Advice - Princess EZ Air or Booking Air on our Own?

JustinPlusLauren

You may think it is your reservation, and find out differently like I did.

I am using Princess Air for my Transatlantic trip this fall on the Ruby. I booked a Flexible Fare in January 2012 and also paid for the cruise and the air to lock in my flights and fare on Delta. The fare was much better than anything I could find other than Princess due to two one-way tickets.

I also received an airline booking (Confirmation) number and selected seats after booking. Everything looked great.

Imagine my surprise in May when my I checked my reservation and found my out bound air arrangements had been changed to a completely different routing. My original out bound routing was still available but at a significantly higher price with only a few seats available.

Princess blamed Delta. I called Delta and after speaking to a couple of different agents was told that Princess didn't actually pay for a ticket, they were just holding space from my home airport to Venice. Since I had not been ticketed, they could move my trip around since they were still taking me to venice. They suggested I have Princess actually issue a ticket, not just hold a reservation. I called princess back and spoke with their air department. They finally admitted that for the flexible tickets, the passengers are not actually ticketed until past the 45 day point and the air is no longer refundable. Princess just blames Delta. They want me to pay the new higher price in order to put me back on my original flight

While the new reservation will work, it is not what I thought I picked and paid for. I am still working to resolve the situation. I now change in Amsterdam instead of JFK.

A Flexible fare is definitely different than a restricted fare. A restricted fare is ticketed immediately because it is non-refundable when purchased.

That makes total sense.. What I booked for Europe was a restricted fare. Airlines do not book flexible fares and it is only when Princess actually confirms and pays the airline that the flight is actually booked. Knowing this I would personally not book a "flexible fare". The only perceived advantage to the flexible fare is not having to pay until later.

I am glad I booked a restricted fare. It is virtually the same as booking directly with the airline. Pricing can be compared, and I usually do what is the best value.

The restricted fare was a bit less expensive also.. Since I was looking for the best pricing, I selected it.. Now I am really glad I did, as I did not know the real differences.

Edited by Matcodixon

We have booked through Princess using the Cruise Personlizer a couple of times. The cost was less than any we could find elsewhere including Kayak. We were given the airline confirmation numbers, selected seats, and checked in directly on the airlines' sites. No problem at all. One was a restricted nonrefundable flight with the other a flexible flight (cheaper than the restricted).

Now in regard to the one way flight comments. For our cruise we are flying into Venice and flying home from Barcelona. That involves two one way flights. I checked various options on my own to compare with the EZ air prices and Princess was much less expensive by a significant amount.

To sum it up. Do your research. it is easy to compare pricing and flights between booking on your own and booking with EZ air. do what makes the most sense for you.

You know that's just a multi-city flight right? And not two one ways. They're very common and usually around $100 more than a return flight. Multi-city should be one of the options when you book through any airline.

You know that's just a multi-city flight right? And not two one ways. They're very common and usually around $100 more than a return flight. Multi-city should be one of the options when you book through any airline.

Actually I did not know about Multi-city options. I just checked with the USAirways site and found our flights listed using the multi-city option. The price from them directly is Exactly the same as what we paid booking through Princess.

I guess it is fair to say that we did not save any money with EZair, but it certainly did not cost any more either. I kind of like having the additional protection offered by Princess in this case.

I learned something new today, as I often do when reading the CC boards. :D

I would recommend booking flights on your own and buying travel insurance, based on our experience. Last year we booked our flights through eZAIR from Winnipeg to San Juan and paid $1130. Our cruise was cancelled and Princess refunded all our money except for our flights. We were told they would hold it as credit for one year. Now we have a cruise booked for December and, because Princess had booked our previous flights with United Airlines, we must use it this time. A flight from Winnipeg to Fort Lauderdale with United will cost us $2300. If I were to use another airline, I could save more than half that. I am not impressed.

Actually I did not know about Multi-city options. I just checked with the USAirways site and found our flights listed using the multi-city option. The price from them directly is Exactly the same as what we paid booking through Princess.

I guess it is fair to say that we did not save any money with EZair, but it certainly did not cost any more either. I kind of like having the additional protection offered by Princess in this case.

Glad I could help :)

You have said that a few times. Have you actually figured out how to book a one way flight with Princess? I don't ever have that option. It's always return and I don't want that, I can do a Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver a lot cheaper. I just want the Transatlantic portion. Royal Caribbean's air site allows for true one ways but I have never been able to find that on Princess. For any transatlantic I look at they're no cheaper than booking myself.

When I have done it, it has been under two different sets of circumstances:

1) Ship embarkation was near home, so no flight required to get to the ship; then the one way needed was from Europe back to home airport.

2) I was on a b2b and the system allowed me to book return from Europe without booking a plane on the first segment

I do find the RCCL had a higher price than the airlines do for one way travel. Actually, the RCCL site would not quote at all and said I had to call for a quote which ended up being higher than I could do myself.

I would recommend booking flights on your own and buying travel insurance, based on our experience. Last year we booked our flights through eZAIR from Winnipeg to San Juan and paid $1130. Our cruise was cancelled and Princess refunded all our money except for our flights. We were told they would hold it as credit for one year. Now we have a cruise booked for December and, because Princess had booked our previous flights with United Airlines, we must use it this time. A flight from Winnipeg to Fort Lauderdale with United will cost us $2300. If I were to use another airline, I could save more than half that. I am not impressed.

Just make sure the travel insurance would cover that circumstance with a cash refund. It might just say the airline is refunding it as a credit, just as what happened to you, and only cover a change fee to use that credit.

We have booked through Princess using the Cruise Personlizer a couple of times. The cost was less than any we could find elsewhere including Kayak. We were given the airline confirmation numbers, selected seats, and checked in directly on the airlines' sites. No problem at all. One was a restricted nonrefundable flight with the other a flexible flight (cheaper than the restricted).

If you can select a seat, then a ticket has been issued.

When I have done it, it has been under two different sets of circumstances:

1) Ship embarkation was near home, so no flight required to get to the ship; then the one way needed was from Europe back to home airport.

2) I was on a b2b and the system allowed me to book return from Europe without booking a plane on the first segment

I do find the RCCL had a higher price than the airlines do for one way travel. Actually, the RCCL site would not quote at all and said I had to call for a quote which ended up being higher than I could do myself.

Strange...people are getting amazing one way deals on their new Choice Air that I can't get close to on Princess. I can now see how you get the one way if it's a driving port.

You have NO protection from Princess. They have nothing to do with your flights other than having acted as your booking agent.

What some people do not understand, that these "restrictive" tickets, may not be endorsable- (find out what that is). You also may be at the bottom for rebooking if needed.

You have NO protection from Princess. They have nothing to do with your flights other than having acted as your booking agent.

What some people do not understand, that these "restrictive" tickets, may not be endorsable- (find out what that is). You also may be at the bottom for rebooking if needed.

Since I have a confirmation from the airline along with seat assignments done on the airlines website and it is fully paid for, I will assume it is as secure as booking directly. I realize that airlines are the ones in final control of everything.

Since I have Princess travel insurance, as a benefit, they will cover un-reimbursed costs in case of a cancellation. I know that the airline will issue a credit and not cash. Also Princess will help resolve any issues with my flight if there are problems, just like any other agent (Like Travelocity, etc)

What is a "restrictive" ticket? What makes you think that this would possibly be one? I understand Endorsable and Non Endorsable as related to the ability to transfer to another airline.

Edited by Matcodixon

Please go to the Cruise Air section of Cruise Critic and read enough to really inform yourself on what you are buying when you buy from a cruise line air department, a consolidator (and that includes travelocity, expedia,CheapOAir, kayak) or several other outlets that promise BIG discounts but don't mention the big restrictions and big risks you are assuming by buying these tickets. As one of the wise ones on this board has said: " when all goes well you will never know the differences between these tickets and the ones from the airlines BUT let something go wrong and YOU WILL know the differences very quickly and you won't like it". Restrictions are in the codes and you don't even see those important facts -- they are not available at all because your contract is with the seller not the airline. Just why would an airline let someone else sell their tickets and undercut their price if "the tickets are exactly the same as the airline tickets" and why would anybody bother to sell you the tickets and risk getting stuck with unused product if they didn't hope to make a profit??

I buy my insurance from a company that is NOT providing the services. If the ship goes "belly up" financially do you want to wait in line for your money back along with the fuel seller, food seller and liquor provider. Cruise line insurance is worst than even self insurance (you just cover the cost if something goes wrong). Trip insurance is more than just the cost of the cruise -- if you get sick or have accident, get delayed or need evacuation, lose your luggage or have a close relative die trip insurance is often very helpful. Again you just have to do your homework.

Princess is a nice company but they do not have your best interests as their priority! The only person that really cares about you and works for your best interests is YOU. The time to set yourself in the best possible situation if something goes wrong is BEFORE the trip. Trips are major investments of money and time -- do your best to understand what your rights and risks are. CC boards have a wealth of information to help you but it too is just opinions and advice and information for you to use in making a deliberate decision. Don't go looking for someone to protect and tell you what is best because that decision is yours alone.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

• 1 year later...

We booked a flight from Miami to Portugal, Portugal onto Venice Italy for November 14, 2013. The price through ezair and Princess Cruise lines was $452 per person Economy class.

The airline we chose was TAP and had we wanted to fly on November 15 or the 16th the cost would've been $1000 more per person.

The money we saved on airfare allowed us to spend two extra days in Venice before boarding the Ruby Princess for a 27 day Mediterranean cruise.

Checked EZair for our B2B in June out of Southampton. The quote for Portland to London was $580 pp, good price and good flights. The return to Portland was $1084 pp. The combined RT would have cost about $40 more than booking with Delta. Looks like I will stick with booking through the airlines.

We havve used ezar twice. One with Princess and once w the HAL equivalent of EZAir. Both times, the fares were significantly cheaper than anything that I could get by myself including consolidator prices. Both times, we were able to tell the cruise line that we did not want their 1st suggestion as to airline and flight route and time and they came up with ones that worked for us.

We had no problems.

DON

One way flights can be less expensive when booked with EZAir, especially when flying overseas.

Certainly doesn't apply for we who fly out of Australia. We are flying Australia/Buenos Aires - LA/Australia. We have fares for just under AUD2000. Princess wanted approx $7000 for the same trip :eek:- yes, that was restricted economy. Checking flights one way with them was just as expensive.

I have found within North America I can generally get flight cheaper than EZ Air however we have done extremely well booking through EZ on European flights...in Sept. YVR, LHR, FCO and VCE, LHR, YVR was about $536 each round trip which was an outstanding price.

We used EZAir once and will not do it again - as was mentioned, if there are no problems, you are probably fine, but if something goes wrong (which happened to us), you are totally on your own. We paid in full our cruise fare and air fare early in order to pick our seats on the plane - the airline changed the plane so our seat choices were lost. I contacted the airline to fix the problem, they said to contact the cruise line, the cruise line said to contact the airline - absolutely nobody would help us. Also, initially we did save money by using EZAir, but the price of the cruise went down a lot and we could not take advantage of that, unless we cancelled the entire cruise and air and re booked under a new booking number - which we'd then have to incur a cancellation fee through the airline. In the future we will take care of ourselves and book through the airlines directly.

I have found within North America I can generally get flight cheaper than EZ Air however we have done extremely well booking through EZ on European flights...in Sept. YVR, LHR, FCO and VCE, LHR, YVR was about $536 each round trip which was an outstanding price.

I agree with you about N.A.

But your European flights - Wow! That is a great price. Was that flying BA?

• 4 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I will get a quote, but think twice about booking with ezAir. I have no problems researching prices and shedules, then booking myself or via a TA. Having that e-ticket 'in-hand' is a good feeling. We always buy travel insurance and arrive a day or so before the cruise.

• 2 years later...

We are about to set out on a 23-day Asian Cruise. We purchased Princess' EZAir. But Princess is neither making this easy nor worry-free for us. Due to flight itinerary changes since booking date, our connection time has become tight, particularly at this time of year. Earlier flights are available (same pricing as booked) which could alleviate a potential problem. It would certainly provide comfort for two seniors.

Princess has repeatedly refused to assist us with a change. Princess insists we deal with the airlines involved. Both airlines involved insist it is with the booking agent (Princess).

Both myself and our travel agent have been sent around in full circles. Our agent fully believes it is Princess' responsibility to bring about the changes. That would assure us the "worry-free air travel which they promise in their brochures, advertising, and web site.

CRUISE TRAVELLERS - IGNORE PRINCESS' PROMISES AND GLOSSY BROCHURES RE EZAIR SERVICES. THOSE SERVICES DO NOT EXIST!

Do it yourself or use a reliable travel agent.

We are about to set out on a 23-day Asian Cruise. We purchased Princess' EZAir. But Princess is neither making this easy nor worry-free for us. Due to flight itinerary changes since booking date, our connection time has become tight, particularly at this time of year. Earlier flights are available (same pricing as booked) which could alleviate a potential problem. It would certainly provide comfort for two seniors.

Princess has repeatedly refused to assist us with a change. Princess insists we deal with the airlines involved. Both airlines involved insist it is with the booking agent (Princess).

Both myself and our travel agent have been sent around in full circles. Our agent fully believes it is Princess' responsibility to bring about the changes. That would assure us the "worry-free air travel which they promise in their brochures, advertising, and web site.

CRUISE TRAVELLERS - IGNORE PRINCESS' PROMISES AND GLOSSY BROCHURES RE EZAIR SERVICES. THOSE SERVICES DO NOT EXIST!

Do it yourself or use a reliable travel agent.

So sorry to hear this. Princess has a whole department dedicated to EZ Air, and they should be assisting you with flight changes and request. If your travel agent isn't getting results from EZ Air, they should request to speak with a supervisor at EZ Air. Also, every agent has a district sales manager that can also facilitate getting in touch with the right person. The airline is right - it's up to EZ Air to fix it. Good luck!

We booked Easyair to S America, sorry we did. They put us on COPA, we asked for Biz upgrade and now after non refundable booking find out seats only recline part way. On Lufthansa you get a bed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+of+copa+business+class&view=detailv2&&id=A7D7F7AAB727BFC02DB56489E9D1053597D38A95&selectedIndex=5&ccid=2QxpzYQl&simid=608009053586131141&thid=OIP.Md90c69cd84253e98700f3aad83ed1762o0&ajaxhist=0

Oh well! Here we come SA, in a mailing tube for people.

Edited by WupperAV