Euro Denominations

CruisinManiac

Can all/any denominations of Euro be ordered ahead of time from US banks? I understand that they come in paper 5, 10, 20,50,100, 200 and 500, along with smaller coins and 1 & 2 E coins. Can all be ordered or can you only get larger denominations?

My husband would rather buy the Euro up front before we leave, versus finding an ATM machine overseas. We will, however, have a special ATM card to buy more if needed while abroad. To make things simple, and to make sure we have enough currency, we want to make up packets of the Euro that we will need for each of our many excursions.

Also, what do we do with the euro when going through the US airports, and through customs in Rome? We don't want to set off any suspicion of why we are carrying so much cash.:rolleyes: We are not used to carry much US cash, much less foriegn cash.

I don't know how many euros you are planning to buy?

Usually folks buy SOME and then get the rest as they need it. When I have bought from my bank , I don't order it, I just go in and get it. I think when you order it sent to your home there are extra fees involved that make it less cost effective. I don't think you can tell them the denominations but not sure about that.

Carrying LARGE amounts of cash is never a good idea!

I do not recall ever having my wallet (or money belt) searched, nor do I remember ever being asked how much currency I was carrying other than upon re-entry into the US after foreign travel. I believe the supposed "limit" is $10,000......surely you are not going to be carrying more than that? :eek:

As to the denominations, you won't find most US banks willing to deal in coins, so the smallest denomination you'll be able to get is a 5 euro note. If possible, avoid a lot of the high denomination notes e.g., 200, 500) unless you are strictly planning to use it to pay for a private tour. If you are just purchasing a small souvenir or a snack, some vendors will not want to change a very large bill.

Can all/any denominations of Euro be ordered ahead of time from US banks? I understand that they come in paper 5, 10, 20,50,100, 200 and 500, along with smaller coins and 1 & 2 E coins. Can all be ordered or can you only get larger denominations?

My husband would rather buy the Euro up front before we leave, versus finding an ATM machine overseas. We will, however, have a special ATM card to buy more if needed while abroad. To make things simple, and to make sure we have enough currency, we want to make up packets of the Euro that we will need for each of our many excursions.

Also, what do we do with the euro when going through the US airports, and through customs in Rome? We don't want to set off any suspicion of why we are carrying so much cash.:rolleyes: We are not used to carry much US cash, much less foriegn cash.

When I ordered Euros last (2009) I did it online and there was a comment section where I broke down roughly what sort of bills I desired. When they were ready I went to the bank to pick them up and my printed comments were in the bag and my requests were honored (most in smaller bills and only a few larger).

Kind of curious about what a "special ATM card" means. Just about any ATM will work in European ATMs although you should notify your issueing bank in advance (with your itinerary) and have a 4 digit PIN and know it in numbers (no letters on most Euro ATMs). As to looking for an ATM, its hard to walk more then a block in any European city without seeing several ATMs. They are also in all the airports (usually there are some near the luggage retrieval area). As to ordering in advance (in nearly fifty years of international travel we have never done this) many banks will get you a "package" of bills (no real small denominations) but you are going to get a lousy exchange rate (and fees from some banks).

Oh, and nobody will care if you carry a lot of cash (as long as its not more then $10,000) except for the pickpockets.

Hank

When I ordered Euros last (2009) I did it online and there was a comment section where I broke down roughly what sort of bills I desired. When they were ready I went to the bank to pick them up and my printed comments were in the bag and my requests were honored (most in smaller bills and only a few larger).

Where did you order from? Just what I needed to know. ;)

We will get around 2000E to start. Just fill better already having the correct euro to put in excursion packets.

The ATM card is for a special account with a limited amount of our funds deposited into the account. That way, if the account is compromised, we will not be out thousands of dollars.

I thought that wallets had to be put into the bins at the US airports. Maybe I am wrong because my husband always has it. :D. However, I will be carrying cash as well, and always have to put my purse through. Makes me nervous for it to be out of my hands while going through those machines.

cruisemom42 - I kinda thought that we would not be able to buy coins (although I think you can get a starter pack from AAA.) Would love to have some 2E coins for tipping, etc. when we first arrive.

FWIW I was/am like your hubby. I had to pay for 6 private tours for 11 people. That was some serious cash especially for Greece and Italy.

I ended up getting 50's and 100's You think thousands in 50's and 100's will be inchs thick, it turned out not that bad or impossible to wear in a body belt. A bit of a lump but not a big deal, thrown in the hotel and ship safe once we got there.

Don't get coins or 5, 10, 20. We used the 100 for paying for excursions and made sure I broke them to have some smaller ones for small purchases.

As mentioned you do pay more for the Euros at a USA bank but some people prefer to do this.

As you might do in the USA you can request money in various amounts. I would primarily get them in 50 and 100 euro denominations and then get some smaller amounts in 10 and 20 denominations. At the hotel you can get change for say the 100 euros but I would go for the larger bills to keep wallets and purses more manageable.

I would put some of the money in your husbands wallet, some in your wallet, and some in two envelopes; one that you carry in your purse and some that you place in a carry on with any other valuables. We do this with USA currency when we travel and it works very well.

Keith

Exchanging dollars to euros in the USA will get you a poor rate. Also, avoid the 100Euro bills. Many places in Europe don't want to take the large bills.

I thought that wallets had to be put into the bins at the US airports. Maybe I am wrong because my husband always has it. :D. However, I will be carrying cash as well, and always have to put my purse through. Makes me nervous for it to be out of my hands while going through those machines.

cruisemom42 - I kinda thought that we would not be able to buy coins (although I think you can get a starter pack from AAA.) Would love to have some 2E coins for tipping, etc. when we first arrive.

Yes, your wallets will have to go through the x-ray machine, but there's no way they can tell how much currency you have. Just try to keep an eye on your belongings. I've worn money belt a few times going through airports and never had to take it off, although I understand that with the new scanners you do...

As soon as you arrive, just buy a soda or something in the airport and you will have instant change. :)

If it were me, I would get some starter euros before my trip and the withdraw from ATMs as needed. If anything happens to your $2,000 cash (lost/stolen), then you're out all that money!

I have never needed to tip anyone when I arrived so no need for 2 euro coins right away.

AAA has a terrible exchange rate! Even my normal bank(Wells Fargo) has a better rate. You can shop around and see the difference charged by different banks.

Keeping your cash in several different spots is a great idea.

I have never needed to tip anyone when I arrived so no need for 2 euro coins right away.

AAA has a terrible exchange rate! Even my normal bank(Wells Fargo) has a better rate. You can shop around and see the difference charged by different banks.

Keeping your cash in several different spots is a great idea.

We travel to Europe about twice a year, and I have considered opening a Euro account. Few banks offer this, but it can be done. The dollar appears to be in a downward spiral, however the Euro has problems with its PIIGS that may result in devaluation?

I can't recall exactly but looking online now BofA is using 1.49 and xe.com is reporting a 1.43 exchange rate. As a BofA customer I don't think I had to pay any other fees but I could be wrong. I'd have to double check my statements.

I started out trying to quote everyone, but this thread became too long while I was away. :D I am only allowed three auto quotes.

Thank you all for the most helpful advice. My husband - who happens to be a banker, talked to a worldly traveler friend of his. The friend has said basically the same as you...but some now (no bank fees ;)) and get the rest as needed with our ATM card.

What I will do is make out the envelopes, and then every day before each excursion, we will make sure that we put the correct euro - including tip - into the envelopes. All I'll have to do is whip that envelope out at the end of the excursion that day. No fumbling to find the correct amount like the last time I cruised the Med. - without my husband. :eek:

What I will do is make out the envelopes, and then every day before each excursion, we will make sure that we put the correct euro - including tip - into the envelopes. All I'll have to do is whip that envelope out at the end of the excursion that day. No fumbling to find the correct amount like the last time I cruised the Med. - without my husband. :eek:

that's the main reason we got some Euros ahead of time. I had envelopes made up for our private tours and placed our portion plus tip inside. Made things go much more smoothly and we were not scrambling and counting money at the end of the tour. Others in our group had to ask the driver to hit ATMs because they weren't prepared. Glad we did not have that hassle.

Archived