Is this outfit formal enough for formal nights?

gaylecool

I am doing some shopping for our upcoming Alaska cruise, and since I've never cruised before, would appreciate feedback as to whether this outfit would meet the formal criteria.

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Uneven-Hem-Tunic.aspx?PfId=58418&DeptId=21875&ProductTypeId=1

I'd dress it up even more with silver heels and bling jewelry.

So, will this work? This is the sort of thing I am comfortable in, and I think it would pack well.

TIA!

I am doing some shopping for our upcoming Alaska cruise, and since I've never cruised before, would appreciate feedback as to whether this outfit would meet the formal criteria.

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Uneven-Hem-Tunic.aspx?PfId=58418&DeptId=21875&ProductTypeId=1

So, will this work? This is the sort of thing I am comfortable in, and I think it would pack well.

TIA!

I don't know about the Alaska cruises- but the 1st formal night is usually long gowns, or black cocktail dresses etc. this outfit would be fine for the second formal night, which is usually a bit less formal. on our cruise this week, I have a long gown for the first night and a black dress for the 2nd night. Just what I have observed on the 3 cruises we have been on....

TIA!

That will be perfectly lovely. Enjoy your cruise!!

I don't know about the Alaska cruises- but the 1st formal night is usually long gowns, or black cocktail dresses etc. this outfit would be fine for the second formal night, which is usually a bit less formal. on our cruise this week, I have a long gown for the first night and a black dress for the 2nd night. Just what I have observed on the 3 cruises we have been on....

I am looking for a dressy gown in a similar knit fabric (packs well), that maybe has some bling at the neckline. I am glad this outfit will work for one of the formal nights however, as I really like it!

I am looking for a dressy gown in a similar knit fabric (packs well), that maybe has some bling at the neckline. I am glad this outfit will work for one of the formal nights however, as I really like it!

Just a note, I wore the same outfit both formal nights, black dress pants and a sheer shirt over a tank. I felt completely comfortable both nights. I think it's fun to have different ones, but I don't dress up enough to make it worth buying two outfits.

Having cruised to Alaska twice on HAL, I've noticed that formal nights are much more "relaxed". I've seen blingy tops worn with nice jeans on formal night, so there was some effort to comply with the suggested dress code, but overall it seemed to be a more dressed down affair.

I love my travel knits which are super easy to pack - they take up very little space and can be dressed up or down with accessories and jewelry.

Don't worry too much about your wardrobe. Based on your choices, you'll be one of the better dressed ladies on your cruise.

Having cruised to Alaska twice on HAL, I've noticed that formal nights are much more "relaxed". I've seen blingy tops worn with nice jeans on formal night, so there was some effort to comply with the suggested dress code, but overall it seemed to be a more dressed down affair.

I love my travel knits which are super easy to pack - they take up very little space and can be dressed up or down with accessories and jewelry.

Don't worry too much about your wardrobe. Based on your choices, you'll be one of the better dressed ladies on your cruise.

Thanks for this VioletHorse! I am thinking that maybe I'll just look for a second dressy top to wear with the tuxedo (sequins up the sides) leggings I bought to go with this silver top.

Two tops, one pair of leggings, and silver shoes, sounds alot easier to pack than a gown!

GayleCool, maybe it's just because they show the model on the beach, but that second one does look kind of "beachy" to me.

Please be prepared, the mods may move this thread over to the "Cruise Fashions & Beauty" board.

Since you like stretchy no wrinkle fabric, and are looking for something for formal night, you *might* want to check out

http://www.buyinamerica.com/

Sizes small to 3X. I bought their "classic shimmering dress", $39 (plus they have an offer for 20% off everything). I'm NOT saying you need a red carpet dress for Alaska. Just thought you might find this website fun.

GayleCool, maybe it's just because they show the model on the beach, but that second one does look kind of "beachy" to me.

Please be prepared, the mods may move this thread over to the "Cruise Fashions & Beauty" board.

Since you like stretchy no wrinkle fabric, and are looking for something for formal night, you *might* want to check out

http://www.buyinamerica.com/

Sizes small to 3X. I bought their "classic shimmering dress", $39 (plus they have an offer for 20% off everything). I'm NOT saying you need a red carpet dress for Alaska. Just thought you might find this website fun.

Oh wow, that site is fantastic! Lots of stuff to choose from, and not expensive! Thanks so much fann1sh!

If the mods move this, that's fine. I didn't realize there was a beauty and fashion board here (and this probably does belong there.)

What about this for a formal?

http://www.casuallivingusa.com/product/MISSES/DRESSES/KNIT-DRESSES/Flutter-Sleeve-Maxi-Dress/65127/sc/7266/c/7116/pc/7340.uts

I have a thing for the fabric being stretch knit, so it packs and doesn't need ironing.

I love this one. The other silver top was great also. Have a wonderful time on your cruise - you'll look lovely!

Thanks for this VioletHorse! I am thinking that maybe I'll just look for a second dressy top to wear with the tuxedo (sequins up the sides) leggings I bought to go with this silver top.

Two tops, one pair of leggings, and silver shoes, sounds alot easier to pack than a gown!

Sounds like a good plan! Easy to pack and not bulky/heavy. I agree with the poster who said that the blue dress looks too casual. (Maybe it is the beach background) But shiny/glittery always works for me!

Check out the inexpensive accessory stores for a silver or beaded evening bag.

I usually take a long black skirt and a couple of beaded tops. If I'm cruising from NYC, I go crazy with dress-up clothes and accessories, but if I have to fly, then I have to restrain myself.

Sounds like a good plan! Easy to pack and not bulky/heavy. I agree with the poster who said that the blue dress looks too casual. (Maybe it is the beach background) But shiny/glittery always works for me!

Check out the inexpensive accessory stores for a silver or beaded evening bag.

I usually take a long black skirt and a couple of beaded tops. If I'm cruising from NYC, I go crazy with dress-up clothes and accessories, but if I have to fly, then I have to restrain myself.

I bought a lovely beaded silver bag on ebay, and also low heeled silver open toe pumps.

I actually have a long black stretch velvet skirt that I could pair with a pretty sequined top. That might also be a good option.

We just got off the Eurodam, anytime dining. My 17 year old son wore the ONLY tux we saw the first formal night except for the staff. On the second formal night, we saw one other tux. Most men wore suits and ties, but there were also many jackets with no tie and younger men just wearing a dress shirt.

Women primarily wore simple dresses or black slacks and a fancy top (my choice for the last five or six cruises I've been on). The slacks/fancy top option was basically "dead center" in terms of how formal women were dressed. The only real gowns we saw were on teenage girls (think prom and dance dresses).

Our reservations were at 7:45 so I don't know about other times or in the fixed dining room.

So, I think your outfit is perfect. Our cruises in the last few years have been in Alaska, the Caribbean, and Europe and it has been the same (in our experience) in each location... not really formal, but everyone looking pretty good.

We just got off the Eurodam, anytime dining. My 17 year old son wore the ONLY tux we saw the first formal night except for the staff. On the second formal night, we saw one other tux. Most men wore suits and ties, but there were also many jackets with no tie and younger men just wearing a dress shirt.

Women primarily wore simple dresses or black slacks and a fancy top (my choice for the last five or six cruises I've been on). The slacks/fancy top option was basically "dead center" in terms of how formal women were dressed. The only real gowns we saw were on teenage girls (think prom and dance dresses).

Our reservations were at 7:45 so I don't know about other times or in the fixed dining room.

So, I think your outfit is perfect. Our cruises in the last few years have been in Alaska, the Caribbean, and Europe and it has been the same (in our experience) in each location... not really formal, but everyone looking pretty good.

Awesome info! We have anytime dining but tend to eat early (between 5 and 6:30). I would guess that at our early time, things might be even less formal.

I think I will pack the long velvet skirt. It's stretch, and doesn't take up much room, and would go with any of the dressy tops I bought. This skirt, along with my sequined leggings ought to cover pretty much any scenario!

Awesome info! We have anytime dining but tend to eat early (between 5 and 6:30). I would guess that at our early time, things might be even less formal.

I think I will pack the long velvet skirt. It's stretch, and doesn't take up much room, and would go with any of the dressy tops I bought. This skirt, along with my sequined leggings ought to cover pretty much any scenario!

With your skirt - you will be absolutey fine :) what counts is that you feel good and look good for you and your partner. Have a wonderful cruise and IMO you have no worries. You just need to look nice & you will :D:D

Don't know when you last cruised on HAL but on our last three-four cruises (two last year & two in 2009) we've observed that gowns seem to be in the minority..And our Alaska cruise was even less formal..

Because of that my DH has decided not to take his TUX any more, & only wear a dark suit..It's sad, but can't fight city hall..

I've noticed that most ladies are now wearing long skirts or dressy chiffon pants with dressy tops that sparkle, like that & lots of bling..

To the OP, your outfit is lovely...You will love Alaska..Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers.....:)Betty

Don't know when you last cruised on HAL but on our last three-four cruises (two last year & two in 2009) we've observed that gowns seem to be in the minority..And our Alaska cruise was even less formal..

Because of that my DH has decided not to take his TUX any more, & only wear a dark suit..It's sad, but can't fight city hall..

I've noticed that most ladies are now wearing long skirts or dressy chiffon pants with dressy tops that sparkle, like that & lots of bling..

To the OP, your outfit is lovely...You will love Alaska..Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers.....:)Betty

True true :(, me and the man are some of the happy hold outs. I wear floor length gowns and he wears his tux. As a home schooling mom of a young child, I so seldom get to "put on the dog" I leap at the chance, plus we look dam good!! ;):D

Archived