PORT shuttle's

Do HAL offer shuttle when in port from the ship to down town either free or for a fee.

I’m taking my 1st HAL cruise in June from the UK to the Baltic, Fjords and Scottish Highlands. I have added a post to the roll but don’t seem to have an answer.

I’ve searched HAL internet and also can’t seem to find out if a shuttle/bus service is offered. Is there anyway I can find out this information.

We are just curious so we can start to plan our days in port before we leave.

Thanks

We're doing the same cruise in July and I asked my T.A. the same question. HAL told her that they will not provide shuttles to any of the cities, you either have to book a ship's tour or make private arrangements. :(

On our HAL Baltic cruise in '05 we had $3/p/direction shuttles in Helsinki and $5/p/dir in Stockholm. I don't know who "provided" them, but we bought the tickets at the ship Front Desk. We didn't look for shuttles in any other ports.

In Warnemunde you dock right next to the town and train station to Rostock any other places.

In Tallinn the pier is also close to town, but I suggest that you take the HAL "walking tour" that takes you up to the top of Toompea Hill by bus, to see the views and the Nevsky Cathedral. If it wasn't for the ride up I'm sure we would never have made it up there. (The tour walks back down.)

I've taken many HAL cruises through the northern Europe itineraries. More often than not, we didn't learn there would be a shuttle until the night before. Usually it was mentioned at the show, and sometimes it was also in the daily program for the next day.

HAL sold it's tours before they let you know there were alternatives.

One thing to pay attention to in Europe, there is usually a port lecturer on board. This is totally not the same as shopping ambassadors found on the Caribbean cruises. This will be a person who knows the ins and outs of these ports.

Ask the port lecturer about getting around.

I've taken many HAL cruises through the northern Europe itineraries. More often than not, we didn't learn there would be a shuttle until the night before. Usually it was mentioned at the show, and sometimes it was also in the daily program for the next day.

HAL sold it's tours before they let you know there were alternatives.

I've had that experience, too. Sometimes the late info is because of communication breakdown between the local provider (chamber of commerce, local tourist bureau) and the cruise line/tour office.

I don't know if HAL still does this, but sometimes, if the ship offers a shuttle, passengers on tours are given the option to leave the tour in the town and catch the shuttle back to the ship.

One thing to pay attention to in Europe, there is usually a port lecturer on board. This is totally not the same as shopping ambassadors found on the Caribbean cruises. This will be a person who knows the ins and outs of these ports.

Ask the port lecturer about getting around.

After several European cruises (Cunard, not HAL), where we had the kind of port lectures you describe, I went on a Caribbean cruise (not Cunard, not HAL). I hadn't been to some of the islands on this cruise before, so I went to the port talk, which was given by the "port lecturer," expecting to get useful information. I was disgusted to discover that it was all about shopping (and buying the coupon books)! At least now the cruise lines are honest and tell you that the port talk will be all about shopping.

I'm glad to hear that HAL's Europe cruises offer good port talks. I agree that a good port lecturer can be very helful.

Ruth C.--As usual, you provided excellent, concise information. I have been wondering the same thing as the questioner. I am usually just a reader here, but always read what you have to say. Thanks again.

Our 16 day TA included 6 ports. At one, you could toss a baseball into town from the deck it was so close. At the other 5, twice the loudspeaker announcements gave us BAD information. Two ports I really wanted to go to I stayed on board and found from othe pax the information given was totally wrong! :eek:

I had not expected to be lied to by HAL.

Our 16 day TA included 6 ports. At one, you could toss a baseball into town from the deck it was so close. At the other 5, twice the loudspeaker announcements gave us BAD information. Two ports I really wanted to go to I stayed on board and found from othe pax the information given was totally wrong! :eek:

I had not expected to be lied to by HAL.

Archived