Maxi dresses

Hoyaheel

When I went looking for a dress for Hoyaheel, I didn't know I was going to find one for myself. :) NY and Co had such cute dresses on sale that I stopped by after work and bought this one. Ok, now I'm officially done shopping......really.......

07443926_129?$prod$

Well this was soooo cute I checked online AND ...... found a code for $40.00 off $100.00 code is 3177 it works I just used it and got these dresses there jewelry is buy 1 get 1 75% off several cute maxi's but I'm to short LOL EDITED to add there dresses is 30% off + you can use the code

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=prod3610022&categoryId=cat60070&productId=prod3610022&categoryId=cat60070&addFacet=1002%3Acat60070

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=prod3430236&categoryId=cat60070&addFacet=1002%3Acat60070

dress.jpg.17114c2c8ee8036e543cf828d7fcbd17.jpg

1981670090_dress2.jpg.896b8ec0b681a372d8fba9daa2cb07c5.jpg

Wow, you should have seen all the maxi dresses I saw in Vegas this weekend. They were everywhere! Some were very cute and tasteful, but I'm amazed how many large busted women wear "tube top" style dresses without any support. Yipes!:eek:

Then there were the tube dresses... That's a whole 'nother story! Ladies, if your butt cheeks show when you walk, IT'S TOO SHORT!!!!!:rolleyes:

LOL Nelie. :) I know what you mean about the too-short dresses. A couple of years ago, all they sold were maxi dresses and mini dresses. Those are not good looks for me. I'm so glad they are selling knee-length dresses again!

Feeling your pain:( I am 5 foot in stocking feet. My legs are a bit thick so mini's are not rally an option (although they aren't always MINI'S on me) and maxi's are well I swim in material...LOL. I held a size small up and I'd need to grow 2 feet taller to wear it. Even if I had it hemmed I'd look silly.

Found this site through a blog I read. Its for plus sizes. You HAVE to check the sizing chart though b/c their sizes are different. Ex: Their XL is a Lane bryant 24.

http://www.citychiconline.com/

Saw some maxi dresses there.

Is size 16 considered "Plus Size"? :confused:

Ouch! After reading this I want to clarify that I accidently quoted brooklynfc, when I meant to just post reply. So, this isn't directed at you and I apologize for making it sound that way.

The reason for my post is that there are so many people recommending plus size dresses, when the OP said she's a size 16. I'm just wondering if, in this world of super skinny being the "marketing norm", if anyone more than a size 10 or 12 is considered plus sized. If so, that stinks.. :(

Yeah, 16 sort of is plus size, but it's also borderline. So I end up trying a lot of things on - Women's sizes usually start at 16 (some start at 14 - like Talbots - their 14W fits me better than their 16 regular does) Athletic type lines often only go up to 14 (like, the entire Title Nine catalog that I just received in the mail today:rolleyes:) but sometimes stores like Lane Bryant are a little too big for me. Try try try:D

So today I made it to TJ Maxx - nothing (as I said before - they had something like 3 dresses total in the 16-18-XL section...) I ordered one from Kohls with a couple other things - we'll see how that goes. I couldn't find what I wanted at DSW either (shoes) so I fear my shopping karma is not good at the moment.

On the plus side, the dentist and the gym were both positive experiences today:p

Yeah, 16 sort of is plus size, but it's also borderline. So I end up trying a lot of things on - Women's sizes usually start at 16 (some start at 14 - like Talbots - their 14W fits me better than their 16 regular does) Athletic type lines often only go up to 14 (like, the entire Title Nine catalog that I just received in the mail today:rolleyes:) but sometimes stores like Lane Bryant are a little too big for me. Try try try:D

So today I made it to TJ Maxx - nothing (as I said before - they had something like 3 dresses total in the 16-18-XL section...) I ordered one from Kohls with a couple other things - we'll see how that goes. I couldn't find what I wanted at DSW either (shoes) so I fear my shopping karma is not good at the moment.

On the plus side, the dentist and the gym were both positive experiences today:p

Any time you can say the dentist was a positve experience, you are living a charmed life!:p

Ouch! After reading this I want to clarify that I accidently quoted brooklynfc, when I meant to just post reply. So, this isn't directed at you and I apologize for making it sound that way.

The reason for my post is that there are so many people recommending plus size dresses, when the OP said she's a size 16. I'm just wondering if, in this world of super skinny being the "marketing norm", if anyone more than a size 10 or 12 is considered plus sized. If so, that stinks.. :(

No offense taken.

And yes. If you go by the fashion world guide, then a size 9 and up is consider plus size actually. However, the avg. size for a woman is a size 12. In most stores that sell plus sizes they start with a 14/16 size and go up. Its sad, I would kill to be a 14/16.

We call them "Town Gown's" here in Florida, and I've found them in the past at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. I can't remember which, but one of those two always seems to have a large selection under $50 in a lot of styles and colors. I'm fairly slender but also busty and need to wear a real bra as well, so I know what you mean about wider coverage on the shoulders.

The maxi dress I ordered from Kohls arrived today and I think I am going to keep it. It's cute (I paid $30 because of various Kohls discounts I had) and it's more flattering than this photo suggests: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/brands16w24w/apt9/dresses/PRD~771661/Apt+9+Floral+Sublimation+Maxi+Dress++Womens+Plus.jsp

It hits my chest in such a way that it doesn't make me look pregnant, which is great! However - it's a very thin cheap poly fabric. Will be great for travel & a cruise (lightweight, no wrinkle, quick dry) but also likely won't breathe. And I'm not sure how nice it will look in sun - have to test tomorrow. But it's a start!

Yes, size 16 is absolutely plus size.

Ohhhh, I love maxi dresses!! I have recently had my eye on a few at Macy's from the INC brand, and starting tomorrow, Macy's is having their Friends & Family Sale and that's when I plan on getting them!! Everything in the store (regular, sale & clarence + any brands) will have 25% taken off, plus another 15% if you use your Macy's card.. Good deal if you ask me!! :D

if you have a Dots store near you, give it a shot:http://www.dots.com

i hate buying dresses because i have a larger chest and i'm 5'3, so long, flowing, deep v-necked dresses don't work for me because i MUST wear a bra. but I just bought 3 really flattering dresses at Dots, $60 total (approx $20 each with tax). blew my mind cuz dress shopping is never that easy for me. hope this helps!

I love J.Jill. I ordered a lovely seamed linen maxi in turquoise and loved it so much I ordered another in pink. I carry weight in my mid-section so had to order up a size and bring it to the alteration shop. But absolutely worth it. Do check out J.Jill. I also had them shorten it to a tea-length because I'm short and it looks better at that length.

Archived