*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Since some of y'all are talking about the drought...

The radar is showing a little bit of light rain in our area! Hasn't found our house yet, however. Haven't seen rain here in a few weeks, and the high temp was 105 yesterday and today. Looks like the drought is creeping closer and closer towards North Texas.

2746947980105476688S600x600Q85.jpg

It's looking especially bad for the rest of Texas! :eek: Wonder how much of Texas would be shaded under a D5 drought if there was a D5 category...

Side note: NWS just issued a severe T'storm Warning - but only for strong winds and not strong precip with hail. :(

Anyone going to watch the Conquest tomorrow?

Mooved the cattle between fields yesterday morning....next week they go into the last field with any new grass other than where I have all the hay stored...and soon I am going to be forced to move the hay and let them graze that field also. Got 2 new calves while on Legend...nice to see the cute faces but in the drought it's just two more head to feed...

Maybe next week I can get a hand full of mama cows and calves sold to someone...the drought is just that bad!!!

Good for you!:rolleyes:

Those condos are on the ship silly I just pretend that we are going down to the condo again every year...that way we don't get tired of that itenerary.

We got a heat advisory today...and I quote..."Temperatures expected today between 100 and 108" :eek: that's without the index! 40% of rain on Wednesday and 60% on Sunday...please God!!! We have been on mandatory conservation stage 2 for weeks here and there is NO water flowing at our river crossing on the Guadalupe right now, can't ever remember that happening in my lifetime. To the right and left of the bridge there are just little ponds and you can walk across the river in several places. Terrible!

Sure glad we got the mister for the patio last weekend, at least we can stay damp out there:(

I missed seeing the ship come into port! Up too late! I think we might seriously consider sailing on the Magic on the Bahamas/Key West itinerary. Just something different! Gotta get to Florida to get those newer ships from RCL!

I'm looking for an excursion in Roatan. So, the plantation was worth going to see?

Is it ever! We booked a private tour with Victor Bodden. We were 4 and Joani, our driver took us all over the island. For $25 each we really had a leisurely day. Probably 4 hours but there are no time limits with Victor's private tours. When you want it to end, it ends. Joani told us that visitors for the day at Parrot Tree can pay a small fee to use Parrot Tree's facilities. Gorgeous beach, clean restrooms. They have a restaurant but not sure how good the food is. I'm sure you can google it. I have no pics on this computer to post.

GCurry, we're looking to book in Jan 2013. Would love to go back to Roatan but thinking of Princess as well. They have 4 ports of call and one less sea day. Not sure when she'll be in Galveston. So wonderful to have these choices!!

Looked at the forecast today for Texas and seems like a realistic chance at rain mid next week. I hope so! Fingers, toes, eyes and legs crossed for everyone there.

We're laughing because it looks like cooler weather and rain are forecasted for as soon as we leave on vacation. We went down to Galveston yesterday and it was very pleasant compared to what it's been like here in Houston.

>>>waving good morning to everyone. I'm actually watching Conquest sail into Galveston Harbor even as we speak. It ain't RCI but it's a cruise ship! I have serious thoughts of booking our next cruise on the Carnival Magic. Just ONCE I want to be on a ship that's newer than 10 years old.

BeccBoo we loved Roatan. Visiting Parrot Tree Plantation, took the tour and loved it!! So lush, beautiful, peaceful. Hope your get-aways bring you much pleasure :)

I've been on the Conquest twice...it's not a bad ship, and there are some things that I think Carnival does very well, especially their MDR food. We'll be on the Carnival Dream in another week, and depending on how we like that we may try the Magic out of Galveston.

Right now we're booked on the Crown Princess in April of 2013, but we're giving serious thought to backing off of Galveston cruises for a while once I retire (in June of 2012). There are lots of places on our "bucket list" that we want to see, so we may give up convenience to get to those places instead of using one of Jim's vacation weeks to do the same old thing. Right now we're trying to pick our first cruise when school's in session.:) We're looking at HAL because they have some great itineraries. We're thinking about a 12 day Scandanavia, a 14 day Alaska, or a 14 day Canal repositioning. So many cruises, so little time!

Those condos are on the ship silly I just pretend that we are going down to the condo again every year...that way we don't get tired of that itenerary.

Wow, I didn't see that one coming. :eek: You sounded so convincing I also thought you meant dry land. :o Actually, visiting those ship"condos" every year sounds great !!

Is it ever! We booked a private tour with Victor Bodden. We were 4 and Joani, our driver took us all over the island. For $25 each we really had a leisurely day. Probably 4 hours but there are no time limits with Victor's private tours. When you want it to end, it ends. Joani told us that visitors for the day at Parrot Tree can pay a small fee to use Parrot Tree's facilities. Gorgeous beach, clean restrooms. They have a restaurant but not sure how good the food is. I'm sure you can google it. I have no pics on this computer to post.
We've gone with Victor, it was a good day ziplining and ended up at Parrot tree. The restaurant is very good especially the seafood.

GCurry, we're looking to book in Jan 2013. Would love to go back to Roatan but thinking of Princess as well. They have 4 ports of call and one less sea day. Not sure when she'll be in Galveston. So wonderful to have these choices!
We've pretty much concluded that we're Princess people as well and look forward to the Crown coming to Galveston. We did two cruises on the old Grand when she ported here and had a wonderful Southbound on the Diamond down from Anchorage. We've been flying to Lauderdale and doing the 10 days on HAL for the itineraries, but are really happier with Princess.

I missed seeing the ship come into port! Up too late! I think we might seriously consider sailing on the Magic on the Bahamas/Key West itinerary. Just something different! Gotta get to Florida to get those newer ships from RCL!

I'm looking for an excursion in Roatan. So, the plantation was worth going to see?

We're booked for a private tour with Victor Bodden later this month. I've heard nothing but rave reviews, and the pre-cruise communication has been stellar.

Since November... Texas has lost over 3 million acres to fires. This has been one rough cycle of La Nina. Even though it is now gone, the effects are not funny. Still seeing some relief along about wed. However I am afraid it will not last. I hope those with crops and cattle can last it out. Most of the crops are already lost I am afraid.

Happy fathers day to everyone!:D (Patting my self on the back)

We're laughing because it looks like cooler weather and rain are forecasted for as soon as we leave on vacation. We went down to Galveston yesterday and it was very pleasant compared to what it's been like here in Houston.

I've been on the Conquest twice...it's not a bad ship, and there are some things that I think Carnival does very well, especially their MDR food. We'll be on the Carnival Dream in another week, and depending on how we like that we may try the Magic out of Galveston.

Right now we're booked on the Crown Princess in April of 2013, but we're giving serious thought to backing off of Galveston cruises for a while once I retire (in June of 2012). There are lots of places on our "bucket list" that we want to see, so we may give up convenience to get to those places instead of using one of Jim's vacation weeks to do the same old thing. Right now we're trying to pick our first cruise when school's in session.:) We're looking at HAL because they have some great itineraries. We're thinking about a 12 day Scandanavia, a 14 day Alaska, or a 14 day Canal repositioning. So many cruises, so little time!

Cindy, I would give up covenience for those cruises you mentioned in a NY minute!! Go for it and enjoy.

Must be pretty windy in Galveston today. The Cruise Cam is shaking a lot in streaming mode. Still waiting for the Conquest to depart...

EDIT: Conquest is departing.

Yesterday it was definitely windy....here it was windy this morning....DD gave me a helicopter for father's day and the wind made flying it a bit tough...(small RC help, not the S76 I'd really like for my commute to the ranch).

We missed both the FLL cam and GLS cam today as DD wanted me to go out for dinner....

Dylan hope you did something nice for your dad...in 20-40 years it may be your turn to be treated well by kids.

@Klingoncruiser

yes it has been a rough years for many places Texas, and Arizona REALLY need some rain!!! I just noticed your sail date, maybe I can give you a ^5 as you exit and I enter :D

I will be easy to find. I will be the one being dragged from the ship by two burly crewmen as I leave claw marks down the gang plank trying to stay on board another week. :D

We got a heat advisory today...and I quote..."Temperatures expected today between 100 and 108" :eek: that's without the index! 40% of rain on Wednesday and 60% on Sunday...please God!!! We have been on mandatory conservation stage 2 for weeks here and there is NO water flowing at our river crossing on the Guadalupe right now, can't ever remember that happening in my lifetime. To the right and left of the bridge there are just little ponds and you can walk across the river in several places. Terrible!

Sure glad we got the mister for the patio last weekend, at least we can stay damp out there:(

Sorry about that BecciBoo, took it the wrong way, what can I say:confused:

Yes, our crops are gone!!! Milo is burned, cotton 3" high and is burning also. We are booked on the Mariner TA 11-2-12 and the Magic 2-5-12. Wanted to try the Magic. With this heat, I wished I had booked an Alaska cruise. Monterey,Ca looks good right now. Talked to friends out there last night and they were sitting on the beach with 65 degrees temp. I love that place.

I will be easy to find. I will be the one being dragged from the ship by two burly crewmen as I leave claw marks down the gang plank trying to stay on board another week. :D

You're going to be an easy find then!!!! LOL If I see squad cars show up...I am gonna video tape it all...post to you tube...LMAO (Although I may be the next one drug out of the ship since its been a 15 year wait for me)....:eek:

Big article in the paper on the effect the Panama canal project will have on Houston. Once the widening project is complete, we'll start getting the Panamax ships that are too big for the canal at this time. This can mean a lot of dredging of the ship channels and harbors around here to accomodate them.

Had a great Father's day topped by a call from my son in Iraq; it's 117 F

there in Basra; with rocket showers on occasion!

Turtle person, I used to save Eastern Box Turtles off highways in the Panhandle and keep them in my yard. They were hell on grasshoppers.

Big article in the paper on the effect the Panama canal project will have on Houston. Once the widening project is complete, we'll start getting the Panamax ships that are too big for the canal at this time. This can mean a lot of dredging of the ship channels and harbors around here to accomodate them.

Had a great Father's day topped by a call from my son in Iraq; it's 117 F

there in Basra; with rocket showers on occasion!

Turtle person, I used to save Eastern Box Turtles off highways in the Panhandle and keep them in my yard. They were hell on grasshoppers.

Thats wonderful! I do the same where I live, when its safe. Cant wait for my trip to Grand Cayman to see the turtle farm...been dreaming of it for years! :D Still waiting on a call from my son in Afhgan..hopefully any day now...oh and its suppose to be 100 here today...so I feel ya!!

My brother and family leave San Antonio Friday for their retirement in Mountain Home, Turtle Lover. No dearth of water in Arkansas, wish he would build a pipeline to supply us down here! Now both brothers will be in Arkansas. One on the White River! I will be visiting between cruises. Lows of 65 there this week:p We wanted to retire there also, but it would take too long for Todd to build back his I.T. business up there....so we opted for the hill country. With this drought though, I'm so worried about our well drying up.:eek: Who knows, we could be on the cusp of some "dust bowl" situation:eek:

I picked up a box turtle from the road up there several years ago. He had a large "A" painted on his shell. I thought he may have been used in some study at some time. But I took him home and gave him to my grandson. We named him Fonzie after the "Aaaaaaa" greeting Fonzie always gave. Still have that turtle to this day and he has grown some. Seems like there are tons of them in Arkansas crossing the street. After a while you get to feeling so sorry for them being run over.

Todd says it used to get to 120 to 130 degrees in Saudi when he was stationed there...hence the term "Africa hot" he uses to describe this weather!

None of us would be talking cruises, or future cruises, or past cruises if it were not for the young men and women who are willing to stand on the wall and protect freedom.

Just a reminder, say thank you when you see any service member!!!!

Thanks for the shots of yesterday's sailaway - what a gorgeous day. Our last few sailaways out of Galveston have been busted - bad weather or so late it's been dark. I'm glad Mariner will be doing 4:30.

We really like the Western ports - except jamaica. So far I'm not overwhelmed by what I have heard on Falmouth. I'm NOT getting in a car or shuttle to ride somewhere for an hour each way. We'll do an all inclusive close by or stay onboard. And Cozumel is one of our faves - Nachi Cocom is a little slice of heaven.

My brother and family leave San Antonio Friday for their retirement in Mountain Home, Turtle Lover. No dearth of water in Arkansas, wish he would build a pipeline to supply us down here! Now both brothers will be in Arkansas. One on the White River! I will be visiting between cruises. Lows of 65 there this week:p We wanted to retire there also, but it would take too long for Todd to build back his I.T. business up there....so we opted for the hill country. With this drought though, I'm so worried about our well drying up.:eek: Who knows, we could be on the cusp of some "dust bowl" situation:eek:

I picked up a box turtle from the road up there several years ago. He had a large "A" painted on his shell. I thought he may have been used in some study at some time. But I took him home and gave him to my grandson. We named him Fonzie after the "Aaaaaaa" greeting Fonzie always gave. Still have that turtle to this day and he has grown some. Seems like there are tons of them in Arkansas crossing the street. After a while you get to feeling so sorry for them being run over.

Todd says it used to get to 120 to 130 degrees in Saudi when he was stationed there...hence the term "Africa hot" he uses to describe this weather!

I grew up in Arkansas. We grew up in Little Rock and we went to UA in Fayetteville! My Dad and his wife lived on Lake Dardanelle in Shoal Bay, AR. I was absolutely gorgeous up there on the lake. We moved from Fayetteville to down here in Lake Jackson...culture shock!!!! Enjoy your visit to Arkansas!

Archived