Disabled man kicked off 'nude cruise' gets refund

Royal does nude cruises?

The news report was wrong (surprise). In the report, the letter reads "Celebrity Century" and they show a picture of a Celebrity ship, not RCI. But since its the same parent company, they got confused.

The news report was wrong (surprise). In the report, the letter reads "Celebrity Century" and they show a picture of a Celebrity ship, not RCI. But since its the same parent company, they got confused.

So Celebrity does nude cruises then? Isn't it like a 40+ crowd?

And here's the original news story as taken from CC and posted on MSNBC...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42645683/ns/travel-cruise_travel/

Honestly, he should have had a private duty nurse with him. Someone in a wheel chair in his condition requires at least a one person, if not, two person transfer in/out of bed and into the bathroom. A butler wouldn't be trained to do that. And he knew that going into it.

And here's the original news story as taken from CC and posted on MSNBC...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42645683/ns/travel-cruise_travel/

Honestly, he should have had a private duty nurse with him. Someone in a wheel chair in his condition requires at least a one person, if not, two person transfer in/out of bed and into the bathroom. A butler wouldn't be trained to do that. And he knew that going into it.

I couldn't agree more - I hope he also got an invitation not to come back (or at the very least not to come back without his own nurse).

The attorney he has retained is from a local "ambulance chaser" firm, but if some good does come from a lawsuit and having the laws changed to accommodate ADA situations on cruise ships, then it can turn out to be a positive story.

It does appear, however, that this gentleman was not exactly forthright in his communication with the cruise line people from day one concerning his needs and had expectations of the cruise ship personnel which he knew couldn't be met, like reading his mind.

I couldn't agree more - I hope he also got an invitation not to come back (or at the very least not to come back without his own nurse).

I hope the fact that they refunded the money instead of giving him a future cruise voucher indicates they are doing this;)

The attorney he has retained is from a local "ambulance chaser" firm, but if some good does come from a lawsuit and having the laws changed to accommodate ADA situations on cruise ships, then it can turn out to be a positive story.

It does appear, however, that this gentleman was not exactly forthright in his communication with the cruise line people from day one concerning his needs and had expectations of the cruise ship personnel which he knew couldn't be met, like reading his mind.

But Vic, they are an honorable family firm! I particularly like the commercial where Sam says that "the best thing a friend can do for an injured friend is to tell them to get a good lawyer"! I mean, we should always look to sue someone when we have been inconvenienced, right?

It took me awhile between the written report and the video to piece together what happened (and is still a bit of a guess). The report was not very clear about how he fell but seems to have been about the toilet height in the accessible cabin.

One thing we noticed in the accessible cabin we last had was that the toilet indeed is lower than ADA standards. For which we were glad because the high toilets are a fall hazard for my wife due to her balance problems. ADA toilet standards are a bit skewed toward paraplegics but work against other disabilities like hemiplegics. The short of it is they can't make standards for everyone because people aren't "standard".

To their credit RCCL as a line is very clear on the web site about toilet height in accessible cabins with a chart that shows each cabin and various dimensions. These cabins are loaded with very helpful features and judging form the video it is hard to deinitely say if this guy's condition was such that he could not be independent. They said he has traveled extensively and cruised before. He has a motorized wheelchair and there are models that can assist with bed transfer.

As far as the fall and putting him off the ship I suspect that he pulled the emergency call cord in the bathroom and when help arrived they went into defense mode and sent him to a doctor on shore - possibly for xray. But by itself a fall should not have ended his cruise. My wife falls a lot and has fallen on cruises so I guess we will have to be extra careful none of the crew sees if she has another spill.

considering how he purposely took advantage of the situation, they should have put him off the ship in a small life raft and let try to find his own way home.

Don

A little harsh. I've seen some drunk, obnoxious troublemakers on ships that should be considered before this guy.

It took me awhile between the written report and the video to piece together what happened (and is still a bit of a guess). The report was not very clear about how he fell but seems to have been about the toilet height in the accessible cabin.

One thing we noticed in the accessible cabin we last had was that the toilet indeed is lower than ADA standards. For which we were glad because the high toilets are a fall hazard for my wife due to her balance problems. ADA toilet standards are a bit skewed toward paraplegics but work against other disabilities like hemiplegics. The short of it is they can't make standards for everyone because people aren't "standard".

To their credit RCCL as a line is very clear on the web site about toilet height in accessible cabins with a chart that shows each cabin and various dimensions. These cabins are loaded with very helpful features and judging form the video it is hard to deinitely say if this guy's condition was such that he could not be independent. They said he has traveled extensively and cruised before. He has a motorized wheelchair and there are models that can assist with bed transfer.

As far as the fall and putting him off the ship I suspect that he pulled the emergency call cord in the bathroom and when help arrived they went into defense mode and sent him to a doctor on shore - possibly for xray. But by itself a fall should not have ended his cruise. My wife falls a lot and has fallen on cruises so I guess we will have to be extra careful none of the crew sees if she has another spill.

I don´t think the fall by itself has ended the cruise for him. I´d think it was more the entire situation with the fall only being the final occurance.

Had there not been a history with this passenger prior to the fall already during the cruise of not being able to care for himself and needing help with several things I doubt the fall would have resulted in this outcome.

But by itself a fall should not have ended his cruise. My wife falls a lot and has fallen on cruises so I guess we will have to be extra careful none of the crew sees if she has another spill.

I certainly hope the fall alone didnt end his cruise. Im a very active paraplegic who uses a extremely light ultralight wheelchair that is really "tippy". I have been known to dance and other things and flip over backwards once in a while.......I however, know how to "land" this fall and it never hurts but I could see where it would absolutely SHOCK crewmembers on board. Heck they about freaked out the last time I rode a wheelie down the steep gangway to get on the ship LOL!

I certainly hope that wouldnt get me sent against my will to the ships Dr or put off the ship? :confused::eek:

If thats the case, I will put the wheelie bars back on LOL

I certainly hope the fall alone didnt end his cruise. Im a very active paraplegic who uses a extremely light ultralight wheelchair that is really "tippy". I have been known to dance and other things and flip over backwards once in a while.......I however, know how to "land" this fall and it never hurts but I could see where it would absolutely SHOCK crewmembers on board. Heck they about freaked out the last time I rode a wheelie down the steep gangway to get on the ship LOL!

I certainly hope that wouldnt get me sent against my will to the ships Dr or put off the ship? :confused::eek:

Depends on if you are dressed doing this.:p

Ryan, if you look at the original thread, or what is left of it since a LOT got deleted, he had fellow passengers helping him transfer. He did a similar cruise in the past, where they assign roommates if you need one, and his roommate had to help him transfer. He should have trained staff with him so someone doesn't hurt him or get hurt themselves when they transfer him to bed or toilet. From reading the multiple articles that had been posted on the Celebrity board, while independent, I don't think this man has the ability to handle all his day to day needs on his own.

I would have loved to see you coming down the gangway doing a wheelie though!:eek::D

Archived