Cabin swapping-- Celebrity told me it was okay!

PartyAllDaTyme

How do folks feel if, say, a husband and wife who were both veterans teamed up with a couple who both were non veterans and switched their bookings so both couples got veteran rates?

Personally, I will pay the rate that legitimately applies to me and will not be an accomplice to those who want to do otherwise.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I would think that Celebrity's own Elite benefits are more of a plus than a veteran rate. If Celebrity is fine w/ it what does it really matter? I am sure that Celebrity thinks giving people a taste of these wonderful benefits will have them wanting to sail more w/ Celebrity so they themselves can become Elite.

Surprised to see the speculation about this non-issue still continuing. It has been Celebrity's policy for years that only one person in the cabin needs to qualify for the special rate (senior, military, resident, interline) for it to apply to everyone booked in the same cabin. They make no secret about it.

The marriage requirement only applies to young people under a certain age who want to book a cabin together without needing to have an older person booked into the same cabin. Otherwise, it makes no difference to the cruise line whether or not people are married or related or live at the same address.

I do recall a discussion some time back about charging people a higher price at the pier, but that pertained to a situation where they showed up without proof that either of them qualified for the special rate. It was pointed out at the time that you may or may not be asked to show proof when you check in, but again only one person from the cabin needs to qualify.

As for the discussion of how charges are billed to the onboard accounts, you can set up your account however you wish. Every person booked into the same cabin does not need to use the same account.

You may decide to change your billing method regardless of whether or not you change cabins. In fact, some people set up a cash account initially and end up paying with a credit card, or vice versa. On a cruise last year I set up my own account with one credit card and later switched it to a different one. There was no problem at all doing so. You may have your seapass card charge to one account and your roommate's card to another.

Surprised to see the speculation about this non-issue still continuing. It has been Celebrity's policy for years that only one person in the cabin needs to qualify for the special rate (senior, military, resident, interline) for it to apply to everyone booked in the same cabin. They make no secret about it.

The marriage requirement only applies to young people under a certain age who want to book a cabin together without needing to have an older person booked into the same cabin. Otherwise, it makes no difference to the cruise line whether or not people are married or related or live at the same address.

I do recall a discussion some time back about charging people a higher price at the pier, but that pertained to a situation where they showed up without proof that either of them qualified for the special rate. It was pointed out at the time that you may or may not be asked to show proof when you check in, but again only one person from the cabin needs to qualify.

As for the discussion of how charges are billed to the onboard accounts, you can set up your account however you wish. Every person booked into the same cabin does not need to use the same account.

You may decide to change your billing method regardless of whether or not you change cabins. In fact, some people set up a cash account initially and end up paying with a credit card, or vice versa. On a cruise last year I set up my own account with one credit card and later switched it to a different one. There was no problem at all doing so. You may have your seapass card charge to one account and your roommate's card to another.

THANK YOU : the voice of reason..

You just put this whole discussion in its right perspective.

The extent to which we ( yes, WE, all of us, at times....) go to split hair in four and wind up bald is astounding./...

Cheers

How do folks feel if, say, a husband and wife who were both veterans teamed up with a couple who both were non veterans and switched their bookings so both couples got veteran rates?

Personally, I will pay the rate that legitimately applies to me and will not be an accomplice to those who want to do otherwise.

Do the same moral arguments that we always see on the drink package sharing threads apply here?

Please reread my first post. If the CC agents I spoke with can be believed, Celebrity Cruises not only said this is a legitimate practice, one of them volunteered the idea of taking advantage of this plan of action in order to get a CC upgrade for one of the rooms that otherwise would not have qualified, something I hadn't thought of. Why is it that people who bring soda and water on board with them are not seen as stealing from the cruise line? Because, while you won't find anywhere that they specifically say it's okay, it's generally known that Celebrity has no problem with it. So, based on what I've been told, same here.

One previous post on this topic had some posts deleted and got locked, another was deleted altogether, because it engendered moral arguments and name calling. For that reason, I asked that we leave the moral discussion out of this.

Thanks for the response!

To be clear, the discussion is not merely about how many people are needed in a cabin to qualify for a senior, residency, military, or fire/police discount, but deliberately splitting up the booking between two couples so that both qualify, where if it were booked as "normal", one cabin wouldn't. In our case, I'm talking about booking a cabin with my DFIL, who is over 55, and DW booking a cabin with DMIL, also over 55. If, at any tme, a senior discount can be claimed, we can claim it for both cabins. Obviously, we would prefer to actually travel with me and DW in one room, the in-laws in the other, so we would either get extra cards that only open the "correct" cabin door, or get the SeaPass cards recoded. What I had been told was that they do not recode cards but will be happy to provide extra door key cards-- this, apparently, might be misinformation, which brings into question a bit the veracity of what I had been told.

This has been decried as some as doing something contrary to Celebrity's rules, and references have been made to sharp-eyed pier agents who have insisted that the non-qualifying couple must be made to pay the difference between the discounted rate and the current standard rate for that cabin, which could be much higher, or be denied boarding. Good to see that your recollection was, if this is the same incident that dkjretired was referring to, that was related to lack of proof that anyone qualified for the discount, as I thought it might. Others have raised moral issues with this, taking the position that it's defrauding X, since we do not intend to travel as we have been booked. I myself had come down on the side that it would be the wrong thing to do, until I called CC and was told that this was not only an accepted practice but a darn good idea.

In the previous threads on this topic, and up until now on this one, no veteran X cruisers had jumped in to say that this is a non-issue, settled long ago. It certainly wasn't clear in my mind, and the purpose of these boards is the exchange of such information. I figured I was doing everyone a service by reporting that this practice, which I have referred to as Musical Cabins, is (apparently) a legitimate way to save money-- think I'll go over now to the "Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice" forum. Well, maybe I'll wait until I actually successfully do it.

Despite all, I'm still not 100% convinced that dkjretired is not correct, given the stories of how Celebrity agents said one thing, reality was another. His motivation was to caution people that, as he understands it, they could be in for a financial loss, and I thank him for speaking up. I've seen quite a few posts now like Tiggertastic's, with switching teens around-- anyone else with information about taking advantage of Musical Cabins to get a discounted fare, please add your experience.

Thanks for the response!

To be clear, the discussion is not merely about how many people are needed in a cabin to qualify for a senior, residency, military, or fire/police discount, but deliberately splitting up the booking between two couples so that both qualify, where if it were booked as "normal", one cabin wouldn't. In our case, I'm talking about booking a cabin with my DFIL, who is over 55, and DW booking a cabin with DMIL, also over 55. If, at any tme, a senior discount can be claimed, we can claim it for both cabins. Obviously, we would prefer to actually travel with me and DW in one room, the in-laws in the other, so we would either get extra cards that only open the "correct" cabin door, or get the SeaPass cards recoded. What I had been told was that they do not recode cards but will be happy to provide extra door key cards-- this, apparently, might be misinformation, which brings into question a bit the veracity of what I had been told.

This has been decried as some as doing something contrary to Celebrity's rules, and references have been made to sharp-eyed pier agents who have insisted that the non-qualifying couple must be made to pay the difference between the discounted rate and the current standard rate for that cabin, which could be much higher, or be denied boarding. Good to see that your recollection was, if this is the same incident that dkjretired was referring to, that was related to lack of proof that anyone qualified for the discount, as I thought it might. Others have raised moral issues with this, taking the position that it's defrauding X, since we do not intend to travel as we have been booked. I myself had come down on the side that it would be the wrong thing to do, until I called CC and was told that this was not only an accepted practice but a darn good idea.

In the previous threads on this topic, and up until now on this one, no veteran X cruisers had jumped in to say that this is a non-issue, settled long ago. It certainly wasn't clear in my mind, and the purpose of these boards is the exchange of such information. I figured I was doing everyone a service by reporting that this practice, which I have referred to as Musical Cabins, is (apparently) a legitimate way to save money-- think I'll go over now to the "Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice" forum. Well, maybe I'll wait until I actually successfully do it.

Despite all, I'm still not 100% convinced that dkjretired is not correct, given the stories of how Celebrity agents said one thing, reality was another. His motivation was to caution people that, as he understands it, they could be in for a financial loss, and I thank him for speaking up. I've seen quite a few posts now like Tiggertastic's, with switching teens around-- anyone else with information about taking advantage of Musical Cabins to get a discounted fare, please add your experience.

The incident I was referring to was not the one alluded to in the above post. There were several threads on this over the years. It used to be their policy that this was not allowed but I think the explanation that they want to sell both cabins makes a lot of sense especially with the economy so bad.

Every year we book an adult and child in one cabin and the same in another then swap - as you can't have 2 teens in a room when you book

We go to reception and they give us extra key cards for each room

It's not done for discount but to get round the restriction that says they have to be accompanied

We swap and our son moves in with a friends son

We go to the desk the day before the cruise ends and get the bill. Tot up his costs and pay it on our credit card leaving the balance for the other teen to be paid from the registered card and we do it each year without a problem

I presume there is a security reason for the rule...diff than saving money for customers!

I presume there is a security reason for the rule...diff than saving money for customers!

I've found that to be curious, as well. Why have a rule stating that one adult must be in the cabin, then allow it to be circumvented? I can certainly see liability issues if two four-year-olds were allowed to occupy a cabin unsupervised (can you say balcony railing jungle gym?), and don't see where, from a legal standpoint, those concerns would go away for two seventeen-year-olds.

I suppose they realize that if people want to travel that way, adults in one cabin, teens in the other, they'll do it anyway. But I'm a bit surprised that they would do anything to facilitate this. It wasn't a consideration for my situation, but is an interesting side topic.

I've found that to be curious, as well. Why have a rule stating that one adult must be in the cabin, then allow it to be circumvented? I can certainly see liability issues if two four-year-olds were allowed to occupy a cabin unsupervised (can you say balcony railing jungle gym?), and don't see where, from a legal standpoint, those concerns would go away for two seventeen-year-olds.

I suppose they realize that if people want to travel that way, adults in one cabin, teens in the other, they'll do it anyway. But I'm a bit surprised that they would do anything to facilitate this. It wasn't a consideration for my situation, but is an interesting side topic.

The rule wasn't circumvented, . I traveled with my kids all the time and the rule had always been the children could be in the cabin by themselves as long as it was adjacent to the parents. Now they have changed it to connecting cabins which actually could be open to a little interpretation. ie: the setup on Solstice ships where the outside doors close could be considered connecting cabins..

Heres the policy:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Age+Requirements&faqId=378&pagename=faq_answers

The rule wasn't circumvented, . I traveled with my kids all the time and the rule had always been the children could be in the cabin by themselves as long as it was adjacent to the parents. Now they have changed it to connecting cabins which actually could be open to a little interpretation. ie: the setup on Solstice ships where the outside doors close could be considered connecting cabins..

Heres the policy:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Age+Requirements&faqId=378&pagename=faq_answers

I'm curious-- what's the reason for not just booking the kids in one cabin and letting them just use their SeaPass cards as door keys, then? Why would Tiggertastic have needed to get extra cards? If it's because the cabins were not adjacent, why would Celebrity have then allowed it?

I'm curious-- what's the reason for not just booking the kids in one cabin and letting them just use their SeaPass cards as door keys, then? Why would Tiggertastic have needed to get extra cards? If it's because the cabins were not adjacent, why would Celebrity have then allowed it?

If you read his/her post, apparently they or their TA don't know what Celebrity's policy is as they are booking it that way when it is not necessary. I know what Celebrity's policy has been since the early 90s when we first started cruising with them with our children.

Every year we book an adult and child in one cabin and the same in another then swap - as you can't have 2 teens in a room when you book

It's not done for discount but to get round the restriction that says they have to be accompanied

We go to the desk the day before the cruise ends and get the bill. Tot up his costs and pay it on our credit card leaving the balance for the other teen to be paid from the registered card and we do it each year without a problem

This isn't necessary as Celebrity allows teens to be booked in their own cabin. We have done it multiple times.

Hopefully, I am not adding confusion to this discussion; however, it is possible to have people in the same room charged to different credit cards. On occasion, we have had three cabins when traveling with family. Since the grandchildren cannot 'officially' be in a room alone, we just connect the people as needed in the various cabins to the appropriate credit card on the online check-in. It was a little confusing the first time I did this, but am able to breeze through the screens now.

This isn't necessary as Celebrity allows teens to be booked in their own cabin. We have done it multiple times.

Yup, as I said in an earlier post, have been doing it since the early 90s with our kids. I think some cruise lines don't allow it and people do not know of Celebrity's policy.

We have 5 rooms booked with at least a Mom and a daughter in each room(two rooms have a third person). Plan is that once on board the girls (six 18 year olds) will bunk together in two inside rooms while four Mom's get two of the balcony rooms. It occured to me though that it might be a mess with people needing keys to rooms that they are not booked in to. This is exactly the info I needed. Yeah! I didn't know you could get extra keys that do not have a credit card attached. Love cruisecritic. Always able to find an answer out there.

If you read his/her post, apparently they or their TA don't know what Celebrity's policy is as they are booking it that way when it is not necessary. I know what Celebrity's policy has been since the early 90s when we first started cruising with them with our children.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Thanks for the response!

PartyAllDaTyme, I don't mean to sound harsh or uncaring, but honestly I could not care less whether you book a cabin with your DFIL, DMIL, your accountant, dentist, dry cleaner, or anyone else.

I figure that your cabin arrangements are none of my business. All that should matter is whether or not they are acceptable to you, the other parties involved, and the cruise line.

You have already received the answer from Celebrity that you would not be doing anything contrary to Celebrity's rules, but as you still appear to be unconvinced, you may want to contact them again to get corroborating confirmation from someone else at the company.

Speaking only from personal experience, in all the years we have been cruising on multiple cruise lines with and without adult family or friends, and using different types of discount rates at different times, none of us has ever been asked anything about our relationships or who lives with whom. They just process the documents, hand us our room key cards, and wish us a wonderful cruise.

If there are any people on Cruise Critic who have ever actually had a personal encounter with a mysterious sharp-eyed pier agent who demanded more money because only one person in their cabin qualified for the discount, I certainly hope they post the details, (not just an anecdotal story about something they heard happened to someone else).

PartyAllDaTyme, I don't mean to sound harsh or uncaring, but honestly I could not care less whether you book a cabin with your DFIL, DMIL, your accountant, dentist, dry cleaner, or anyone else.

I figure that your cabin arrangements are none of my business. All that should matter is whether or not they are acceptable to you, the other parties involved, and the cruise line.

You have already received the answer from Celebrity that you would not be doing anything contrary to Celebrity's rules, but as you still appear to be unconvinced, you may want to contact them again to get corroborating confirmation from someone else at the company.

Speaking only from personal experience, in all the years we have been cruising on multiple cruise lines with and without adult family or friends, and using different types of discount rates at different times, none of us has ever been asked anything about our relationships or who lives with whom. They just process the documents, hand us our room key cards, and wish us a wonderful cruise.

If there are any people on Cruise Critic who have ever actually had a personal encounter with a mysterious sharp-eyed pier agent who demanded more money because only one person in their cabin qualified for the discount, I certainly hope they post the details, (not just an anecdotal story about something they heard happened to someone else).

No worries, I didn't take exception to what you said, and don't care what others think of who we're cruising with, or the sleeping arrangements. And thanks for taking the time to respond, again.

I've received my answer, but know enough from what I've read on the boards that it's not a slam dunk that the information from a Celebrity agent (or even any two) is accurate. I plan on asking yet again when I book this week, and will ask for some sort of written confirmation, if possible, just in case. I'm still waiting to hear from someone that they were able to get a discount for two cabins by splitting the booking, then having each couple actually stay with each other, rather than as they were booked, with Celebrity's full knowledge. If this is so common, why have I never heard of it before, and why is no one coming forward to say they've done it?

If you're under the impression that my issue is having only one person in the cabin who qualifies, I'm well aware that this is not a problem. In fact, it's what I'm counting on. It's having zero people who qualify actually traveling in one of the cabins that had me concerned. Comments from others on this and other threads led me to think that it's commonly believed that my little game of Musical Cabins is not something that Celebrity would be okay with. After all, if X doesn't approve of drink package sharing, why would they be okay with this? I'm just trying to spread the word for anyone who assumed, like I did, that this would be something Celebrity would frown on, that apparently it's okay. Apparently.

.........................If you're under the impression that my issue is having only one person in the cabin who qualifies, I'm well aware that this is not a problem. In fact, it's what I'm counting on. It's having zero people who qualify actually traveling in one of the cabins that had me concerned. Comments from others on this and other threads led me to think that it's commonly believed that my little game of Musical Cabins is not something that Celebrity would be okay with. After all, if X doesn't approve of drink package sharing, why would they be okay with this? I'm just trying to spread the word for anyone who assumed, like I did, that this would be something Celebrity would frown on, that apparently it's okay. Apparently.
Guess I still don't understand why you would continue to worry about this. Nobody from the staff goes around checking to see who is sleeping where. They have no reason to care one way or another, unless someone sleeping in a different cabin causes a disturbance or creates additional work or complications for them.

What Celebrity cares about is that the cabin is booked and paid for legally in accordance with their rules, having one person booked in each cabin who qualifies for the discount.

It is different from drink package sharing, which deprives them of additional revenue. If others are allowed to share a drink package, they will not keep paying more money to buy additional drinks. Drinks are consumable products.

Once a cabin is booked, the cruise line derives no additional cabin revenue from those passengers until they book another cruise. They will not receive any more money or any less money if some passengers decide among themselves to play "Musical Cabins" (as you call it) after they are on board.

I can understand your concern that they might frown on it though if the passengers involved caused trouble or extra work for them.

Rather than the drink package analogy, I see it more like the situation where they require an adult of a certain age to be booked with a minor but don't care if they switch rooms once on board as long as they do not create any problems.

Guess I still don't understand why you would continue to worry about this. Nobody from the staff goes around checking to see who is sleeping where. They have no reason to care one way or another, unless someone sleeping in a different cabin causes a disturbance or creates additional work or complications for them.

What Celebrity cares about is that the cabin is booked and paid for legally in accordance with their rules, having one person booked in each cabin who qualifies for the discount.

It is different from drink package sharing, which deprives them of additional revenue. If others are allowed to share a drink package, they will not keep paying more money to buy additional drinks. Drinks are consumable products.

Once a cabin is booked, the cruise line derives no additional cabin revenue from those passengers until they book another cruise. They will not receive any more money or any less money if some passengers decide among themselves to play "Musical Cabins" (as you call it) after they are on board.

I can understand your concern that they might frown on it though if the passengers involved caused trouble or extra work for them.

Rather than the drink package analogy, I see it more like the situation where they require an adult of a certain age to be booked with a minor but don't care if they switch rooms once on board as long as they do not create any problems.

They used to do it and it was on this board with first hand experience, exactly the same situation as the person who originally brought it up. Its just so old that I probable couldn't find it nor do I have the inclination to do so since it appears now to be a change of policy. They would under those circumstance gain more money contrary to what you contend.

Let's see if I can make this clear--

Say we book cabins the conventional way, DW and me in one, DMIL and DFIL in the other. We pay $1000pp for each cabin. Prior to final payment, I notice that, due to a senior discount, we can claim a lower price of $900pp, but only for their cabin. Net price paid to Celebrity-- $3800.

If, however, we book DFIL and me in one cabin, DW and DMIL in the other, we can claim senior discounts for both cabins. Net price paid to Celebrity-- $3600. I believe they might just see this as "depriving them of additional revenue", since $3600 is in fact less than $3800.

So, since we do not plan to actually travel this way, the concern was (and still is, to a small extent) that Celebrity would see this as an attempt to deprive them of money that they would otherwise have coming to them. If you book passage, might that be seen as saying that those people intend to travel in that particular cabin? Might doing otherwise with the intention of having to pay less money possibly be seen as committing fraud? Is doing this "legally in accordance with their rules"? This would sum up the concern.

Yes, we could choose to just switch cabins without publicizing it, but if there's some risk associated with doing so openly, there's something inherently wrong with doing so.

I don't think I can make it clearer. I appreciate that you're trying to reassure me that all is well, and I'm not terribly worried that we face dire consequences should we proceed with the plan. But it would be irresponsible of me to proclaim that, without a doubt, I'm certain that anyone who attempts this booking strategy will have no problems whatsoever. I just want to leave that caveat out there that this is all based on what two Celebrity agents have told me, and we all know they never give out incorrect information, do they?:rolleyes:

Let's see if I can make this clear--

Say we book cabins the conventional way, DW and me in one, DMIL and DFIL in the other. We pay $1000pp for each cabin. Prior to final payment, I notice that, due to a senior discount, we can claim a lower price of $900pp, but only for their cabin. Net price paid to Celebrity-- $3800.

If, however, we book DFIL and me in one cabin, DW and DMIL in the other, we can claim senior discounts for both cabins. Net price paid to Celebrity-- $3600. I believe they might just see this as "depriving them of additional revenue", since $3600 is in fact less than $3800.

So, since we do not plan to actually travel this way, the concern was (and still is, to a small extent) that Celebrity would see this as an attempt to deprive them of money that they would otherwise have coming to them. If you book passage, might that be seen as saying that those people intend to travel in that particular cabin? Might doing otherwise with the intention of having to pay less money possibly be seen as committing fraud? Is doing this "legally in accordance with their rules"? This would sum up the concern.

Yes, we could choose to just switch cabins without publicizing it, but if there's some risk associated with doing so openly, there's something inherently wrong with doing so.

I don't think I can make it clearer. I appreciate that you're trying to reassure me that all is well, and I'm not terribly worried that we face dire consequences should we proceed with the plan. But it would be irresponsible of me to proclaim that, without a doubt, I'm certain that anyone who attempts this booking strategy will have no problems whatsoever. I just want to leave that caveat out there that this is all based on what two Celebrity agents have told me, and we all know they never give out incorrect information, do they?:rolleyes:

Yes, you have made it very clear.

For me since Celebrity does not appear to have any written policy that prevents people from changing cabins once on board, I cannot see how it would ever be a problem once on board. Celebrity have written policies about many things, so if Celebrity wished they could easily add it and they have not. Of course I could see that it would be a problem if the switch was done before one was on board because the price for the cabin would technically be different especially if the switch was before the final payment.

I am confident, but of course you are the one that needs to be confident. Have a great cruise whatever you do.

Glad to see that there is now another thread on Cruise Critic confirming what most have been saying here all along.

PartyAllDaTyme, hopefully the additional assurance that swapping cabins is not an issue will help to put your mind at ease about the matter. Although unfortunate that some previous comments may have caused unnecessary concerns, it is commendable that you were so conscientious about wanting to get things right.

Enjoy your cruise, whichever way you decide to book it.

Booked it today, guys in one, gals in the other, I made it crystal clear we would be switching cabins once on board. Celebrity rep said, "You want to take advantage of one senior person booked in each cabin so you would qualify for any senior discount for both cabins, right?" Right. Asked him if he could send me something in writing confirming this was okay, he said no, but he would note it on our booking.

I still have not seen a solitary example reported of someone booking on X, splitting the booking, telling X that the reason they're doing it is to get promotional pricing for both rooms, and not having a problem during the cruise. Well, we'll find out in a mere 498 days, assuming a senior discount is even offered!

Archived