How much time are you supposed to give yourself to fly home after cruise is over?

Jaylasmom

I thought I remembered reading somewhere when I booked my cruise not to book a flight before a certain time in case we were running late. I just can't remember what it said. We are supposed to get back at 7 am. What would be the earliest time that would be safe to book the flight home?

Thanks in advance.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere when I booked my cruise not to book a flight before a certain time in case we were running late. I just can't remember what it said. We are supposed to get back at 7 am. What would be the earliest time that would be safe to book the flight home?

Thanks in advance.

Where and when is your cruise ending? Without this little bit of useful information, you can hardly expect a useful answer.

DON

As mentioned there are many factors to consider and one of them is the distance between the port and the airport.

If you can provide specifics about which port you are arriving to and which airport you are flying out of that would be helpful. And also the name of the cruise line or the ship can also be helpful.

Keith

Out of Fort Lauderdale, Princess suggested on our last two cruises that the absolute earliest flight you could consider is 10:30am. On our first cruise, we had an 11:30am flight back and on our second, it was 1:30pm. We didn't have issues either time, but neither cruise was delayed getting back into port. Prudence suggests an afternoon flight (and you can relax and enjoy your last breakfast in the MDR).

I usually take the same precaution post-cruise, that I do pre-cruise and stay at least 1 extra day in that port city.

That way there is no risk of 1) missing the ship at the beginning of the cruise or 2) missing my flight at the end of the cruise.

For our Med cruise we did 2 days pre-cruise in Rome and 2 days post-cruise in Venice. More just for site seeing than fear of missing the ship or flight.

It really depends on the port and airport locations! From POM to MIA, you can easily do a flight around 11am...

MAYBE

we had a 12:30 flight & almost missed it because of the delayed getting off the ship due to clearance of the ship then lack of taxis

we did not even get a taxi until 11:10 lots missed their flights

You just never know

Thanks for all the responses so far. Sorry I left out some important info. The port is Fort Lauderdale and I will be flying out from the FLL airport. We are supposed to return at 7 am and I am wanting to book a 11:22 am flight. Is that just too close?

We prefer to book the following day. Number one reason is so we don't have to rush/then wait at a crowded airport. Number two it is a more civilised way to re-enter the real world. Number three is that we are able to schedule our time off with no problems.

We have found that flights are sometimes a bit cheaper the day after a cruise, which offsets the price of a hotel for the night. We're never anxious to get back home.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Sorry I left out some important info. The port is Fort Lauderdale and I will be flying out from the FLL airport. We are supposed to return at 7 am and I am wanting to book a 11:22 am flight. Is that just too close?

If all goes smoothly you will make the flight. I normally book a flight around 12:30 PM to be on the safe side should there be a delay in our arrival or the clearance of the ship is delayed.

Keith

Also depends upon how many other ships are unloading hordes of passengers who will be making long lines at the airports for check in and security.

You might make a 9:45 flight just fine one week but be in line when your 11:30 flight took off the next week. So many variables can cause delays but that is part of travel. ALMOST always, you will make a flight home from FLL after a cruise scheduled for 12 noon or later.

Don't look at the time the flight takes off. Look at the time you are supposed to be at the AP. For domestic check in they recommend at least 2 hours in advance. Do you really think you can make it to the AP by 9:30? If your ship is late getting in or there is a problem with another passanger clearing customs etc., you are toast. How much of a gambler are you? Will an early time like that stress you out & undo all of the lovely relaxation you just enjoyed on the cruise?

I have decided to save myself the stress and wait til the day after we get back from our cruise to fly home. The problem is there is only 1 nonstop flight and it leaves before noon on that day. I only want nonstop since this is my first time flying.

Thanks everyone for helping me make this decision!

Don't look at the time the flight takes off. Look at the time you are supposed to be at the AP.

that is the BEST ADVICE!!

...i am surprised at people that think they can get off the ship and be at the airport in plenty of time for some of the early flights--how can they be at least 90 mins which some airports say....dont they ever take in consideration....ship clearing, traffic/transportation, lines to check-in and then security not to mention anything else that could and does come up...

what STRESS to put on yourself at the end of your vacation by worrying if you will make your flight!

In April we were on the Island Princess and disembarked in Fort Lauderdale. Our flight was at 11:05 -- we were at the airport by 8:00. Absolutely no problem getting off the ship, getting our luggage, getting the taxi and then off to the airport. It works for us, hopefully it will work for you.

Jackie

I have decided to save myself the stress and wait til the day after we get back from our cruise to fly home. The problem is there is only 1 nonstop flight and it leaves before noon on that day. I only want nonstop since this is my first time flying.

Thanks everyone for helping me make this decision!

Where in Arkansas do you live that you are finding a non-stop to South Florida?

While an 11:22am flight should be fine, for a first time flyer, I would take a later one-stop flight than rush for any flight especially when you are not used to the entire check-in and security process.

Where in Arkansas do you live that you are finding a non-stop to South Florida?

While an 11:22am flight should be fine, for a first time flyer, I would take a later one-stop flight than rush for any flight especially when you are not used to the entire check-in and security process.

We are flying out of Memphis so we can get the nonstop flight. I got my flight booked today and tickets were only $305 roundtrip! We decided against trying to rush and I'm against getting a flight with any stops just bc I want the flying process to be as simple as possible at least for the first time so we are just going to stay a night then go home. Now I just have to figure out where we're going to stay.

We are flying out of Memphis so we can get the nonstop flight. I got my flight booked today and tickets were only $305 roundtrip! We decided against trying to rush and I'm against getting a flight with any stops just bc I want the flying process to be as simple as possible at least for the first time so we are just going to stay a night then go home. Now I just have to figure out where we're going to stay.

Ah, good decision. Hope you have a great cruise.

For me that would be too close....Clearance of the ship, taxi service, airport security lines, etc. can be slow. We always book after noon. 7:00 AM is ship arrival time and it doesn't mean that your feet can hit the ground at 7:00 AM. Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived