No more towel animals?

During our 4-night Navigator (4/28-5/2) sailing, we did not have one single towel animal in our room! Our friends, who were on a different deck (with a different stateroom attendant) also didn't get ANY towel animals! I never thought to ask why. Could they be trying to prevent unnecessary washing of these extra towels? That does make sense. I don't know if that's the reason or not. I don't really care, but just found it interesting that "towel animals" are the most recent cut......(maybe it's only on shorter sailings)

I was on the ship this weekend as well. We talked to our cabin steward about this and he explained that they were told not to because it would eat in to their time. He said they have a lot of other duties to take care of in preparation for the Transatlantic they were leaving on today.

He apologized to us multiple times and said they weren't eliminating them- just needed that time to be applied to other matters.

On most of our 7 night cruises we get 4 nights with towel animals.

On my most recent 4 night Majesty and 3 night, I had them every night.

But, I really don't care if they are there or not. First cruise it was cute, now it's old.

On the Adventure of the Seas for 2 weeks out of San Juan. We did not get one the first evening so I asked the room steward if they stopped like they did the chocolates. She said no, they just don't do them the first night. She was right got one the next 13 nights, even on the back to back turn over night. But the new group that came on did not get them the first night.

On the 5 night Radiance out of Tampa, we had animals 4 out of the 5 nights.

As long as we have one night ... that being the monkey on a hanger wearing my sunglasses ... we'll be happy. You can see that a million times and there is no way you can keep from laughing out loud! This time we had a cobra. I don't recall ever seeing that one before. I do feel sorry for the overworked crew and understand not having one the first night. Or any other night for that matter.

Was on the Explorer 4/14-4/23 and our compasses stated that towel animals will be left every other night. We told our steward that our children really love the animals so he made one for their room every night (and stuck with every other for our room.)

Last year we did not get an animal on the first night of 9 nighter. So my DH made an elephant [he learned this from a cabin steward a few cruises back] on the second night. When we returned there was an even larger elephant next to his and we had animals the rest of the cruise.:D

As adults traveling without young children and after many cruises, we actually let the attendant know that a towel animal is nice perhaps one night, but not necessary on the others. We tell him/her to pick the night that suits them best.

M

I think it's up to each individual attendant.....on some cruises, we've had them everynight...on others, only a couple times....

We actually USE the towels, so it's not really a "laundry" problem.

Personally, I don't really care if we have them, or not!

Is it possible that Room Stewards are not required to make towel animals at all? Perhaps they make them when time permits, but don't when they are behind in their work. Perhaps it's up to them. Of course they all know that those are the kinds of things that lead to increased tips, so they try to do them whenever they can.

That's all speculation on my part, but it would make sense to me.

As adults traveling without young children and after many cruises, we actually let the attendant know that a towel animal is nice perhaps one night, but not necessary on the others. We tell him/her to pick the night that suits them best.

M

We always try to simplify things for the attendant. When RCI first switched bedding and had all of the extra pillows and things on the bed, we told our attendant to store them for the week rather than the on and off daily business. So, from now on we'll tell them to pick one night and skip the others. Thank you for that great tip.

I was on the ship this weekend as well. We talked to our cabin steward about this and he explained that they were told not to because it would eat in to their time. He said they have a lot of other duties to take care of in preparation for the Transatlantic they were leaving on today.

He apologized to us multiple times and said they weren't eliminating them- just needed that time to be applied to other matters.

So we have the answer to the issue.

During our 4-night Navigator (4/28-5/2) sailing, we did not have one single towel animal in our room! Our friends, who were on a different deck (with a different stateroom attendant) also didn't get ANY towel animals! I never thought to ask why. Could they be trying to prevent unnecessary washing of these extra towels? That does make sense. I don't know if that's the reason or not. I don't really care, but just found it interesting that "towel animals" are the most recent cut......(maybe it's only on shorter sailings)

Not sure why you didn't have towel animals, but I think you are wrong in concluding that they have been "cut". We were on a five night cruise just last week and had towel animals in our room every night except the first and if you read a thread about the April 23rd Explorer cruise to Bermuda you will see photos of not only the towel animals in the poster's stateroom but pictures of the class that taught guests how to make these creatures. Perhaps you should have asked why rather than jumping to an erroneous conclusion.

• 1 month later...

Mariner 12 night Holy Land cruise we only had 2, the third one half completed and I could never figure out what it was suppose to be. Our cabin attendant wasn't the greatest in a variety of her duties. I did make note of it on my comment card.

We sailed on the "Explorer of the Seas" 9 night in April and had Towel Animals every night except the First and Last night of the Cruise. Our Room Steward was great and I think it is up to the Room Steward if they want to do this little extra for their guests. IKE

Archived