Need help with shoes...please

num1crewsfam

:D Am on the Oct 11 Solstice Med Cruise..and I really need help with choosing a walking shoe to get me through this port intensive vacation! I will pay just about anything to get a shoe that is comfortable and will help me remain blister and pain free. Any suggestions? These boards have never let me down:D

I won't recommend a brand but I will recommend that you make sure that whatever shoes you take are well broken-in. Too many people buy a new pair of shoes for a trip and end up with trouble. And walk around in them a lot in the days prior to the cruise so you can re-adjust to them as needed if it's been a while since you wore them. We also take a product called "blister block" which helps a lot if, despite everything, a blister appears. There are large bandages with special padding that work great, and also a kind of viscous gel that you apply to the foot which isn't as good as the large bandages but which works pretty well.

:D Am on the Oct 11 Solstice Med Cruise..and I really need help with choosing a walking shoe to get me through this port intensive vacation! I will pay just about anything to get a shoe that is comfortable and will help me remain blister and pain free. Any suggestions? These boards have never let me down:D

Mephisto, many styles for men and women...great walking or all around casual shoes.

I always take enough walking/comfy shoes so that I don't have to wear the same ones 2 days running. That way, if I do develop a blister, like i did in Barcelona a few weeks ago, I have a choice of shoe shapes that won't rub the blister. Talc helps too. :)

Before you buy those shoes, you need to invest in some socks that you will wear with those shoes. And take those socks with you when you're trying on shoes.

I normally wait to buy shoes in the afternoon, after I've been awake and moving about.

Just my 2 cents....

I wore Ecco walking sandals on hot days with absolutely the best result. Straps are padded and lined so no rubbing. And VERY adjustable as your feet swell during the day. Great thick sole for the uneven stone walks. I have a pair of ecco walking shoes too for cool weather. Ecco runs higher $ but boy they are worth it to me.

You will find tons of recs but only you know your feet/arch to tell what's best for you. I have a high arch and will get plantars Fac. if not supported when doing tons of walking.

I like Zappos.com because delivery is free as is return postage. I think I had 6 pair of shoes here at one time to choose from.:) I go to a good outdoor shop to check things out at home as far as size. But find many more styles and colors at zappos. Good luck!!

I just bought a pair of Keen Newport H2s for our port intensive cruise of the Med in July. I did extensive research before purchasing, and found Keens to be very highly rated sports sandals. I'd suggest checking them out.

Another option, which my sister swears by, are Chacos. These are also sports sandals, but with less foot coverage - more like a Teva. They are also very popular but don't give as much foot protection. (I wanted toe protection for hiking Mt. Etna!)

You could also check out Mephistos or Merrells. They tend to offer supportive, comfortable shoes too.

I bought a pair of Puma ballet flats for my European vacation last year and I LOVE them. They are as comfortable as tennis shoes without looking like tennis shoes. They go with a lot and I get a lot of compliments on them.

I'm another ECCO fan, I also wore ballet flats while touring with no problem, (no socks needed) I like a super flexible, lightweight shoe with little or no support, so it really depends on your feet, & the condition that they're in. DH prefers Merrill's, with a much more sturdy sole & a lot more support, less flexibility.

Cobblestones are incredibly slippery when wet!

So you really need to shop around, & figure out what works for you.

The best advice that were given is to wear those shoes ahead of time, especially if you prefer the more supportive type shoe, break them in!

I'm leaving in 5 days... Med cruise... I decided I'm just bringing all my shoes :D I just can't decide.

I'm an Ecco fan too... but I'm never comfortable in just one walking shoe. I really have to trade off.

Definitely get some good shoes WAY ahead of time and walk all over in them. I LOVE The Walking Company. Great store.

My wife had problems getting a comfortable walking shoe. She tried on a Dansko and that is the only shoe she now wears.

I have had Mephisto, Echo,, and a few others that I purchased from the Walking Company. They give a good fit but not as good as a Red Wing store. I went in to buy a pair of shoes and one style that I liked had a bad break across my toes. I said it will get softer. The salesperson said if the shoe is not comfortable now don't buy it. You buy a shoe that feels good now because if the shoe is right for you it does not need to be broken in. I found a pair and they are the best pair of walking shoes that I have ever had, and there was no breaking in.

Try the Red Wing store. They also carry Dansko.

I love my Reef flip flops and my Rockport shoes. Those are good and even better when I switch between them midway through the day. I heard that Rob Reiner gave Tom Hanks the best directing advice which was: wear comfortable shoes and change them half way through the day.

For the record, I wore Skeechers to Disney and got the worse blisters ever. The poster who said to buy them ahead of time and break them in was absolutely right.

Sandals that I like that I haven't seen mentioned yet are Teva's. I find mine quite comfortable for walking. I have one pair that can also be used in the water for water shoes as well. My nicer looking ones will probably coming to the Baltics with me.

Be sure to take more than two pairs of walking shoes in the event of rain. It could take a day or two to dry out your shoes.

Make sure the soles are sturdy enough to handle the cobbled street. I wouldn't recommend open toed shoes either. Sandals would be fine in Barcelona but dangerous at Pompeii.

I like the idea of switching during the day if possible, or changing shoes to best adjust to terrain.

You will not see many Italians in Nike's. We tourists seem to stick out in a crowd but our shoes really give us away.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful suggestions! I have a pair of Keens, Ecco, and Merrell on the way from Zappos...I own two pair of Danscos...so at least one of them will be going :) Prada loafers...now there's a direction I hadn't thought of...I love it!:D

I swear by my SAS (San Antonio Shoes) sandals and sneakers. EM

I swear by S.A.S. shoes as well. My podiatrist suggested them to me years ago, along with Rockports. If I go to their outlet store, they have a larger selection but I can also get them at my local non-chain shoe store as well. They have sandals, leather lace up walking shoes and slip-ons. I do not like the Rockports as much.

Archived