One bag travel/packing light on the cheap

I still don't see how to get all your toiletries for a longer trip in your carry-on luggage. We've got a 34-day cruise coming up, plus a few days extra in Rome, and there is no way I can limit myself to 3-oz of shampoo/conditioner, mouthwash, lotion, etc. I can probably squeeze my clothes into a carry-on, and pack most of the toiletries in the checked bags!

The only thing I carry is my contact lens solution. I have yet to find what I use over in Europe. Now, I might cheat and check my carry-on if I have to bring my solution, since it is the ONLY ONE that the TSA has issues with and will only let it through 50% of the time (Clear Care). But, I'm still doing "carry on" in that I'll pick it up at baggage claim at the airport and then I'm doing all the carrying. But, I'm still doing packing in a carryon. If it wasn't for the TSA smurfs and their totally idiotic rules, I'd be bringing the bag on board with me. As it is, I don't use that as an excuse to bring yet another cabin bag with me - it's still just my Osprey Porter or Sojourn bag and my daypack.

That's one thing to remember - just because it's a "carry on", you don't have to actually carry it on. If you can do it for free and you don't mind, you can still check that bag. You don't have to worry about fitting it in the overhead on the plane that way. BUT, once you arrive, you still have the freedom that having a small bag affords you.

For the rest of my toiletries, I'll seek out a store or two to buy my necessities. It takes no room in my bags, doesn't kill me, and I can just leave behind what I don't use. There's nothing wrong with toting the extra bag of goodies you bought at the store - it's just like any other shopping bags you'll bring back to the ship from port!!!

But, I'm still doing "carry on" in that I'll pick it up at baggage claim at the airport and then I'm doing all the carrying. But, I'm still doing packing in a carryon. If it wasn't for the TSA smurfs and their totally idiotic rules, I'd be bringing the bag on board with me.]/quote]

I had to travel back when the rule was NO carry-on liquids. So I took a soft backpack inside a wheeled backpack. When I got to the counter I checked the wheely with all my liquids in a quart plastic bag and carried the soft one onboard. When I got to baggage claim I had to search for my suitcase. Funny that several airlines recognized the description, and an hour later it appeared. Not long after, the 3-1-1 rule went into effect and I always wondered if there were a lot of travelers like me checking almost empty cases.

For those who want long trips- J. R. Liggett bar shampoo has come out with a new "Ultra" bar that is supposed to be for clothes and shampoo. A lot like the Dr. Bronner, but my hair likes Liggett. Haven't tried Ultra yet, my favorites are original and teatree/hemp. I don't like the damage formula and definitely wouldn't use it on clothes.

This topic is of great interest to me. we are going on a 10 day vacation ( 7 day cruise included in that) and I want to take only carry on's this time. Two for me and two for my husband. I am the WORST at overpacking and have decided this time we are not going to waste time on checked bags. I've read all your replys and nowhere do I see how anyone would manage to pack a mans suit in a carryon size suitcase. Is this possible?...we have two formal nights and we always like to go to the MDR. I know I can manage all the other things even shoes but his suit is the one thing I cant figure out how to pack. Its not possible right?

My DH and I pack a 20" carry-on each plus a backpack, etc. for each. He packs dress pants. He wears or carries on his arm (on the plane and onto the ship) a black or navy blazer. It works with dark pants for formal night. I pack black dress pants and 1 or 2 dressy/sparkly tops which do for "formal night." We have done this on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, and Carnival. Works for us!

Good luck "downsizing"--it is very freeing.

I thought I'd bring this up for those of you thinking about starting to go carryon only...

If you are using a rolling bag as your carryon, PLEASE measure the bag yourself for the actual length!! Some bags advertise their measurement as 21" when it is more like 24". What they do is just measure the physical bag, not the length from wheels-touching-the-floor to top-of handle. The FAA is getting more militant about what the airlines allow as cabin baggage. Over on the Flyertalk website forums, there has been talk about having their bags measured at the gate and having to check them at the gate, even though they have brought the same bag onboard for years. Some airlines just "valet check" the bag (aka "pink tag" and you pick it up in the jetway) without charge, some actually check it and you have to pay. Double-check what your airline has as their dimensions and check them against your bag. And, if you have one of those "expandable" bags, be sure that the expanded size width is still within the allowable!!!

I thought I'd bring this up for those of you thinking about starting to go carryon only...

If you are using a rolling bag as your carryon, PLEASE measure the bag yourself for the actual length!!

I'm about to get a backpack specifically for my carryon luggage. I plan to take it out, measure it with the straps, and then send it back if it doesn't meet specs. It will defeat the purpose of buying it if they start making me check it.

I'm about to get a backpack specifically for my carryon luggage. I plan to take it out, measure it with the straps, and then send it back if it doesn't meet specs. It will defeat the purpose of buying it if they start making me check it.

I agree!!! That's why I posted. Be sure to measure your bag when it is fully populated, including any exterior pockets.

My Eagle Creek Tarmac 22" is actually longer than that - more like 24". I am shopping for another roller that will be compliant with European airlines (the 55cm length that seems to be standard is less than 22"), so I'll probably be measuring 20" bags.

With everyone trying to avoid bag fees by carrying on, overhead space is at a real premium. Airlines have no choice but to vigorously enforce the bag size that they submitted to the FAA as part of their flight rules. And, PLEASE, don't ever put your second bag, regardless how small, in the overhead. It belongs under the seat in front of you!!! If everyone follows this, there might be more space in the overheads for a few more bags :D

Great posts!

And, if you have one of those "expandable" bags, be sure that the expanded size width is still within the allowable!!!

I've seen lots of folks tripped up with this one lately. Their carry-ons are simply too wide to fit in the bins and they have to hand them off to be checked (gate checked or regular checked, depending). You need to be aware that a fully packed and expanded case may NOT fit in the bin, even if it makes it past the "carry-on police" at the gate.

And, PLEASE, don't ever put your second bag, regardless how small, in the overhead. It belongs under the seat in front of you!!! If everyone follows this, there might be more space in the overheads for a few more bags :D

As a relatively frequent flyer, I SO agree. On almost every flight I take, I'm allowed to board right after first class due to my FF status. I sit and watch person after person put not only 2 carry-ons in the overhead, but also their coat, hat, umbrella, what-have-you. No wonder there's never any space left when most people board!

I used to travel for business. No more, thankfully. I do keep my FF status up enough that I also can board after the Firsties. It amazes me all the junk that people try to stuff in the overheads. AND, the time it takes them to stow all that stuff! I especially get nasty when someone puts their coat in the overhead NEXT TO THEIR BAG instead of on top of it. People, really?????It sure seems that the vast majority of airline passengers are trying to get away with more and more now.

So, to our newly indoctrinated carry-on crew - PLEASE - make sure you follow the instructions for your bags when you board. Oh, if you happen to get a flight on a regional jet, chances are you will have to valet check your carryon; most of them have VERY small overheads and won't fit more than a small daypack.

I sit and watch person after person put not only 2 carry-ons in the overhead, but also their coat, hat, umbrella, what-have-you. No wonder there's never any space left when most people board!

I don't have a problem with coats in overheads as long as they are placed in after the luggage so as to not take up space that a bag could use. Same thing with hats. And umbrellas HAVE to go in overheads, there's no place else to store them and they are like canes, they take no room. Although why people don't just pack small "tote" style umbrellas that will fit in the carry on is beyond me.

Because of our FF status, we do get two checked pieces of luggage each for free. We usually take one 24-25' bag each and one smaller bag between us that holds bulkier object, like shoes, snorkel equipment, etc.

This works well for us and I know we are lucky to be able to travel like this.

But, last winter we took 7 grandkids on a cruise and not on our preferred (FF) airline because the price was so much better on the other airline.

We did not want to pay the baggage charges (I think $25 per bag) for 9 people, so everyone packed in carry-on bags, including us. It was the first time in many years that I'd packed in a carryon.

This was for a 5 day cruise plus 3 extra days in Florida--8 days total--on a ship with no laundry machines.

I actually didn't have that much trouble with my packing. I wore my walking shoes and took only one pair of comfortable sandals and one pair of heels--normally I'd have at least two more heels/wedges--but I got along fine.

Everyone had one smaller tote/backpack as well as their suitcase. My personal item was quite large, but still fit under the seat. It held medicines, valuables, etc.

I do have quite a few jersey/lt. weight knits that pack like a dream and I managed to also get in one of my cocktail dresses. With three knit skirts, the dress and one black pant, and various tops, I was fine for all the dining nights.

BTW, we thought the kids would sit through one of the long MDR dinners and then not want to again; Wrong! they loved the MDR and we ate there every night.

With all these kids this was a very active cruise, to say the least, so we packed accordingly. I did handwash some of my underwear, wore some things more than once (if not dirty or sweaty); we wore jackets and sweaters on the plane.

I bring a curling iron but never a hair dryer, and the small amounts of toiletries. Once we got to Florida we stopped at a store for large sizes of sun screen and other toilet articles as needed.

I have to say it was quite wonderful to just have the small suitcases and totes to wheel around--the kids were each responsible for their own, and even the 5-year-old was able to handle his own luggage.

Though I prefer to have a little more along, especially since we usually do 10-14 day cruises, it wasn't all that bad to be forced to limit what I take. Shoes are the one thing I like more variety in, but the three pairs were sufficient, just not as much fun!

So many good suggestions here about traveling light. I am also trying to plan a cruise wardrobe that will be worn...mixed and matched so that I don't come home with unworn clothing. I'd like to add another reference:

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2011/06/back-to-roots-of-vivienne-files-part-7.html

This blog has a general rule regarding travel wardrobes, where you never pack more than 15 items of real clothing...meaning that swimsuits, underwear, bras, pajamas, etc., don't count toward your 15 items. The blog shows what she packed for 6 weeks of travel. Granted, the blog talks about business, but I have taken this for inspiration to figure out my cruise wardrobe. It is what I have been working on lately on my Earth thread, if anyone is interested.

So many good suggestions here about traveling light. I am also trying to plan a cruise wardrobe that will be worn...mixed and matched so that I don't come home with unworn clothing. I'd like to add another reference:

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2011/06/back-to-roots-of-vivienne-files-part-7.html

This blog has a general rule regarding travel wardrobes, where you never pack more than 15 items of real clothing...meaning that swimsuits, underwear, bras, pajamas, etc., don't count toward your 15 items. The blog shows what she packed for 6 weeks of travel. Granted, the blog talks about business, but I have taken this for inspiration to figure out my cruise wardrobe. It is what I have been working on lately on my Earth thread, if anyone is interested.

An excellent list and helpful with the illustration. Now I'm inspired to pare down even more!

I love Eileen Fisher, but the pieces can be pricey. Another option that works well for me and is less expensive (though not as durable) are the J Jill "Wearever" collections. I took mostly basics from their collection, mixed and matched with some of my own pieces, for a 2-week trip to Japan in one small suitcase (since we were using the train to travel from point to point). Worked out great!

Only problem with the 15-piece rule is that one generally needs to add a piece or two for evening (if planning to participate in the dressier nights).

Eileen Fisher is pricey, but lasts FOREVER! I have pieces that I've been wearing for over 10 years that aren't ready to be retired yet. Keep an eye for end of season sales. The designs are timeless so you can just put it away until the following year. At 50% off, Eileen Fisher becomes suddenly affordable. :D

My problem with the packing list that was suggested is that not all of those colors are mix-and-match. I don't like brown and black together, and would have have gone with a more neutral stone/ivory. I also would have had another pair of pants--the Eileen Fisher ankle pant in stretch cotton is the best wardrobe investment ever. They are soooo comfortable, launder beautifully, and last forever--I've got six pair! Yes, they are pricey (they are up to $138, when I bought my first pair they were $108) but I figure that I've worn my oldest pair at least 250 times over the past 10+ years and think they've still got a year or two left in them, so they were well worth the investment.

An excellent list and helpful with the illustration. Now I'm inspired to pare down even more!

I love Eileen Fisher, but the pieces can be pricey. Another option that works well for me and is less expensive (though not as durable) are the J Jill "Wearever" collections. I took mostly basics from their collection, mixed and matched with some of my own pieces, for a 2-week trip to Japan in one small suitcase (since we were using the train to travel from point to point). Worked out great!

Only problem with the 15-piece rule is that one generally needs to add a piece or two for evening (if planning to participate in the dressier nights).

The blog writer really likes expensive clothing...BUT she also has a philosophy of having a minimalist wardrobe in general...trying to find pieces that you LOVE and that you LOVE to wear...and possibly spending more on individual pieces, BUT since you end up wearing your clothes so many times because of the minimalist attitude...you end up with smaller cost per wear.

Even the blogger ended up with 16 pieces for that 6-week travel. And depending on the specifics of your travel (formal, shore excursions, etc.), you may have to stretch the 15 pieces. I have figured out a cruise wardrobe for myself for my 7-night cruise that is 14 pieces including one formal. It is a work in progress...but I could take it as I have figured it out so far and have outfits for day and evening.

The real key to it all is to have a mix and match wardrobe...relying more heavily on the tops being the greatest variety as that is what most people will recall from day to day...and the thing that will show up in photographs as being more repetitive.

Again Eileen saves the day :D

She does a stretch wool crepe knit every year. I've got a long skirt, tank shell, and long shawl collared cardigan (no buttons) in a more open knit wool that pair together (all black) and with bling-y jewelry and heels can take you through a dressy (though not formal) dinner.

She also has black silk trousers most years, and always has stretch silk knit tops that pair together and can easily be dressed up for semi-formal. The best part is that those silk knit tops hand wash, line dry overnight, and are ready to wear again in the morning. I use them when I travel on business under my suits, they take up almost no room and weight only a few ounces to pack.

All of those items I also wear with other items for a more casual look. The black wool knit skirt goes great with a pink twinset for days, the black cardigan goes with everything including jeans--actually goes great with those! The tops also mix and match.

Again Eileen saves the day :D

She does a stretch wool crepe knit every year. I've got a long skirt, tank shell, and long shawl collared cardigan (no buttons) in a more open knit wool that pair together (all black) and with bling-y jewelry and heels can take you through a dressy (though not formal) dinner.

She also has black silk trousers most years, and always has stretch silk knit tops that pair together and can easily be dressed up for semi-formal. The best part is that those silk knit tops hand wash, line dry overnight, and are ready to wear again in the morning. I use them when I travel on business under my suits, they take up almost no room and weight only a few ounces to pack.

We think alike here. I agree, and the silk jersey items are great for travel. They pack down into a very small size and are practically wrinkle-free. I always purchase when items are on sale, and luckily, our local store calls me when they have sample sales. Those are the best! The majority of my travel wardrobe is Eileen Fisher.

I prefer the EF silk knit basic pieces to the wool for skirts, shells, etc (I find wool hot unless it's absolutely freezing), although I do like her lighter-weight wool sweaters.

The only problem I have with keeping pieces for years is that I get pulls on the silk knit pieces and the wool knits tend to stretch out over time. :(

That said, the pieces do look great and last well. They're great for European travel, especially business travel.

For the sort of shore excursions I tend to take in the Med and other places (lots of climbing over ruins), they're a little dressy.

I prefer the EF silk knit basic pieces to the wool for skirts, shells, etc (I find wool hot unless it's absolutely freezing), although I do like her lighter-weight wool sweaters.

The only problem I have with keeping pieces for years is that I get pulls on the silk knit pieces and the wool knits tend to stretch out over time. :(

That said, the pieces do look great and last well. They're great for European travel, especially business travel.

For the sort of shore excursions I tend to take in the Med and other places (lots of climbing over ruins), they're a little dressy.

I love her linens, too, and almost all of them are washable. But they do need to be ironed...

The only things I've had problems with pulls in are the really, really fine linen, cashmere, and cotton knit sweaters. I definitely had to stop wearing my charm bracelet with those...

I so do like Eileen Fisher. I have a pair of pants, leggings, and a LBD. I also sprung for one of her very light King blankets. It's my summer go-to for sleeping when it's hot.

Anyway, if you like EF, keep checking out Garnet Hill online. They carry a good selection of EF basics and they do have sales on them!

And, I have a few JJill Wearever pieces. I don't mind paying a steep price for something that is classic and well made. I have a few pieces from the OLD Banana Republic (back before they were bought by The Gap). Classic travel clothes. I have one good old favorite faded olive green Tshirt that I remember buying from BR probably around 1984!!! I still wear it out with a pair of jeans...

My suggestion is "polyester"..I have suggested it in another discussion and was kind of put down by several people..They thought it was tacky...but we went on a 21 day trip to Europe we were able to bring one bag each! M'y husband and I and the other couple intentionally packed polyester clothing...I would like to know if these people who thought polyester clothing was tacky could tell which items were from upscale Talbots vs the items I picked up at JCP or Sears! My husband 's brand name golf shirts and EMS men's hiking underwear (dries fast).

Our poly blouses, palazzo pants both long and capri length served us well...as did the poly shorts for the guys...we hung our wash over clothes line on shower..hung the blouses and golf shirts on hangers...dried wrinkle free...these items were thin and lightweight..so we fit lots in our one bag...poly is less expensive lots of times..so good luck shopping packing your one bag!

I don't like polyester. You can't wash perspiration odor out of it, and it's really hot in warm climates. Some of my logo blouses for work are a cottom/poly blend, and while they are easy care, they are soooo hot that I'd rather press the cotton blouses in the warmer months. I've also got a few cotton polo's, and they don't wrinkle and travel perfectly.

Geez, we never have run into any issues with the newer polyester clothing...the golf shirts wick away wetness and our blouses are not a cotton blend--cotton stains...we had to hand wash on our 3 week trip..just quick rinse in sink..hang up..no stain, odor, wrinkles, dried overnight...one night in Italy they lost our (2 couples) luggage...good thing we all had poly clothing--we had to wash it and wear again the next day! Trip mates commented on how good our clothing looked! They all knew our circumstances...trying to help those looking to pack less...

I have not had any issues with the polyester clothing that wicks away moisture. I have used them for 3 or 4 years now and I find them wonderful for cruising because they are comfortable, lightweight, and dry quickly if you want to hand wash them like I do.

Shak

I don't like polyester. You can't wash perspiration odor out of it, and it's really hot in warm climates. Some of my logo blouses for work are a cottom/poly blend, and while they are easy care, they are soooo hot that I'd rather press the cotton blouses in the warmer months. I've also got a few cotton polo's, and they don't wrinkle and travel perfectly.

I agree! I have always been a believer in Microfiber. It packs well, easy to wash and dries quickly. On my last cruise, however I found that wearing synthetics was soooo much hotter than the cotton shirts that I brought. I will rethink the wardrobe next time I go to hot climates and take polos and cotton tees. Lesson learned!:rolleyes:

Archived