Binoculars

Durhampro

Yes, we always bring them on a cruise. If we are flying to the port, we sometimes opt for the lighterweight sport binoculars. But, if we drive, we bring the full-size pairs. I think they are almost a must-have for Alaska cruises due to the whales and eagles.

We bring binoculars on all our trips - business or leisure, cruise or otherwise. We have several options at home and bring what is most suitable for the trip. Between camera lenses and binoculars, my husband is usually well-weighted with optics:p

And if you're doing a cruise like Alaska, everyone should bring their own pair of binocs. My husband and I prefer not to have to share - maybe that's just us:p I remember being on the Westerdam going through the Panama canal - we had a superior verandah and were out on the balcony with our binocs - chatting with the people in the full suite (deluxe verandah) above us - they were jealous of our binoculars and we told them that suites should have binocs in the room - so they looked and found them. Can't believe people would pay that much for a cabin and not know what they're supposed to get :rolleyes: But we all enjoyed the transit!!

I usually bring mine, but would advise not taking to strong a pair as regards magnification. The rolling of the ship, albeit slight, makes them hard to target. I have a pair of 12x50's which personally is about the limit I would go to

I never cruise without bringing my binoculars.

Love to check out other ships in port or floating on the sea. There is usually a school of dolphins cavorting alongside. Plus it's just good fun to have a prowl at all of the funny lights and shapes bobbing on the wide open sea.

Jonathan

Me, too! There's alot to see at sea....passing ships, landmasses...and it's always fun to check out distant points in ports...what might look quite charming without binoculars, can look pretty "ratty" when you see some of the sights upclose!!!

Don't count on seeing "sea life", tho....if anything is visible, it is best seen without magnification! Moving sea life is hard to focus on!

Don't count on seeing "sea life", tho....if anything is visible, it is best seen without magnification! Moving sea life is hard to focus on!

Experience helps. I've had great luck seeing wildlife (at sea and on land) from moving vehicles (be they ship, car, safari van:p) I wasn't very good when I started but practice makes perfect;)

Generally 7 x 50 (night glasses) are best. The 7 power magnification brings in the image well enough for most scanning, while more powerful binoculars get heavier and more expensive and harder to keep clearly focussed on a greatly magnified object- particularly for the same quality of lens. The 50 mm. front lens gathers enough light so they are useful in dim/dark conditions. Anything much smaller would not provide an ideal amount of light and magnification.

I have taken binoculars on cruises and not used them, although I know it enhances many people's experience. Just me, but they are extra baggage I can do without. One of the items I have carried for little or no benefit. I am always working on refining my packing list and that one is out.

• 1 month later...

Archived