Tipping Porters at Port Everglades?

steveandjen

I just don't understand how people pay hundreds of dollars for a cruise and then get all upset about tipping the last people to handle your luggage before it gets put on the ship....:eek:

I know it is a hot topic for some, but when I am about to begin my wonderful cruise, giving a few bucks to a porter is just not a big deal to me.

Happy sailing everyone!!!

The porters at Port Canaveral don't work for the cruise lines and they are union Dockworkers making ~$30 and hour...... I tip but not sure at that price they are providing a service or doing a job?

• 2 years later...
On 2/29/2016 at 12:56 PM, irishgal432 said:

My husband dropped off the bags and didn't have money since we got separated. Lo and behold my son and his friend had no luggage at 8. We went to guest services and there they were without luggage tags.

thanks....wow....just What I thought.  Cant you deliver the bags directly to the baggage area?

On another thread I was just told tipping depends on how much the person being tipped is paid. 

Then elsewhere it’s said to be tied to service.

now it comes down to the level of extortion.

who knows.

Reading other posts on this site I read some pretty bad stories.   Common theme for poor tips is lost of luggage tags including your cabin tags.  Nice.

On my next trip if I can sense any extortion,  I will reluctantly bring my luggage on board.  Good thing it won't get lost and also sometimes we waited until 6pm to get our luggage delivered.

My tags where remove from luggage.  We thought the tipping was part of our daily tip the cruise takes each day.  We thought they were carnival employees.  Since they cut our tags we had to go down to lost luggage area to identify the luggage.  Pretty sad

You'll find signs in Port Miami and Port Everglades stating that tipping the porters is optional and based on quality of service.

But for porters, tipping is not optional.

If you need their service, tip them. Simply give more if the service is great.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2011 at 2:02 PM, steveandjen said:

Hello. First and foremost, I have no issue tipping porters who help. I have however heard some horror stories about the porters at Port Everglades who request a tip before you even get out of your vehicle and that I have an issue with. I tried to do some research with the port, however they claim that porters are hired by the cruise lines. Please see below:

Good morning Steve,

The Porters are representatives hired by the cruise lines. Please contact the cruise line for more information about tipping the Porters.

Best regards,

Paula Serpa

Business Development Assistant • Cruise

Port Everglades Department

1850 Eller Drive • Ste. 501 • Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316

954-468-0176 • Fax: 954-765-5345

http://www.porteverglades.net

Last time I checked, I thought the porters where employees of the port?

Anyways, is tipping actually a requirement at Port Everglades?

Thanks,

Steve

Hello,

They are NOT Port Employees.  The cruise lines hire a stevedoring company, the stevedoring company hires the stevedores/longshoremen/porters.   Local ILA 1526

33 minutes ago, foflocruiser said:

Hello,

They are NOT Port Employees.  The cruise lines hire a stevedoring company, the stevedoring company hires the stevedores/longshoremen/porters.   Local ILA 1526

Interesting....that explains why I see so many comments like the one below.  If you have a problem you contact the cruise company..they then direct you to stevedoring.  Thats where it ends.

At Miami last week, they use little phrases like I hope you appreciate all the work I am doing for you.  When that occurs run away...if you dont tip enough...your hosed like below cruise critic comments. Unless there is adequate supervision, you have to be careful which porter you get.  We will see at our next port,  

However, we are packing medium bags just in case we need to bring it on board ourselves.  Its a bit of a hassle but actually guarantees delivery.  I bring my carry on to plane as well.  The hassle is we have to bring it up to the food deck and get our food and bring it down to our room at 1:30 when it opens.  Since not much is happening on the ship we can put our stuff away,

I will not tip any porter that would do anything to someones luggage.  I can pick up a bad vibe in less than 2 minutes from anyone.  If someone rushes to your car to help you...thats a bad sign.  The porters are rushing to fight over tips.

So why dont they mandate using all porters at Airlines....because of the airline rule.,....Have you been in possession of your luggage at all times.

We had our luggage tags ripped off once.  We did not know why ....but after reading this forum....Now I know.  Some folks may think the tips are included since your port taxes pay for the porters.  And some folks might think the porters are cruise line staff where your daily fee is used to tip them.  At our recent trip at Long Beach, the Porter said if you want your luggage on board you have to pay us.  We took it on board ourselves.  

For me, charge me more for the cruise. Pay the porters the extra money. Eliminate tipping and eliminate porters fighting over tips.  Thats the true cruise experience from beginning to end.  You never open up your wallet.  So a cruise that costs 1500 bucks...just charge 1510 and give the 10  to the porters.  That's there tip.  Why is that so hard to do.  They get paid if they do or do not take your luggage.  No abuse...no reason to tear tags...no anger...

"We tipped the porter in Port Everglades and one of our suitcases was slashed and ruined. I guess we didn't tip enough!

Kathleen

5 hours ago, foflocruiser said:

The Porters are representatives hired by the cruise lines. Please contact the cruise line for more information about tipping the Porters.

I find this comment from an employee of the Port Everglades interesting.  I would have thought that the cruise lines' Port Agent would have hired the Porters.  Is she saying that the cruise line hires a Port Agent and then the Port Agent hires the Porters?

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I find this comment from an employee of the Port Everglades interesting.  I would have thought that the cruise lines' Port Agent would have hired the Porters.  Is she saying that the cruise line hires a Port Agent and then the Port Agent hires the Porters?

The cruise line hires a ship agent and a stevedoring company.

A ship agent does various tasks, like working with home ports & CREW.

The stevedoring company hires the longshoremen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 12:03 PM, thedeadman said:

Interesting....that explains why I see so many comments like the one below.  If you have a problem you contact the cruise company..they then direct you to stevedoring.  Thats where it ends.

At Miami last week, they use little phrases like I hope you appreciate all the work I am doing for you.  When that occurs run away...if you dont tip enough...your hosed like below cruise critic comments. Unless there is adequate supervision, you have to be careful which porter you get.  We will see at our next port,  

However, we are packing medium bags just in case we need to bring it on board ourselves.  Its a bit of a hassle but actually guarantees delivery.  I bring my carry on to plane as well.  The hassle is we have to bring it up to the food deck and get our food and bring it down to our room at 1:30 when it opens.  Since not much is happening on the ship we can put our stuff away,

I will not tip any porter that would do anything to someones luggage.  I can pick up a bad vibe in less than 2 minutes from anyone.  If someone rushes to your car to help you...thats a bad sign.  The porters are rushing to fight over tips.

So why dont they mandate using all porters at Airlines....because of the airline rule.,....Have you been in possession of your luggage at all times.

We had our luggage tags ripped off once.  We did not know why ....but after reading this forum....Now I know.  Some folks may think the tips are included since your port taxes pay for the porters.  And some folks might think the porters are cruise line staff where your daily fee is used to tip them.  At our recent trip at Long Beach, the Porter said if you want your luggage on board you have to pay us.  We took it on board ourselves.  

For me, charge me more for the cruise. Pay the porters the extra money. Eliminate tipping and eliminate porters fighting over tips.  Thats the true cruise experience from beginning to end.  You never open up your wallet.  So a cruise that costs 1500 bucks...just charge 1510 and give the 10  to the porters.  That's there tip.  Why is that so hard to do.  They get paid if they do or do not take your luggage.  No abuse...no reason to tear tags...no anger...

"We tipped the porter in Port Everglades and one of our suitcases was slashed and ruined. I guess we didn't tip enough!

Kathleen

We were at Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades Holland America Terminal December 16 2018.  As we were getting out of the taxi a porter came up to us and said for a few dollars tip he would take our luggage and ensure it gets on the ship.  I foolishly gave him $5 and he took all our luggage and simply turned around to pile it all on the luggage trolly a merely 2 feet away from us.  Next time I will lift the luggage onto the trolly myself.  

6 hours ago, DreamsVacations said:

We were at Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades Holland America Terminal December 16 2018.  As we were getting out of the taxi a porter came up to us and said for a few dollars tip he would take our luggage and ensure it gets on the ship.  I foolishly gave him $5 and he took all our luggage and simply turned around to pile it all on the luggage trolly a merely 2 feet away from us.  Next time I will lift the luggage onto the trolly myself.  

Welcome to the boards! :classic_biggrin:

I always tip the porters, cab/Uber drivers, etc. and happily pay the gratuities on my cruise line bill.  I'm happy to grease the skids, pay extra for good service, and enjoy my vacation.  Tipping is your call and your results may vary. 

Edited by JohninDC

5 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Welcome to the boards! :classic_biggrin:

I always tip the porters, cab/Uber drivers, etc. and happily pay the gratuities on my cruise line bill.  I'm happy to grease the skids, pay extra for good service, and enjoy my vacation.  Tipping is your call and your results may vary. 

If you bypass the porters and put it on the bins you probably piss off the porter. The 5 dollars is insurance.  

Lots of folks directly bring their luggage on board.  No need to hand your luggage to a Non cruise line employee.  After rolling my luggage across the nation I can rolled it into my cabin just like I do for hotel room.  No way lose ur luggage or it gets put in front of wrong cabin. Now if it was a cruise employee...that's different situation.

Carrying our luggage onto the ship, especially with the way my wife packs would be quite a chore. :classic_blink:  And if you board early before the rooms are open, you're stuck with the bags for an hour or two.  I prefer to let the porters do their thing.  Your call.

Have a great cruise! :classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, thedeadman said:

If you bypass the porters and put it on the bins you probably piss off the porter. The 5 dollars is insurance.  

Lots of folks directly bring their luggage on board.  No need to hand your luggage to a Non cruise line employee.  After rolling my luggage across the nation I can rolled it into my cabin just like I do for hotel room.  No way lose ur luggage or it gets put in front of wrong cabin. Now if it was a cruise employee...that's different situation.

How do you get anything larger than a carry on through security?

I'm almost certain the porter takes that cart himself. So he put the bags on HIS cart which he will then take to the ship. I always give them a $5 or so. Not necessarily as insurance, its just a nice thing to do and is customary.