Booking With US Sites & US TA's

Iam not shore what you mean by that statment as you have said (Sure, if you've got a relationship with a good agent, they can discount for you as well,) but then said (The cruise line isn't going to make some super special only for you and that agent than the price they set though) :rolleyes:

One referred to the agent, and one referred to the cruise line.

we found a huge price difference between the local agents up to $ 2000 difference on the same cruise and cruise lines for the very same cabin.

IME, some agents discount the ¨official¨ price, some discount and offer OBC, some have loyalty schemes, discounts and OBC and others don´t do any of the aforementioned let alone match prices....

One referred to the agent, and one referred to the cruise line.

IME, some agents discount the ¨official¨ price, some discount and offer OBC, some have loyalty schemes, discounts and OBC and others don´t do any of the aforementioned let alone match prices....

thats why we all way shop around and we allways end up back with land agent here in oz

Copy of an email I have just received from my US TA regarding commissions paid after 31st December..... No Commissions will be paid so there will be no chance of getting an agent to book you if you are not in their database prior to 1 January 2011.

Eileen' date='[/color']

YES that is correct, that is one of the reasons that we are trying to get clients booked or at least into our database prior to January 1, 2011.

Thanks for the info Eileen

I phoned Sue and now "we're all set" on their database.

Peter

I have confirmation (seen the email from Princess) that if you are an existing customer of an US agent you will be able to continue to book. Interesting that the email also confirms that for others that are not existing customers the agent will not receive commission on new bookings. It says nothing about the booking being refused or you being refused boarding. So the "scare tactics" were just that as we suspected.

Obviously agents will not be able to work for nothing...however I still maintain that we could personally cover the commission and be in front because the price differential is often huge. We are not talking about a few dollars here often it is hundreds and hundreds of dollars running into thousands for the longer cruises. I got ripped off more than $10,000 on a six week cruise, how did I find out...I got a mail offer from Captains Circle and just about fell off my chair..I paid thousands of dollars in deposit and then found out the real price, my friends who cruised with us, paid for a whole cruise because when Princess sectored it after we had made our booking they were not allowed to change their booking. Never again will I be caught out like that. This was a booking made 18 months before the cruise...I was so angry. I did get about half of it back as OBC after lots and lots of arguing.

DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Princess/Carnival needs to give our local agents competitive pricing and the same booking terms and conditions as the US agents can offer...then it will be a level playing field and our local agents can properly compete for our cruising dollars.

Friends of ours have just tried to book the Grand Pacific 75 nights cruise for July 2012 on Dawn Princess through an online USA Agent. They were told they cannot book it unless they have a USA address. So they then researched and contacted an AUS T/A and were advised by them that the deposit would be $4000.00 per person NON REFUNDABLE !!!

I wonder what's going on....

Jillybean:)

Had your friends booked through the US before? I have confirmation from my agent that past customers are OK to continue to book..anyone who wants to book Princess needs to get a FCC (Future Cruise Credit letter whilst onboard) for a US one it is $100 US but you dont pay a deposit on your next cruise and you get guaranteed credit up to $150 per cabin plus any extra your agent wants to give you.

I have paid huge deposits in Australia on long cruises too...that was before I discovered FCC. Why would anyone want to give away thousands of their dollars without interest for 12 months or more.

I suggest your friends have plenty of time before the cruise they want they should continue their research. They have established what the US price is...it gives them a starting point.

Had your friends booked through the US before? I have confirmation from my agent that past customers are OK to continue to book..anyone who wants to book Princess needs to get a FCC (Future Cruise Credit letter whilst onboard) for a US one it is $100 US but you dont pay a deposit on your next cruise and you get guaranteed credit up to $150 per cabin plus any extra your agent wants to give you.

I have paid huge deposits in Australia on long cruises too...that was before I discovered FCC. Why would anyone want to give away thousands of their dollars without interest for 12 months or more.

I suggest your friends have plenty of time before the cruise they want they should continue their research. They have established what the US price is...it gives them a starting point.

Yes they have booked with US T/A's several times, in fact they've just come back from their Christmas cruise which was booked through the same US T/A they wanted to book this cruise through.

Jillybean:confused:

Yes they have booked with US T/A's several times, in fact they've just come back from their Christmas cruise which was booked through the same US T/A they wanted to book this cruise through.

Jillybean:confused:

I have a copy of the official Princess email it says a lot but the most important bit says:

We understand that agents may have existing relationships with Princess

> Cruises past passengers residing in other countries. As a gesture of

> goodwill, we will honor those relationships and will continue to pay

> commissions on future bookings made with international clients for whom

> agents have previously booked a Princess Cruises product. Princess Cruises'

> Customer Relations Department will review requests of this nature on a case

> by case basis.

Your friends certainly should appeal and quote past cruises!

Regarding the FCC :

I got off the Diamond Princess yesterday.

At the desk of the smiling FCC person there were forms to fill in for FCC.

THERE WAS A DIFFERENT FORM FOR AUS & NZ. No money required.

Why am I surprised that there is a different form ? Being p----d off about the different treatment for Aussies, I filled in the Aus/NZ form to see what happens.

Here's what I found . The Aus/NZ forms are processed differently. US citizens receive an email. When I asked how I would receive the FCC booking number, I was told that the Aus forms are processed manually and "are not in the system" ; a letter would be delivered to the cabin before disembarking.

The delivered letter stated that once a cruise is booked I become eligible for the following benefits:

Quote:

1. Reduced deposit of $200.00 AUD/NZ per person

2. Your future cruise deposit is fully refundable if cancelled prior to final payment, except for voyages 30 days and longer. Deposits for voyages 30 days and longer is refundable up to 120 days prior to sailing date.

Unquote.

Shipboard credit depends on length of voyage and cabin category. For 10 -15 days $100 pp for outside is quoted.

Prior to asking about FCC , I asked for a price for a cruise (I had chosen one randomly from the brochures available) . First question was "Stateroom number ?". Of course that showed I am an Australian and I was quoted a price in AUD. I then asked the price if I booked in the US. I was told, firmly, twice, that US agents would not accept bookings from Australia. She was no longer smiling.

I will compare the AUD price to a US price when my blood pressure settles.

The FCC booking reference on the letter delivered to the cabin is merely the code I entered to use the cruise personaliser for the current cruise . I wonder if this letter is of any use ?

Ann.

Regarding the FCC :

I got off the Diamond Princess yesterday.

At the desk of the smiling FCC person there were forms to fill in for FCC.

THERE WAS A DIFFERENT FORM FOR AUS & NZ. No money required.

Why am I surprised that there is a different form ? Being p----d off about the different treatment for Aussies, I filled in the Aus/NZ form to see what happens.

Here's what I found . The Aus/NZ forms are processed differently. US citizens receive an email. When I asked how I would receive the FCC booking number, I was told that the Aus forms are processed manually and "are not in the system" ; a letter would be delivered to the cabin before disembarking.

The delivered letter stated that once a cruise is booked I become eligible for the following benefits:

Quote:

1. Reduced deposit of $200.00 AUD/NZ per person

2. Your future cruise deposit is fully refundable if cancelled prior to final payment, except for voyages 30 days and longer. Deposits for voyages 30 days and longer is refundable up to 120 days prior to sailing date.

Unquote.

Shipboard credit depends on length of voyage and cabin category. For 10 -15 days $100 pp for outside is quoted.

Prior to asking about FCC , I asked for a price for a cruise (I had chosen one randomly from the brochures available) . First question was "Stateroom number ?". Of course that showed I am an Australian and I was quoted a price in AUD. I then asked the price if I booked in the US. I was told, firmly, twice, that US agents would not accept bookings from Australia. She was no longer smiling.

I will compare the AUD price to a US price when my blood pressure settles.

The FCC booking reference on the letter delivered to the cabin is merely the code I entered to use the cruise personaliser for the current cruise . I wonder if this letter is of any use ?

Ann.

Ann, the FCC letter you received is only good for booking a cruise with a TA from AU/NZ....i use them all the time and you save heaps of $$$$

when you are ready to book a cruise you have to fax your TA the FCCL and it is used for the cruise

we cruised on the Diamond 12 months ago and we asked for a US FCC and we were told NO as we booked with an aussie TA

Last year on the Diamond Princess we had to almost demand that they sold us a FCC in US$. I could see the glare we got as we asked. :cool:

We paid our US$100 each and today have booked a cruise through the US because we were already on their books.

Must add though that we DO have to pay a hefty deposit by the 6th January and our OBC of $150 (because the cruise is over 15 days) will be applied to our account once it is received. Happy to do this though with our A$ so high. We are also ready to pay the balance if our $ starts to go south.

Have an A$ FCC which we didn't have to pay for and were told that can only be applied to the Australian based Princess ships. Cannot use that for a US booked cruise.

It's time there was a level playing field.

The FCC booking reference on the letter delivered to the cabin is merely the code I entered to use the cruise personaliser for the current cruise . I wonder if this letter is of any use ? Ann.

Hi Ann,

Yes that letter certainly is of use.

We use them all the time. Its good for 4 years. We got 2 each this time as we did the back to back from Singapore. Last year we asked for and got 3,

( used 2 of them this cruise). The onboard credit is great. In some ways we are better off than the Americans as we dont have to pay for this perk.

It can be used on any Princess cruise, anywhere in the world. We just wait until we see a special advertised, then book with a local agent, and tell them we have the FCC after they have quoted the price. Some dont like honouring it, but according to Princess they must, and do accept them.

Ps, Hows the unpacking going...I think thats the worst part of a cruise:D

Everything you have been told is correct Ann so put your FCC in a safe place it is good for 4 years. It is true that you can only use your Australian FCC with an Australian agent. There are some Australian agents which have international connections..

I have never had a problem getting (and paying) for a US FCC. I just fill in the form and drop it in the box. No point in taking my frustration out on the poor lady whose job it is to process them.

One of the bizarre reasons given by Princess for the restrictive policies is that they say the local agents promote Princess and then we book overseas which is not fair to our local agents..not sure that is the case. Most keen cruisers do their research via the internet but in any case it still begs the question then just give our local agents the equitable prices, terms and conditions. Incidentally they don't purchase any local foods etc. either they have a world wide operation which follows their ships. Don't seem to hire many local entertainers either.

In future does anyone know if you need two FCC to making a booking for 2 adults sharing a cabin?

Incidentally I am not down on Princess, I love the cruises, the ships, the staff..but as an Aussie with our proud history of rebelling against practices which discriminate against Aussies (and our Kiwi cousins) I feel the pricing practices are patently biased against us. I wonder if the continuing contraction of the US economy will force a rethink? The US market is shrinking our market is growing.

You will also find that HAL import most of their food for their Australian based cruises. They only buy fresh fruit & veges locally, even those are imported from Asia. When we did a culinary class on the Volendam, which you book and pay through the front office, the chicken that was used for the class was so large, never seen one so large here in Australia, and was told by the chef how the food is imported.

And most of their entertainers are also from the US

In future does anyone know if you need two FCC to making a booking for 2 adults sharing a cabin?

Hi Sue,:)

On the cruise we booked this week we each had to have our own FCC to receive the credit.

I think there was a thread on the general Princess board sometime back. Just know we were asked for the two numbers. Cost us $100 each but is already showing up on our personalizer.

Glad to read that you had another great cruise on the Diamond.

Best wishes.

Trish :)

On the cruise we booked this week we each had to have our own FCC to receive the credit.

I think there was a thread on the general Princess board sometime back. Just know we were asked for the two numbers. Cost us $100 each but is already showing up on our personalizer.

Best wishes.

Bugger! I should have thought of that earlier...it did not say anything on the FCC form to that effect. Never mind I will use this one for me and get two next time I am onboard...hopefully that wont be too far in the future LOL!

Bugger! I should have thought of that earlier...it did not say anything on the FCC form to that effect. Never mind I will use this one for me and get two next time I am onboard...hopefully that wont be too far in the future LOL!

From my understanding with the new rules, each FCC has to be in each individual passengers name. So each individual needs to have sailed. They're not transferrable. So you both need to have travelled. Do I make sense?

From my understanding with the new rules, each FCC has to be in each individual passengers name. So each individual needs to have sailed. They're not transferrable. So you both need to have travelled. Do I make sense?

Unfortunately yes, get you. I had heard about the change (here of course) but in the angst of waiting for a cabin allocation I had forgotten, wouldn't have made any difference since DH was not with me this trip.

Best wishes.

In a word... Yes... you must have the FCC letters in each person´s name. Apparently the rules were changed in November 2009 - right after we got another set of 4 FCL´s from our NYC-Quebec cruise in Oct 2009.

When our US T/A booked a new cruise for us in Oct 2010, she had a hard time getting Princess to honour our ¨Aust/NZ¨FCL but she is very tenacious and eventually won the battle. US based Princess call centre staff do not know what to do with an Aust/NZ FCL as there is no ¨number¨on it...must be like a receipt number issued when a deposit is paid and of course no deposit is taken from Aust-NZ passengers !!

I think that they should honour the letters they issued prior to Nov 2009 as passengers got them in good faith.

Quite a few of us Aussies on Star Princess around South America 23rd of February. The Princess Captains Circle host will be producing plenty of Future Cruise letters for us, for sure. A great piece of paper those, low deposit and OBC guaranteed. I have used them on every Princess cruise, bar the first one.

This cruise I have OBC from the future cruise letter and OBC from my t/a. I will drink to that !

Quite a few of us Aussies on Star Princess around South America 23rd of February. The Princess Captains Circle host will be producing plenty of Future Cruise letters for us, for sure. A great piece of paper those, low deposit and OBC guaranteed. I have used them on every Princess cruise, bar the first one.

This cruise I have OBC from the future cruise letter and OBC from my t/a. I will drink to that !

I hope you guys have a great time very envious...did you notice the cheap airfare to Santiago around $1700 it was way more than that when I was contemplating the Star to Sth America. Fare doesn't start until Mar and runs to September.

I hope you guys have a great time very envious...did you notice the cheap airfare to Santiago around $1700 it was way more than that when I was contemplating the Star to Sth America. Fare doesn't start until Mar and runs to September.

Yes Sue. We paid $1800 which included our air from Melbourne to Sydney

Archived