One bag travel/packing light on the cheap

Hi all

I have been trying to pack light but probably like ladies needing a number of outfits for formal and evening, I have alot of outfits due to my dancing and love of dressing up

I have my suits generally in silk and dy clean them

they are light to pack although reasonably bulky and therefore if i pack a large bag for a long cruise then am sweet.

I usually do my own underwear and t shirts (i wear t shirts under my formal shirts due to sweat)

and the rest I put out for laundry

If on princess though I get free laundry so it all goes out

I pack one pair of dance shoes and walking shoes, wearing my dress shoes

plenty of socks and undies and t shirts to allow dying

two pairs of jeans, and a few casual shirts along with a small array of eight dress shirts

I can fit it all in a small bag if necessay and lands usually at 18kg

this christmas is my test as I have to pack for well over 100 days and need to keep luggage down

never go more than one main bag as is too hard to handle

cheers

Greg:)

Please help! I'm leaving the 21st. of Oct. until 12 of Nov. 5 days pre cruise in Venice,family from Italy, will join us to celebrate our anniversary for the 5 days in Venice. Then, we will embark Cunard, Queen Victoria, for a 12 day cruise. 4 formals, 4 semi formals, 4 casual wear. Post cruise, 4 days in Paris. Must pack for cold,to warm,to hot and back to cold, with possibility of rainy days. Only allowed 20 kg. + 8kg. carry-on.

Flying from Athens to Paris with Algean airlines with very restricted baggage allowance( for every extra kg. = 15 euros ). Any suggestions or advise welcomed. Thanks!:eek::eek::eek:

Please help! I'm leaving the 21st. of Oct. until 12 of Nov. 5 days pre cruise in Venice,family from Italy, will join us to celebrate our anniversary for the 5 days in Venice. Then, we will embark Cunard, Queen Victoria, for a 12 day cruise. 4 formals, 4 semi formals, 4 casual wear. Post cruise, 4 days in Paris. Must pack for cold,to warm,to hot and back to cold, with possibility of rainy days. Only allowed 20 kg. + 8kg. carry-on.

Flying from Athens to Paris with Algean airlines with very restricted baggage allowance( for every extra kg. = 15 euros ). Any suggestions or advise welcomed. Thanks!:eek::eek::eek:

Pick two coordinating nuetrals (ie tan and black) and build your wardrobe around them.

For the semi and formals, bring one long black skirt and a couple of matching dressy tops, one pair of dressy black trousers that can also be worn on regular dinner nights with less dressy tops.

It won't be all that cold, bring a heavy sweater (wear on plane so it doesn't count against your allowance) and a couple long sleeve silk knit tops--they are very warm when layered in cold weather and good on their own in cool weather and take no room to pack. They also hand wash and drip dry quickly, and if you bring a black one, it can be paired with the black trousers and a beautiful necklace for semi-formal night. Bring short sleeve silk knit tops and/or tanks for warmer days. I travel a lot and live in washable silk knit tops, they are so easy to care for and pair with anything from jeans to formal skirts and trousers.

If a top doesn't match at least two bottoms, don't bring it. Better if it matches at least half of them. Use lightweight accessories like jewelry and scarfs to change your look.

Shoes are a huge space and weight killer. Wear your bulkiest/heaviest pair (comfortable all weather walkers) on the plane. Pack one pair of black dressy sandals that can be worn during the day or evening (no one will see your feet under your long skirt) and one pair of flip flops that you can wear to the pool/gym/around cabin/etc.

Bring a compact umbrella, will take little space and not weigh much.

Here is an example of the dressy sandals I'm talking about. I have these and they are very versatile, I wear with jeans and have worn with formal wear when I knew I'd be on my feet all night:

bandolino.jpg.81316d14ca52888a6cb82bb1c346fd7a.jpg

We are doing a ten day for New Years plus a couple days before in Florida to visit friends. I am figuring on a 26 inch suit case and two carry-ons for two people. We have 3 formal nights but I can re-wear one dress with different accessories, and a black, white and silver peasent skirt can be dressed up for one formal night with a silver top and dressed down with a black or white tank for at least one other day. Nice capris and two plain skirts with an assortment of tops should do for me. Tux, two shirts (send one out), chinos and plain shirts should do for DH. Bathings suits, shorts, cover up, tees. I figure I should be good. After five days, I will send a bag of laundry and a bit of dry cleaning if necessary.

The hair dryer on board is fine with me, I am pretty low maintenance that way. I also don't bring lots of makeup. Especially after a day or two in the sun, I will use very little. I bring a small pouch of assorted jewelry in my personal bag to assort my wardrobe. If I have exrta room, I would bring more shoes and another handbag.

There is no way I am doing my own laundry while on vacation!

Dear Ducklite,thank you! You make it sound soooo easy! When you say it's not going to be not so cold,what about Paris in November? I was planning on bringing a coat,gloves and scarf. Do you think it's too much? Thanks.

I would leave the coat at home and instead bring things you can layer. A long sleeved silk knit top worn with a warm wool sweater with a large pashmina used as a shawl or shawl/scarf combo depending on the temperature, earmuffs or a cap, and gloves will be as warm as a coat and good to right around freezing. If you keep your neck, hands, and head warm, the rest of you will stay warm.

I have a large pashmina that I also use as a blanket on the plane and also a wrap on formal night--very practical item that fills many uses. The cap/ear muffs and gloves can be tucked into the sweater pockets--they take no room.

Ducklite, thank you, I think I have just what you described,never thought about it until you mentioned! It's a beautiful heavy,hand made silk shawl given to me as a gift from one of my workers from India. THANKS:):)

I am a very light packer now - almost always a rolling carry-on and a backpack is fine for me.

I make clothes do double duty - I have a nice swimsuit cover-up that with a t-shirt underneath is a casual dress outfit. I wear things more than once if not stained or terribly wrinkled. I take one pair of running shoes with good arch support, one pair of water shoes that can double as casual shoes and one pair of plain black pumps IF I decide to go to the MDR.

I use the ship's soap and shampoo and I have small, reusable plastic containers for some toiletries such as hair conditioner (I prefer my brand over the ship's) and body wash and heavier moisturizer if I am traveling in winter (itchy skin.) I almost always have my hair cut fairly short now so I can use the ship's hairdryer, some of which are super wimpy. My makeup is also in mini size containers.

I NEVER send clothes to a ship's laundry as commercial dryers are generally hotter than what I use at home and shrinks clothing. 5 minutes of hand laundry in the shower or sink every other day eliminates most laundry issues and saves money. I have occasionally used a ship's self-serve laundry using my own liquid detergent, IF allowed. Ships have to be careful about what goes out in their gray water so please be mindful of the environment and don't assume you can use just any detergent. Though I really loathe synthetic materials and avoid them as much as possible, they are an option for versatility and long wear.

I don't bring much else other than soft cover books which I read and leave in the ship's library and a small digital camera. I don't need power strips, plastic toiletry bags, pop-up hampers, etc.

For me, packing light is a quest and I really enjoy the challenge, but it won't work for everyone. Try it once and see how it goes.

I'm motivated to pack light not because of money but because when I travel I often need to handle my own luggage. (For example, on my cruise departing Rome in October, I'm planning to take public transportation down to the port.)

I love clothes and it's difficult for me to pack light, but I started making a dedicated effort back in 2006 and I do a little better on every trip. I take longer cruises mostly (and in Europe, not Caribbean) so I need more than just a bathing suit and coverup in the daytime. Still, I'm down to one medium (24") suitcase and one carry-on that can attach to the suitcase handle or be carried as a backpack. The key is to scale back and to miniaturize.

What to scale back on:

Shoes -- I usually take 4 pair because I need 2 for all the walking (I need to rotate).

Purses -- I for everyday/touring off-ship, 1 for evening

Jewelry -- I only wear earrings and a watch onshore; only bring a few pieces of nice jewelry for evenings

Books -- My Kindle is a godsend, because I read a lot. However, you can always get books at the ship's library too.

Clothing -- Mix and match items. Bring fewer evening clothes. For example, I bring 1 long black skirt and 2 different jackets/tops to wear with it. Same for dressy casual -- 2 pairs of black pants and different tops to mix and match. The pants are washable. Don't bring "what if" items.

Other gear -- Don't take multiple jackets and sweaters. One all-purpose rain jacket with a zip-out liner covers most situations. When traveling in fall or spring, I toss in some lightweight gloves and some silk long underwear (top and bottoms) that really seems to work to keep me warm.

Extra items -- These easily add up. Some things I just leave at home, such as: blowdryer, over-the-door organizer, pillow, pop-up hamper, fan, coffee maker, foam mattress topper (I kid you not, many times I've read posts from those who carry all these and more...)

What to miniaturize:

Cosmetics -- Bring smaller sizes of things. I've been known to put foundation, face cream, eye makeup remover, etc into smaller bottles. And, do you really need 8 eyeshadow shades?

Toiletries --Same goes here. Bring small sizes of shampoo & other hair products, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.

Electronics -- Look for a travel-sized curling iron/straightener (and make sure it's dual voltage if you travel overseas), a small power strip if you need one, etc. Luckily many things just keep getting smaller already -- iPods, laptops, cameras....

Other things-- I take a smaller-than-normal wallet (take out all the cards you won't need), hairbrush, razor.....anything you can think of to save space.

I'm motivated to pack light not because of money but because when I travel I often need to handle my own luggage. (For example, on my cruise departing Rome in October, I'm planning to take public transportation down to the port.)

I love clothes and it's difficult for me to pack light, but I started making a dedicated effort back in 2006 and I do a little better on every trip. I take longer cruises mostly (and in Europe, not Caribbean) so I need more than just a bathing suit and coverup in the daytime. Still, I'm down to one medium (24") suitcase and one carry-on that can attach to the suitcase handle or be carried as a backpack. The key is to scale back and to miniaturize.

What to scale back on:

Shoes -- I usually take 4 pair because I need 2 for all the walking (I need to rotate).

Purses -- I for everyday/touring off-ship, 1 for evening

Jewelry -- I only wear earrings and a watch onshore; only bring a few pieces of nice jewelry for evenings

Books -- My Kindle is a godsend, because I read a lot. However, you can always get books at the ship's library too.

Clothing -- Mix and match items. Bring fewer evening clothes. For example, I bring 1 long black skirt and 2 different jackets/tops to wear with it. Same for dressy casual -- 2 pairs of black pants and different tops to mix and match. The pants are washable. Don't bring "what if" items.

Other gear -- Don't take multiple jackets and sweaters. One all-purpose rain jacket with a zip-out liner covers most situations. When traveling in fall or spring, I toss in some lightweight gloves and some silk long underwear (top and bottoms) that really seems to work to keep me warm.

Extra items -- These easily add up. Some things I just leave at home, such as: blowdryer, over-the-door organizer, pillow, pop-up hamper, fan, coffee maker, foam mattress topper (I kid you not, many times I've read posts from those who carry all these and more...)

What to miniaturize:

Cosmetics -- Bring smaller sizes of things. I've been known to put foundation, face cream, eye makeup remover, etc into smaller bottles. And, do you really need 8 eyeshadow shades?

Toiletries --Same goes here. Bring small sizes of shampoo & other hair products, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.

Electronics -- Look for a travel-sized curling iron/straightener (and make sure it's dual voltage if you travel overseas), a small power strip if you need one, etc. Luckily many things just keep getting smaller already -- iPods, laptops, cameras....

Other things-- I take a smaller-than-normal wallet (take out all the cards you won't need), hairbrush, razor.....anything you can think of to save space.

Very good suggestions, expecially about miniaturizing and leaving "What ifs" at home.

Several years ago I had some very good advice from a backpacker: When packing, watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves.

Good ideas. I took a 3 week land vacation in my 24" bag and a daypack. My 24" bag is a softsided bag with backpack straps so it is easy to maneuver onto busses, trains, vaporetti, and up stairs and over cobblestones. A little washing in the bathroom of some items is necessary. I had one pair of hiking shoes and a pair of water sandals that could also double as my footwear when wearing my highly packable LBD for dinner. First stop in town is to hit up the local shops to pick up some toiletries, contact lens solution and makeup - one of the good things about not being wedded to particular stuff. I mean, it's not going to kill me to try something different for a few weeks...I can stuff this into little spots in my bag or my daypack. I carry my Kindle to keep me occupied. Depending on how much I have in my daypack, I'll either travel with my P&S camera or my DSLR with it's 18-200 lens. I always carry my little Motorola RAZR phone, since it's an unlocked quad band and I can buy SIM cards for it wherever I land. I have a nice little Monster Outlets To Go 4 outlet power strip that I carry. It is tiny - 6.25" x 2.25" x 1.8", so it takes up very little space.

Yes, you do have to make concessions when you want to travel light. But, once you get used to it, you'll never go back!!!

I prefer to pack light. I don't have so much to carry around, less to unpack and repack. I am on vacation! If it doesn't have dual purpose I really evaluate if I need it. Everything must go with at least 2-3 things so I can mix and match. I get a lot of mileage out of a black skirt with various tops. My swim cover also does double as a dinner outfit. I wear sneakers (heaviest) for walking and gym, 1 flip flops for pool (sometimes ones with sparkle that can double with cover up for dinner), and a low heel dressier shoe that IS mt dress shoe (also goes with nicer sundress). Shorts with a tops that rinse easy and mix well. Light jewelry and scarves to dress up black skirt. 2 swimsuits-one to wear and one to dry. One hat that folds into beachy bag for excursions. A tiny purse for evening. No purse from home. I put my I'd and money, etc in small coin type purse size that goes in other bag. I sacrifice and use their hairdryer since I don't want to waste space with mine. If I don't like the one in the room I ask for another one. I can live with it. Makeup limited to moisturizer (spf), mascara and blush. I live with their soap and shampoo. The one thing I have to bring is my own heavy conditioner for my hair and lotion to moisturize skin. I have never had anyone tell me they saw my outfit before and I couldn't tell

what anyone else wore before. I feel like I still have a fantastic time and pack lighter. I also limit snacks to one thing and one book. There is a library. I use a small pull suitcase and my large excursion bag for it all. I do put in a rolled up grocery vinyl bag in case I find treasures shopping, just in case. Also works for dirty things. I never use laundry service.

This topic is of great interest to me. we are going on a 10 day vacation ( 7 day cruise included in that) and I want to take only carry on's this time. Two for me and two for my husband. I am the WORST at overpacking and have decided this time we are not going to waste time on checked bags. I've read all your replys and nowhere do I see how anyone would manage to pack a mans suit in a carryon size suitcase. Is this possible?...we have two formal nights and we always like to go to the MDR. I know I can manage all the other things even shoes but his suit is the one thing I cant figure out how to pack. Its not possible right?

This topic is of great interest to me. we are going on a 10 day vacation ( 7 day cruise included in that) and I want to take only carry on's this time. Two for me and two for my husband. I am the WORST at overpacking and have decided this time we are not going to waste time on checked bags. I've read all your replys and nowhere do I see how anyone would manage to pack a mans suit in a carryon size suitcase. Is this possible?...we have two formal nights and we always like to go to the MDR. I know I can manage all the other things even shoes but his suit is the one thing I cant figure out how to pack. Its not possible right?

Not being a man, I can't comment on whether or not it is possible to put a suite and necessary shoes for a man into a carryon. Now, have you thought about doing formal wear rental from the ship? That would definitely make packing easier!!!

I travel a lot for work. In the winter I live in medium weight wool suits. I fold the jacket and pants up and pack in my suitcase. When I arrive, I hang them up. If they have any wrinkles left I hang them in the bathroom while I shower. I've never had to iron one--wool doesn't hold wrinkles. I wear knit tops underneath, so no wrinkles there either.

In the summer I wear woven blouses (like men's dress shirts.) I heavy starch them and pack them in dry cleaning bags and they usually only need a light touch up before wearing.

See if this article helps you: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Travel/easy_packing_tips_for_trips.htm

There are also folding methods on youtube.com

5326jan

OMG that website and the information are AMAZING!!!...I have it saved on my computer now for future reference. Never would have thought to fold a jacket that way but will try it for the upcoming vacation. thank you so much.

I actually didnt think to rent the formal wear on board but that also is an excellent idea for my husband. Do you have any idea what it costs on a Princess ship to rent formal wear for a guy?

thanks so much for excellent suggestions!!

I still don't see how to get all your toiletries for a longer trip in your carry-on luggage. We've got a 34-day cruise coming up, plus a few days extra in Rome, and there is no way I can limit myself to 3-oz of shampoo/conditioner, mouthwash, lotion, etc. I can probably squeeze my clothes into a carry-on, and pack most of the toiletries in the checked bags!

Ok you people are an inspiration to me, I AM going to pack lighter for our next cruise in Nov. 14 days, but I AM NOT going to overpack, less is more , right ??I realize it will be a challange and I have tried before , but this time I mean it. After all there is no cruise law that says you can not ware something twice, right ?? I usually lay everything I want to take out on the guest room bed, then I try to put a lot of it back in the closet, . While I was putting away laundry this morning , I was just looking through my closet , thinking well I want to take this and this and why not this and before I knew it , it was ALOT of stuff. So I need to cut back, and remember that less is more....... wish me luck . I should be able to do this , I am not a fussy person. And I am going to put that website on my favorites list too.

Cori

I still don't see how to get all your toiletries for a longer trip in your carry-on luggage. We've got a 34-day cruise coming up, plus a few days extra in Rome, and there is no way I can limit myself to 3-oz of shampoo/conditioner, mouthwash, lotion, etc. I can probably squeeze my clothes into a carry-on, and pack most of the toiletries in the checked bags!

Normally I only travel 5-7 days and it's easy to pack enough of the essentials into my 3-1-1 bag except mouthwash. I just skip that or get it from the hotel for free. (I get my small toothpaste that way as well.)

On our Europe trip next year I'll pack shampoo and conditioner in my 3-1-1 bag and use that until we board, then switch to the L'Occitane products the ship supplies. Same for soap/shower gel. A 1.5 ounce tube of face cream lasts me about two months, and three ounces of face wash lasts equally as long if I'm sparing with it. (I have a few sample packets I've been saving in case I need just a bit more.)

I'll bring a small travel hairspray but pick up a large can in Rome before we start the cruise, and abandon anything left over before we fly home. 1.5 ounces of hair cream lasts me well over a month. Deoderant is a stick, I'll bring a new one. Toothpaste I'll bring along a couple small hotel tubes and buy more when I get to Rome.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking like this....we each ( me and husband) get TWO carry on's EACH....so if I split up my shampoo/conditioner among the four carry ons I would have 12oz of shampoo....correct??...and that would do us for 10 days.....I already have the small clear travel bottles.....that could work for lotion as well as any other liquid .....split it up between carry on bags......just a thought...

I dont know if I could manage with just carry on luggage if the trip was any longer but to the caribbean on a ship I SHOULD be able to do this.

right?:o

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking like this....we each ( me and husband) get TWO carry on's EACH....so if I split up my shampoo/conditioner among the four carry ons I would have 12oz of shampoo....correct??...and that would do us for 10 days.....I already have the small clear travel bottles.....that could work for lotion as well as any other liquid .....split it up between carry on bags......just a thought...

I dont know if I could manage with just carry on luggage if the trip was any longer but to the caribbean on a ship I SHOULD be able to do this.

Unfortunately, the 3-1-1 rule is one bag per PERSON not per CARRY ON. So you will only have two quart-sized bags to work with.

See the good suggestions above by ducklite. I can also go for about a week just using 1 "3-1-1" bag.

If you are flying, you each get one carry-on and one personal bag (laptop, backpack, tote bag, large purse, etc). But you each can only take 1 quart size ziplock bag containing items 3 oz or less per container period. It is by person, not bag. If you are flying internationally, you get a free checked bag as well. In a checked bag, you can take as much liq as you want as long as the total weight of the bag is 50lb or under (without paying excess baggage charge).

My hair is chin length and I can get by for 12 days with my liquids allowance (3-1-1) of shampoo & conditioner. If I must (or want to) fly carry-on, I need to make plans to get toiletries wherever I'm traveling. It's a trade-off - either I travel light and buy stuff en route, or I check a bag. I've done both - depends on the trip.

For laundry in my hotel room - I love Fels Naptha soap. It's a solid - can carry -on! And it works very well.

Archived