*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

We are in West Houston near Kirkwood and IH10. Ranch is between Schulenburg and La Grange.

We had a small payout for loss of grazing land due to the drought as the government had already declared the disaster by the time I completed paperwork in March/April time frame...not sure if the additional months of drought will result in another payment or not...certainly could use more since I will be getting hay from away soon.

Something so weird happened today. I read this thread before going to work. Thought about turtles and never saw one in all the 8 years I'm living in TX. Guess what? DH picked me up from work and we passed a turtle on the road! I would say it was as big as a large dinner plate or frisbee. This is a highly built up area with huge corporate buldings. Think JC Penney, Dr. Pepper, Frito Lay, and you get the idea. There is one small creek under the main road. The turtle was right smack dab in the middle of two traffic lanes. Luckily, DH was able to move over to avoid hitting it. I hope it made it to wherever it was going or that someone was able to rescue it. Just so coincidental after reading all about turtles this morning.

"A coincidence is an event where God chose to remain anonymous" ;)

If you are going snorkeling in Cozumel, I would recommend you do a drift snorkel, off shore.

Much of what is close to the shore is trampled by folks that do not have a clue what damage they do by standing on coral, touching it, etc. Add to that, a few years back a hurrican "sat" over Cozumel for several days, destroying the coral and fish 'hiding' places.

Drift snorkel and the odds are you will see that turtle! Saw several last February, about 3 foot long....You will also see a much bigger variety of fish and coral.

I sure hope I see one. If not I will at least get to hold one or two at the Turtle Farm :D

I sure hope I see one. If not I will at least get to hold one or two at the Turtle Farm :D
As Texas Monk pointed out Coz is not the best as it gets pretty deep quickly as the edge of the island is the edge of the reef so you are drifting in 20 to 30 ft of water.

Bottom structure like coral heads attract a lot of fish and some places it can be quite shallow. Across the reef from Majahual at Costa Maya is some great snorkeling; Cayman was fantastic.

Where are you going on your cruise Turtle Lover?

As Texas Monk pointed out Coz is not the best as it gets pretty deep quickly as the edge of the island is the edge of the reef so you are drifting in 20 to 30 ft of water.

Bottom structure like coral heads attract a lot of fish and some places it can be quite shallow. Across the reef from Majahual at Costa Maya is some great snorkeling; Cayman was fantastic.

Where are you going on your cruise Turtle Lover?

My husband is a diver and he says that he likes diving in Cozumel better than St. Thomas. Of course, that's not snorkeling but diving.

:eek:

Tarpon, how neat, how big were they? I have been close to some fair sized Barracuda.

Some of them were 5 ft long. I never felt threatened even though we took pics pretty close up and I reached out and touched one. They are like liquid mercury. Buddy Dive has a resident Tarpon named Charlie. He is always there, another 5 to 6 fter. Since dive lights can stun the smaller fish, the tarpon hang around to grab them so they like divers.

We had rain all night long here..whew! Were we glad to see it. Will go down to the bridge this evening to see if the river is flowing yet. Even a trickle would be nice to see. It was getting pretty scary.

I have never snorkeled at Coz in the 6 times we visited, but did a drift dive from one of the hotels down the way from the piers near the dolphin pens. It was fantastic. We kept hearing the dolphin and wasn't aware of the pens so near and everybody kept looking out to the deep blue to see if a dolphin was there...then later on in the drift we came to the fence and the mystery was solved. Saw so many critters and fish, there are lots of human planted habitat like tires and cement blocks and the fish are just as willing to live in those as coral. Lots of sea grass...even saw a rock fish inside the tire. It was hard to drift as I wanted to stay at every little abode looking. We are excited with our next cruise as we plan to snorkel at Belize. I think we are taking the Turneffe or Rendezvous Cay snorkel tour there.

This is some kind of ray that was near the pier at Nachi Cocom that Todd spotted, but you have to swim way out to the edge of the wall to see anything much...too far for me without a boat:

2wfrfxi.jpg

This is some kind of ray that was near the pier at Nachi Cocom that Todd spotted

I believe that to be a Skate rather than a Ray Becci, but some one can always correct me.:)

My husband is a diver and he says that he likes diving in Cozumel better than St. Thomas. Of course, that's not snorkeling but diving.

Coz has a great diving reputation, I've got friends that fly there and Bonaire a couple of times a year.

My two stops in St. Thomas, I've always gone over to St. John to snorkel. Trunk Bay is a great one.

I can't dive anymore, the ears can't handle it.

Galveston used to have great Tarpon fishing, and you can still catch them offshore. Catch and release, as you can't eat those things.

Finally rain here along the coast the first real rain since Jan.. I was in Galveston this morning, and the island was getting it as well, not as much as the mainland but still it's been coming down most of the day.

Talked to some friends and about an inch of rain fell at home last night. Looks like much of the state got at least some. So thankful for that.

Off to Alaska tomorrow. Packing tonight and picking up a friend in the morning at the airport. When she gets here we are all off and headed for Kamloops, B.C.

Have to agree with Bonaire. We just did the 2 week S. Caribbean and the snorkeling just got better and better. I didn't think it could get better than Roatan but then hit Barbados, Curacao and Bonaire. I can't wait to snorkel when we go to Hawaii in April.

We got rain here this morning. Yipppeeee! It's the little things in life that make me happy.

Sherry

My snorkeling experience in Cozumel has been OK but not stellar. It was either deeper than I like or to strong a current. Years ago I use to snorkel right next to one of the piers and it wasn't bad for the price which was the cost of renting equipment. The downside was that you had to swim back against the current so you had to make sure you didn't go to far afield. That is a thing of the past with all the development around the piers.

The rain has stopped here but we got a pretty good soaking. We'll gladly take more.

DH checked rain gauge about 3:00 and we have had 2" of rain. Not enough but will take what we can get. Off to take granddaughter for her 10th bd to get her ears pierced and to dinner. Don't agree but Mom said it is OK. Daughter had to wait until 13 and I was 20 when I got mine done. Things are different now!!

DH checked rain gauge about 3:00 and we have had 2" of rain. Not enough but will take what we can get. Off to take granddaughter for her 10th bd to get her ears pierced and to dinner. Don't agree but Mom said it is OK. Daughter had to wait until 13 and I was 20 when I got mine done. Things are different now!!

My ranch neighbor said 2" out by the ranch...that should help some with the ponds as they were starting to look sad...and it is only June...hopefully we see some new grass growth.

Woke up about an hour ago and it was pouring here (South side of Houston)! The rain only stopped a few minutes ago. Hopefully we'll get more before the day is out.
We got that shower here in Bacliff, but they say we are still 18 inches under our normal rainfall.

It's also wonderfully cool out there for a change. Just as Galveston, our mornings often start at 83 F, as there is no cool down at night because of all the humidity.

Archived