Maxi dresses

Hoyaheel

Help! I can't find any I like:mad: I ordered 2 from Target - one looked hideous on me, and the other order was cancelled (back ordered for a month then cancelled) I want something casual but ok for the dining room on casual night.

1) I have a large chest, so I *need* real straps so I can wear a real bra. This is the biggest problem - so many cute maxi dresses are spaghetti straps and that won't work for me (plus I hate wearing a tank top under spaghetti straps - that's a look that's too young & unpolished for me)

2) I'm size 16 so where the waist hits and how wide elastic is makes a BIG difference on me. Some empire waists make me look pregnant. The Target dress I returned made my hips look twice as large as they are because of the elastic waist.

So, for less than $75 (preferably closer to $30, but hey, I'm willing to evaluate more expensive options:p) where can I find some cute dresses?? Thanks!

(This is the dress that looks HEINOUS on me and I returned it: http://www.target.com/Plus-Size-Merona-Guava-Sleeveless-V-Neck/dp/B0047SO8RW/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&id=Plus-Size%20Merona%20Guava%20Sleeveless%20V-Neck&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&keywords=maxi%2Bdress&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&sr=1-52&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0&qid=1302631383

This is the order that was cancelled: http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Blocked/dp/B004AID4A6/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&id=Mossimo%20Supply%20Co%20Juniors%20Blocked&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&keywords=maxi%2Bdress&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&sr=1-64&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0&qid=1302631383

Don't get a "maxi" dress! Get a regular sundress, if you must wear a dress. On casual nights, capris/slacks are fine, too!

How is that helpful? I have TONS of dresses that hit at or just below my knee, thank you very much. Dresses are my primary outfit for the loooooooong summer months of NC. I don't like many capris on me. I rarely wear shorts. I want variety, and am looking for a maxi dress.

Thanks to those of you who've offered more helpful and responsive answers:rolleyes:

This isn't *just* for a cruise, by the way (I was trying to limit my question because this is a cruise message board) but I have a couple other places I wanted to wear a maxi dress this summer. Depending on the style, I can probably wear it for work too. I have several ankle length tank dresses I wear for work.....

I had looked at the Old Navy website and didn't see any I loved. Kohls website has some that might be cute so I will try to get to a nearby store and try some on. Guess I just have to get out and pound the pavement....

As for a coverup - if my bra straps are showing, chances are the top of the maxi dress is skimpy enough that my bra will be showing in other places. And if I'm hot enough to want to wear a strapless dress (which I am usually May - October here ;-) then a cardigan as the only answer isn't going to work.....

Grr, you encouraged me to check my Target order--I had a really cute dress that was supposed to ship in two weeks and yup--they cancelled it.

I agree, I don't think it has to be a maxi dress--this is the dress I was going to get http://www.target.com/Plus-Size-Merona-V-Neck-Drape-Dress/dp/B004FJ3X8I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid3&keywords=drape&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-7&qid=1302636903&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Plus-Size%20Merona%20V-Neck%20Drape%20Dress&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0 except they no longer carry my size. :( I was planning to wear it with dressy shoes in the MDR.

Good call - some of the Bisou Bisou are cute but covered on top. Guess I'll add that store to my list to see how they fit on top:D

Yes, I have a Bisou Bisou maxi dress that I love :)

Have you checked a local Marshall's / TJ Maxx / Ross? Those stores are hit or miss but do tend to have a broad selection of styles so you may find what you're looking for!

Have you checked a local Marshall's / TJ Maxx / Ross? Those stores are hit or miss but do tend to have a broad selection of styles so you may find what you're looking for!

I haven't (I have been working long hours -April & May are crazy here - and online shopping is the only thing I can fit in because I'm always at my desk- haven't carved out time to hit a store) I will say in general the TJ Maxx & Marshalls near me have a very limited selection in sizes above 14. Like - 3 dresses and suits each?

It might rain next weekend, and if so - I'll hold off on gardening and maybe go shopping:eek:

Chico's has two beautiful maxi dresses that are really cute and you can wear any bra you want under them. They are really slimming and look great on many body types. Cheap they are not, but if you work the coupons and sales, you could get it a bit cheaper. It's 149. I am a sales associate there and it literally looks good on everyone who tries it on. Size 16/18 is a size 3 at Chico's. I don't know...maybe saying you're a size 3 might be worth a couple extra dollars! :p It is for me!!!!

I haven't (I have been working long hours -April & May are crazy here - and online shopping is the only thing I can fit in because I'm always at my desk- haven't carved out time to hit a store) I will say in general the TJ Maxx & Marshalls near me have a very limited selection in sizes above 14. Like - 3 dresses and suits each?

It might rain next weekend, and if so - I'll hold off on gardening and maybe go shopping:eek:

I definitely have stores I won't return to because they never have anything that fits so I understand your frustration with TJ Maxx & Marshalls...my time is valuable! Good luck wherever you end up shopping!

Help! I can't find any I like:mad: I ordered 2 from Target - one looked hideous on me, and the other order was cancelled (back ordered for a month then cancelled) I want something casual but ok for the dining room on casual night.

1) I have a large chest, so I *need* real straps so I can wear a real bra. This is the biggest problem - so many cute maxi dresses are spaghetti straps and that won't work for me (plus I hate wearing a tank top under spaghetti straps - that's a look that's too young & unpolished for me)

2) I'm size 16 so where the waist hits and how wide elastic is makes a BIG difference on me. Some empire waists make me look pregnant. The Target dress I returned made my hips look twice as large as they are because of the elastic waist.

So, for less than $75 (preferably closer to $30, but hey, I'm willing to evaluate more expensive options:p) where can I find some cute dresses?? Thanks!

(This is the dress that looks HEINOUS on me and I returned it: http://www.target.com/Plus-Size-Merona-Guava-Sleeveless-V-Neck/dp/B0047SO8RW/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&id=Plus-Size%20Merona%20Guava%20Sleeveless%20V-Neck&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&keywords=maxi%2Bdress&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&sr=1-52&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0&qid=1302631383

This is the order that was cancelled: http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Blocked/dp/B004AID4A6/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&id=Mossimo%20Supply%20Co%20Juniors%20Blocked&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&keywords=maxi%2Bdress&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&sr=1-64&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0&qid=1302631383

I go back and forth between a size 14 & 16 and have a large chest as well , so I feel your pain. I usually have really good luck with clothes from Jessica London--they are the plus size (size 12 & up ) side of Chadwicks. They are very nicely priced too and whenever I order clothes from them I get tons of compliments.:)

http://www.avenue.com/Plus-Size-The-Maxi-Dress.aspx?DeptId=21169

And make sure you go on retailmenot.com to get any promo codes they have out, I usually find one on there for around 30% off my order!

Ever tried Forever 21? I hadn't until they opened a Super Forever 21 in my local mall...I looked online and they have a maxi dress with very nice lines here:

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=faith%5Fdresses&product%5Fid=2000012773&Page=1&pgcount=20

00012773-02.jpg

I know what you mean about looking pregnant in the wrong style...the A-line on this one, even with the empire waist should be good since it doesn't have the gathered waist and the fabric just flares out. Only $27.80 online!

Chico's has two beautiful maxi dresses that are really cute and you can wear any bra you want under them. They are really slimming and look great on many body types. Cheap they are not, but if you work the coupons and sales, you could get it a bit cheaper. It's 149. I am a sales associate there and it literally looks good on everyone who tries it on. Size 16/18 is a size 3 at Chico's. I don't know...maybe saying you're a size 3 might be worth a couple extra dollars! :p It is for me!!!!

I have been eyeing those exact dresses; I am a Passport member and have the coupons (and some money on a gift card from Christmas), but I can't quite make up my mind to spend that much on one dress.

They are gorgeous and certainly eliminate the bra issue, though.

Woman Within has a few nice casual Sundresses that I just ordered, both 3/4 length and maxi that are nice but casual. Some are dressier than others. I just ordered a few myself for an Aruba land vacaion in June and a Carnival Cuise in August. Most had the wide straps and I think you'll find the style you are looking for. Good Luck.

I just picked up an adorable black and white floral maxi on clearance at Chicos.com last week. It was only 39.99 and since I spent more than $75.00 I got to take an extra $15.00 off the dress, which was my only sale item. Gotta love those Chicos coupons!. More than half of my clothes are from Chicos. Luckily, I have a Chicos outlet near me. I just got 2 pairs of shorts, white jeans, a jacket and 3 shirts for $175.00 last Thursday using my $25.00 off $100 coupon.

One store I always forget about is Burlington Coat Factory. I found a cute peasant skirt there last summer for 19.99! I wish I bought it. :(

I bought 2 maxi dresses there last week for $19.99 each although they each had adjustable spaghetti straps. You could always wear a color coordinated tank underneath the dress.

Archived