not cruising to Mexico anymore

....seriously bad drug violence on that side. MOST ships currently sailing have already dropped Mazatlan as a port stop....and Alcapulco (sp?) is really messed up too. The cruise lines are smart to have a plan to pull out all together, as they are having a hard time selling rooms even now...as word gets out.

There was even a segment on CNN a few weeks ago about this and the prime minister of Mexico was pleading with people to still come to that side of Mexico, as they really reley on tourism dollars. Sad but true.

We loved being able to sail out of San Diego - last did it in Feb. 2010. While on that cruise, we heard that they were eliminating the Mexico itinerary. The basic reason is that they were losing money. Bookings started falling off with last year's flu epidemic, then continued to drop with the escalating crime problems. They were often full, but only because they had dropped prices to the point that they were losing money. Would love to see them come up with another West Coast itinerary - Maybe San Diego>Catalina>Santa Barbara>San Francisco (with an overnight for tours into the Napa/Sonoma wine country), then Seattle. They might have to include a quick trip to Ensenada or Vancouver to comply with the US regulations that require a stop in a foreign port.

We loved being able to sail out of San Diego - last did it in Feb. 2010. While on that cruise, we heard that they were eliminating the Mexico itinerary. The basic reason is that they were losing money. Bookings started falling off with last year's flu epidemic, then continued to drop with the escalating crime problems. They were often full, but only because they had dropped prices to the point that they were losing money. Would love to see them come up with another West Coast itinerary - Maybe San Diego>Catalina>Santa Barbara>San Francisco (with an overnight for tours into the Napa/Sonoma wine country), then Seattle. They might have to include a quick trip to Ensenada or Vancouver to comply with the US regulations that require a stop in a foreign port.

Sign me up!

Have those trips even been released? I see 4 Caribbean cruises for summer 2012, on the mega ships. My understanding is they have yet to come out......I mean between the Mideast and Mexico ships HAVE to go somewhere. Too early isn't it? (Not by my standards)

Karen

Yes, why don't they offer a regular CA coastal?? Does anyone?( other than the repos). It would be great to have a n bound and s bound itinerary, with Vancouver isle and Encinida to keep it legal. They do east coast cruises in NE and Atlantic CA. While I'd never do one of those in my own back yard- I'd do the CA coastal with my family in a heartbeat!

Yes, why don't they offer a regular CA coastal?? Does anyone?( other than the repos). It would be great to have a n bound and s bound itinerary, with Vancouver isle and Encinida to keep it legal. They do east coast cruises in NE and Atlantic CA. While I'd never do one of those in my own back yard- I'd do the CA coastal with my family in a heartbeat!

Princess offers coastal. LA round trip! I've got my eye on April 2012.

Our upcoming panama canal cruise stops in Acalcupo...we are not getting off the ship. They need to substitute this with another port! ....RC is very aware of all the violance.....but so far is keeping Acaculpo!

Ixtapa would be nice!

Our upcoming panama canal cruise stops in Acalcupo...we are not getting off the ship. They need to substitute this with another port! ....RC is very aware of all the violance.....but so far is keeping Acaculpo!

Ixtapa would be nice!

I was surprised at how much we enjoyed Acapulco. Others remembered it as a rather dirty port city. The tourist areas were very clean, and we never felt unsafe. You really should check out the cliff divers Linda: http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise2008PC/PanamaCruise%20086.jpg

I'm sure you remember all the old movies! :D

Ixtapa would be nice!

Maybe our Meet and Mingle group should request RCI change this port :confused:

We have a lot of Diamond Plus and Pinnancle .. maybe they carry some weight.

We had a really nice day there. :D:):D There are so many cabs EVERYWHERE, that there is nothing to be nervous about. We went and watched the cliff divers, drove around the bay to Senor Frogs for lunch (very quiet there in the daytime....with a beautiful view) and stopped at a pharmacy on the way back to pick up retinA for my mom.

I think that the fact that even those lines which still have ships based on the West Coast, rarely offer this itinerary, and never on a regular basis, should indicate something about the demand (or lack of demand) for such a cruise. If RCI still had a ship based there, they might consider offering an occasional cruise like this, but they certainly aren't about to redeploy one of their ships to do such a cruise. The few times when the flu scare in Mexico caused the lines to send their ships north, they received many complaints (some, of course, based on the fact that people had booked a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and were not thrilled at sailing somewhere else, but also some who just had little or no interest in the ports being offered).

I was surprised at how much we enjoyed Acapulco. Others remembered it as a rather dirty port city. The tourist areas were very clean, and we never felt unsafe. You really should check out the cliff divers Linda: http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise2008PC/PanamaCruise%20086.jpg

I'm sure you remember all the old movies! :D

Recently there were a group of tourists killed in a taxi in front of their resort....more killings everyday, they are just not in the news.

Maybe our Meet and Mingle group should request RCI change this port :confused:

We have a lot of Diamond Plus and Pinnancle .. maybe they carry some weight.

I think this was talked over....maybe we should try! :)

OP is asking about the West coast of Mexico...

Oh I realized that once I opened the thread, but I just thought that for somebody just glancing at thread titles, "not cruising to Mexico anymore" might be somewhat misleading.:rolleyes:

Archived