Princess fare decrease for past passengers

Louise34

Exactly what happened to us. We recently booked an Hawaii cruise for November, 2012. Then my wife came home and said some friends had booked an Alaska cruise for July, 2012 and she wanted to join them. So, we booked that too. Then with all the excitement, I started thinking I can't wait until July of next year to go on a cruise, so we booked a Panama cruise for this October. Still seems like too long to wait.

That's awesome!! I'm going to have to talk to my husband and tell him we should really book at least one or two other cruises before the Oct 2012 B2B... especially since all the cool kids are doing it!! :D Wish me luck!!

Our cruise for next March just got reduced by $220 pp. Now that's a great reduction. Thank you Princess!! Pays to be a past guest. :D Our friends still have to pay full price. :(

Check the Princess website, log in, and check your cruise fare. It decreased by $200 for a past passenger. Just contacted my TA and got the decrease on a Feb. cruise. Good luck.

Just noticed that earlier when browsing my itinery. I called them and they took off $200.00 on my mid June Cruise.

They even moved me up to Aloha deck from Baja. Not sure if that is a + or not, but don't have to walk far for the back pool area. hahahah

That's awesome!! I'm going to have to talk to my husband and tell him we should really book at least one or two other cruises before the Oct 2012 B2B... especially since all the cool kids are doing it!! :D Wish me luck!!
Good luck! I asked my wife what she thought about doing a cruise this June or July. She rolled her eyes and didn't say anything. I guess that means I should start looking to see what is available.

We took advantage of one small price drop ($40PP) for for our August cruise. Our final payment date was May 30th. I heard that if the price drops after the final payment date then you can get the equivalent amount as an on board credit. Is that true?

We took advantage of one small price drop ($40PP) for for our August cruise. Our final payment date was May 30th. I heard that if the price drops after the final payment date then you can get the equivalent amount as an on board credit. Is that true?

Not usually. If you see a price decrease after final payment, it pays to check to see if they will refund the difference, but don't hold your breathe. Many (most) times price drops after final payment are in the form of flash promotions and are for 'new bookings only' and you can't benefit from them if you are already booked. But as said, it doesn't hurt to try, all they can say is no. But Princess doesn't usually refund in the form of shipboard credit.

It pays to check several times during the day! Checking last night, our category dropped by $100 pp. Early this morning, the price jumped! What?!?!? Checked it again after lunch and got a $400 total refund! Woo hoo!!! :eek:

Is this price reduction supposed to be on certain cruises only? Or on all cruises for past passengers?

I suspect the prices go up and/or down based on how well a particular sailing is selling. Further, how well particular cabin categories are selling/filling up on any given sailing likely also plays a part.

For instance ... we are doing the Canal in the Fall and already have had three price drops for a total of $550/person. A very similar itinerary departing the next day shows all categories waitlisted ... and I don't there have been any price drops. No need for them, as the ship seems to be selling out at the same prices offered for the past 4-5 months or more.

I doubt Princess will ever lower their published fare to the discounted fare I got from my T/A.....

Bob

Bob, that is one reason we have never found price reductions for our cruises. We have paid much less than Princess rate to begin with, even after a price decrease. So, it means I don't have to keep checking prices every day as we know right from the start we are getting the best price that's going to be offered. But if by chance there is a price reduction that is less than that amount, a good discount TA will also give you the lesser price, and still give you their discount. ;)

Bob, that is one reason we have never found price reductions for our cruises. We have paid much less than Princess rate to begin with, even after a price decrease. So, it means I don't have to keep checking prices every day as we know right from the start we are getting the best price that's going to be offered. But if by chance there is a price reduction that is less than that amount, a good discount TA will also give you the lesser price, and still give you their discount. ;)

Exactly what my T/A has told me.....:):):)

Bob

Toto, I need to understnd your point exactly, as you are addressing a question I have always thought about but never pursued. For example,

if the Princess fare is $1000 and your discount TA gives you a price of $850, you would NOT pursue a further reduction if the Princess fare dropped to $900, but you would pursue an adjustment if the Princess fare dropped to $800. Is that accurate?

Toto, I need to understnd your point exactly, as you are addressing a question I have always thought about but never pursued. For example,

if the Princess fare is $1000 and your discount TA gives you a price of $850, you would NOT pursue a further reduction if the Princess fare dropped to $900, but you would pursue an adjustment if the Princess fare dropped to $800. Is that accurate?

If the Princess price drops at all from the time you book, that usually means that a good discount TA can get that better price with Princess, AND discount the fare by their discount rate. (now admittedly, I would not contact a discount TA to lower my price if the price dropped $40-$50, but a significant amount I would). I have only seen a cabin we have booked drop in price once in all of these years on the Princess website...............we must book popular sailings and staterooms is all I can figure. ;) But we did receive the lesser price plus the discount. Any good discount travel agent can work wonders with the Princess fares. :) Sorry for the confusion, I just re-read my last post you were talking about and it was a bit off in explaining. Usually the price we receive from a discount TA is so much lower than what Princess is charging, I don't even bother to watch for the price decreases...........and check only occasionally.

Check the Princess website, log in, and check your cruise fare. It decreased by $200 for a past passenger. Just contacted my TA and got the decrease on a Feb. cruise. Good luck.

No my AK cruise has not decreased. Final payment due soon! Darn no decrease, per my T.A.

Thanks so much for posting this! I went to Princess.com and found that the Sapphire Christmas cruise to Hawaii had a significantly reduced price since last I checked and I booked it thanks to you. You ought to work for Princess! I am so excited because after many years of cruising Princess (and a few other lines), this will be my first holiday cruise.

I would not contact a discount TA to lower my price if the price dropped $40-$50

I sure do! I'll take whatever price cuts they give. Eventually those "small" price drops can add up and help to pay for gratuities, excursions, souvenirs, spa, etc. I've always been frugal and a saver, so I'll take advantage of large or small price drops! :D

P.S. Although I've only booked a total of 5 Princess cruises, I've had significant price drops on all of them. And all the past ones and my next one were sold out, so must be popular.

I doubt Princess will ever lower their published fare to the discounted fare I got from my T/A

My TA also has very good prices on Princess cruises, but each time Princess decreases their price, my TA decreases hers by the same amount. So why wouldn't I call her and get a new lower price??? The other day Princess' price was lowered by $210/pp. I had a much lower price than Princess', but my TA lowered her price by $210. Today there was another $50/pp drop by Princess, so I'll be calling my TA to get another $50 taken off her price. I've done this on all my cruises.

Wow! I just dropped onto Princess site and see prices have bolted on our cruise. We realized a $700 savings last week now the price has increased above original. Yikes! Proves to constantly check for savings and quickly contact your TA as prices quickly change.

We got quite a big price drop 5 days ago, but I just checked a few minutes ago and it's been dropped again by $50/pp! Woo-hoo! Will be calling the TA in the morning. :D

What category are you in because I checked our BA and there was no addition $50 drop. Thanks!

I was not seeing any price drops when others were chatting about them last week, and had checked just over the weekend, but sometime between Wednesday and today our prices did drop, just a bit, $70 pp on a Category I cabin on the Emerald in January/February 2011. This was past passenger pricing. So if you checked to no avail last week, you might try again!

Archived