All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Just get off the ship. There will be a number of uniformed RCI personnel directing the masses. Just ask one where your excursion is meeting, and they will show you where to go.

Actually there are excursion people directing anyone who needs info. They will be holding signs with the name of the excursion and sometimes the excursion number is on it too. RCI doesn't put it's staff outside to direct everyone as they don't manage any of it. The excursion ticket will also say meet at the pier, or in the theater or end of the pier or wherever you need to meet. If you need help, just ask any of the people that are running the excursions. They normally have on matching shirts with the name of their company on them.

Promenade is great--take advantage of it!

Ice show

Thanks for the suggestions, any thing else you wish you would have known before you got on the Explorer? anyone?

Edited by music

Ice show

Thanks for the suggestions, any thing else you wish you would have known before you got on the Explorer? anyone?

Don't order drinks in the MDR....very weak. The Aquarium Bar gives the best pour, and it's right outside the dinning room. Don't miss the salad bar in the MDR for lunch. Amazing! They put it together for you, so eveyone isn't touching the same stuff. Also they serve unlimited cocktail shrimp.

The EX is a great ship. There is always a place to go and find a seat. Watch the clock. I gave the chair hogs a good hour before I called the pool patrol over to take the seats. The people didn't show up for another hour, and I'm just glad I didn't understand their language.

Edited by Heidils

The day we were there, there was a little wind, which was nice because it was hot! So there were light rolling waves. It wasn't calm like Magens bay is.

LOL.....we were in SM this past December and went to Divi Little Bay. It was the first time I saw waves there too!!! Once you got past the waves, the water was nice, but I never saw waves there before so was surprised when we got there. One of the workers told us that was probably the calmest beach on the island that day..................LOL

The "Midnight Buffet" on the Explorer is held on the pool deck around 11pm. They serve all kinds of food and try very hard to please everyone. The band is playing and the activities staff is working to get people to dance. It is usually well attended.

If you need to eat at 11pm the Promenade Cafe is open. The have great pizza, small sandwiches, desserts, and fruit! Otherwise, there is room service! No reason to ever be hungry on a cruise!

Diane

For the midnight buffet, I was talking about the one they normally do in the dining room with the fancy desserts, ice carvings, and all sorts of foods. Do they not do that anymore? On Celebrity, they moved it to brunch on a sea day.

For the midnight buffet, I was talking about the one they normally do in the dining room with the fancy desserts, ice carvings, and all sorts of foods. Do they not do that anymore? On Celebrity, they moved it to brunch on a sea day.

No midnight buffet on Royal for 5 years or so. Some ships do a late night poolside BBQ one night with an ice carving.

We did a seven-night NYE sailing. Tickets were distributed between 7:30 and 9:30[?] p.m. on the first night. They had several shows--I believe two on day 3 and one on day 5, but the nine-nighter might be different. The shows are not on day 1. All the shows are the same, so just pick one. Also, if you are platinum or up, you will get a special top-tier show for which you do not need tickets.

Is this still the case for the 7 night Bahamas cruise? Also, what is the "Exclusive Top Tier Event" for Platinum? It's actually my first cruise since I hit that level (thanks to Celebrity reciprocity, but this cruise puts us over Platinum on RCI as well, too bad they do not combine points!).

Is this still the case for the 7 night Bahamas cruise? Also, what is the "Exclusive Top Tier Event" for Platinum? It's actually my first cruise since I hit that level (thanks to Celebrity reciprocity, but this cruise puts us over Platinum on RCI as well, too bad they do not combine points!).

We were on a seven-nighter and there was a poolside buffet combined with music and dancing. The top-tier event for us was a special ice show with drinks. We didn't know that was to be the case, so we waited on line for tickets to the regular show.

Stay in touch with your M&M group - they will know what is going on. If there's a special event that includes Platinums, you should get an invitation delivered to your cabin. I'm lucky enough to be a diamond now so I get daily mail inviting me to one thing or another, but I still chat with others to know what is going on since the communications sometimes break down.

Has anyone gotten off of Explorer recently who partook in the new alcohol packages they are offering? I was hoping to hear some people's experiences with it and whether the bartenders/waiters ignored you or whether you got a chance to tip them on top of the gratuity that is "included"? We were wondering if we should be bringing more cash than normal to tip people assuming we buy the package? We're on the Feb 24th sailing.

Stay in touch with your M&M group - they will know what is going on. If there's a special event that includes Platinums, you should get an invitation delivered to your cabin. I'm lucky enough to be a diamond now so I get daily mail inviting me to one thing or another, but I still chat with others to know what is going on since the communications sometimes break down.

Thanks. I'll also be sure to go find the C&A person to ask if I don't find anything in my cabin.

BTW, my wife and I are booked in separate cabins with one of our kids (just Gold) in each (booked it like that to get the 55+ rate on both). We will rearrange at guest services when we get there, but will their cards not be Platinum and will we be able to bring them into the Platinum event with us? We should get the robes in both cabins since the booking has a Platinum member in each. This is obviously not an Explorer-specific question.

Edited by MisterBill99

Thanks. I'll also be sure to go find the C&A person to ask if I don't find anything in my cabin.

BTW, my wife and I are booked in separate cabins with one of our kids (just Gold) in each (booked it like that to get the 55+ rate on both). We will rearrange at guest services when we get there, but will their cards not be Platinum and will we be able to bring them into the Platinum event with us? We should get the robes in both cabins since the booking has a Platinum member in each. This is obviously not an Explorer-specific question.

Assuming your children are minors and have at least one completed cruise already, they will have the same member-status as you.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/viewAllBenefitsLoggedout.do?memberTier=Platinum

Assuming your children are minors and have at least one completed cruise already, they will have the same member-status as you.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/viewAllBenefitsLoggedout.do?memberTier=Platinum

They're not minors. We got Platinum from a Celebrity cruise that they were not on so we have reciprocity on RCI. After this cruise, we'll all be Platinum based on RCI points.

Hi Gang

Anyone ever do My Family time Dining?

Was there any issues getting your kids picked up?

Did the staff bring out their food pretty quickly?

How long did you leave them at Adventure Ocean after dinner?

Staff in AO great with the kids?

How is the kids pool section on the ship?

O.K., I think I'm done :D

Sorry it's taking so long. A lovely young-in blasted into me on the Explorer and knocked me down. My back has been killing me to the point that I went to the hospital. I have a herniated disc. People please watch your children. He didn't even say he was sorry, just ran away. The last two days, I had to deal with the lovely elevator people.

That being said, I tried to upload the compass' with both of my scanners and can't seem to figure it out. My neice is coming over today, maybe she can figure it out. If no one post's them by Monday I can't take them to my daughters and she can do it for me.

Oh no! Are you ok now? I'd have tackled the little bastard for you! :cool:

Has anyone gotten off of Explorer recently who partook in the new alcohol packages they are offering? I was hoping to hear some people's experiences with it and whether the bartenders/waiters ignored you or whether you got a chance to tip them on top of the gratuity that is "included"? We were wondering if we should be bringing more cash than normal to tip people assuming we buy the package? We're on the Feb 24th sailing.

Since you got no answer, I'll give you a little answer. :)

Didn't get it, since we got a suite this time, and thus free drinks at night. From what I saw (and don't hold me to this), they took your card (swiped it?) and gave it back, so there's opportunity to tip then. If you prefer after you're finished, they're around and will usually check to see if you want another.

I don't know how they get tipped for the package (I would still assume it's per drink). I normally tip an extra buck per order (usually 2 drinks), as I get to know the bartenders well and they do a great job and work their butts off. Favorite 1 or 2 bartenders get something extra special at the end. Probably why Kathy and Avinash remembered us after a year. :rolleyes:

Of course, tipping is personal, so I wouldn't feel the need to tip extra just because you have the package.

Have been wanting to cruise out of New York for the scenery and cannot find any cruises that appeal to me. Like the Explorer itinerary leaving from New Jersey. Will I be able to see the NY skyline, statue of Liberty, etc. Hope this is not a dumb question. Have cruised a lot. But mostly from Florida, Calif. and Europe.

Have been wanting to cruise out of New York for the scenery and cannot find any cruises that appeal to me. Like the Explorer itinerary leaving from New Jersey. Will I be able to see the NY skyline, statue of Liberty, etc. Hope this is not a dumb question. Have cruised a lot. But mostly from Florida, Calif. and Europe.

Yes, you'll be able to see the skyline and the Statue...as long as it isn't foggy.

You can see the statue and the skyline of lower Manhattan from the ship while still in port.