Advise on Trains in USA needed

travelberlin

Hi you all, we are planning to take a cruise from San Diego. Instead of flying from Miami to San Diego, we are thinking to travel by train. It takes many days but it seems interesting and a good way to get to know some other places in USA. The Route appears to be Miami-Washington-Chicago-Los Angeles-San Diego.

In Europe to travel by train is a wonderful experience. How about in USA? Can anybody share experiences wit us? We are considering in booking a room in the trains.

Thanks

train travel in the US is not like train travel you are used to. I've traveled by AMTRAK a couple of times in the past 10 years and did it not because I'm afraid to fly but because certain 'enticements' made it an option worth considering. That in mind I can say that I would NOT book the trip you have outlined here. Well maybe if I were going to stop for a day or so at each leg city and explore and if the price were really really good versus flying.

Or in other words is a cross country train trip a good way to see America?

Like JinDC I just don't like sitting that long and even with a compartment on the train and my brought along libations (something you certainly can't do flying) that would be a trip that's just too much. So far as my remark about EU trains vs the US - in my experience the vast majority of the scenery on US trains is of a poorly maintained railroad right of way, passing thru the run down parts of towns. There is occasionally nice scenery but I stress OCCASIONALLY. For the most part I passed the time on the train the same way I would on a plane - some music from my player and a good book or 4 (piece of quiet and privacy due to a compartment vs general seating.) Out the window was overgrown weeds and trees and falling down old telephone poles and wires.

Just one person's opinion tho so take it at that. But if others reply I'd measure their response against one factor - are they willing to fly? If not, praise of train travel is justification for their phobia..... If you do the trip and love it .. let me know, I just might try it!

First of all I do like to fly and I also like taking the train. The main difference you will encounter is that Amtrak is not as efficient as the train systems in Europe. This is not to say that travelling by Amtrak should be avoided but you need to be prepared for delays in certain parts of the country and the other thing is the trains here do not travel as fast as the ones in Europe except for the Acela Express trains that run between Washington, D.C. and Boston. If your goal is to see alot of the USA this trip might work for you as long as you build the time into the trip so as not to miss your cruise. As mentioned previously the route you explained is not the most direct route to San Diego and will take many days especially if you stop to tour a city on the route. I find travel on Amtrak to be relaxing and stress free, so good luck and I hope whatever you decide works well for you.

Hi you all, we are planning to take a cruise from San Diego. Instead of flying from Miami to San Diego, we are thinking to travel by train. It takes many days but it seems interesting and a good way to get to know some other places in USA. The Route appears to be Miami-Washington-Chicago-Los Angeles-San Diego.

In Europe to travel by train is a wonderful experience. How about in USA? Can anybody share experiences wit us? We are considering in booking a room in the trains.

Thanks

If you have the time it is a great way to see the USA!

Hello again. One other piece of info is that the accomodations can vary depending on the train. Not all Amtrak trains have rooms. Any train that is listed as a regional train will only have coach and business class seating. Regional trains also make stops in all cities on the line which increases travel time. Trains that are considered long distance will usually have cars with rooms or roomettes which are perfect for overnights. You should be able to check Amtrak's website with the info on the trains, routes, and accomodations available for each train. Enjoy!

Thanks

Don't forget to ask Amtrak about the rail to cruise discount. I am not sure if you can get it for all the legs of your journey (if you stop for day or two) but your should be able to get it for the last segment.... 20% off ticket price and 15% room price... Different codes for different cruise lines and you have to call to get the discount since the online program will not accept the codes. http://www.retailmenot.com/view/amtrak.com or http://www.global-rail-support.com/products-promotions.htm

I travel by train when I can and I love it.

Couple of notes:

Time schedules are not like they are in Europe. In the States, the time schedule is almost a suggestion. Not really that bad, but don't plan on it exactly.

If you get a sleeper (highly recommended) then meals are free in the dining car. The people in the sleepers will also have a special car designated to them for relaxation and site seeing. They usually have wine and cheese gatherings, movies, etc,etc.

Don't forget to ask Amtrak about the rail to cruise discount. I am not sure if you can get it for all the legs of your journey (if you stop for day or two) but your should be able to get it for the last segment.... 20% off ticket price and 15% room price... Different codes for different cruise lines and you have to call to get the discount since the online program will not accept the codes. http://www.retailmenot.com/view/amtrak.com or http://www.global-rail-support.com/products-promotions.htm

Thank you for this info. I will check if it is possible to get a discount.

we are very excited about this trip. Yes we will take a sleeper and we will stay some days in all cities. Time is not much of an issue since we are retired.

Thank you for this info. I will check if it is possible to get a discount.

we are very excited about this trip. Yes we will take a sleeper and we will stay some days in all cities. Time is not much of an issue since we are retired.

If you need more city information use tripadvisor.com. It is a sister site to Cruise Critic.

Our train system is very sad. Most run late, can be dirty on long runs, with either lousy food or none at all. Nothing like your beautiful European train system. Love your Ice Train. Train West from Denver,Colorado has a beautiful route though. Just do not want you disappointed.

Our train system is very sad. Most run late, can be dirty on long runs, with either lousy food or none at all. Nothing like your beautiful European train system. Love your Ice Train. Train West from Denver,Colorado has a beautiful route though. Just do not want you disappointed.

Oh that is sad! Is there nobody to take care that the train remains reasonably clean? Have you traveled the route Chicago-San Francisco? I was wondering what type of passengers take such a train. It is a long route and it is not really cheap...

Did it in compartment with parents, maybe 1944. Cannot remember name; Sunset Limited? Our government decided after WW2 to build a Super highway system, not funding a train system. So we all drove, then flew. I guess the most beautiful scenery starts Denver going West. Chicago to Denver mostly flat farmland. I used to Take Denver train going West when planes down. Usually late, often needed cleaning.

I'll take the other route.

I have no idea what zon is talking about. Then again, I've only been on the overnight from Chicago to Seattle and then the Seattle to Los Angeles. The crew was helpful and professional. The trains were clean, and the attendants were always on top of things.

The meals were just fine. Were they 5 star perfect? No. Were they much better than cold sandwiches or fast food stuff? Yes. Were they better than airline hot meals? Yes.

Also note that the seating in the dining car most closely resembled my experience in Europe. Seating is limited. You will be seated along with other passengers.

What other route?

You correctly identified the most direct available route:

Miami-Washington: Silver Service train (either Silver Meteor or Silver Star).

Washington-Chicago: Capitol Limited

Chicago-Los Angels: Soutwest Chief

Los Angeles-San Diego: One of the Pacific Surfliners

Note the Southwest Chief does not go via Denver, but via Albuquerque, NM. However, it does go through the New Mexico mountains and is quite scenic. The best is the the second day from Trinidad, CO on.

The Capitol Limited is also pretty scenic coming through the Alleghenies.

While I'd agree that the backyard/industrial/abandoned car (and "tree tunnel") scenary on most East Coast trains is fairly accurate, it is a entirely different matter in the West.

All the trains except the Pacific Surfliners are overnight trains with sleeping accomodations, diners and lounges. The Pacific Surfliner is only about 2 1/2 hours, LA to San Diego and has lounge facilities and business class seating, if desired.

Any other routes will take at least a day longer, and may involve an overnight stay. For example, if you chose to do the California Zephyr, arrive in the San Francisco Bay Area early evening, the leave the next morning on the Coast Starlight to Los Angeles. There is an option to take a train/bus combination to San Diego the same day, but that gets you into San Diego at like 3:00 am, and involves a long bus ride.

I travel by train when I can and I love it.

Couple of notes:

Time schedules are not like they are in Europe. In the States, the time schedule is almost a suggestion. Not really that bad, but don't plan on it exactly.

If you get a sleeper (highly recommended) then meals are free in the dining car. The people in the sleepers will also have a special car designated to them for relaxation and site seeing. They usually have wine and cheese gatherings, movies, etc,etc.

Only the Coast Starlight, Seattle-Los Angeles, has a dedicated lounge("Pacific Parlour Car", with the movies, wine and cheese tasting, etc) for sleeping car passengers in addition to the regular lounge car. No other long distance train has that, just the regular lounge open to all passengers. The OP isn't planning to take the Starlight, unless they do a different itinerary than Miami-Washington-Chicago-LA-San Diego.

How about in USA? Can anybody share experiences wit us? We are considering in booking a room in the trains.

Thanks

I have actually gone from Boston to Chicago to Los Angeles (the southern route on the way out - The Super Chief and the northern route back The California Zepher). It is boring after a while. Cafeteria style food that can be overpriced. I do enjoy train riding but this trip is too long and for most of it, too boring. I have also done the Miami to Washington trip numerous times and I'll agree that there are many delays so build that into your schedule.

Archived