LOS/Toulon on a Sunday

cw2go

Hello I am reading and seem to be getting myself twisted...

Okay we are sailing RCCL Liberty and dock in Provence (Toulon) France 7am-5pm June 19th I also posted in Europe forum but I find there is more activity here...fingers crossed :p

We are splurging on our Italy tours, So in Toulon we really want a low budget & laid back beach day.

RCCL offers a Bandol/Beaches tour for $42 each. The hours are 1-5:45 which cannot be possible with our port time? So I assume that will be adjusted? :eek:

My questions: Is there a beach with easy access nearby? Are taxi's readily available? I am also unsure of where we are actually docking, I did read there is a shuttle for $12 each US to take us to Toulon from ??? So where are we docked, what is there and what will be open? Does our RCCL excursion include this shuttle cost? I was sure RCCL would have that answer but NOT, phone rep was a bit confused. :confused: Maybe I was confusing her? :D

Thanks in advance for your input, This is another time where CC is more help than RCCL itself...humm...:rolleyes:

Patty

When my wife and I were in Toulon we decided against a RCCL tour.

For what you want your best bet would be to take the little white train that waits outside the terminal. It takes you on a small tour of the city and makes 2 stops, one at the beach and one in the center of town by the water, and you can get off and get on another train at your leisure they pretty much run the whole day.

I don't remember how much the train costs but it is honestly worth it. Also, I highly recommend making time for some moule frites while there. They are amazing

For what you want your best bet would be to take the little white train that waits outside the terminal. It takes you on a small tour of the city and makes 2 stops, one at the beach and one in the center of town by the water, and you can get off and get on another train at your leisure they pretty much run the whole day.

I don't remember how much the train costs but it is honestly worth it. Also, I highly recommend making time for some moule frites while there. They are amazing

Thanks, we will pass on the RCCL tour...Is this the train???

http://www.traintoulon.com/

We will also be in Toulon on a Sunday but Aug 28th..Not interested in the beach..please tell me a little about this port and suggestions of what to do there...Also any other suggestions would be so much appreciated if you have been also to....which ones we could do it on our own (details please)

Nice...

Florence/Pisa..Thinking about a private tour with RomeInLimo...:confused:

Rome..Sure about a private tour with RomeInLimo...:)

Naples/Capri..

The european boards on these port has me confused..our FIRST visit so have no clue even after researching..HELP PLEASE !!!

And what are "moule frites" ?

Toulon is boring. But of course, I went in late fall and it was freezing. Next time I will dish out the money and buy a tour to the interior, like to Aix-en-Provence.

When we were there on the Adventure, we docked at La Seyne-sur-Mer, which is on the other side of the harbor and necessitates a shuttle to get you to the actual Toulon. There's nothing to see at La Seyne-sur-Mer. The shuttle drops you off right were Le Petits Trains de Toulon leave.

The beaches are in the South east in an area called Mourillon. Look out for anything called "Plage", which is French for beach :)

The naval museum is supposed to be a good one, but you'd need to be interested in that kind of thing! The port was badly damaged in the war (it's where the French fleet was scuttled), but it is still a working naval base. It seems the 'Little Train' does a tour.

We are on LOS in October 2011 and it is not clear if we will dock in La Seyne-sur-Mer, or in Toulon. We plan to visit Aix but have not decided yet how to do it. RCCL offers an excursion and based on the extremely high prices I have been finding for local taxi/tour companies the ship excursion may be the best bet for us - especially seeing they have shortened the day there to 5 pm (original time when we booked was 7pm departure).

If anyone know a good company that offers REASONABLE prices for tour to Aix would love to hear about it.

We are on LOS in October 2011 and it is not clear if we will dock in La Seyne-sur-Mer, or in Toulon. We plan to visit Aix but have not decided yet how to do it. RCCL offers an excursion and based on the extremely high prices I have been finding for local taxi/tour companies the ship excursion may be the best bet for us - especially seeing they have shortened the day there to 5 pm (original time when we booked was 7pm departure).

If anyone know a good company that offers REASONABLE prices for tour to Aix would love to hear about it.

I usually avoid ship tours , but booked the aix tour for when we go on Los. It seemed much better value for the 4 of us than a private tour.

I think the only other way would be to hire a car.

Mussels and chips (err french fries to you Yanks!). Yummy. I'm in Toulon in September and I definitely know what I'll be eating that day :D

Do you recommend a particular place in Toulon for the moule frites? Sounds delicious.

We will also be in Toulon on a Sunday but Aug 28th..Not interested in the beach..please tell me a little about this port and suggestions of what to do there...Also any other suggestions would be so much appreciated if you have been also to....which ones we could do it on our own (details please)

Nice...

Florence/Pisa..Thinking about a private tour with RomeInLimo...:confused:

Rome..Sure about a private tour with RomeInLimo...:)

Naples/Capri..

The european boards on these port has me confused..our FIRST visit so have no clue even after researching..HELP PLEASE !!!

And what are "moule frites" ?

Hello, for all of my Italy ports I am using RIL as for Nice I opted to do a RCCL excursion going to Eze mainly since it is a tender port. Looks incredible! Now with Toulon other than the Petit Train ride that requires a shuttle to get to, I am at a loss. I just may stay in the Liberty and enjoy the pool with an adult bevi :)

Hope you have a great cruise,

patty

Thanks for the tip about the tourist train. This looks exactly like the laid-back kind of day we were looking for in Toulon. And according to the website it only costs 6 Euros for adults and 3 Euros for children.

I'd make sure it runs on Sunday. My son lives in Grenoble, France and when I was talking to him last week, I mentioned that I needed to go to the store and he replied that I was very lucky I was able to do that because most everything shuts down in France on a Sunday. I can remember visiting him one time years ago when he was in another French town and we found only one restaurant open on a Sunday. Hopefully since you are talking about a port town when a ship is in, more things will be open. Anyway, this might be a time to look into the ship's tours.

I was in Toulon a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday. Not a lot happening, only the little tourist shops along the marina were open. The little train is 6 euros for a day ticket it does go along to the beach area, announcements are in English

I will be in Toulon on a Sunday (from LOS), June 5th. We decided to do a private tour to St. Tropez!! Here is what we are doing:

Pick up from Toulon port of call then drive to the so famous town of St Tropez. Popular among jet-set and famous every summer… In 1956 St Tropez known as Saint Trop (literally “Saint Too Much” was the setting for the film Et Dieu Créa la femme (And God Created Woman) starring Brigitte Bardot.

Since that time the peaceful little fishing village suddenly became the favourite of the jet set. Memorable is the spectacle of rich people dining aboard their floating palaces. It’s also the “fish market, the “herbs market, narrow bustling streets, shops, famous “Place des lices” (market on Tuesday & Saturday) where the famous play “bocci”...

Maybe a chance to see the Annonciade museum in a former chapel with Post-Impressionists painters : Bonnard, Signac, Vlaminck, Von Dongen ..

Enjoy a walking tour of the old town, a nice view from the Ramparts of the Citadel , then maybe sit down at a port-side cafés, get a drink, watch people, and just enjoy life as we do in the south of France....

The area is surrounded by the Côte de Provence vineyards...famous rose wine...possibility to stop at a winery...

If time allowed...Port Grimaud build in 1966, this small town is popularly known as the Venice of Provence due to its many canals and the fact the town was built on the sea.

Drive back to the ship.

:D

What is the best/closest place to go to if we want to enjoy macaroons and moules frites and then get in a little shopping for souvenirs (lavender, soaps, herbs de Provence, etc.)? We really would prefer to go off on our own but are not sure where to head? We are envisioning being off ship for maybe 4-5 hours or so.

Archived