Choice Air is HORRIBLE- HELP!!!!

Back to my personal gripe: :mad:

RCCL has their own set of parameters stating what's the latest flight arrival time for flights they will allow you to travel in on. In other words, if they think I can arrive as late as 1:30 pm and still make the ship, Choice Air will not accomodate me wanting to arrive before noon out of "personal preference". They are abiding by the RCCL guidelines and that's that. This is where I'm talking customer service... I didn't ask RCCL or Choice Air what time they think I should arrive by... I purchased tickets on a flight that I felt comfortable being on. And I booked & paid for it 5 months in advance just to ensure I could get those flights... But none of that was or is being taken into consideration.

So I'm held hostage, literally, by Choice Air. It's a horrible feeling. :(

I had this once before... according to my T/A RCI don't set the parameters.. The company that do the port transfers do... Apparently they tell RCI the latest flight arrival time they'll accept to ensure they can get you to the ship in time to check in, and board the ship before they have to tell the local authorities who's on the ship... I have no Idea about Choiceair, as i'm based in the UK... And apparently we can't use that yet..

Whenever a third party is utilized to book a cruise/flight etc. They "own" the reservation. Same with using RCCL to book air (as in cruise/flight package) they make the choices. This is the very reason we do not use a TA.

However, we have used Choice Air numerous times and RCCL had no say as to which flights were booked through the airline. We chose what airline, day to depart and our seats.

It seems apparent that OP purchased a package which is why RCCL made the flight arrangements.

Whenever a third party is utilized to book a cruise/flight etc. They "own" the reservation. Same with using RCCL to book air (as in cruise/flight package) they make the choices. This is the very reason we do not use a TA.

However, we have used Choice Air numerous times and RCCL had no say as to which flights were booked through the airline. We chose what airline, day to depart and our seats.

It seems apparent that OP purchased a package which is why RCCL made the flight arrangements.

RCI does not make air arrangements any longer.........they only offer Choice Air and this is who the OP booked their flight with.

Edited by cruisenfever

If I may quote the sentence in your previous post that I referred to in my response, perhaps you can tell me how I so rudely misstated your position:

"As many have stated, I NEVER book throught the cruise line because they give you no choice and no control."- my emphasis added. Choice Air does indeed offer you "choice and control". You get to select the airline and particular flight that you want to book, and you have the same ability to select your seats as you would if you booked directly. That to me is certainly "choice" and when the price difference is significant, I, and not the "benevolent" airline, will control how much I will pay. Choice Air is not always the best way to purchase your airfare which is why I recommend comparing all your options before deciding which way to go. About the only thing that I "always" believe is that advice that claims that there is "always" only one right way to do things or that one should "never" do something except in one particular way, usually isn't reliable or responsible.

The OP's original post proves my point. They gave her no choice and no control. She was booked on a flight she liked and Choice Air moved her without her consent. That is how I define no choice and no control. Your rudeness is evidenced by your statement that I misrepresented the facts. You in effect called me a liar without cause and with the facts of the OP's story to back up the case I was making. Further, I never stated that someone must "always" do anything, I simply suggested that a person has better control of their own destiny when they do not have a middle man involved.

Finally, I never indicated that airlines were benevolent, but when you reach a certain level within the frequent flyer programs, they do tend to treat us very well. The airlines normally do care about customer service and when you behave reasonably with them, they normally try to be helpful. The OP was so upset she was talking about going to the BBB, simply because of the lack of control and choice. How you fail to see the obvious is amazing.

I want the ability to pick my flights

I checked ChoiceAir for a one-way for a transatlantic. Not only did they let you pick your flight(s) from those offered, you could pick whatever day & destination airport you wanted as well. To top it off their one-way fare was a fraction of that charged by booking directly with an airline.

I didn't use them as I decided to use "miles" instead but otherwise I certainly would have.

Edited by pspercy

When I book with AirTran or Delta they always change my schedule. Last year there were 4 departure changes for one of my pre-cruise flights. I was getting worried I'd miss the ship! So changes are not uncommon for reservations no matter if you book with an agent or with the airline directly.

"I was getting worried I'd miss the ship!"

That's why I fly the day before my cruise.

I do agree this is a very unfortunate situation. I seems like this Choice Air is a way to book your air through RCCL and have choice over your flight schedule; however, Choice Air does have some "leeway" to reschedule you on a different flight if they so choice as long as it still get you to the ship in time. Maybe it's cutting it way too close by your standards and I would agree with you; however, I think your situation is rare (at least I hope so). It would be interesting to find out way they switched your flights and didn't contact you. But one thing you need to understand is if your flights are delayed and you can't make it to the ship in time RCCL is still responsible to fly you on down to the next port and arrange hotel accommodations to meet up with the ship plus you would get a refund of any missed cruise days. If you do independent air you are so out of luck. You would have to make those arrangements on your own (at last minute one-way prices), pay out of pocket and claim any reimbursement out of any travel insurance your purchases for this cruise. Whatever the case if you are unhappy with those flight arrangements and Choice Air you should continue to escalate the problem up the management chain at RCCL.

"But one thing you need to understand is if your flights are delayed and you can't make it to the ship in time RCCL is still responsible to fly you on down to the next port and arrange hotel accommodations to meet up with the ship plus you would get a refund of any missed cruise days." Not so, they just get you on the ship.

It also depends on how early you book your flights. ie Book in Jun for Dec. Airlines change times with the seasons all the time. I am from Canada. Where deicing is required almost all winter -50C is not unhear of. As a result we have fewer flights in the winter then the summer. So if you booked a flight for Dec in Jun it looks like you have a ton to choode from but they will cancel them starting in Oct and change your flights without notice. No airline gives notice of changes unless you request it.

• 5 years later...

There IS no benefit to using Choice Air!!! Only downsides. You are not guaranteed to be on any flight, the change you whenever THEY get a better deal, but you pay the same. We are on 4 flights with 4 different airlines!!!! And they don't supply any airport transfers. THEY ARE USELESS! And can't upgrade to extra legroom for the airline fee. The try to charge you a $200 penalty for changing your seat on THE SAME PLANE!!!! Also offer a refund if you find a cheaper flight but never pay it!!!

BOOK YOURSEL! deal directly with the airlines.

Choice Air is useless.

There IS no benefit to using Choice Air!!! Only downsides. You are not guaranteed to be on any flight, they change you whenever THEY get a better deal, but you pay the same. We are on 4 flights with 4 different airlines!!!! And they don't supply any airport transfers. THEY ARE USELESS! And can't upgrade to extra legroom for the airline fee. They try to charge you a $200 penalty for changing your seat on THE SAME PLANE!!!! And then charge you for the next class up, not the normal $35-100 extra legroom seat fee. Also offer a refund if you find a cheaper flight but never pay it!!! Disreputable crooks.

Choice Air is useless.

There IS no benefit to using Choice Air!!! Only downsides. You are not guaranteed to be on any flight, they change you whenever THEY get a better deal, but you pay the same. We are on 4 flights with 4 different airlines!!!! And they don't supply any airport transfers. THEY ARE USELESS! And can't upgrade to extra legroom for the airline fee. They try to charge you a $200 penalty for changing your seat on THE SAME PLANE!!!! And then charge you for the next class up, not the normal $35-100 extra legroom seat fee. Also offer a refund if you find a cheaper flight but never pay it!!! Disreputable crooks.

Choice Air is useless.

Five posts and they all say the same thing.

I know this is 6 year old thread, but I'll add my long winded two cents anyway. We used Choice Air in February for our flights JFK-SJU, We booked on Delta and the price was cheaper that on Delta's web site (Jet Blue and Southwest had not yet opened those dates yet). The only change we experienced was a both departures being moved up 1/2 hour. We were notified by Choice Air via email. We received our Delta confirmation number and were able to check our flights (seats, frequent flyer miles, etc.) on our own. Flights were fine.

We are using Southwest for our August cruise and made a change with no problem ($24 additional fare but no change fee). We will also try to use Southwest for our February 2018 cruise when the dates open.

Just another side to making your own reservations and airline changes. Several years ago we were flying JFK to Bermuda on Delta on a flight that left mid morning so we could get the benefit of that day in Bermuda. Lo and behold Delta changed the flight to late afternoon so we would arrive after dinner and loose the day in Bermuda. So we had to leave a day early and make a connection in Boston so we could take an early am flight to BDA the next day. Worked out OK but jus shows that problems are not limited to Choice Air.