Are There Ever Enough Hangers?

cakeordeath

Does anyone travel with their own hangars? I know you can request more but there never seems to be enough. This trip our teenage daughter and 11 year old son will both be with us so my guess is closet space will be at a premium!

I have some of those felt, skinny hangers and they weigh hardly anything. I thought maybe I would throw a dozen in.

Thoughts?

We pack most of our clothing in a rolling garment bag, so a lot is already on hangers. We always have extras in the closet, you can get more from the cabin steward if needed.

We hang the clothes back onto the hangers, repacking is a breeze, just like unpacking at the start of the cruise.

For the past few cruises, we have actually left the clothes on wire hangers when packing. Makes unpacking a breeze and the wrinkle factor is about the same.

And as you stated, the steward will get as many hangers as you want. The trick is to pack smart, no need to take three or four “outfits” for every day of the cruise. We figure each “item” will be worn at least twice and then take one “spare”. Can’t recall what the wife did, but for the last 7 day cruise I PACKED: 5 “day” shirts, 3 “dress” shirts, 1 casual pants, shorts, 2 dress pants and a suit. These plus what I wore the first day made for a light suitcase and enough to choose from for a week.

Remember the old adage, pack half the clothes and take twice the money.

We took a road trip/cruise that went for 15 days. Just took the above list, but hit the ship’s coin laundry half way through, no problem.

I always pack all of the clothes on hangers (that will be hung up in the closet). Then place them in plastic suit bags. No taking the time to hang everything up when we unpack, just hang them in the closet. We fold them over twice in the luggage (three times for longer items) and have never had a problem with wrinkled clothes this way. It just makes packing and unpacking go so quickly, we don't have to spend hours in the cabin when we arrive, or when it is time to pack to go home. :) And the smaller hangers don't take up as much room in the closet as those large wooden ones do.

If you take your own hangers, please be kind and take them back home again. On disembarkation day on our Oasis cruise, the hallway was riddled with passengers' hangers; the room stewards do not leave them in the room. My guess is they get thrown out. Such a waste.

I'd ask you to please take them back home and if you don't want them; you can always recycle them at thrift stores, shelters, perhaps physician's offices, wherever.... I just hate the thought of them going in the trash because people don't take them home again.

Thank you. :D

If you take your own hangers, please be kind and take them back home again. On disembarkation day on our Oasis cruise, the hallway was riddled with passengers' hangers; the room stewards do not leave them in the room. My guess is they get thrown out. Such a waste.

I'd ask you to please take them back home and if you don't want them; you can always recycle them at thrift stores, shelters, perhaps physician's offices, wherever.... I just hate the thought of them going in the trash because people don't take them home again.

No, they are not thrown out. They are put into storage for future cruisers. The only time the stewards had trouble getting extra hangers for me (I always ask for some) was on the inaugural cruise of the Dream and he apologized, saying that they had not had a chance to accumulate any yet. Wire hangers may be thrown away (who cares?) but the plastic ones are kept for future cruisers' needs.

Great point :-)

Great idea. I didn't even think about the cheap wire ones. If we needed the room on the way home I wouldn't feel bad about leaving them behind. Where can you buy those? Big box store?

Go by your local dry cleaning store. They will sell them to you.

Keith

No, they are not thrown out. They are put into storage for future cruisers. The only time the stewards had trouble getting extra hangers for me (I always ask for some) was on the inaugural cruise of the Dream and he apologized, saying that they had not had a chance to accumulate any yet. Wire hangers may be thrown away (who cares?) but the plastic ones are kept for future cruisers' needs.

I've been on a couple ships tours with a TA in the past. They may keep some of the hangers, but you should see how many are in the trash! They couldn't possibly keep all the hangers that people leave behind.

We use wire hangers and plastic dry cleaners bags to prevent wrinkling. We repack the same way going home, so we recycle the wire hangers/bags ourselves.

No, they are not thrown out. They are put into storage for future cruisers.

The only hangers I have ever seen on my cruises are the wooden ones which are supplied in the closet. I have never seen a wire hanger in the closet.

Wire hangers may be thrown away (who cares?)....

Obviously I care, hence my entire post. Thanks. :p :rolleyes:

The only hangers I have ever seen on my cruises are the wooden ones which are supplied in the closet. I have never seen a wire hanger in the closet.

They are not going to be in your closet. The stewards have them in their storage closet and they are available upon request. They are pretty popular, I think, as my steward sometimes has to look for a bit before he can get me 10 or so.

Obviously I care, hence my entire post. Thanks.

Well, the dry cleaners don't. But my city is HUGE on recycling so I don't stress over it much. I have two barrels for trash. The recycling bin is usually just as full as the dirty trash bin, and they are picked up weekly.

I'm still not going to lose sleep over a wire hanger, though. :cool::p:rolleyes:

I take one cheap plastic hanger to use to drip dry clothes and that's it. I have never used all the hangers in the closet of any ship I've been on.

I send my husband's good shirts to the cleaners before we leave home and have them folded for travel. Costs a bit more but making packing much easier and the shirts are much less wrinkled.

By the way, never, ever take a hanger from a hotel as some chains are now charging $25 per hanger. Hyatt comes to mind.

Prior to our trip, I saved up the cheap metal hangers and the plastic bags our dry cleaning comes in. Hung my tops on the hangers and then covered with a plastic bag (groups of 3 or so) and put in my suitcase. Easy peasy unpacking.

Just trying to do my part to help the earth.

Congratulations. I separate everything in the trash accordingly and recycle half of everything out the door. Happily, I live in a city that helps provide it.

But good to know we can count on your help with those wire thingys. Check with your neighbors, though, because they might be getting dry cleaning and not reusing theirs.

By the way, never, ever take a hanger from a hotel as some chains are now charging $25 per hanger. Hyatt comes to mind.

How is that possible? Don't they disconnect from the ring that stays on the rod? And who would want to take them, anyway?:confused:

Does anyone travel with their own hangars? I know you can request more but there never seems to be enough. This trip our teenage daughter and 11 year old son will both be with us so my guess is closet space will be at a premium!

I have some of those felt, skinny hangers and they weigh hardly anything. I thought maybe I would throw a dozen in.

Thoughts?

Why? The cabin steward will bring you handfuls of them for the asking.

Ok, you all convinced me...I repacked and took our val-pack where we can hang our clothes on the hangers while packed :-)

I don't usually like using it because it is large and I always worry about the big fees for going over the weight limit with airlines...but these are summer clothes and are billowy and light.

Thank you, as usual, Cruise Critic friends!

Took a little time to repack but I feel much better about the result.

Archived