Silly question about seagulls...

lillypad83

Um, so you know how you're on a cruise, and you're at least 12 hours from land, and you still see seagulls flying around? Where do they live?

I know that's a really dumb question, but I've always wanted to know.

It's not a dumb question. Seagulls nest/raise young on land, but the rest of the time they are endurance fliers. They can take advantage of winds to soar long distances with relatively little effort. If need be they can rest on the surface of the ocean (or even on cruise ships). Being up in the air they can see ships from a long way off, and they know ships are a good source for food scraps. So it's no surprise to see them hanging around.

"Seagull" is a bit of a mis-nomer. They're land birds, & tend to fly inland further than they do out to sea. Anyone who lives in a rural area will know how they follow a plough, or in urban areas how they swarm around garbage dumps.

As CB's post, you may not be able to see land - but they have a bird's eye view.

John Bull

Um, so you know how you're on a cruise, and you're at least 12 hours from land, and you still see seagulls flying around? Where do they live?

I know that's a really dumb question, but I've always wanted to know.

Most of the time during Caribbean cruises, you are not really that far from land. You're much closer to the Bahamas, Cuba, or other Caribbean islands than you think. The gulls tend to fly from ship to ship munching on scraps thrown overboard. Of course, they can't tell the difference between a cruise ship and a fishing vessel.

Most of the time during Caribbean cruises, you are not really that far from land. You're much closer to the Bahamas, Cuba, or other Caribbean islands than you think. The gulls tend to fly from ship to ship munching on scraps thrown overboard. Of course, they can't tell the difference between a cruise ship and a fishing vessel.

Want to bet? They can see a shrimper pull his nets from miles away. Scraps from ships don't offer nearly as good a meal.

We were having lunch at aft pool on Maasdam in Boston and a seagull came and grabbed DH's sandwich right off his plate. :D :eek: After getting over the shock, we thought it was a riot.

Gulls often wander far out to sea; 20 miles or so is common -- and since much of the Caribbean is within 20 miles from an island, they can be seen almost anywhere. At their cruising speed of 40 mph (they can do 100 mph in sprints) that is just half an hour from a resting spot. They know their opportunities, so the follow ships, often resting on tghe over night. They also know their limitations -- in coastal areas, long before a storm hits, you will see crowds of gulls hunkering down in fields far from the sea.

The seagull is the State Bird of waaaaay inland Utah! Apparently, they saved the territory/state from a horrific locust invasion by eating them all. There was locust swarming followed by seagull swarming!

On a trip to Sea World in San Diego back in the late 80's, I bought a cardboard container of little fishies to feed the adorable Belugas. The MINUTE I paid for them, Mr. Seagull swooped down and scooped the whole thing up! Giggles from the vendor. So, silly me paid for another order of fishies, and the vendor advised me to cover them with my hat while I walked to the Beluga pool. Between paying and taking my hat off, Mrs. Seagull swooped down and made off with my second purchase! I swear, the seagulls and the vendors are in cahoots. Vendor has my money, seagulls have my fishies!

They're smart! And big.

Wasn't Red Skeleton who used to speak about "being spotted by a seagull". Ask any sailor who is standing on deck in dress uniform about being spotted by a seagull, I have had it happen to me...it's not a lot of fun. Here is a link that contains a great deal of information on gulls.

http://www.spwickstrom.com/seagull/

yep they are UTAH's state bird...they are pesty and aggravating around here now...they are the trash/dump dive-bomber bird

we dont see them around the FAST-FOOD places like we use to and there are less farmer's fields these days to invade.

years ago we were eating outside of a Artic Circle (Fast Food) and one came and took the french fries and left a "present"!!!

we have many SEAGULL stories:(:p:mad:

i really havent seen that many on our cruises.

Because they've learnt to find food in waste tipping areas, many seaulls now breed faster inland than at the coast, where they have to hunt quite hard for food.

A skua flew round our ship one year in the Bay of Biscay...we looked him up in the library because so many people wanted to know what he was...and he was described as a ship follower.

Jo.

Want to bet? They can see a shrimper pull his nets from miles away. Scraps from ships don't offer nearly as good a meal.

Agree 100%. For a good bit of my life I lived 1 block from the beach and 1 block from a marina/shipyard that docked trawlers who primarily were after clams but routinely caught monkfish and scallops in their nets. As the fishermen made their way back to port they'd clean the unintended catch in order to sell it to people in the neighborhood. We'd be sitting on the beach behind our home watching the trawlers come in with a flock of sea gulls surrounding the vessel for the fresh scraps thrown overboard. We had many years of fresh-off-the-boat seafood.

I'm sure most people don't like them, but I love seagulls. They have been very significant to me all my life. I have always lived near the ocean and couldn't imagine not doing so... hearing them always makes me smile. :)

You could always move to Chicago a.k.a. the seagull capital of the world!

I'm sure most people don't like them, but I love seagulls. They have been very significant to me all my life. I have always lived near the ocean and couldn't imagine not doing so... hearing them always makes me smile. :)

Well I had no love for the one that "spotted me" or its cousin who dropped a clam on my car to break it.:mad:

Archived