing. We paid to eat in the specialty restaurants after having a few meals in the MDR, which added considerably to the cost of the cruise.

I am fully aware of foreign transaction fees. However when I'm dealing with a company that is based in the United States and I make a payment in the US...I don't expect my payment by my credit card to be processed in a foreign country. In all my years of travel I've never had this occur. Sure, when outside the US this is expected and understood, but in the US?

Oceania and Regent will either issue you a check or a credit to your credit card if you are charged a foreign transaction fee which is the fair thing to do.

Applause !!!

Fortunately people are getting tired of this and this thread :)

I just found out that some Chase Cards are removing all foreign transaction fees (Marriott Rewards Premier, Hyatt, UA MP Club, Continental Presidents Club). Even AMEX is removing the currency conversion charge (2.7%) for Platinum cards..

Here's the most recent link to a site that explains and details the various transaction fees that apply to charge and credit cards (including AMEX). Some of the cards apply these fees on dollar transactions if the originating bank is foreign.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/foreign-exchange-fees-going-up-1267.php

Hi everyone: I've booked a "Black Sea" cruise with O for July 2012. I've a downpayment and have no foreign transaction charges on my Wells Fargo Visa bill.

Senior49:)

The downpayment tends to be deposited in a US bank - it is the final payment that goes through Ireland - not sure why that is, but I don't think anybody has mentioned being charged the foreign bank fee on a downpayment, just the final (and much larger) payment.

The downpayment tends to be deposited in a US bank - it is the final payment that goes through Ireland - not sure why that is, but I don't think anybody has mentioned being charged the foreign bank fee on a downpayment, just the final (and much larger) payment.

The OP said it was on her deposit read message #1

A foreign transaction charge appeared on my Mastercard statement in conjunction with a recent Oceania cruise deposit.

In other threads on the same topic it was also on the deposit

It all depends on the credit card people are using

Now can we close the thread

We always use Capital One when out of the country or making purchases online from non-US companies and have never been charged a fee. Oceania mentions the foreign transaction fee in their fine print, but should make it clear that their bank is not a US bank so that passengers are aware that although they're dealing with an American company, the company chooses to bank outside of the US. Yes, they have a right to bank where they choose, but they have a responsibility to inform their passengers.

We were charged a transaction fee on our Capitol One M/C and when I called for an explanation then complained, they removed the fee. :)

My Mastercard Capital One card has never charged the fee.

I became aware of this on our first Oceania cruise in 2007...DH & I immediately applied for our CapitalOne Cards, two seperate accounts.. Neither of them charge a Foreign Transaction fee..However some CapitalOne cards do charge a FX fee..

It depends on which CapitalOne card you have..Believe only those who have an excellent credit rating can get one which does not charge the fee..

If you apply for a CapitalOne card, be sure to check the CapitalOne WEB site & read the Banks fine print of all their cards..

In addition when you make purchases abroad, DO NOT permit the merchant to convert the local currency into USD for you..Make sure your payment is being made in local currency only...If a merchant converts it, you will be paying a higher amount..Only your "Non FX fee" Credit card company should convert it..I learned my lesson when purchasing pearls in Venezuela..

Cheers...:)Betty

:(Oceania needs to fix this problem. After being charged several hundred dollars on our final payment, my TA called and got an onboard credit, however they are still refusing the

credit for our onboard bill in January. I researched and found that only 2 AX, the platinum and centurion, and Capitol One are fee free. Not wanting the hassle when we get our onboard bill, I applied for a Capitol One. Capitol One has offices in England so no fee is charged. As to why on Oceania and Regent, both owned by parent, Prestige Cruises,

it seems as simple as avoiding higher corporate taxes. Ireland's tax is one third of that in the U.S., so they run payments through a bank in Ireland, and have been doing so for years. If they are unwilling to fix this unfair charge, then they must disclose this to guests.

If they are unwilling to fix this unfair charge, then they must disclose this to guests.

1) Oceania does not charge the fee

2) do people tell you where you can bank?

3) do you mean disclosure like this

Oceania Cruises accepts no responsibility for credit card foreign currency/transaction processing fees independently assessed by issuing banks. None of these fees separately charged by the issuing banks accrues to the benefit of Oceania Cruises. Third party credit card charges can only be accepted when accompanied by valid authorization to charge from the relevant card owner.

1) Oceania does not charge the fee

2) do people tell you where you can bank?

3) do you mean disclosure like this

Oceania Cruises accepts no responsibility for credit card foreign currency/transaction processing fees independently assessed by issuing banks. None of these fees separately charged by the issuing banks accrues to the benefit of Oceania Cruises. Third party credit card charges can only be accepted when accompanied by valid authorization to charge from the relevant card owner.

Keep travelling is quite correct. Americans dealing with an American company in Florida have every right to expect that their credit charges would go through (presumably an American account) without added fees. It doesn't matter that these fees don't accrue to Oceania. What matters is that some of their customers are being unnecessarily charged bank fees through no fault of there own.

Keep travelling is quite correct. Americans dealing with an American company in Florida have every right to expect that their credit charges would go through (presumably an American account) without added fees. It doesn't matter that these fees don't accrue to Oceania. What matters is that some of their customers are being unnecessarily charged bank fees through no fault of there own.

That is true but if you know your credit card charges the fee for Oceania cruises would you not change your card to one that does not ????

If you keeping doing the same same thing expecting it to change ............ ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one to bring it back to the top of the page!

The NY Times had an article this week in the Travel Section regarding credit cards and foreign travel.

The Times is now charging for usage if you are not a subscriber but you are entitled to something like 20 articles before they want you to pay. If you are in that situation, email me and I can send you the article: mura @ speakeasy.net

Here is the link:

Choosing the Best Credit Card

Credit card companies are pitching new travel enticements, from waiving foreign transaction fees that can add up to 3 percent to your purchases abroad to picking up fees for checked baggage.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/travel/24praccredit.html

Archived