*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Our house is in Caney Creek Estates. If any of you remember the old M&T Country Store and the boat ramp down the road a little, then we are right next to the boat ramp. M&T has closed and some lawyers from Galveston have built a gorgeous house next to where it use to be and the store they have renovated and we have heard that it is either guest quarters or maids quarters. Don't know for sure but they have their big a### boat docked at their house. We have the best view of the creek all the way down to the left and to the right we have the curve around the creek. Were going today but 5 yr old granddaughter wants to go with us and she had gym tonight so we will leave about noon tomorrow. Rest of family will be come Saturday. If any of you come down that way we are at 162 Caney Dr. Stop by and visit.

The HAL Westerdam is in town. More people got off today to shop in the nice weather before noon. I wish HAL would try a ship out of Galveston. That is the one major cruise line we have not been on.

We're sailing on the Westerdam the end of October and it can't get here fast enough. Its been 3 months since the last cruise and I'm more than ready to go cruising again. I'll second the motion to have an HAL ship in Galveston.

True, you're not far at all!

Growing up, I remember my grandfather taking my brother and I to what passed for the mall at that point -- remember Wilson's?? -- and let us pick out a toy each time. It was a very big deal to us. :) And then when I lived in Sargent, I would go grocery shop in Lake Jackson. It's a beautiful place -- I would love to live there!

-gina-

Definitely remember Wilson's...that was there when we first moved here and the Mall here was really, really small. Still not too great! I never ever thought we'd be living here this long.

Galveston beach water temperature is 89 F; on days like this I think I would actually go for Barton Springs.:) Is it still topless optional??:eek:

Don't know if it is...Lake Travis is probably nice and cooler than the Gulf...if there is any water left with the dought...:eek:

Don't know if it is...Lake Travis is probably nice and cooler than the Gulf...if there is any water left with the dought...:eek:
I understand that Travis has a lot of islands in it these days. I've spent a lot of time on that lake through the years, and yes I have cruised Hippy Hollow!!:eek:

We have cruised several times with HAL, beautiful ships with some of the best service we've yet encountered. It was considered a premium line along with Celebrity before they got swallowed up and the quality went down. We love their longer itineraries, the 10 day cruises are just right.

But, you have to fly to Lauderdale to have them. That being said, the teen agers are 40 yrs old, and we prefer Princess to HAL.

It's a 7 1/2 hr non-stop from here to Anchorage, I'm beginning to think it might be worth it just to cool off!!

But, you have to fly to Lauderdale to have them. That being said, the teen agers are 40 yrs old, and we prefer Princess to HAL.

We like both lines but also prefer Princess. They won our hearts by doing our laundry for free. Being between cruises, as we are now, just about any cruise line looks good.

Our house is in Caney Creek Estates. If any of you remember the old M&T Country Store and the boat ramp down the road a little, then we are right next to the boat ramp. M&T has closed and some lawyers from Galveston have built a gorgeous house next to where it use to be and the store they have renovated and we have heard that it is either guest quarters or maids quarters. Don't know for sure but they have their big a### boat docked at their house. We have the best view of the creek all the way down to the left and to the right we have the curve around the creek. Were going today but 5 yr old granddaughter wants to go with us and she had gym tonight so we will leave about noon tomorrow. Rest of family will be come Saturday. If any of you come down that way we are at 162 Caney Dr. Stop by and visit.

I remember Caney Creek, our family place was a bit further down than yours. Haven't been down in over 15 years. If you went down there over 30 or more years ago, the store had a sign hanging that started off like "Fishing tackle, groceries, a little bit of everything is what we like to deal in. So come on in and look around it's hanging from the ceilin'."

It's a 7 1/2 hr non-stop from here to Anchorage, I'm beginning to think it might be worth it just to cool off!!

Hoped to get in the spa to cool off after weeding and watering (today is our watering day) water temp 102!:eek:

Bring some of that Alaska weather back here please:D

I promised myself in January I would not complain about hot weather after our cold winter = okay I lied to self:o

Today at the ranch...it was so hot...that was riding the 4 wheeler around to check on the cattle. My new calf is so cute...she is right with her mama...

Heading for cooler weather at the parents' beach house in RI...up near where Ocean Boy hangs out...Supposedly cool enough for a jacket in the evenings there still...

Was at First Colony Mall shopping today...much hotter in Sugarland than down here! Temps were about 6 degrees cooler here. I have to go to Hobby in the a.m. My DD and her baby have to fly back home to Florida. It will definitely be hard to see them go! :(

Remember when we had a year-round ship years ago from Royal? Here's a thread I started showing the deployment of Royal ships over time since 2000! It shows Rhapsody out year-round out of Galveston if anyone cares. :D Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1437741

Quick notes:

1) It shows the trend of fewer and fewer ships from the US each summer, so prepare to be a little sad.

2) Rhapsody would not have sailed from Galveston year-round if Royal didn't decide to cancel her Summer 2002 cruises from Europe after 9/11! :eek: Rhapsody was originally supposed to be here only during the winter months. Found out from a press release.

Hi guys from Juneau, Ak. We rode one of the new fast ferries for the first time. Boy, does that think move! Average speed was 37 knots. What was once a 9 hour ride is now 4.5. We did see a brown bear along the way.

Just watched Celebrity pull out from downtown, most of the other ships are already gone.

We will be parked here until next Tuesday.

Have a great one.

Where on Caney Creek?

I am really missing it now after this discussion... my mom just sold the house last month to settle my grandmother's estate after she passed away last year, since her own son stole the 7-figure legacy my grandfather had left for her care. Long story, very sad. :( He had built their house in Caney Creek Estates before even Carla hit. This will be the first July 4th in as long as I can remember that we won't be spending there, and I hate it. I'm at least glad I have so many years of great memories there.

But you described it just perfect -- tons of activity on the creek from sun-up until early afternoon, then everyone gets out of the heat, then hits the fun again in early evening. :)

-gina-

Honestly I do not know the # but we drive past the little store and post office by the boat ramp and then turn rt and follow it down a bit. Just after you come out of the grove of trees. We are on the creek side on a curve. The house was probably built in the 60's it is a loft house with a big screen porch. There is a sign in the yard and it says Sha-Linda-La. If you know the Steve's it is next to them. I am sad we are not going tomorrow but ok since it is so hot and the house only has 1 window unit!

2) Rhapsody would not have sailed from Galveston year-round if Royal didn't decide to cancel her Summer 2002 cruises from Europe after 9/11! :eek: Rhapsody was originally supposed to be here only during the winter months. Found out from a press release.[/b]

It wasn't the first time Galveston benefited from a precarious world situation. The first cruise ship to Galveston was due to the first Gulf War. The Sun Line's Stella Solaris was here for the summer in 1991, the first time we cruised from Galveston. Big time changes in ships and the cruise terminals in Galveston since those days.

Heading for cooler weather at the parents' beach house in RI...up near where Ocean Boy hangs out...Supposedly cool enough for a jacket in the evenings there still...

I've done the cliff walk in Newport, which house is it??:)

It wasn't the first time Galveston benefited from a precarious world situation. The first cruise ship to Galveston was due to the first Gulf War. The Sun Line's Stella Solaris was here for the summer in 1991, the first time we cruised from Galveston. Big time changes in ships and the cruise terminals in Galveston since those days.

We had a small terminal[now terminal 1) built due to the efforts of one Galvestonian, Andy Monsour. We also had some Crystal Cruiseline ships visit.

Carnival and RCCL had to put millions into the port to get it functional, and have continued to expand their facilities.

I noted at Rotary this week at Fisherman's Wharf that they've added another segment to the one they were putting in to Terminal 1 which makes for an additional 60 ft lenghtwise.

Continue your efforts Texas Teen (Dylan); as the Ags will say, good bull!!

Hi guys. Light rain most of the day today, but nothing to slow you down about. We went out to a wonderful hidden spot in Juneau called St. Terese Shrine. Always love that place.

There were two ships in today, Crystal and one HAL. They are expecting 5 ships in on July 4th.

TurtleLover.... we are now up to 6 bears. 5 black and one brown. :D

Have a great evening everyone. Going to go check out TT's new thread.

TurtleLover.... we are now up to 6 bears. 5 black and one brown. :D

quote]

Our record is still from Yellowstone, 12 bears in one week, all black bears, couldn't see the one Grizz, he was up too high on the mountain:

rruskl.jpg

This was a cinnamon Black bear. Black bears can also be brown in color, not to confuse with a Grizzly bear or Kodiak bear. And yes, we were about 20 ft from this bear. Yellowstone is phenominal. The park rangers do not like this though:rolleyes:

Guess tomorrow I can watch Oasis since Voyager will not be on a US based web cam...

Oh, and in RH (where near where Ocean Boy is located) it is nice and cool...such a relief from the 100 deg heat yesterday at home...

Have a lobster roll in honor of this thread. I envy the weather.

Likely getting a thunderstorm tomorrow afternoon...wish I could hook it to the tail of D-sis' flight back to Texas.

Lobster rolls likely to come Tu/Wed...and with the crew staying after tomorrow...we are 75% Lobster Lovers...unlike sis' crew where only 2 of the 6 who went last week to Abbots Lobster in the Rough...ate lobster dad had seafood the other 3 had chicken...:eek: Dad never has liked Lobster but likes other seafood so it works out well.

We have leftovers from the family reunion today so know what we are eating the next couple of days...plus it is one of the busiest weekends up here around the area. Trying NOT to be on the roads...

Only 2 weeks and we are in FLL ahead of the Allure sailing...getting more excited by the day!!!

And for the 8th straight day.... more rain. We went to Mendenhall Glacier and did some shopping downtown. There were 4 ships in today. Carnival, Regents, Princess and Disney.

We found a really good Mexican restaurant downtown. Go figure.....:rolleyes:

Archived