Why no Hubbard in 2012?

karlsselindh

No HAL Alaska cruises, except the 14-day Amsterdam, will go to Hubbard Glacier in 2012 (as far as I can tell). All go to Glacier Bay, except the Oosterdam, round trip Seattle, which only does Tracy Arm as its glacier experience. We just got back from the 5/25 Volendam cruise, round-trip Vancouver (great cruise!) They went to Glacier Bay and attempted Tracy Arm, but because of ice were unable to venture far enough to see Sawyer Glacier. I understand that it is common to miss glacier viewing in Tracy Arm because of ice. It seems a shame that HAL is cutting back on glacier viewing.

Sorry if this has already been talked about as I haven't read any of the board for a week but we just got back from our Westerdam cruise and we did not get to see Hubbard Glacier because of dense fog. It was such a disappointment for us because it was the main reason we booked this particular cruise.

It would have been far too dangerous for the captain to bring us deeper into the bay because he was unable to see the ice bergs with such limited visibility. I know it was a wise call of the captain as safety is always the number one priority. Hubby and I simply shrugged our shoulders and said, "Oh well, we'll just have to do it again next year." I certainly hope that we do get that opportunity next year and that this will still be a possibility.

BTW, the cruise was fantastic and we had great weather to boot!

No HAL Alaska cruises, except the 14-day Amsterdam, will go to Hubbard Glacier in 2012 (as far as I can tell). All go to Glacier Bay, except the Oosterdam, round trip Seattle, which only does Tracy Arm as its glacier experience. We just got back from the 5/25 Volendam cruise, round-trip Vancouver (great cruise!) They went to Glacier Bay and attempted Tracy Arm, but because of ice were unable to venture far enough to see Sawyer Glacier. I understand that it is common to miss glacier viewing in Tracy Arm because of ice. It seems a shame that HAL is cutting back on glacier viewing.

Ice does slow things down in Tracy Arm, but I think many ships that don't make it to the glaciers simply run out of time. The Disney Wonder made it to the end of Tracy Arm on their first 3 cruises in May. (I haven't read the reports about their May 24 cruise.) Their captain explained to someone (who posted on a Disney message board) that ice wasn't the problem, but most cruise lines don't allow enough time for the Tracy Arm transit.

Sorry if this has already been talked about as I haven't read any of the board for a week but we just got back from our Westerdam cruise and we did not get to see Hubbard Glacier because of dense fog. It was such a disappointment for us because it was the main reason we booked this particular cruise.

It would have been far too dangerous for the captain to bring us deeper into the bay because he was unable to see the ice bergs with such limited visibility. I know it was a wise call of the captain as safety is always the number one priority. Hubby and I simply shrugged our shoulders and said, "Oh well, we'll just have to do it again next year." I certainly hope that we do get that opportunity next year and that this will still be a possibility.

I am so sorry to hear you missed Hubbard Glacier (that is one of the reasons we booked the Westerdam for late July as well). Would love to hear more about your trip, what kind of temps did you have and what kind of clothing did you bring? I have the feeling we are in for a major over packing..lol

Wendy

My understanding is that if there is ice debris at the entrance and/or extreme low tides--the ship can be limited in accessing the channel to Tracy Arm. Other than that--there isn't that much ice in the arm until you get right up to the end where the glaciers are. We've been there on a small boat and it is pretty amazing---but the small boat didn't need the channel that the ships need to get into the arm. The Volendam has 4 hours alloted which would seem to be plenty to get in and spend time. It is possible ice was blocking the channel and that is why it was not accessible when you were there.

Regarding not going to Hubbard in 2012 -- there has been research indicating that the presence of cruiseships disrupt the seals and their pups, and IIRC reducing the cruiseship #s in the area is to reduce the impact on the seals and pups. Don't have time to find the link(s) right now, sorry.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2013967241_webalaskaglaciercruise18.html

Into every life a little ice must drop and into everylife a little rain must fall.

Also, there are only a certain number of permits issued for the glacier areas by the National Park Service. I know this impacts Glacier Bay... and I believe I had previously heard the same for Hubbard Glacier.

The permits aren't issued this early, so the cruise lines "default" to Tracy Arm until permits are issued. Then the itineraries are updated.

I know this was true in 2009, as I was on the Ryndam cruise for the 14-day trip. I don't know if those policies are still in effect for 2012.

.... But also consider fuel consumption. Hubbard is accessed from the Gulf and is a bit of a detour for some itineraries. Notice also that Sitka ( also entered from the open ocean) is not visited as frequently either. Our shorex guide last year said HAL was the only company still doing Sitka and at that, a reduced schedule.

In looking at the new itineraeries for the 14 day amsterdam trip they have streamlined it also. In the initial year (2010) we crisscrossed several times in daylight and maximized our sightseeing. :). (so glad we got on that trip).

~TC

Also, there are only a certain number of permits issued for the glacier areas by the National Park Service. I know this impacts Glacier Bay... and I believe I had previously heard the same for Hubbard Glacier.

The permits aren't issued this early, so the cruise lines "default" to Tracy Arm until permits are issued. Then the itineraries are updated.

I know this was true in 2009, as I was on the Ryndam cruise for the 14-day trip. I don't know if those policies are still in effect for 2012.

Permits overall are issued very far in the future for Glacier Bay. The article I read said they issue it "for 10 years at a time" and the current contracts are through 2019. http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Alaska-s-Glacier-Bay-awards-10-year-deals-to-cruise-lines/

It is possible that the Ryndam was able to pick up on another line or ships permit that wasn't being used. Or the cruise line didn't immediately know which ships it would give their permits to.

We missed Hubbard glacier many years ago due to ice :( It was disappointing.

good link. this appears to be another case of tourism destroying travel.

There is a very real phenomenon called "tourist-caused damage." Some damage is intentional, but most is unintentional. I can see this being a case of unintentional tourist-caused damage, not necessarily the tourists individually, but by the sheer numbers of people (cruise ships, tour boats, etc.) in the area. As sad as it is, I am always happy to see locations closed, or limited, to tourists in order to protect the areas from, or prevent further damage.

As much as well all want to see the great places in the world, doing so would destroy them.

There is a very real phenomenon called "tourist-caused damage." Some damage is intentional, but most is unintentional. I can see this being a case of unintentional tourist-caused damage, not necessarily the tourists individually, but by the sheer numbers of people (cruise ships, tour boats, etc.) in the area. As sad as it is, I am always happy to see locations closed, or limited, to tourists in order to protect the areas from, or prevent further damage.

As much as well all want to see the great places in the world, doing so would destroy them.

exactly. a good example is stonehenge. people walking around inside the circle were unintentionally kicking up pebbles which in turn, starting erroding the base of the stones. now people aren't allowed to get that close (except for some druids).

i read an article about the possible closing of machu picchu for similar reasons.

I did a search on an on-line cruise site for ships that go to Hubbard during the summer of '12. Amsterdam 14-day cruises are the only HAL ship that shows up. Celebrity has a 7-day round trip out of Vancouver that visits Hubbard, and Princess and Royal Carribbean have several one-way Vancouver/Anchorage cruises that go to Hubbard. No 7-day HAL cruises go to Hubbard, and Oosterdam doesn't even go to Glacier Bay.

I realize that fog and ice can impact the experience, but to me, Hubbard is the most spectacular of glacier viewings. The lack of Hubbard would lead me to leave HAL and book another line for Alaska.

Glacier Bay has restrictions in place already regarding seals/pups and cruiseships. Three years ago we were the first ship (First of September) to get into John Hopkins glacier in Glacier Bay, due to it being closed all summer for seal pups. Seals were gone when we got there so apparently the timing was right to not impact them. One of the things I like about HAL is that they appear to step up to issues like this and take a lead....... like using sustainable fish on their menu's on the ship, rather than fish at risk of depletion in the ocean. I am impressed with their leadership attempts on environmental issues which are a part of the cruiseline industry.

One of the things I like about HAL is that they appear to step up to issues like this and take a lead....... like using sustainable fish on their menu's on the ship, rather than fish at risk of depletion in the ocean. I am impressed with their leadership attempts on environmental issues which are a part of the cruiseline industry.

nonsense. if hal was allowed to, they would have every ship in the fleet clogging up the area. regulations are keeping them from doing that, not hal's good intentions.

Does any one know then if that is the case with the Inside Passage too? The Amsterdam is doing it this year but not next

The change in itinerary for the Amsterdam is probably a result of the high cost of fuel these days. Ships departing Seattle rarely go through the Inside Passage due to distance traveled and strong adverse currents. It is easier, and cheaper, to go around the other side of Vancouver Island. It is easier and cheaper for ships departing Vancouver to go through the passage to use it.

BWDIK? - I'm not an expert - just reporting what some who claim expertise have told me on various occasions ;)

......... Westerdam for late July as well). Would love to hear more about your trip, what kind of temps did you have and what kind of clothing did you bring? I have the feeling we are in for a major over packing..lol

Wendy

We did late June after reports of 70 degree weather from the trip a week prior, and needed every bit of our over-packed winter stuff. We used silk underwear, waterproof shoes (LL Bean), scarves, hats, earmuffs, gloves, parka, fleece and vests. Weather was mostly brilliant and clear, but occasional rain and cold and sometimes windy which made the whole package feel a lot worse.

But this is what Alaska calls summer so this was part of the over-all experience these people live with every year. It was also green, flowered and gorgeous with mighty snow capped mountains as scenic backdrops.

Every port had packages of warm-up garb immediately available for about $29 - gloves, hats and scarves and fleece wear was also quite available as well as serious winter and weather clothes so if you need it and you don't have it, you can easily get it there...... if you can make the dash from the ship to the store, or appreciate the HAL stores onboard will also offer you similar type items appropriate for the areas you are cruising.

And that might mean a bathing suit and sun screen because the only thing predictable about Alaska weather is you can't predict anything.

BTW: I always pack silk underwear, earmuffs, gloves, fleece hat and scarf for every trip because sometimes even the A/C can make me want to dress up a bit more, and I have run into some very unseasonable weather shifts in surprising times and parts of the year no matter where I have traveled so these few, easily packable items always go with me as my comfort security blankets. Planes can get too cold too.

We did late June after reports of 70 degree weather from the trip a week prior, and needed every bit of our over-packed winter stuff. We used silk underwear, waterproof shoes (LL Bean), scarves, hats, earmuffs, gloves, parka, fleece and vests. Weather was mostly brilliant and clear, but occasional rain and cold and sometimes windy which made the whole package feel a lot worse.

But this is what Alaska calls summer so this was part of the over-all experience these people live with every year. It was also green, flowered and gorgeous with mighty snow capped mountains as scenic backdrops.

Every port had packages of warm-up garb immediately available for about $29 - gloves, hats and scarves and fleece wear was also quite available as well as serious winter and weather clothes so if you need it and you don't have it, you can easily get it there...... if you can make the dash from the ship to the store, or appreciate the HAL stores onboard will also offer you similar type items appropriate for the areas you are cruising.

And that might mean a bathing suit and sun screen because the only thing predictable about Alaska weather is you can't predict anything.

BTW: I always pack silk underwear, earmuffs, gloves, fleece hat and scarf for every trip because sometimes even the A/C can make me want to dress up a bit more, and I have run into some very unseasonable weather shifts in surprising times and parts of the year no matter where I have traveled so these few, easily packable items always go with me as my comfort security blankets. Planes can get too cold too.

I agree.There are many products available in specialty outdoor-oriented shops which offer a range of lightweight, non-bulky, new-tech materials for bringing with you on these cruises.

We got to the Hubbard last year on our 7 day aboard the Amsterdam out of Seattle and spent about an hour there, then cruised to 3 other glaciers. This year we sailed the Volendam from Vancouver and had a spectacular and extensive viewing of the Marjorie Glacier. Captain Visser's skill and the Park Service's blessing afforded us a view even closer than the small ship in the bay got. We were witness to spectacular calving at the glacier face, numerous brown bears, and hundreds of seals basking on the ice near the glacier. We also sailed by the Ross Glacier twice (inbound and outbound) and saw the large area of deep blue ice that appeared on its face recently. The weather was perfect on both cruises.

Tracy Arm was beautiful but we didn't make it to the Sawyer. Our server in the MDR commented on how loud it was in his cabin on deck 2 each time the ship hit ice. On our return to Vancouver the Captain took an alternate route through the narrows that afforded us a day of amazing viewing through a channel not much wider than the ship in the area of Bella Bella. Lots of wildlife, lots of scenery.

We got to the Hubbard last year on our 7 day aboard the Amsterdam out of Seattle and spent about an hour there, then cruised to 3 other glaciers. This year we sailed the Volendam from Vancouver and had a spectacular and extensive viewing of the Marjorie Glacier. Captain Visser's skill and the Park Service's blessing afforded us a view even closer than the small ship in the bay got. We were witness to spectacular calving at the glacier face, numerous brown bears, and hundreds of seals basking on the ice near the glacier. We also sailed by the Ross Glacier twice (inbound and outbound) and saw the large area of deep blue ice that appeared on its face recently. The weather was perfect on both cruises.

Tracy Arm was beautiful but we didn't make it to the Sawyer. Our server in the MDR commented on how loud it was in his cabin on deck 2 each time the ship hit ice. On our return to Vancouver the Captain took an alternate route through the narrows that afforded us a day of amazing viewing through a channel not much wider than the ship in the area of Bella Bella. Lots of wildlife, lots of scenery.

Are you sure you weren't at Glacier Bay last year? Marjorie Glacier is at GB, which has a number of glaciers, whereas Hubbard Glacier is one gigantic glacier. I also didn't know the Amsterdam did any 7-night cruises in 2010, unless it was at the very beginning or end of the Alaska season.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The Amsterdam made a couple of 7 day trips to Glacier Bay last year in early May after which she began her 14 day runs. My Hubbard Glacier comment pertained to that trip to Glacier Bay.

This year the Volendam went to the Marjorie and Ross glaciers during our Glacier Bay portion of the cruise and not the Hubbard. We did not make it to any glaciers on the Tracy Arm portion of this year's cruise.

Archived