Disappointing Hawaii Cruise on Zaandam

Sag13

The Zaandam is an old ship badly in need of refurbishing. I could have handled that, but the ship lost an engine on our way to Hilo. We were told that the ship would have to slow down so we would not arrive in Hilo till 1p.m instead of 8a.m. We then cancelled our tour since it was a five hour morning tour. We were later told that we would not be going to Kaui because of high winds. Thus, we would stay in Hilo overnight. We re-booked our tour. That Friday, the rain was so bad that we could not get off the bus to see the Akaka Falls.

We missed a port and were really shortchanged in Hilo since there is nothing to do ashore at night. I asked if we would receive any compensation for this. I was told at the front desk that none was coming. This was our third HAL cruise, but I doubt if we will sail them again. Princess treats their past passengers much better. The prices that HAL charges for a superior cruiseline are not worth it. Give me Princess anytime.

Sorry the cruise didn't live up to your expectations. It's always a disappointment when things go wrong. Was that great port lecturer still onboard - I forget his name - started with a K. We thought he was fabulous.

On our cruise in Oct we had someone teaching painting classes everyday. Tons of fun.

You missed the very best thing to do in Hilo after dark - a drive to the lava viewpoint. Between seeing the glowing lava and the amazing stars it was just magical.

Princess treats their past passengers much better. Give me Princess anytime.

This is quite obvious in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1382951

Things happen sometimes outside of the cruise lines control. It is unfortunate you had a bad experience. There are things to do in Hilo at night other than stay on the ship.

Yes, the Hawaiian port lecturer was good. He was also very helpful as we disembarked at each port. It wasn't so funny though when he was giving a port talk on the beautiful garden isle of Kaui and he was interrupted with the announcement that we probably weren't going there. He just continued with his talk.

We had no painting classes on board. The emphasis was on culinary arts, computers, and the spa. I expected more activities since we had eight sea days. I love sea days, but with the rolling ship, a closed swimming pool, and the cool air, there was not much deck time. They needed more activities.

That you hit Hawaii during a rare series of bad weather.. this year has been very weird. not the norm

Comparing Hollands 1200 passenger ship to a 3000 passenger ship I think is not totaly easy to do. The pleasure of less people to many is far better than being on a vastly larger ship. And bigger ships can offer more things, but at a price of a less private affair. I choose Holland over the others because I do not want to be on a floating resort.. I want to be entertainign myself .:rolleyes:

Kauai frequently gets shut out because of its tiny and exposed Harbor. and sometimes Kona. Safety being the issure.

Have experienced a ship with mechanical problems -- it isn't a lot of fun. If that cruise with all the mechanical issues (along with a lot of other issues) had been our only HAL cruise , we would not have tried HAL again.

People we know did the 11 day Zaandam to Mexican Pacific ports in February and were very disappointed with it, despite having enjoyed the 10-day Sea of Cortez just prior. They say they won't be back on HAL either, given their experience on the 11-day cruise.

Lots of stuff is out of the cruiseline's control, e.g., the weather and the seas, so that has to be put down to "ship happens". How the crew responds to the "ship happens" stuff can definitely influence your overall opinion of the cruise, though.

What a shame you didn't enjoy your cruise. I know how disappointing it is to miss a port, but unfortuantely that can happen any time on any ship. It tends to happen more in certain ports - like yours and the Falkland Islands.

Cow Princess is right - it's how the crew reacts that can make a difference.

enjoy your next cruise on whatever cruise line you choose :)

This was on the March 13 cruise. We returned on March 27.

Oh they left on the very next cruise. I can't wait to hear about their cruise. I'm sooooSorry about yours. We just took the Hawaii cruise March 2-16 on Golden Princess and it was beautiful. I hope this doesn't discourage you from cruising.

It sounds like bad luck was lined up against you on this cruise. We've had engine problems before on a few cruises on a variety of cruise lines and we've also had rough conditions on a Hawaii cruise that caused us to spend an extra day in Hilo while missing two ports so I know how frustrating it can be. BTW, the extended Hilo stay was on Princess and it happened over New Year's Eve so we got to view how the locals celebrate the occasion. We've done circle Hawaii cruises on both HAL and Princess and we think that HAL is better equipped for the cool sea days due to the ability to close the roof over the midships pool. Even when rough condition make the pool unusable at least there is more deck space to spread out the passengers. I certainly agree that the past passenger perks are better on Princess.

................... Was that great port lecturer still onboard - I forget his name - started with a K. We thought he was fabulous.

Kainoa Dela Cruz; outstanding knowledge of anything having to do with Polynesian culture and history. He gives lectures on all sea days on that itinerary

We were also on the March 13th cruise. I agree we didn't have the best of weather, the ship had engine problems, missed Kauai, it poured down rain in Hilo went to the volcano and no lava to been seen day or night. BUT.....I had a fantastic cruise. Met so many wonderful people, had time to relax and read. Went to a couple of culinary classes. DH went to the port lectures, and internet classes, we played trivia and of course ate lots of very good food. Will agree the Zaandam could use a makeover, but it wasn't anything bad enough to write HAL off my books. Also must say we had a marvelous time in Maui and Honolulu. Some people only see the lemons, me? personally I make some great lemonade.

It's really unfortunate that everything happened on one cruise.

We agree that there needs to be more small venue activities, and we always sail in April, and have much better weather.

Our last one was on Zaandam, and we liked that ship. We sailed under code red, and we knew that before we boarded. Good cruise. Kainoa is really funny too.

Our first one was on Statendam, and we also missed ports due to medical evacuations--2 on one cruise. Yes, we were annoyed because the guy's Dr. had advised him to stay home.

I was also on CCL Splendor's swine flu cruise to nowhere. Stuff just happens.

Good luck finding your cruise match. One person's favorite may not be anothers. We love HAL.

Pat

Kainoa Dela Cruz; outstanding knowledge of anything having to do with Polynesian culture and history. He gives lectures on all sea days on that itinerary

Do you know of any other fantastic lecturers aboard the HAL ships. We enjoyed John Splettstoesser and Robert Hoffman on the Prinsendam Antarctic voyage on the Prinsendam.

We have been on three ships with Warren Salinger. We would enjoy listening to someone new.

The lectures and talks are the main activities that we enjoy. We wish that they had more.

Do you know of any other fantastic lecturers aboard the HAL ships. We enjoyed John Splettstoesser and Robert Hoffman on the Prinsendam Antarctic voyage on the Prinsendam.

We have been on three ships with Warren Salinger. We would enjoy listening to someone new.

The lectures and talks are the main activities that we enjoy. We wish that they had more.

Frank Buckingham, a long-time HAL port lecturer, is one of the best! You'll find him a lot on Prinsendam but he's also been on Rotterdam. Can't miss him in his green blazer!;)

Frank Buckingham, a long-time HAL port lecturer, is one of the best! You'll find him a lot on Prinsendam but he's also been on Rotterdam. Can't miss him in his green blazer!;)

You are right about Frank Buckingham, he is a walking talking encyclopedia of information. We had him on the Norwegian and Baltic cruise on the Rotterdam. And he also was on the Prinsendam along with John and Bob. Really enjoyed the lectures on our Grand voyage portion of BA to Ft Lauderdale on the Prinsendam.

HAL either needs to do a proper job of overhauling some of their older ships or they need to replace them. One of the two. Loyal HAL cruisers may indeed want to travel on some of the ships with HVAC or other engineering issues, but we won't even consider them.

I know how disappointing it can be when a cruise does not live up to expectations. I guess that "stuff" can happen on any vacation. Once, on a tent camping trip in the mountains I forgot our sleeping bags. Now THERE was a real problem, but we improvised and had a good time.

Of three great HAL cruises to Hawaii, we had one where it poured torrents all day in Maui and an earthquake canceled our Kona visit. On that particular cruise, the people I met on board were such fun that other issues didn't matter. On the old Noordam we limped along with engine problems on one cruise but still managed to have a good vacation. The entertainment staff made a terrific effort and it paid off.

If something goes wrong and it can be fixed, I keep talking to the proper individuals until it is fixed or compensation is offered. If weather interferes I choose Plan B.

I understand that your vacation time and money are important and you don't want to be disappointed in any way. Don't give up on cruising. Keep trying cruiselines and ships until you find the best fit for your needs.

HAL either needs to do a proper job of overhauling some of their older ships or they need to replace them. One of the two. Loyal HAL cruisers may indeed want to travel on some of the ships with HVAC or other engineering issues, but we won't even consider them.

We so agree! We were on on the old Noordam when it broke down in Arhaus, Denmark. That was a disaster since everyone had to leave the ship and be bused back to Copenhagen. We then missed our Copenhagen tour. HAL did not offer any refunds....just a $100 on board credit for a future cruise IF we took in within 12 months. :(

We understand the frustration of the op and others. We also think HAL does a real disservice to pax when they keep the older ships that are in need of repairs. That said, we have since cruised several times with HAL, but we always choose the newest ships. Never again will we travel on an old ship.

HAL''s old tubs are giving HAL a bad name. And when they do go into drydock for paint and wallpaper, and an extra cabin plonked on an open deck, they seem to come out too early. It's called cheating your customers.

We are not interested in compensation. We want a ship that works, a cabin that has the right temperature, all engines working, and we don't expect to board a ship with workmen on board completing half finished renovations. There are just too many other great ship options out there to be bothered with that nonsense.

You are right about Frank Buckingham, he is a walking talking encyclopedia of information. We had him on the Norwegian and Baltic cruise on the Rotterdam. And he also was on the Prinsendam along with John and Bob. Really enjoyed the lectures on our Grand voyage portion of BA to Ft Lauderdale on the Prinsendam.

Frank is a retired Colonel in the British military and definitely knows his stuff worldwide. Great to listen to. You'll usually find him on the longer cruises. He's been on Amsterdam also

Archived