*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

@BecciBoo

Yeah its been real hot here lately...but not as bad as Texas. I have seen at least 3-4 turtles per week crossing the roads...it is very sad when yo see so many dead animals this time of year. What really makes me nuts are the people who 'aim' for the turtles who are walking near the edge of where the roads starts, and get their kicks of off driving over them :mad:

@Charla &Bill

I am so glad you enjoyed Arkansas when you lived here. I moved here about 6 years ago, and I love it. The summers are rough, and some winters are really rough...but the people, the view, nature itself is worth everything else that goes with it :)

My brother and family leave San Antonio Friday for their retirement in Mountain Home, Turtle Lover. No dearth of water in Arkansas, wish he would build a pipeline to supply us down here! Now both brothers will be in Arkansas. One on the White River! I will be visiting between cruises. Lows of 65 there this week:p
I did a double take when you said no dearth of water in Arkansas because parts of Arkansas are also feeling teh water pinch, but definitely not along the White River. Wish we hadn't gotten all our rain at once this year.

Seems like there are tons of them in Arkansas crossing the street. After a while you get to feeling so sorry for them being run over

Yep, mom had to swerve to avoid one the other day - it was about the size of a carryon bag. Would've damaged her car if she had hit it.

Yes I know eastern and south eastern Arkansas are flatter and less rainfall than the northern central part. But you do have the Mississippi and that seems to be way up this year. The White where my brother's home is did some damage to the docks this past couple of months. They had to open the dam wide open for a while there was so much rain. They are now down to 6 gates and the river has gone down, but the lake is way up! This happened about 4 years ago also. We have been visiting Arkansas for about 20 years now. But don't let it get out how wonderful it is, there will be too many coming in!!;)

You're going to be an easy find then!!!! LOL If I see squad cars show up...I am gonna video tape it all...post to you tube...LMAO (Although I may be the next one drug out of the ship since its been a 15 year wait for me)....:eek:

Keep that tape rolling as DW and DF will be right behind doing the same thing. Anyone just waking off with a silly grin must have lost their minds. ;)

Yes I know eastern and south eastern Arkansas are flatter and less rainfall than the northern central part. But you do have the Mississippi and that seems to beway up this year.
Oh believe me I understand. Both my farms are near the Mississippi - tons of water in the Mississippi making worries about flooding from levees breaking, but not much rain actually falling on the farms. But then isn't that how it goes.

We have been visiting Arkansas for about 20 years now. But don't let it get out how wonderful it is, there will be too many coming in!!;)

When I moved here I hated it (teenager torn from Alaska) but when I came back as an adult I finally realized what I was too stubborn to see - beautiful state with beautiful people. Finally convinced brother and SIL to move back here as well. Only problem is I'll no longer have a place to stay in San Diego.

Wow, broke a sweat walking this afternoon. It was a whopping 74. Tomorrow will be blah blah blah . . . . .

While you're buzy wasting energy and getting exhausted from walking, we'll have an excuse to stay inside, be lazy, and not break a sweat since it will be RAINING the next few days here! :) We'll also be getting a pretty light show in the sky the next few nights! :D

Sure hope the rain is for real!!!

Prayers for safe return of all the troops, especially the ones known by members here!!! Rocket Showers...NO Fun!

We got a little shower here today. Nice day...at 4:00 p.m. it was 89 with a SE breeze off the Gulf. Really felt good! Got to go pick up DD and little granddaughter at Hobby tomorrow afternoon so hoping any bad weather holds off until they get here!

We pray every day for safe return of the troops. I hope they are able to maintain a stable government in Afghanistan after we leave.

So nice to hear that some rain is finally falling!!! We should be getting some rain today as wel (and we sure need it)...

I pray for all our troops as well....going on day 4 of no news from my son who is deployed....not sure what Moms did years ago, when FB wasnt around.

Rain, rain, rain, yippppeeee. What a lightening show we had at night. You could read a newspaper with all that light. Hope it helps those that need it for livestock, crops, etc. Coming from NY, living in a Manhattan apt. bldg., rain was always just a nuisance. Now I know differently.

I echo the thought. May our troops stay safe and come home soon. The folks on this thread with sons/daughters in the service should be PROUD !

This is the time of year the water turtles wander around looking to lay their eggs. Here along the coast we get a lot of Sliders and Common Snapping Turtles doing that.

You may be unaware that Galveston plays a major role in turtle rescue. For at least the last 20 years it's been raising baby Kemp's Ridley turtles in buckets until they are large enough to survive at sea.

http://galveston.ssp.nmfs.gov/

I've been lucky enough to swim with the Hawksbills at Bonaire and the giant Green Sea Turtles off Kona Hawaii.

Oh........the Promenade... Queen Nancy..... :) How are you guys? I booked that cruise on the 2010 Royal Voyagers TA, but canceled as I wanted to do another route. I am booked on the Jewel TA from Harwich to Boston 2012 via the Faroe Island's and Iceland............... It is a very popular ship so I had to book early.

I seem to remember you guys live in Florida so if you have any time at the end of your cruise please let me know as I would love to meet up again.

We would love to see you again. The Jewel TA is of great interest, but Buddy's work schedule will not allow us to sail at that time of year. Hope we can again sail together on a TA or you could come visit us in Panama City Beach.

Where there is a Prom, I will be there!

Nancy

I've been lucky enough to swim with the Hawksbills at Bonaire and the giant Green Sea Turtles off Kona Hawaii.

We're Bonaire alumni also. We dive and Bonaire is the berries! But...we didn't see one turtle while diving there. Lots of everything else, even a seahorse, but no turtles. Must've been the wrong season...seems like it was in September. Bonaire is great for diving/snorkeling but I didn't like the scenery much...all that cactis:o I prefer a tropical island not a desert island! But the diving was phenominal. My favorite thing was swimming with the Tarpon:

2naof3b.jpg

And the squid...we did a night dive and the squid were phenominal too! I just love them. They actually stop and investigate divers, just hang there in the water column changing colors...too cool. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera that night

Real rain drops are falling in Clear Lake City this morning. Brief showers that quickly move on but we've have four or five of them so far and we're looking for many more. Maybe enough to wash the dust off the roof.

Things have certainly changed. Facebooking, Skyp, e-mails from a war zone on a semi regular basis. Back in my service days I spent 3 years overseas and only communicated through snail mail the entire time. Not even a phone call, but our biggest risks were alcohol related.

Things have certainly changed with technology. When I was born my Dad was stationed in Korea and was in the heavy mortar division on the front lines. It took few days for him to find out that he had a new baby daughter and the message was sent by telegram. I know how comforting it is to the families that have sons and daughters overseas to be able to Skype with them and keep in contact via the internet. Of course, letter writing is now a lost art and with it went lots of written information for future generations.

While you're buzy wasting energy and getting exhausted from walking, we'll have an excuse to stay inside, be lazy, and not break a sweat since it will be RAINING the next few days here! :) We'll also be getting a pretty light show in the sky the next few nights! :D

LOL..... I saw all the rain on the radar yesterday afternoon. Glad to see some of it falling in Texas. Looks like more set to fire off today as well. I hope most of Texas gets some much needed rain as it looks to fire back up this weekend and go back to the previously scheduled drouth. :rolleyes:

Sweating bullets as the big fire in Grimes county is threatening the Renaissance Festival grounds near Plantersville. That would be a shame to lose that place. :eek:

And the squid...we did a night dive and the squid were phenominal too! I just love them. They actually stop and investigate divers, just hang there in the water column changing colors...too cool. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera that night

I encountered two squid off Curacao and you are so right, how strange they are. They look at you with curiosity!

Cephlapods are actually pretty smart as sea creatures go.

The turtles were in Feb. across the harbor along Klein Bonaire, there were a number of them. The Hawksbills reminded me of the Ridleys, not all that large. Tarpon, how neat, how big were they? I have been close to some fair sized Barracuda.

I encountered two squid off Curacao and you are so right, how strange they are. They look at you with curiosity!

Cephlapods are actually pretty smart as sea creatures go.

The turtles were in Feb. across the harbor along Klein Bonaire, there were a number of them. The Hawksbills reminded me of the Ridleys, not all that large. Tarpon, how neat, how big were they? I have been close to some fair sized Barracuda.

Wow...thats sounds amazing! I have never been snorkling (well not yet). Have you ever been to Cozumel...as that is where my first experience will occur. I doubt I will see any turtles...but how is the sealife there if you know??

Nice little storm here last night. Our newly sodded back yard was grateful.

Mr Wolf was AF as was his dad so thoughts and prayers for our troops are always with us.We appreciate their service and the sacrifice of their families.

So far here we got 2-3 minutes of big rain drops and nothing more....that is here at our Houston place...so far any radar check I have made showed zero (0) at the ranch where it is badly needed. I have to check our sprinkler system to make sure it is running...the yard here looks really bad for having the sprinkler on each night...I suspect the rain sensor wire may be broken causing problems.

I've seen tarpon each time I've snorkeled at Grand Cayman's Cheeseburger Reef as well as a lot of other interesting sea life including sharks. There are Green Sea Turtles at Buck Island in St Thomas but they have changed the name of Buck Island to something more touristy. All the turtles are tagged and there is a big fine if you touch one.

If you are going snorkeling in Cozumel, I would recommend you do a drift snorkel, off shore.

Much of what is close to the shore is trampled by folks that do not have a clue what damage they do by standing on coral, touching it, etc. Add to that, a few years back a hurrican "sat" over Cozumel for several days, destroying the coral and fish 'hiding' places.

Drift snorkel and the odds are you will see that turtle! Saw several last February, about 3 foot long....You will also see a much bigger variety of fish and coral.

Archived